ADVERTISEMENT

Vote/Discuss: UTEP Basketball 100-Year Team

So I can only assume that Tim Hardaway, Jim Barnes, Nate Archibald, Antonio Davis, and Bobby Joe Hill are already on the team? Since you couldn't vote for them?

Classic era that would clean up the CUSA today

Brewster
"Bad News" Barnes
Roshern Aimee
Fred Reynolds
T. White

These guys had warrior blood, fire in their belly, pumping in their veins. Unlike "Bad News", Aimee and Brewster were not on great teams overall but they left their heart and guts on the floor. Roshern could have played for any top school in the late 70's but he chose UTEP.

Reactions: MineroFanatico
So I can only assume that Tim Hardaway, Jim Barnes, Nate Archibald, Antonio Davis, and Bobby Joe Hill are already on the team? Since you couldn't vote for them?
Ten players have earned automatic selection to the team by being voted to the UTEP Basketball Centennial Team in 2014 -- Nate Archibald (1967-70), Jim Barnes (1962-64), Randy Culpepper (2007-11), Antonio Davis (1986-90), Tim Hardaway (1985-89), Bobby Joe Hill (1964-67), Jeep Jackson (1983-87), Stefon Jackson (2005-09), David Lattin (1965-67) and Nolan Richardson (1960-63).

Wow, this was tough for me. Here are the Classic Era players that I voted for:

Charlie Brown - I am too young to have seen him play, but you can't discount his importance. Not only was he the first black basketball player at UTEP (actually, Texas Western), he was the first black man to play college basketball in the Southern US. That in itself is significant, but, talking to Charlie and Sweet Lou (both of whom, unfortunately, are no longer with us) several years ago, he was also a hell of a basketball player. A tremendous leaper and tenacious defender, Charlie was First Team All Border Conference all three years that he played, and the Border Conference MVP in 1957. A true Miner legend that nowhere near enough Miner fans know about.
Harry Flournoy - Another Miner legend that I had the privilege to meet and talk to. Harry was a member of two absolutely great Miner basketball teams: the 1966 team, of course, and the 1964 team. Haskins always said that as great as his 1966 team was, he thought that the 1964 team was better. Flournoy agreed. That team was prevented from making history by a ref who kept calling quick fouls on Jim Barnes, only allowing him play for a ridiculously small number of minutes in the NCAA Tourney. For his part, Flournoy was a tremendous rebounder, a capable scorer, and a captain of that 1966 team.
Orsten Artis - Another member of both the 1964 and 1966 team, Artis was the best shooter on the team. He was also a co-captain in 1966 along with Flournoy.
Fred Reynolds - How many Miner fans remember that in 1984 we were at one point ranked as one of the top five teams in the nation, and finished the season ranked tenth? The best player on that team? Reynolds. Quick, tough, able to score from mid-range and drive hard to the basket, he might have been the best of an absolutely ridiculous number of quality players we had at the three spot in the 80s (Juden Smith, Quintan Gates, and Chris Sandle were among the others).

There were a couple of Classic Era guys I hated leaving out. Nevil Shed is another Miner legend, and good inside scorer and rebounder, and, of course, another national champion. Jim Forbes made the Olympic Team before his career was hampered by injury. Haskins always said that he would have been a star in the NBA otherwise.

Now for the Modern Era:

Brandon Wolfram - This was a guy I really thought had a shot at the NBA. A solid defender and rebounder, he was an absolutely amazing offensive player. Not only was he an outstanding scorer in the post, he had range out the three three point line as well. He is the best scorer from the four or five spot that I've personally seen in a Miner uniform.
Marlon Maxey - Someone from 1992 had to make the team. An All WAC First Team selection, Maxey was a beast inside. Incredibly strong, he was also skilled and had a mean streak. He and teammate David Van Dyke were one of UTEP's best inside tandems.
Fili Rivera - In my opinion Fili is the best playmaker I've seen at UTEP since Tim Hardaway. He was great at penetrating the defense, where he was adept at both finishing himself or setting up a teammate for an easy bucket. Definitely a key to the Miners making consecutive trips to the NCAA Tournament.
Antoine Gillespie - One of the best pure scorers from the guard position at UTEP. Like Wolfram, it's a shame that he didn't play on better teams.
Pony Goodwin - Like many of the guys that played in the mid 80s, his stats don't pop out at you. Why? Those teams were stacked. I don't care what the statistics say, Pony was the best pure shooter that I have seen in a Miner uniform, and he had ice water in his veins. I still remember his pull up from the top of the key to beat UNM in the PIT. The teams from the early to mid 80s may not have known how lucky they were that the NCAA hadn't adopted three point line back when Pony was playing.
Juden Smith - Imagine a slightly shorter Julian Washburn who was a much more consistent offensive threat, and you have Juden Smith. An absolute Beast on defense (hence his nickname), Juden had a deadly mid-range jump shot, but it was his ultra quick first step and ability to finish off of the drive that most people remember. And before someone pulls up the numbers to compare Juden's and Julian's offensive stats, remember, Juden played on some stacked teams, where there weren't enough basketballs to go around.

Of course, there are some Modern Era guys I hated leaving off. David Van Dyke is far and away the best shot blocker that I've ever seen in a Miner uniform, and one of the best that I've ever seen in college. Eddie Rivera was a tremendous playmaker for that 1992 team, and was ultra-competitive. Omar Thomas is one of the best offensive players to ever wear Miner Orange, and, along with Fili, one of the prime reasons we went to consecutive NCAA Tournaments. Julian Washburn, Julyan Stone, and Jason Williams were three of the absolute best defenders to play for UTEP; Haskins would have loved them.

Last edited:
CLASSIC ERA
I voted for Charlie Brown, Orsten Artis, Fred Reynolds, and Jim Forbes.

Modern ERA
I voted for Pony Goodwin, Fili Rivera, Omar Thomas, Jason Williams, Juden Smith, and David Van Dyke.

Reactions: axingfools1
And was the #1 overall pick in the NBA Draft
I was too young to see Barnes play but is there anyone on this board that had the chance to see him play? Was he as dominant as people say? And aside from what I’ve read on Wikipedia why did his NBA career not pan out?

Reactions: Miners1991
I was too young to see Barnes play but is there anyone on this board that had the chance to see him play? Was he as dominant as people say? And aside from what I’ve read on Wikipedia why did his NBA career not pan out?

I wasn't born yet when Barnes played for the Miners, and only four years old when his NBA career ended in 1971. But all you have to do is look at his stats to see how dominant he was. His senior year he averaged 29.1 points and 19.2 rebounds per game - unbelievable numbers. Obviously no one we played could even pretend to stop him.

Sweet Lou once told me that he simply didn't have the work ethic once he made it to the NBA. If that's the case then it's too bad. He was obviously phenomenally talented.

Reactions: MineroFanatico
Just read a bit about him. 6'8" 210 lbs. He was on all NBA rookie team averaging 15 and 10. He won a chip with the Celtics backing up Russell. Career cut short due to knee and Achilles injuries.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT