ADVERTISEMENT

UTSA attendance

Way too many things to do in SA other than watch cupcake U get demolished by the home team. Especially if you have to go downtown for it.

Reactions: Roy_Bigwood_05
UTSA attendance against Middle Tennessee 16,202, actually a few less than last week. 3-0 and this is all they get, again. I’m starting to feel better about Utep’s abysmal attendance.

Bet OSU will outdraw some NFL games tomorrow.
Thats a very safe bet.. I think there are only four NFL stadiums that hold more than 76,540 for regular season games: AT&T, Metlife, Lambeau an Sofi. I believe Arrowhead and Mile High's capacities are right at 76,000.

Another 16k for utsa this past weekend.
Too bad, because as much as I hold my barf back in my mouth as I say this, they look good to win the western division but it's still early. UAB is king but if played tonight I would put money on them.

Just goes to show that as bad as support is in EP it's not unique to us. With UTSA in contention for a conference title and rumors of them moving to a better conference that attendance is awful. I don't wanna hear there's other things to do. What else was going on Saturday night in a metro city of 2.6 million that they cant at least draw 20k?

Just goes to show that as bad as support is in EP it's not unique to us. With UTSA in contention for a conference title and rumors of them moving to a better conference that attendance is awful. I don't wanna hear there's other things to do. What else was going on Saturday night in a metro city of 2.6 million that they cant at least draw 20k?

The support here isn’t bad, it’s pretty good, considering the circumstances, and has a chance to be better.

No other FBS school has endured the losing that UTEP has. Maybe NMSU, but their attendance is way lower most years. I would like to see what UTSAs attendance would be like if they didn’t win a bowl game for 50 plus years and share 1 conference title.

The support here isn’t bad, it’s pretty good, considering the circumstances, and has a chance to be better.

No other FBS school has endured the losing that UTEP has. Maybe NMSU, but their attendance is way lower most years. I would like to see what UTSAs attendance would be like if they didn’t win a bowl game for 50 plus years and share 1 conference title.

Going on 10 years without a bowl game victory for UTSA

Utsa doesn't look to be on the same level as an AAC school.
Yep, it turns out that Illinois is pretty bad after that upset win over Nebraska. Hopefully UTSA is not going to smoke the Miners but every game is different so you never know.

UTSA is showing some serious grit to get back in this game. Let’s see if they can finish this off.

UTSA with their biggest crowd of the year against a winless UNLV. Looks like the fans are more excited about an 0-5 MW team than their own conference teams.

UTSA with their biggest crowd of the year against a winless UNLV. Looks like the fans are more excited about an 0-5 MW team than their own conference teams.
Or an undefeated home team? What was the attendance?

That's not the case. They are starting to believe. Beating Memphis on national TV validated them for many fans. Their crowds will keep getting bigger as they win. They played their worst game of the season yesterday. They struggled with a winless UNLV squad who was done it by two terrible interceptions.

The difference between UTEP and UTSA are ther performances on national TV. UTSA won and UTEP got beat down. The sad thing is the Boise game should have been a one score game going into half. We moved the ball at will in the first half between the 10's but committed four terrible turnovers that killed any chance we had. That game is the game most casual fans remember and they came away thinking "same old UTEP". It reminds me of 2014. We had our first winning season in nine years and the crowds never got as big as people expected. The problem was they took two beatings early in the season on national TV. Kansas State beat them down, then the next week La Tech crushed us 55-3. Those games turned off most of the casual fans. When you have a struggling or unproven program national TV games matter. UTSA took advantage of theirs and UTEP didn't.

Plus they curtain off the third level at the dome, so it gives a better impression that the stands are full. Unfortunately for Utep, the crowd looks to mostly sit on the press box side, giving an even worse impression of attendance on tv. But 11,000 is just plain embarrassing. The biggest difference I saw was UTSA is really starting to fill up their student section. I know Coach Traylor has been on campus handing out whataburger taquitos in the morning and promoting the team. Seems to be working. Utep has been…well…being UTEP.

Do y'all believe the rumor circulating in the CUSA and SB board that UTSA turned down the AAC?

I don't but it's interesting.

Do y'all believe the rumor circulating in the CUSA and SB board that UTSA turned down the AAC?

I don't but it's interesting.

I have not seen/heard that rumor but I would be only a little surprised. I say "only a little" because IF UTSA was considering the move they would also have been watching what AFA and CSU were going to do. The AAC without the 3 leaving for the Big 12 is not necessarily the best non-P5 conference. I think it would be wise for UTSA to take a "wait-and-see" attitude right now.

I have not seen/heard that rumor but I would be only a little surprised. I say "only a little" because IF UTSA was considering the move they would also have been watching what AFA and CSU were going to do. The AAC without the 3 leaving for the Big 12 is not necessarily the best non-P5 conference. I think it would be wise for UTSA to take a "wait-and-see" attitude right now.
Agree. UH, Cinci and UCF make up over half of the representation of G5 teams in a NY6 bowl.

Without them, the AAC has 1, the MAC has 1, and the MWC has 1. The conferences are pretty even with the 3 leaving for the Big12.

The SunBelt be represented in there pretty soon, as well.

Reactions: TxRdKiller
Better to be with SMU, Tulane, and Tulsa than UNT, UTEP, and Rice. Even if those are all private schools. SMU would be the top program in CUSA by a wide margin. SMU isn’t going anywhere.

Plus they curtain off the third level at the dome, so it gives a better impression that the stands are full. Unfortunately for Utep, the crowd looks to mostly sit on the press box side, giving an even worse impression of attendance on tv. But 11,000 is just plain embarrassing. The biggest difference I saw was UTSA is really starting to fill up their student section. I know Coach Traylor has been on campus handing out whataburger taquitos in the morning and promoting the team. Seems to be working. Utep has been…well…being UTEP.
It is embarrassing to have 11k for homecoming when the team is 3-1 going in. JCorona made an interesting observation elsewhere that once Senter arrived, UTEP switched from announcing attendance using tickets distributed (lots of schools do that) to using buttx in seats. So the 2 games that had abouf 15k might have been 20k in Stull's era. 11k might have been 16k. Still, the attendance is way down either way and needs some inovative thinking such as that on this board.

El Paso, in the past, has been a bandwagon town, and fans would start to show up when the team is winning.

Is that no longer true? If UTEP beats Southern Miss, and the local media starts to make noise for the team (one more win for bowl eligibility!), I would hope for a decent turnout for LA Tech.

Has the local press been making any noise for the 4-1 Miners? Do the locals even know they're 4-1?

Reactions: kickballpro
It is embarrassing to have 11k for homecoming when the team is 3-1 going in. JCorona made an interesting observation elsewhere that once Senter arrived, UTEP switched from announcing attendance using tickets distributed (lots of schools do that) to using buttx in seats. So the 2 games that had abouf 15k might have been 20k in Stull's era. 11k might have been 16k. Still, the attendance is way down either way and needs some inovative thinking such as that on this board.

FAU had under 15,000 for the 2019 CUSA Championship game - on a 5 game game winning streak with Lane Kiffin as their coach for a 11-3 season.

Which is more “embarrassing”?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT