ADVERTISEMENT

Wade?

topminer

All Star
Sep 5, 2003
Does anyone, by chance, have an inside scoop (other than his brother's deleted tweet)? There seem to be plenty of rumors, but has anyone asked Phil Johnson directly?

Media did ask him after the NMSU game I believe, Wade is a terrible and unwilling defender. His defensive effort was poor against Lamar, really poor. I get he is talented, but that effort against Lamar was not D-1 worthy, Matador defense. Johnson didn't say that verbatim, but that is what is going on with Wade I've heard.

If I remember correctly, I think he's out for just a little while longer. Must have been a bad one. College athletes are in tip top shape and the body heals much more quickly for non tears, non ruptures, and non fractures. I'm actually surprised he didn't pop in for WSU game for a few minutes.

Yes, I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

If I remember correctly, I think he's out for just a little while longer. Must have been a bad one. College athletes are in tip top shape and the body heals much more quickly for non tears, non ruptures, and non fractures. I'm actually surprised he didn't pop in for WSU game for a few minutes.

Yes, I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

I didn't think he was injured?

He had 13 points in 20 minutes against Lamar and 11 points in 16 minutes against NMSU. I think he did OK in the other games he played in.

If anybody wants to talk about a terrible player talk about Flaggert. Wade is far from terrible.

Last edited:
Reactions: TW3miner
Media did ask him after the NMSU game I believe, Wade is a terrible and unwilling defender. His defensive effort was poor against Lamar, really poor. I get he is talented, but that effort against Lamar was not D-1 worthy, Matador defense. Johnson didn't say that verbatim, but that is what is going on with Wade I've heard.

He had a steal and a block in that Lamar game, how was that terrible? Hes only a Freshman and learning that retarded "junk" defense aint just gonna be come easy. Second on the team in blocks with playing out of position, so his defense aint that bad. All this defense stuff is bull.

Reactions: El Paso 777
He had a steal and a block in that Lamar game, how was that terrible? Hes only a Freshman and learning that retarded "junk" defense aint just gonna be come easy. Second on the team in blocks with playing out of position, so his defense aint that bad. All this defense stuff is bull.
Block and steals are fun stats sometimes, although they don't tell a story. He was continuously beat of the dribble against Lamar and if you were watching close, it looked terrible and effortless and Johnson has been going strictly man, UTEP has not ran a junk defense since the NMSU game on the road I do believe..

This team needs Wade now and in the future. He will be a key component to the team if it works out. Anyway, the more telling thing to me is the pouting. There are pics of the bench during the Wash St. game where all his teammates are jumping and yelling. He is sitting down seemingly sulking.

BTW can somebody tell me how to post pics on here? I'll be happy to post it.

Block and steals are fun stats sometimes, although they don't tell a story. He was continuously beat of the dribble against Lamar and if you were watching close, it looked terrible and effortless and Johnson has been going strictly man, UTEP has not ran a junk defense since the NMSU game on the road I do believe..

Fun stats huh? Production is production and his defense definitely wasn't the reason we loss that game. Defensively, he is not the worse on the team and if you look at it analytically, his +\- is always High. You got a freshman building confidence and you bench him for one game of "bad" defense? Doesn't make sense to me.

Fun stats huh? Production is production and his defense definitely wasn't the reason we loss that game. Defensively, he is not the worse on the team and if you look at it analytically, his +\- is always High. You got a freshman building confidence and you bench him for one game of "bad" defense? Doesn't make sense to me.
I agree he should be getting more minutes, and that's the Tim Floyd in Johnson, stubbornness that runs kids off. In my opinion block, steals, and +/- are stats that I don't really like or care for at all, but not saying you're wrong or anything my man I was just told his defensive effort was not worth minutes, but he's a legit player hope it works out in the end...

Im not for the sulking, but I understand a player competitive nature. I understand how fickle college coaches can be too. College coaches bring a player in, telling him all these positive things he can do and when they get him in, everything changes. I know Wade is a respectful to his coaches and works hard in practice and for the team. Floyd said Wade is "a very conscientious player and just wants play right for team" and benching him makes a player lose confidence.

Im not for the sulking, but I understand a player competitive nature. I understand how fickle college coaches can be too. College coaches bring a player in, telling him all these positive things he can do and when they get him in, everything changes. I know Wade is a respectful to his coaches and works hard in practice and for the team. Floyd said Wade is "a very conscientious player and just wants play right for team" and benching him makes a player lose confidence.

So what do you think the whole benching is about then? Sounds like you think that the "lack of defense" idea is bs. What do you think it's really about then?

I have not been one to side with the coaches on this staff for at least the last 4 years, but there's got to be more to this story to bench such a talent.

Reactions: miner1liner
So what do you think the whole benching is about then? Sounds like you think that the "lack of defense" idea is bs. What do you think it's really about then?

I have not been one to side with the coaches on this staff for at least the last 4 years, but there's got to be more to this story to bench such a talent.

Idk exactly, but the whole defense thing sounds bologna to me. Lol the conspiracy side of me, think Floyd and Phil are working together to make him leave to get back a the university for the "forced" retirement of Floyd but I also think Phil has affinity for those guys who been there like Flaggert and Omega.

I agree he should be getting more minutes, and that's the Tim Floyd in Johnson, stubbornness that runs kids off. In my opinion block, steals, and +/- are stats that I don't really like or care for at all, but not saying you're wrong or anything my man I was just told his defensive effort was not worth minutes, but he's a legit player hope it works out in the end...

James Harden and Isaiah Thomas aren't great defenders and I'm not equating him to level of those players but their positive out weighs the negative.

James Harden and Isaiah Thomas aren't great defenders and I'm not equating him to level of those players but their positive out weighs the negative.
Couldn't agree more, I like your "fickle college basketball coaches comment" that is certainly holding true with a good talent like Wade.

Reactions: minermx07
Someone said that alot of times Athletes come from schools where they were never asked to play defense and they get to college and are almost offended that they have to

Reactions: EPTUTEP
So basically, summarizing actual credible sources on here it sounds like he's not working hard enough in practice. That's what it sounds like to me. Nothing more, nothing less.

The odd thing is that Floyd really touted Wade as a potential outstanding wing defender. I don't think it is a question of physical skills, but more of effort. I agree on Wade's effort in the Lamar game. Also, his body language on the bench the last couple of games has not been good. I am not saying he should be a cheerleader, but he looks completely disconnected from the team. Too bad, he definitely has some nice skills. Johnson has mentioned on many occasions how he is comfortable with Flaggert in the lineup because he does what he is asked to do, and limits mistakes.

Reactions: axingfools1
So basically, summarizing actual credible sources on here it sounds like he's not working hard enough in practice. That's what it sounds like to me. Nothing more, nothing less.

I don't know. Maybe, maybe not. One thing I do know is that this staff has a penchant for putting players in the doghouse, then leaving them there for an exorbitant amount of time.

I like what Tony Barbee once said. I wish I could find the exact quote. But it was something along the lines of the players are here to please the coaches not the other way around. When you go into the real world and get a job it’s the employees responsibility to make the boss happy. Not the boss make the employee happy.

All these entitled kids need to understand the world doesn’t revolve around them. It’s better to learn that lesson in college than to get fired from their job. We are all easily replaceable so get with the program.

Reactions: MinerJo
Blah, blah, blah. My take is ...for a team that has struggled to say the least, but has shown some promise last two games; whatever the problem is with Wade... work it out!!!!!! He's got too much talent to rot on the bench. For everyone's sake work it out. We don't want a repeat of last year's Trey departure. Life's too short
Amen

Last edited:
Imo, wade is gone. He's obviously checked out on the team, and they've checked out on him.

He's probably the most talented freshman I've seen offensively since, well.... maybe ever. It's certainly been a while since i saw a freshman shoot with his consistency, poise, and fluidity...

I like what Tony Barbee once said. I wish I could find the exact quote. But it was something along the lines of the players are here to please the coaches not the other way around. When you go into the real world and get a job it’s the employees responsibility to make the boss happy. Not the boss make the employee happy.

All these entitled kids need to understand the world doesn’t revolve around them. It’s better to learn that lesson in college than to get fired from their job. We are all easily replaceable so get with the program.

Firstly the players make the school. Why you think this huge scandal occurred with NCAA men's basketball and College sports are basically like a job to players anyway. As an employee, you have the right to leave an job if you feel your not being compensated for you skills correctly, which is probably what Wade will do. Players are not entitled to any program and certainly not any to fair weather fans who will turn on you as soon as your doing bad. You are easily replaceable

Firstly the players make the school. Why you think this huge scandal occurred with NCAA men's basketball and College sports are basically like a job to players anyway. As an employee, you have the right to leave an job if you feel your not being compensated for you skills correctly, which is probably what Wade will do. Players are not entitled to any program and certainly not any to fair weather fans who will turn on you as soon as your doing bad. You are easily replaceable

This sounds like it's hitting close to home, eh?

Wish it could be worked out, but I just don't get the feeling, from either side, that's going to happen. As unfortunate as it is, we Miner fans are used to this outcome.

I wish the kid all the best.

The odd thing is that Floyd really touted Wade as a potential outstanding wing defender. I don't think it is a question of physical skills, but more of effort. I agree on Wade's effort in the Lamar game. Also, his body language on the bench the last couple of games has not been good. I am not saying he should be a cheerleader, but he looks completely disconnected from the team. Too bad, he definitely has some nice skills. Johnson has mentioned on many occasions how he is comfortable with Flaggert in the lineup because he does what he is asked to do, and limits mistakes.

You think Frazier does what he asked all the time? And You see how much Flaggert doing what he told do has got you, a whopping 5 PPG, 2 Reb and 1 assist last yr. Lol

This sounds like it's hitting close to home, eh?

Wish it could be worked out, but I just don't get the feeling, from either side, that's going to happen. As unfortunate as it is, we Miner fans are used to this outcome.

I wish the kid all the best.

Yea I played college sports and so I'm more inclined to side with players than coaches but he acted like UTEP gets great talent all the time lol Wade was a Prop 48 guy so I'm pretty sure he had better offers if he would have qualified.

Yea I played college sports and so I'm more inclined to side with players than coaches but he acted like UTEP gets great talent all the time lol Wade was a Prop 48 guy so I'm pretty sure he had better offers if he would have qualified.

Well, we do sign some talent to UTEP. How long they stay, or whether they even make it onto campus, is another story altogether. The coulda, shoulda, woulda here at UTEP is surpassed by no other. That's why I said we're used to this.

You think Frazier does what he asked all the time? And You see how much Flaggert doing what he told do has got you, a whopping 5 PPG, 2 Reb and 1 assist last yr. Lol
I don't agree with the decision to not play Wade. I wasn't clear in my post above. I don't like that the staff sat Gilyard for the better part of two games either. It is tough watching borderline role players getting starter like minutes. I think the message can be sent to the player without being so drastic, and at the expense of the team. In Wade's case, we are probably way beyond this stage.

Coaches bench players to call their attention to something. In TW's case it's his hustle on defense. Doesn't matter what Flaggert does. He doesn't have the talent Wade has. Flaggert does what Flaggert can. Coaches want to make players better. That's it. If a players reaction is to quit, he'll be quitting his whole life. If his reaction is to get better you have a winner. Plain and simple. Life is not about adversity, it's about how you react to adversity that gives you character.

I don't agree with the decision to not play Wade. I wasn't clear in my post above. I don't like that the staff sat Gilyard for the better part of two games either. It is tough watching borderline role players getting starter like minutes. I think the message can be sent to the player without being so drastic, and at the expense of the team. In Wade's case, we are probably way beyond this stage.
AMEN!!!!!!!!!

Once again, it's basically speculation on what the problem is with Wade; so not knowing it's impossible to diagnose it.

Reactions: TW3miner
That was Wade's problem.

CTF gave him a chance, but he owes nothing to UTEP. He can stay and do well, or leave, sit out a year, and do well. I think we all want him to stay but the attrition here has become so common place that most of us are numb.

EP Times article made no mention of Wade at all like he wasn't even on the team. Not a good sign.

The Phil Johnson radio show was last night. I would think the number One question would be, "Explain what's up with Trey Wade?". Nobody has mentioned it today. Was anyone there? Did the question get posed? I'm finding this too goofy to comprehend.

Reactions: MineroFanatico
ADVERTISEMENT