ADVERTISEMENT

UTEP's first FB game of 2018

MinerInWisconsin

MI Miner Maniac
Nov 28, 2001
Saw some posts asking what if NAU, our teams 1st opponent, bears UTEP. That would be awful, of course, but sometimes good FCS teams beat FBS teams. It happens. Last season UNLV, our 2nd opponent, lost their opener to Howard of the FCS. UNLV went on to go 4-4 in the MWC and 5-7 overall. They had another year of steady improvement under their relatively new coach.

I watched NAU's spring game on FOX sports AZ and their offense does look good. Defense not so much. Really hard to tell when teams are playing against themselves. FCS folks seem to think that NAU, with lots of returning starters from a playoff team last season, will have one of the best offenses in all of FCS this year. Good test for the Miner defense.

UTEP's new coaching staff brought in just enough new talent that is ready to go now and the offense should be much improved. Last year the Miners were not only 0-12, they only averaged 12 1st downs pg, only 130 yds per game and only 12 pts pg. Horrible. Things will be better but by how much?

My main questions are:

Offense: Will the line rebound from the bad season and the loss of Hernandez, Tulley-Tillman and Elmendorf. Do we have a WR with a pulse? Can Wadley stay healthy? Can Locksley come in and be the QB we expect him to be?

I don’t expect UTEP to repeat what it did on offense last year.

Defense: Will the defense take a step back after switching schemes? Who can step up and lead the pass rush. Who is going to step up and take over Alvin Jones’ spot?

Special Teams: Kicker, Kicker.

Saw some posts asking what if NAU, our teams 1st opponent, bears UTEP. That would be awful, of course, but sometimes good FCS teams beat FBS teams. It happens. Last season UNLV, our 2nd opponent, lost their opener to Howard of the FCS. UNLV went on to go 4-4 in the MWC and 5-7 overall. They had another year of steady improvement under their relatively new coach.

I watched NAU's spring game on FOX sports AZ and their offense does look good. Defense not so much. Really hard to tell when teams are playing against themselves. FCS folks seem to think that NAU, with lots of returning starters from a playoff team last season, will have one of the best offenses in all of FCS this year. Good test for the Miner defense.

UTEP's new coaching staff brought in just enough new talent that is ready to go now and the offense should be much improved. Last year the Miners were not only 0-12, they only averaged 12 1st downs pg, only 130 yds per game and only 12 pts pg. Horrible. Things will be better but by how much?
LOL!

If UTEP beats NAU is it possible to go 2-2 or even 3-1 out of conference? NMSU isn't anything great. UNLV is average and Tennessee is among the worst SEC teams lately (though beating an SEC team would still be a tough order). If Coach Dimel is going to make a quick impact he has the right schedule for it.

If UTEP beats NAU is it possible to go 2-2 or even 3-1 out of conference? NMSU isn't anything great. UNLV is average and Tennessee is among the worst SEC teams lately (though beating an SEC team would still be a tough order). If Coach Dimel is going to make a quick impact he has the right schedule for it.

It is also possible for UTEP to go 12-0.

Saying NMSU isn't anything great is hilarious because they beat us by 27 points last year.

Reactions: ShovelMan66
There he goes again showing who he really roots for. It took UTEP’s worst team in its entire history for the aggs to finally break that loooooooong losing streak they had to UTEP. UTEP has beat them 15 out of the last 20 matches.

There he goes again showing who he really roots for. It took UTEP’s worst team in its entire history for the aggs to finally break that loooooooooong losing streak they had to UTEP. UTEP has beat them 15 out of the last 20 matches.

It's called facts. UTEP lost by 27 points.

And you're right, NMSU was worse than us for a long time but it seems like they are better than us now.

You're very pathetic because you state the same thing over and over again calling somebody not a fan of UTEP when they state a simple fact. Get new material.

It's called facts. UTEP lost by 27 points.

And you're right, NMSU was worse than us for a long time but it seems like they are better than us now.

You're very pathetic because you state the same thing over and over again calling somebody not a fan of UTEP when they state a simple fact. Get new material.
Beating the only winless team in the country by 27 points doesn’t make them great.

If they’re so improved then why doesn’t the worse football conference in the FBS want them?

The pathetic one is you. You can’t debate without resorting to insults.

Beating the only winless team in the country by 27 points doesn’t make them great.

If they’re so improved then why doesn’t the worse football conference in the FBS want them?

The pathetic one is you. You can’t debate without resorting to insults.

They won a bowl game. It's something UTEP hasn't done in over 50 years.

They left the Sun Belt before they improved.

Facts are insults now? LMAO I feel sorry for you.

They won a bowl game. It's something UTEP hasn't done in over 50 years.

They left the Sun Belt before they improved.

Facts are insults now? LMAO I feel sorry for you.
UTEP isn’t a great football team. You might want to use another team to compare them against.

They were told to leave the Sun Belt.

Calling someone pathetic is an insult.

UTEP isn’t a great football team. You might want to use another team to compare them against.

Calling someone pathetic is an insult.

I am sorry I called you pathetic because you are scared of facts and can't handle opposing viewpoints.

Now go crawl into your safe space where only positivity is allowed and nobody can disagree with you.

Thank you Captain Obvious for stating UTEP isn't a great football team.

Who cares who I compared them to? NMSU kicked our butt last year and that is a fact.

And your point is that NMSU were told to leave the Sun Belt? I would rather UTEP have won a bowl game last year and play an independent schedule than go 0-12 and play in a crappy league.

Where coming off 0-12. We have a new coach. Tennessee is still as good or better than top Teams in Cusa and at home in a tough environment. No, we aren't winning at Tennessee. I'm not even being negative I'm being completely realistic. 3-1 is possible
I am sorry I called you pathetic because you are scared of facts and can't handle opposing viewpoints.

Now go crawl into your safe space where only positivity is allowed and nobody can disagree with you.
Utep obviously sucked last year no denying that and NMSU was better this are facts. Just as is the fact Utep had won the previous 7 meetings. So who knows this year, we just don't know how improved Utep will be or won't be.

Cube Jack’s original comment remains true. nmsu isn’t anything great. At best they had an average season. Whatever dude have fun liking shovelman’s comments.

Without a league NMSU has no bowl tie ins, tv contract money, and will receive no cfp payout. But yeah those all seem like positive things occurring in Las cruces.

Reactions: Cube Jack
NMSU had an ok year but one season finishing 7-6 , with zero wins against teams above .500 , doesn’t mean they have turned the corner. They lost some key players from last season.

Utep obviously sucked last year no denying that and NMSU was better this are facts. Just as is the fact Utep had won the previous 7 meetings. So who knows this year, we just don't know how improved Utep will be or won't be.

I am glad somebody here can understand facts.

NMSU had an ok year but one season finishing 7-6 , with zero wins against teams above .500 , doesn’t mean they have turned the corner. They lost some key players from last season.

Considering NMSU's horrible football history, winning a bowl game for them made their season spectacular.

Cube Jack’s original comment remains true. nmsu isn’t anything great. At best they had an average season. Whatever dude have fun liking shovelman’s comments.

Without a league NMSU has no bowl tie ins, tv contract money, and will receive no cfp payout. But yeah those all seem like positive things occurring in Las cruces.

So winning a bowl games makes you average? Really???

NMSU has games scheduled for a few years down the line, so it doesn't seem like they are doing bad.

Where coming off 0-12. We have a new coach. Tennessee is still as good or better than top Teams in Cusa and at home in a tough environment. No, we aren't winning at Tennessee. I'm not even being negative I'm being completely realistic. 3-1 is possible

I like the way you think .. 3-1 to start the season ... we just need to find 3 more wins for us to make it 6 ...
UTEP matters

Reactions: HeWore62

NMSU has games scheduled for a few years down the line, so it doesn't seem like they are doing bad.
Winning a lower end bowl sure doesn’t make you great. Above average, is that better?

We will see after a few years. Even if they somehow go 12-0 they have no way into an Acces Bowl. They can go 8-4 and it’s no guarantee a bowl will pick them up. BYU who has much better prestige, more money, a nice tv deal with ESPN, and a bowl tie in is finding out the hard way independence isn’t that great. NMSU has none of that working for them.

Now days every 6-6 G5 school plays in a bowl game. Utah State was 6-6 and NMSU was 6-6 heading into the bowl game. Like I mentioned earlier, NMSU had zero wins against schools better than .500, so ya, I agree their bowl game win was pretty average. If they beat a P5 school, now that would mean a spectacular season.

Last edited:
Utah State was 6-6 heading into the bowl game , so ya it’s pretty average winning a bowl game.

Only about 1/3 of teams win bowl games. NMSU won a bowl game. I can guarantee you that if UTEP did the same thing they wouldn't be called average.

EP1,

You’re forgetting the rules of this board

1. Facts are optional.
2. “Real” fans only post positive stuff.
3. If UTEP does it, it’s an amazing accomplishment.
4. If similar school accomplished the same thing or better, it still sucks.
5. Don’t point out the hypocrisy, you will be called a NMSU fan or Aggie lover.
6. Going 50 years without a bowl win and never winning any non-Sun Bowl is awesome.
7. UTEP is a basketball school and going 26 years without a NCAA Tournament win and going 3 times in those 26 years, solidifies this rational.

Reactions: El Paso 1
Aww no one wanted to go post on shovelman’s thread so he got his lil tiny feelings hurt. At least your bff keeps giving you likes.

Only about 1/3 of teams win bowl games. NMSU won a bowl game. I can guarantee you that if UTEP did the same thing they wouldn't be called average.
Yep NMSU is one of 1/3 teams to win a bowl game. They beat a 6-6 Utah state team , beat zero teams with a winning record. Still seems pretty average.

Last edited:
Aww no one wanted to go post on shovelman’s thread so he got his lil tiny feelings hurt. At least your bff keeps giving you likes.

Like I care about that. Just pointing out that the info was already posted.

Just love all the delusion in the thread. It’s hilarious.

My “BFF” gives my posts likes because at times, he seems like the only poster with a brain on here.

Well, time for me to go chat up some 18 year old dudes online. Then meet them at the airport hoping they’ll play at UTEP! Yay!!!!!!!!!

Like I care about that. Just pointing out that the info was already posted.

Just love all the delusion in the thread. It’s hilarious.

My “BFF” gives my posts likes because at times, he seems like the only poster with a brain on here.

Well, time for me to go chat up some 18 year old dudes online. Then meet them at the airport hoping they’ll play at UTEP! Yay!!!!!!!!!
I know right so much delusion! Calling NMSU a great team after going one game over .500 and beating no teams with a winning record. What are they smoking in cruces?

I know right so much delusion! Calling NMSU a great team after going one game over .500 and beating no teams with a winning record. What are they smoking in cruces?

You're right, it's not delusional to think UTEP will win their first 3/4 games when they won 0 games last year.:rolleyes:

Well ya they will probably just schedule Liberty 10 times a year now ,instead of 2 times like next season.

Wrong again. They are playing Wyoming at home this year and playing San Diego State and Fresno State at home next year. Their home schedule is more attractive than UTEP's home schedule.

Logic is something you don’t have. Shouldn’t you be poking around high school guys twitter accounts? Could be a few people who need to know about UTEPs “great fan base”.

Your bff got mad because Cube Jack said NMSU isn’t anything great. The opposite of not being great is being great. Common logic man.

As usual you are wrong. I said NMSU is not an average team.

Also, nobody got mad at anything. Stop trying to create drama when they is no drama to begin with.

Logic is something you don’t have. Shouldn’t you be poking around high school guys twitter accounts? Could be a few people who need to know about UTEPs “great fan base”.
Ok shovel I don’t have logic.

Not really I follow a lot of UTEP fans and whenever they RT something I copy and paste it on here. Have never interacted with any of the potential recruits.

JCorona is a fan of this guy. Case closed.

6830b130d4e5a76b20c1c04bd0c7b753.jpg

There you go EP1

Saying NMSU isn't anything great is hilarious
Your own words.

And yeah I’m a fan of bad bunny. You’re a fan of me. Thanks for stalking my twitter. I appreciate loyal fans like yourself.

Do you like the new RV I bought. She’s a beast ain’t she?

True, NMSU was not great last season.

Also true, the Aggies were more talented and fundamentally sound at the line of scrimmage than they've been in years.

True, playing vs. NMSU most years is good for UTEP's record.

Also true, I wish the Miners could play them in a doubleheader, every year.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT