ADVERTISEMENT

UTEP's greatest FB victory of all time?

FeralFelidae

MI Miner Maniac
Sep 1, 2003
What would you consider UTEP's greatest football victory of all time? Over the years the Miners have toppled a number of top 25 teams and have bowl victories from the '50s and '60s (including wins over Florida St. and Ole Miss). They shared the WAC title with a very good TCU team in 2000.

It's the off-season, so I'm just curious what you forum members consider UTEP football's greatest triumphs. And I'm optimistic about future triumphs to come!

I would say the BYU game. It just had a different flavor and that game made up for that year.

Go Miners...

John tiecher disagrees that byu is biggest victory.
Then what does John Teicher believe to be UTEP's biggest victory?

And since there's a near-consensus (on this board at least) about that BYU game, what would you consider to be UTEP's second-biggest victory, then? I'll bet there will be more variety on that question.

And since there's a near-consensus (on this board at least) about that BYU game, what would you consider to be UTEP's second-biggest victory, then? I'll bet there will be more variety on that question.

The Air Force game in 1989(?) where Tony Tolbert held his ground on the goal line for the win. Back then Air Force was a fixture in the top 20. Great game.

Reactions: desantos

ask John Tiech he the one that doesn't think its the biggest victory. I n that BYU piece that was posted. They interviewed Tiech and he didn't think it was Uteps biggest victory. I agree I think its the BYU win.

That Air Force game, WAC was very competitive and that game capped a great year and got UTEP in the Independence Bowl, where UTEP played Brett Favre and Southern Miss.

UTEP beat a strong UTAH team in November of 1965 with a huge come from behind effort from QB Billy Stevens, immortalized in a painting by renowned artist Tom Lea as "The Turnaround", culminating a period of soul-searching for a young miner team. After this game, the Miners went on to beat TCU in the Sun Bowl during an unprecedented time of success under coach Bobby Dobbs. This game would probably hold more historic significance were it not for a certain national championship a few months later. This, ladies and gentlemen, was the greatest FB win of all time.

350px-1977.Tom_Lea_Turnaround.jpg

"Bob Wallace put UTEP ahead in the second quarter with a 89-yard punt return for touchdown.

Utah's Ben Woodson scored twice from close range as the Utes pulled ahead 19-7 and lead by six in the closing moments.

With his back to his goal line, Billy Stevens found Wallace for an amazing 92-yard touchdown pass with 16 seconds left to give the Miners the win."

I'd have to go with the Air Force win when Tolbert made the huge play on the goal line. Aside from that, I was at the last Miner Bowl win when we beat Ole Miss and Archie Manning 14-7. It's hard to believe that was almost 50 years ago.

I would go with the BYU game, I enjoyed that game. I know that when Danny Taylor intercepted and returned 100 yards, that was the happiest I have been in a long time watching a Miner game. We were pitiful that year and still beat them. Besides BYU ranks it as their worst loss. Anytime you can get under BYU's skin, has to be a good win. Can't speak for the 65 game as I wasn't around at that time. But my most enjoyable football game was that BYU game.

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/...s-worst-upset-2-1985-loss-to-UTEP.html?pg=all

The BYU game is an amazing win, but didn't mean much overall. We won 1 game that year instead of 0. The Houston win is nice too, but it didn't do anything for the Miners the rest of the year.

I would say their biggest wins would be the back to back victories over Fresno and Hawaii in 2004. After those wins, it showed us that the team was gonna be pretty good that year.

The win against Arizona State in Tempe in 1974 tops my list. It was one great win against a very good team, tough coach, on their turf.

The win was so big it made national sport's news the next day (obviously Sunday) on ABC TV. Local high schooler Bobby McKinley from Bel Air was the UTEP QB for the winner - bet he would agree.

UTEP beat a strong UTAH team in November of 1965 with a huge come from behind effort from QB Billy Stevens, immortalized in a painting by renowned artist Tom Lea as "The Turnaround", culminating a period of soul-searching for a young miner team. After this game, the Miners went on to beat TCU in the Sun Bowl during an unprecedented time of success under coach Bobby Dobbs. This game would probably hold more historic significance were it not for a certain national championship a few months later. This, ladies and gentlemen, was the greatest FB win of all time.

350px-1977.Tom_Lea_Turnaround.jpg

"Bob Wallace put UTEP ahead in the second quarter with a 89-yard punt return for touchdown.

Utah's Ben Woodson scored twice from close range as the Utes pulled ahead 19-7 and lead by six in the closing moments.

With his back to his goal line, Billy Stevens found Wallace for an amazing 92-yard touchdown pass with 16 seconds left to give the Miners the win."

Why is Dobbs face or success not anywhere to be found within the Sun Bowl for fans to see?

That painting by Tom Lea, used to hang in our den when I was a kid growing up in El Paso. My dad told me the same exact story that you told Jdubb. Really brought back memories of my father. Thanks for that.
I believe that is Chuck Hughes who wore number 13 right after Don Maynard left the year before in the picture as well and he later played with the Detroit Lions. He passed away during a game in 1971. What a tragedy.
My mother who is still alive has that painting and has been holding it for me for years. I am going to get that from her and put it up, and I totally agree that it is the greatest win in Miner football history, and it was before I was born.

And I agree, why the heck is that not in the Sun Bowl or the sports complex?
Here is an article about the painting and play:
http://www.elpasotimes.com/living/ci_26710300/miner-football-highlight-immortalized-canvas

And here is an article about Chuck Hughes:
http://blog.detroitathletic.com/201...only-death-to-occur-on-an-nfl-football-field/

Last edited:
I'd have to go with the Air Force win when Tolbert made the huge play on the goal line. Aside from that, I was at the last Miner Bowl win when we beat Ole Miss and Archie Manning 14-7. It's hard to believe that was almost 50 years ago.

In the interest of accuracy, the QB for Ole Miss that year was Bruce Newell. Manning took over the following year. That win vs Ole Miss was certainly one of the best wins ever for the Miners.

I wish i could remember more of the 80's wins with Stull (was about 4 or 5 at the time) but post 2000 definitely the Rice triple overtime win with the terrible weather in the sunbowl and the win against Fresno State in Fresno in Price's first year. Normally UTEP loses those types of games.

The Air Force game in 1989(?) where Tony Tolbert held his ground on the goal line for the win. Back then Air Force was a fixture in the top 20. Great game.

That was a good one. Too bad Tolbert has thrown UTEP under the bus (he blames UTEP for their poor turf for shortening his NFL career).

That was a good one. Too bad Tolbert has thrown UTEP under the bus (he blames UTEP for their poor turf for shortening his NFL career).
Remembering the old turf, he might have a point? Might as well have been playing on concrete. Artificial turf has come a long way since then.

Another BYU game to throw into the mix would be the 1997 upset over 25th-ranked BYU. The Miners lost starting QB John Rayborn for the year and backup Rocky Perez stepped in, suffered a concussion, and still played out the game for the victory. I'd consider Rocky Perez one of the Miner greats and it started with this game.

It probably only qualifies as our second-best victory over BYU, but it's still a very memorable game in my mind.

Reactions: miner661
Another BYU game to throw into the mix would be the 1997 upset over 25th-ranked BYU. The Miners lost starting QB John Rayborn for the year and backup Rocky Perez stepped in, suffered a concussion, and still played out the game for the victory. I'd consider Rocky Perez one of the Miner greats and it started with this game.

It probably only qualifies as our second-best victory over BYU, but it's still a very memorable game in my mind.

I helped to tear down those goalposts and throw them into the mountainside of the Sun Bowl. Then, I proceeded to party and get drunk with my fraternity brothers (Epsilon-Xi!). It was a great night. November 15, 1997.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT