ADVERTISEMENT

UTSA game thoughts

Minerforlife

MI Hall of Famer
Sep 11, 2013
Last night there were no silver linings. It was a bad night. The worst part was once again UTEP had an opportunity to change the narrative and create excitement. Once again in a big spot UTEP s*** the bed. That's been a tradition since the UAB game in 2005. They had a chance to move the needle and didn't.

Offensively it was a tough night. We haven't ran the ball against bad teams and we didn't run it well vs UTSA. The only positive was before last night was UTSA hadn't given up a run of more than 20 yds all season. Awatt was able to break one for more than 20. The o-line got no push they had problems identifying blitzers all night. That's on the center. At this point I don't know that you can justify giving Hankins carries. He looks very slow.

Biggest problem with the offense is Hardison. We've seen him now almost 2 and a half seasons and he's regressing. His numbers didn't look bad but were propped up in garbage time like the Charlotte game last year. His mechanics are god awful. His accuracy especially in the short and intermediate game is terrible. He's struggles going through his progressions. When the defense bottles up the run the qb needs to be able to loosen them up through the air. Hardison can't do that. He's not good enough to beat good teams or compete for a conference title.

The defense struggled. They did a good job of bending but not breaking in the first half for a while. However they eventually broke. The pass rush was neutralized by a good oline much like the Boise game. We have struggled all year to defend quick slants. That's been hidden with a good pass rush. With no pass rush it was exposed. The corners technique was terrible and the UTSA receivers had no problems running right by them.

Last night the coaching was awful. UTSA's staff coach circles around our staff. Their staff recognized we had a weakness in the middle of the defense and McCormick exposed it for a quarter and a half before we adjusted. On big third downs they would simply dump it off to a wide open McCormick. I don't know how you don't account for the best player in CUSA in the game plan.
The offensive play calling was bad. Everybody except Dimel knew we couldn't control this game with the run. We tried and it failed. We don't have a good enough qb to play from behind or in a shoot out.
Alot of people on this board like promotions. Next home game we should have a promotion enter to be special teams coordinator for the game. Price should be fired immediately.

This really changes the feel of the season. The next two games are must wins and aren't gimmies. Rice is playing tough and UNT hasn't quit. I said before the season 6 wins should get Dimel to year five but no extension. I feel it's very important to win the next two to feel like this thing is going the right direction. Don't feel good after this one Dimel and Company were thoroughly out coached.

When you have Much Better Players, It makes you a much better coach.

We have seen a glimpse of how good this team can execute but we've also seen this team shoot itself in the foot quite a bit. And Last Night was one of those games where you cannot overcome a mistake. Shanked Punts, Missed field Goals, Penalties...

Fact is, UTSA is much much better than we are and we were out talented.

Looked like a lot more than that. I guess UTEP has the only honest attendance counter in the FBS

How many times were UTEP WRs nailed immediately when the ball was thrown their way? As deflating as the 75 yard TD run was, it was probably demoralizing when Hardison lead guys right into big hits on the Miners’ first two plays from scrimmage. Was it a scheme issue or a QB issue because they were just getting nailed all night long.

I agree with the Hardison assessment. He isn’t the QB that is going to take UTEP where they need to be.
I'm not ready to give up on Hardison yet. Sure, there's room for improvement, but he has two years left. I think he has improved from previous seasons, but he needs to do better on the medium-range throws. Surely that's something that can be coached. Even with his struggles, I think he has brought much to the table.

The UTSA QB is a senior and it showed.

Reactions: EMA884
I'm not ready to give up on Hardison yet. Sure, there's room for improvement, but he has two years left. I think he has improved from previous seasons, but he needs to do better on the medium-range throws. Surely that's something that can be coached. Even with his struggles, I think he has brought much to the table.

The UTSA QB is a senior and it showed.
Its not just his medium throws. It's his horrible decision making too. He takes 1 step forward on a play and 3 steps back right after. I'm not giving up yet either, but he's definitely limited and plays scared in Big Games!

One more thing to ponder, both Frank Harris and Sincere McCormick are from the San Antonio area. We have talked on other threads about our local talent. Well, if you want to know why UTSA is excelling in football, here is another reason. They are winning in the recruiting battle of keeping their top talent from the San Antonio area. Just check out their roster. They are loaded with central Texas players. And I hate to speak the obvious, but El Paso still doesn’t have the same talent as the San Antonio area. Just look at Frank Harris’s high school bio and compare to Hardison. Now look at their college performance and I think it still translates about the same. We got to keep winning to get those top recruits.

2021 Hardison brings the headaches of a 2004 Palmer!
That’s an interesting comparison. As it stands right now Hardison and Palmer both have a 13-9 TD to INT ratio and Hardison is averaging 235.9 yards to Palmer’s 234.8. Hardison also has a 141.12 QB rating compared to Palmer’s 136.5.
But as the season progressed Palmer found his stride. Throwing for 4 TD/0 INT against La Tech, 2 TD/1 INT against San Jose St, 3 TD/1 INT against Rice, and 5 TD/1 INT against SMU. But Tulsa and Colorado happened. Hardison and the offense haven’t shown any signs of life as the season has gone on.

One more thing to ponder, both Frank Harris and Sincere McCormick are from the San Antonio area. We have talked on other threads about our local talent. Well, if you want to know why UTSA is excelling in football, here is another reason. They are winning in the recruiting battle of keeping their top talent from the San Antonio area. Just check out their roster. They are loaded with central Texas players. And I hate to speak the obvious, but El Paso still doesn’t have the same talent as the San Antonio area. Just look at Frank Harris’s high school bio and compare to Hardison. Now look at their college performance and I think it still translates about the same. We got to keep winning to get those top recruits.
To build on this a little bit, San Antonio also used to be a solid recruiting ground for UTEP prior to UTSA starting their football program. If we look at our 2000 WAC Championship team; our starting QB(Rocky Perez), starting RB(Chris Porter), Starting TE(Brian Natkin), starting LB(Trey Merkins), starting PR/KR(Javier Sanchez) were all from San Antonio. Those mid-level SA kids that UTEP used to recruit now have an option of staying home to play FBS, where before they didn't. In the process, UTEP has had one of their top recruiting grounds impacted.

To build on this a little bit, San Antonio also used to be a solid recruiting ground for UTEP prior to UTSA starting their football program. If we look at our 2000 WAC Championship team; our starting QB(Rocky Perez), starting RB(Chris Porter), Starting TE(Brian Natkin), starting LB(Trey Merkins), starting PR/KR(Javier Sanchez) were all from San Antonio. Those mid-level SA kids that UTEP used to recruit now have an option of staying home to play FBS, where before they didn't. In the process, UTEP has had one of their top recruiting grounds impacted.
We should have never let them in CUSA in the first place. All of you had your panties wet at the idea of building a new rivalry, of making a trip to San Antonio.....stupid move. They are competition, not your friends.

I agree with this and SA area along with that part of South/ entrap Texas has tons of talent. If UTSA can keep it up they'll find themselves in the Big 12 one day. 10 years ago Kappy and I said watch out for UTSA in 10 years!

We should have never let them in CUSA in the first place. All of you had your panties wet at the idea of building a new rivalry, of making a trip to San Antonio.....stupid move. They are competition, not your friends.
It’s only 1 guy that claims they’re our “rival”

I agree with this and SA area along with that part of South/ entrap Texas has tons of talent. If UTSA can keep it up they'll find themselves in the Big 12 one day. 10 years ago Kappy and I said watch out for UTSA in 10 years!

UTSA over Memphis down the road for the Big XII? Interesting.

Its not just his medium throws. It's his horrible decision making too. He takes 1 step forward on a play and 3 steps back right after. I'm not giving up yet either, but he's definitely limited and plays scared in Big Games!
Some of that will get better with experience. Hardison still has two seasons left. I like the progress I've seen this year over the last. I hope he keeps improving.

It doesn’t help, that his coach calls horrible plays. That’s not going to help his confidence.
This is really the biggest problem, I think.

2021 Hardison brings the headaches of a 2004 Palmer!
I can live with that. 2004 was a good year.

UTEP was majorly out schemed and that is the biggest takeaway from me.

From what I saw before I lost attention and wanted to go drink outside the Sun Bowl....UTSA's offensive staff isolated UTEP's nose tackle from the second play of the game and ongoing, basically taking it away for at least 90% of their total plays with some really good blocking schemes using their center and guards to seal the NG and usually the WILL LB, Stewart and sealing at least one LB on their run plays seemed to be their main concern, UTEP's back seven was also on their heels on all night. I feel like UTSA set a blueprint on how to gash the UTEP defense and lets hope that gets fixed because it can, I am not a coach so don't ask lol but you get what you pay for in a coaching staff, and UTSA's 28 million dollar man outshined Dimel's staff in a big way, not to mention the talent disparity that was clearly evident, but could have been overcame by adjustments and of course a better game plan, this loss was on the coaches not on the players one bit, I saw UTEP dudes playing hard and excited for the big crowd, they were just misaligned and really put in a bad spot, proving again Dimel is not ready to be extended, better teams expose things and UTSA did just that all night long.

And the offense hijo su......don't understand why Hankins or Wadley get more touches on screens and downhill runs, if I was Wadley I would have transferred a long time ago, really want to know what is up with his situation.

From what I saw before I lost attention and wanted to go drink outside the Sun Bowl....UTSA's offensive staff isolated UTEP's nose tackle from the second play of the game and ongoing, basically taking it away for at least 90% of their total plays with some really good blocking schemes using their center and guards to seal the NG and usually the WILL LB, Stewart and sealing at least one LB on their run plays seemed to be their main concern, UTEP's back seven was also on their heels on all night. I feel like UTSA set a blueprint on how to gash the UTEP defense and lets hope that gets fixed because it can, I am not a coach so don't ask lol but you get what you pay for in a coaching staff, and UTSA's 28 million dollar man outshined Dimel's staff in a big way, not to mention the talent disparity that was clearly evident, but could have been overcame by adjustments and of course a better game plan, this loss was on the coaches not on the players one bit, I saw UTEP dudes playing hard and excited for the big crowd, they were just misaligned and really put in a bad spot, proving again Dimel is not ready to be extended, better teams expose things and UTSA did just that all night long.

And the offense hijo su......don't understand why Hankins or Wadley get more touches on screens and downhill runs, if I was Wadley I would have transferred a long time ago, really want to know what is up with his situation.
The season's not over for Dimel yet. Okay, the best team in the conference won. If Dimel can get us to 8 wins I'll be happy. Next season, UTEP will be the experienced team. This season is the appetizer.

I always knew this but seeing it pointed out really drives it home.

UTSA saw what FAU did pretty much matched it. They are probably the best team UTEP plays all year. UTEP ran a lot of man to man one high safety looks to stack the box to stop McCormick. The defensive backs were playing a soft man to man with a 5 yard cushion even when they got inside the 10 yard line. They were giving up the inside all day and it isn't going to work. Should always take away the inside, and made Harris throw difficult passes to the sideline and make him beat you with his arm and accuracy. UTEP did some decent blitz but UTSA got the ball out quickly, so pretty much negated that. McCormick is the real deal, he has some great footwork and speed, and will be playing on Sundays.

Offensively,
UTEP didn't change it up, which is expected. Hardison is going to be a 50% completion percentage guy, who has a good deep ball but that it. He struggles with the touch when it comes to the short game. Reminds of Steven Montez back in high school. Offensive line got no push to somewhat of a push. Awatt and Hankins had any running room. Awatt had the longest run UTSA has given up, but UTSA play discipline and tackled really well. UTEP had some decent passes but nothing out of the usual. I believe Cowing got shaken up a couple times through out the night, but he shouldn't be coming off the field at any time the offense is out there, I am sorry but the guy can play. I think Hankins needs to work on his speed this offseason to be explosive he hits a hole. I might need to watch the broadcast, since I was at the game and I could get a better look at some stuff. Smith has been catching better which is good to see.

Overall:
I didn't expect UTEP to win, but defensively, probably one the better units UTEP has fielded in awhile even with giving up around 500 yards, but they can play, they were just out coached. They got some athletes, but if you can't put them in a spot to win and compete they are going to look bad. Offensively, I'm not a fan of it. You rely on the deep ball and running game isn't working then its going to be bad. I hope UTEP shakes off this lost and comes out to play this week against UNT if not then Dimel might be gone, which isn't a bad thing for the majority but for him it would be. I'll be at the game as well this week.

So, so true. They have come a long way to out recruiting us from having open tryouts in the Larry Coker days. One of my coworker's kids was a walk-on on that team because they needed all the warm bodies they could get. Look at them now. Respect is given where respect is due, UTSA. Shame is cast where shame is due, UTEP.

Reactions: axingfools1
While I agree with many of the comments regarding Utsa’s great talent and solid coaching, You have to keep in mind they are loaded with seniors and grad transfers. If you look at their two deep roster they are going to lose several key players next year like their QB, several offensive and defensive linemen, line backers, defensive backs and kicker. Many of these players were recruited by Frank Wilson, who was known to be a great recruiter, but not a good coach. This is definitely Utsa’s year to shine are they’re doing just that. It will be interesting to see if Traylor can have the same success in the next couple of years. We’ve seen several coaches at UTEP win with other coaches recruits.

Spot on Bigwood. That was some of the best offensive run blocking I have ever seen by UTSA. However, as the color commentators were saying, all you have to do is stay and cover your gaps and that didn't happen with the UTEP D.

While I agree with many of the comments regarding Utsa’s great talent and solid coaching, You have to keep in mind they are loaded with seniors and grad transfers. If you look at their two deep roster they are going to lose several key players next year like their QB, several offensive and defensive linemen, line backers, defensive backs and kicker. Many of these players were recruited by Frank Wilson, who was known to be a great recruiter, but not a good coach. This is definitely Utsa’s year to shine are they’re doing just that. It will be interesting to see if Traylor can have the same success in the next couple of years. We’ve seen several coaches at UTEP win with other coaches recruits.
UTSA looks like they could bring back 9 of 11 starters on offense. Frank Harris, Sincere McCormick, all 3 WRs, and 4/5ths of the offensive line should be back.

On defense they should bring back 7 of 11 starters. They'll lose 2 OLBs, a safety, and a cornerback.

The super senior rule has been huge for UTSA this season and will be again next season.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT