ADVERTISEMENT

Uteps NIL program

That's a Huge deal for Moner Basketball!!! Surprised more people aren't commenting on this! UTEP needs to return to being one of the top mid major basketball teams. Hope they don't nickel and dime and stay competitive!

That's a Huge deal for Moner Basketball!!! Surprised more people aren't commenting on this! UTEP needs to return to being one of the top mid major basketball teams. Hope they don't nickel and dime and stay competitive!
It’s great! I think it keeps us relevant and competitive in recruiting among G5 schools.

This is the reality of college athletics. My only worry is that schools like UTEP are dependent on donors to keep athletics afloat. Will an NIL collective flip donors and hurt the athletic department?

I like the idea, however, they should also include football. The Miner football program has shown progress over the last two seasons and are on pace to do well this year. A winning football team will bring butts to the stadium and help increase our athletic budget. Our best football players will transfer out if we don’t take care of them. We need to implement a plan similar to Utsa‘s and allow donors to designate the sport their money goes to. We have an opportunity to invest in both FB and men ‘s BB and hopefully keep the momentum going in FB. Winning FB seasons at UTEP don’t come around often. Let’s not kill the momentum.

I like the idea, however, they should also include football. The Miner football program has shown progress over the last two seasons and are on pace to do well this year. A winning football team will bring butts to the stadium and help increase our athletic budget. Our best football players will transfer out if we don’t take care of them. We need to implement a plan similar to Utsa‘s and allow donors to designate the sport their money goes to. We have an opportunity to invest in both FB and men ‘s BB and hopefully keep the momentum going in FB. Winning FB seasons at UTEP don’t come around often. Let’s not kill the momentum.
The article says mid major deals average between 10k - 50k a year. I don’t know what mid major football deals run but I would imagine you’d have to be very selective with your money or you’d have to give everyone very little because there are so many players. So I can see where basketball could require a smaller investment compared to a whole football roster.

This should be inclusive for all Miner sports but the obvious question everyone is asking is how much money UTEP doners can generate. Will small doners be able to contribute enough to help make this viable? That's something the bloggers on this site ought to look into. I'll have to figure out how much I can throw in. Go Miners.

Reactions: picks up
The article says mid major deals average between 10k - 50k a year. I don’t know what mid major football deals run but I would imagine you’d have to be very selective with your money or you’d have to give everyone very little because there are so many players. So I can see where basketball could require a smaller investment compared to a whole football roster.
50k a year is a LOT of money for any mid major player, let alone any young person. Problem is some people will always think they are worth more and will always try to compare themselves to other players/programs. I guess something is better than nothing though.

He’s like 5’5-5’6 with bricks for hands. Doubt he will be the featured receiver anywhere else. He’s a solid receiver for utep though. Seems like under this staff they’ve been good at developing receivers.
He tried to transfer out after last season, after having a decent not great season. He started this season poor but has come on the last couple weeks. I expect he will enter the transfer portal every year until he gets the offer he's looking for.

I don’t see the benefit or return on my investment. I am to give a minimum of 5k so the Coach can recruit mediocre players and finish in the bottom of CUSA? Also, I give money to a young man who is probably going to take my money, never say thank you, and be gone in a year. The only thing I receive is the hope of our roster getting better.

And for those reasons, I’m out.

I don’t see the benefit or return on my investment. I am to give a minimum of 5k so the Coach can recruit mediocre players and finish in the bottom of CUSA? Also, I give money to a young man who is probably going to take my money, never say thank you, and be gone in a year. The only thing I receive is the hope of our roster getting better.

And for those reasons, I’m out.
The only people who will do are:

Companies that want to support the program and leverage it for promotion

High income/net worth individuals who want to support the program with a tax deductible donation

I appreciate those who have given. They’re a part of the solution.

High income/net worth individuals who want to support the program with a tax deductible donation
You sure about that?

“Even though the Miner Collective is a Texas nonprofit corporation, contributions to it are not deductible as charitable donations. You may, however, be able to deduct contributions to the Collective from your business as a business expense.“

Reactions: kickballpro
  • Angry
Reactions: 1967miner
A quick Google Search says that Many NIL Collectives are Non-Profit 501c3 and others are not.

So both situations can be true.

A quick Google Search says that Many NIL Collectives are Non-Profit 501c3 and others are not.

So both situations can be true.
Yes, but this is specifically about UTEPs NIL program, which is not tax deductible like Unihorn stated.

Northwestern is a private Big 10 school, UTEP has a bunch of students from Juarez attending it now. Polar opposites.

Yes, but this is specifically about UTEPs NIL program, which is not tax deductible like Unihorn stated.

Northwestern is a private Big 10 school, UTEP has a bunch of students from Juarez attending it now. Polar opposites.
So you’re a poor Juarense? Explains a lot.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT