ADVERTISEMENT

UTEP's 2015 football schedule

MinerInWisconsin

MI Miner Maniac
Nov 28, 2001
I think 7 should be the minimum number of wins with 9 a realistic goal.

From the UTEP website:

2015 UTEP Football Schedule

Sept. 5 at Arkansas

Sept. 12 at Texas Tech

Sept. 19 at New Mexico State

Sept. 26 INCARNATE WORD

Oct. 3 UTSA*

Oct. 10 at FIU*

Oct. 24 FLORIDA ATLANTIC*

Oct. 31 at Southern Miss*

Nov. 7 RICE*

Nov. 14 at Old Dominion*

Nov. 21 LOUISIANA TECH*

Nov. 28 at North Texas*

Home games in ALL CAPS | * Denotes C-USA Games

This doesn't get me all excited to renew my season tkts.Oh well...On a bright note we will be bowling again next year

We get our two toughest conference games, la tech and rice, at home. Looking at the schedule we should be favored in all eight conference games. I think we have a decent chance to set a school record for wins.

Originally posted by El Paso Chihuahuas:

Originally posted by Minerforlife:
Looking at the schedule we should be favored in all eight conference games.
What makes you say that?
Like i said our two toughest games la tech and rice, are at home. We have to go to ODU but they lose their record setting qb taylor heincke and most of their offense, they will be rebuilding. UTSA will be god awful they are following the Georgia State path if they win two games i will be suprised. UNT is a sub 500 team and we will dominate them in the trenches on both sides. FIU is terrible. USM will be our toghest game they will be much improved and we will be on the road. I can see USM going 7-5 or 8-4. Ironically FAU may be the best conference team we play. Im glad the game is in El Paso not Boca Raton it could be a preview of the cusa championship game.

Looking at the schedule we should be favored in all eight conference games.
What makes you say that?
Like i said our two toughest games la tech and rice, are at home. We have to go to ODU but they lose their record setting qb taylor heincke and most of their offense, they will be rebuilding. UTSA will be god awful they are following the Georgia State path if they win two games i will be suprised. UNT is a sub 500 team and we will dominate them in the trenches on both sides. FIU is terrible. USM will be our toghest game they will be much improved and we will be on the road. I can see USM going 7-5 or 8-4. Ironically FAU may be the best conference team we play. Im glad the game is in El Paso not Boca Raton it could be a preview of the cusa championship game.
I hope you're right! If I learned anything about following UTEP athletics for many years- never be too confident in your predictions.

Way too early for predictions...but the potential is there with so much experience returning. We should have a Bowl team, but just how special a season depends on the QB position. We desperately need that position to shine next year. I like that UTSA, Rice and La Tech are at home. TT kept their coach, I don't see a marked improvement from them. Again, depends on our QB. Looking forward to an even better defense, Stoker is the real deal. Horrible September schedule, no excuse.

Originally posted by allminer:
Horrible September schedule, no excuse.
You do realize UTEP is @ Arkansas and @ Texas Tech in September?
I realize you sometimes need help connecting the dots, no home game until the 26th is what I was getting at.

Horrible September schedule, no excuse.
You do realize UTEP is @ Arkansas and @ Texas Tech in September?
I realize you sometimes need help connecting the dots, no home game until the 26th is what I was getting at.
It's hard to connect the dots without enough information.
wink.r191677.gif

Ok, sorry to get back to the thread and interrupt your conversation on this board:

I think that there is no reason that we don't beat Texas Tech next year. We are going to be an improved football team, and this is finally the year where we should expect to win this kind of game. I could never really say that before.

I think ALLMINER hit on my thoughts for next year and thats QB...QB....QB. Schedule is soft, so soft that its softer than Bob's newscaster hair. Even with a mediocre QB we win around 4 games. Now if we have a good QB the skys the limit, minus the Arkansas game.

This post was edited on 2/3 9:42 AM by kappasigmaminer

The biggest thing about the challenge of the Arkansas and Texas Tech games are that UTEP is competitive and gets through those two games with zero injuries. More so with Arkansas than Tech. But UTEP should welcome the challenge to compete against Arkansas and be ready. It'll be a big game, but at the end of the day, they're football players, so they (meaning Arkansas) better be ready to play.

On the flip side, let's hope the OC gets more creative with his formations and play calling. Even more, that the offense finally shows the balance Kugler has been searching for cause we're not beating Arkansas up with the run game only.

Good post. With more weapons on offense, I expect UTEP to win at Tech. They have had a horrible run defense for years and that's not something you overcome within one year.

I don't know what they're doing at North Dakota State. But Coach Kug needs to buy a bottle of that recipe and spread to the players. Sadly, the Arkansas game is going to be an ass kicking. Arkansas is expected to make serious noise this coming year in the SEC.

Lastly, the schedule sucks, but UTEP can and should expect to win the western side of CUSA.

This is the worse UTEP schedule under the Stull regime I have ever seen. Price wouldn't put up with this schedule, I don't know why Kugler does?
This post was edited on 2/3 10:27 AM by utep2step

How far out do they do they're schedule?

The Arkansas is a meat hook game. However, if they take UTEP too lightly, it can be a trap game. The only way it's not is if we go 95-5 with the run game (95 for the run game - 5% on the pass).

The O has to have more balance.

For major conference opponents, three to five years out. I believe we owe OU two games for the one game they came down here for. OU loves UTEP for some reason, but for some gosh darn reason they will not play us in basketball.

Fans need to fill the stadium or UTEP will be doing these games for a while. Kugler has to reach out to the community a little bit more. I know its not his schtick, but he needs to do it.
This post was edited on 2/3 11:14 AM by utep2step

We played ou in basketball during Barbee's third year and beat them by 10.

Im not worried about football attendance.Last year we were coming off eight straight losing season there was no buzz around the program. There is more buzz and excitement around football now than at any time last season.
This post was edited on 2/3 11:21 AM by Minerforlife

Originally posted by MinerInWisconsin:
I think 7 should be the minimum number of wins with 9 a realistic goal.
I'll make no such assertion with a new QB. 7 wins and a bowl game is a realistic goal (because of our defense), but I'm not so confident with so many unknowns on the offense.

I didn't want to say it, but I thought it was at least three years out. So this schedule was agreed upon before Kugler got here.

As for filling up the stands, I'm on record as saying it's a joint project between better marketing efforts by the Athletic Department and the University. Kugler has to do his part and put those "W's" on the board and I think he will. But the school needs to invest in some new and innovative marketing strategy and you don't always need a big budget to do that.

Originally posted by Tribalwarriorx:
As for filling up the stands, I'm on record as saying it's a joint project between better marketing efforts by the Athletic Department and the University. Kugler has to do his part and put those "W's" on the board and I think he will. But the school needs to invest in some new and innovative marketing strategy and you don't always need a big budget to do that.
Good point. Chih has suggested multiple times that UTEP borrow from the marketing strategies of the Chihuahuas. I'd be interested to hear some specifics about what the Chihuahuas do differently from UTEP that could be borrowed.

Originally posted by FeralFelidae:
Good point. Chih has suggested multiple times that UTEP borrow from the marketing strategies of the Chihuahuas. I'd be interested to hear some specifics about what the Chihuahuas do differently from UTEP that could be borrowed.
The one thing that the Chihuahuas do best is they have giveaway items. I heard that UTEP was mad that the Chihuahuas gave away a Don Haskins bobblehead. UTEP has many years to give one away and they never did it.

The Chihuahuas have a promotion for every game- whether it's a giveaway, kids eat free, seniors eat free, fireworks, military night, $2 concessions.

Also, you can get a ticket for $5. Can't really beat that seeing the highest level of Minor League Baseball.

This post was edited on 2/3 5:01 PM by El Paso Chihuahuas

LOL. I'm sure they can't do the $5 ticket thing, but everything else is on the table. They just need to answer the question on if they want to be proactive and promote the program or keep shuffling their feet.

There are 5 home football games versus 71 home baseball games. The Chihuahuas can school UTEP on a lot of thing though. Some things will not be comparable simply due to the number of games.

Originally posted by MistaBinks:
There are 5 home football games versus 71 home baseball games. The Chihuahuas can school UTEP on a lot of thing though. Some things will not be comparable simply due to the number of games.
That's the problem. If the Chihuahuas can succeed for over 70 games, why can't UTEP do it for 5 games?

That's the problem. If the Chihuahuas can succeed for over 70 games, why can't UTEP do it for 5 games?
Comparing minor league baseball with college football is absurd. Minor league baseball is a cheap gimmicky driven endeavor. Winning and losing isnt the point in minor league baseball development is. Almost all the expenses and management decisions are paid for and taken care of by the parent club.

On the other hand college football is big buisness. Its the cash cow that pays for all the other programs. College football is about finding and retaining huge coorporate sponsors and keeling big money boosters happy.

One thing you arent taking into account is that the chihuahuas play in a beautiful new stadium which is the first new stadium in El Paso in twenty five years. Lets see how they are doing when the newness wears off. Last year they averaged 7800 fans a game all of their tickets are cheaper than the cheapest UTEP football ticket. The Chihuhuas are fun and the ballpark is a great addition to downtown but they arent comparable to UTEP Football.

Thanks for responding what I wanted to - but, didn't want to waste the time/energy responding to this clown....

Comparing minor league baseball with college football is absurd. Minor league baseball is a cheap gimmicky driven endeavor. Winning and losing isnt the point in minor league baseball development is. Almost all the expenses and management decisions are paid for and taken care of by the parent club.

On the other hand college football is big buisness. Its the cash cow that pays for all the other programs. College football is about finding and retaining huge coorporate sponsors and keeling big money boosters happy.

One thing you arent taking into account is that the chihuahuas play in a beautiful new stadium which is the first new stadium in El Paso in twenty five years. Lets see how they are doing when the newness wears off. Last year they averaged 7800 fans a game all of their tickets are cheaper than the cheapest UTEP football ticket. The Chihuhuas are fun and the ballpark is a great addition to downtown but they arent comparable to UTEP Football.
The owners of the Chihuahuas pay for the stadium and its expenses. The Padres only pay the players.

The Chihuahuas will succeed for many decades to come because it's a first class operation. They will do just as good if not better this year.

I am not comparing the two- all I'm saying is if the Chihuahuas can do promotions for over 70 games, why can't UTEP do it for a their football games. I can market UTEP football in my sleep. It's really not that hard. Give out bobbleheads, do trading card sets, bring in former players and have them sign before the games, etc.

LOL. I'm sure they can't do the $5 ticket thing, but everything else is on the table. They just need to answer the question on if they want to be proactive and promote the program or keep shuffling their feet.
They can do $5 tickets for the Incarnate Word game just to bring people in. I just don't get it. I don't understand what UTEP's marketing team does all year. They clearly are paid for not doing much.

NMSU does a promotion every single game. They gave out trading cards, had Lou Henson bobbleheads, halftime acts, etc. I just don't get why UTEP doesn't do anything.

They can do $5 tickets for the Incarnate Word game just to bring people in. I just don't get it. I don't understand what UTEP's marketing team does all year. They clearly are paid for not doing much.

NMSU does a promotion every single game. They gave out trading cards, had Lou Henson bobbleheads, halftime acts, etc. I just don't get why UTEP doesn't do anything.
Just curious, how well did those promotions work for nmsu? Sell-outs? Did it truly increase attendance by a major percentage? Did they have to remove those tarps off the seats at the Pan Am? You seem to know a lot about the aggies, got any hard figures?

Just curious, how well did those promotions work for nmsu? Sell-outs? Did it truly increase attendance by a major percentage? Did they have to remove those tarps off the seats at the Pan Am? You seem to know a lot about the aggies, got any hard figures?
I think they average around 6k a game. Not bad for a city of about 100k.

When talking about marketing the program, I'm talking about building the brand (which includes brand awareness) to the community, to high school kids, and to local and regional business community. The bobblehead's and other stuff like that are good, but they don't work for the long term and don't necessarily BUILD the brand or the awareness.

As much as I hate to point fingers and I'm certainly not putting UTEP's budget in the same league with Oregon, but the Ducks had the same dilemma. First, just to put it in perspective, if you've never been to Eugene, then you're not going to grasp the significance of Oregon doing something different to build interest, capture the imagination and in the end, build their brand. It's a beautiful but known as a generally sleepy college town and community. Nothing's wrong with that, but that doesn't go a long way to attracting athletes, students or much outside interest.

Oregon chose to use a uniform redesign and multiple uniforms to change that. That flash caused other schools, even the traditional powerhouses like Notre Dame, Ohio State, Stanford, etc. to come up with alternate uni's. Although the initial outlay may be large, it has the biggest bang for the buck AND it gets people talking. That's what UTEP needs is people talking about the program and developing an interest. It's not going to change overnight, but it's a start.

Another option is in how it promotes the program. Snazzier very high energy promo videos and social network inclusion. Promos with sponsors and more dynamic advertising/sponsorship opportunities. Those help attract students and fans.

Lastly, high schools. Tapping into and supporting high school programs. For example, on-campus band competitions - and putting greater effort in increasing the size of the school's band.

These are just a few ideas to start with. I'm sure there will be those lined up with their needles reading to punch holes in balloons, but I say this, you can be a small school, but you don't have to act like you're a small school.

Notice no response from Aggie Bob? You mentioned a good idea, and he has nothing.

I'll never forget. Homecoming 2015 and it's the Centennial Anniversary for UTEP. I walk in and I see a few plastic orange cups being passed here and there. On the 100th Anniversary of UTEP they gave out plastic cups! Unbelievable!

Originally posted by alum95and98:
I'll never forget. Homecoming 2015 and it's the Centennial Anniversary for UTEP. I walk in and I see a few plastic orange cups being passed here and there. On the 100th Anniversary of UTEP they gave out plastic cups! Unbelievable!
haha Exactly. Pitiful. I don't think they even said UTEP on them and just the sponsor's name.

It's not likely that the IW game will attract more than 30k. It would be a great night to try to cultivate the young kids in the El Paso area by inviting all high school and younger kids to the game for free or for $1 so that they can enjoy the atmosphere of a college game and start getting attached to the Miners. Gotta get em started early.

Here is a heads up about the 2016 home fb schedule. Since we only have 5 home games this year, Stull is saying we have 7 home games in 2016. OOC at home we will have one FCS school, Houston Baptist, and also Army and NMSU. The Miners also play Texas on the road.

From the EP Times:

"I don't mind who we're playing, I just wish we didn't open with three games on the road," athletic director Bob Stull said. "Two of the games are very winnable (Incarnate Word and New Mexico State). Texas Tech isn't Oklahoma. They're a solid team but we're not playing Texas. ... Arkansas looked pretty good at the end of last year.

"The challenge with scheduling, it's hard to get everything you want."

He added that UTEP already has contracts that will mean seven home games in 2016. The Miners will play at home against Army, New Mexico State and Houston Baptist in addition to a road game at Texas that year.

"I think six games is ideal, but with that being (coach) Sean Kugler's fourth year and Aaron Jones' senior year, it will be good to be home seven times."

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT