ADVERTISEMENT

UTSA Forgot Someone.

alamo_miner

All Star
Mar 15, 2005
UTSA responds: Online outrage ensues after UTEP athlete, S.A native omitted from lineup introduction

San Antonio native Kobe Magee didn't receive the welcome home many expected on Saturday when the University of Texas at El Paso basketball team took on UTSA.

Some backers of Magee, a UTEP freshman and graduate of Brandeis High School, called foul after his name was omitted from pre-game introductions. They claimed the 19-year-old had hundreds of friends and family members supporting him at the UTSA Convocation Center, including many from El Paso.

UTSA Athletics "sincerely" apologized Sunday afternoon in a statement issued via Twitter.

"The omission was a mistake and no malice was intended," the tweet reads. "UTSA appreciates and respects all student-athletes."

The comment stirred the already heated online debate between fans, sports pundits and Magee San Antonio native Kobe Magee didn't receive the welcome home many expected on Saturday, Jan. 20, when the University of Texas at El Paso basketball team took on UTSA.

Media: @lamTre_/ Twitter
The Miner responded to the controversy on Twitter, saying people are "sideways," but appreciated the support from his hometown. In a previous post, he said he's "glad" to have "made it out" of San Antonio.

He also issued a statement via UTEP's communications department in an email sent to mySA.com.

"I understand that accidents happen. I appreciate the apology from UTSA," Magee said. "I was just excited to play in front of my friends and family in my hometown on Saturday night."

El Paso-based sports reporters called the omission "classless."

"Miners even saved him for last so he could get the ovation he deserved," Andy Morgan, for News Channel 9 in El Paso, tweeted. "Magee had over 200 friends and family in attendance."

Morgan continued, pointing out "There are five starters on a basketball team, only four were announced."

Those on the other side of the controversy chimed into the Twitter squabble and claimed "UTEP fans wouldn't have cared so much if they would've won" and dismissed claims that the exclusion was malicious.

UTEP Athletic Director thanked Lisa Campos, UTSA's athletic director, for a "classy move" in apologizing for the omission.

Kyle Stephens, with UTSA Athletics, called the mishap an "honest mistake," but it was "too late" to correct it because a video announcing the Roadrunner starters had already started playing. He added that the announcer found Magee at the game Saturday night and personally apologized to him.

"UTSA Athletics has addressed the error and we will do our best to ensure it does not happen again," he said.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT