ADVERTISEMENT

Way To Early Football Predictions

nattybry

MI Miner Maniac
Jul 7, 2003
Well until we get some news about incoming transfers and recruits for Utep Basketball. We might as well talk about Utep Football after Spring Ball wrapped up.

1. QB Set barring injury
2. RB Set barring injuries
3. WR ??????? Will Smith slap around corner backs like Cowing did last year? (Some Pun intended)
4. O-Line Set barring injuries
5. TE- ???? Hasn't really been featured too much since Dimel arrived.

1. D- line Best in Conference
2. LB Steady
3. Secondary some holes to fill, but has potential
Coaching: Stayed in tact for the most part. This team finished hungry for more after a close loss to a strong Fresno St. team Our defense will be top 30 once again and if Hardison can make smarter decisions, this team could win 8+

Prediction 8-4 6-2 in conference

It's nice to go into a season with high hopes and possibly a team that can live up to it! 2 bowls in a row hasn't happened in awhile, I believe it does next year!!!

Well until we get some news about incoming transfers and recruits for Utep Basketball. We might as well talk about Utep Football after Spring Ball wrapped up.

1. QB Set barring injury
2. RB Set barring injuries
3. WR ??????? Will Smith slap around corner backs like Cowing did last year? (Some Pun intended)
4. O-Line Set barring injuries
5. TE- ???? Hasn't really been featured too much since Dimel arrived.

1. D- line Best in Conference
2. LB Steady
3. Secondary some holes to fill, but has potential
Coaching: Stayed in tact for the most part. This team finished hungry for more after a close loss to a strong Fresno St. team Our defense will be top 30 once again and if Hardison can make smarter decisions, this team could win 8+

Prediction 8-4 6-2 in conference

It's nice to go into a season with high hopes and possibly a team that can live up to it! 2 bowls in a row hasn't happened in awhile, I believe it does next year!!!
We got 7 wins last year. Since season’s end I’ve said 8 wins or bust. It is entirely possible.

Reactions: bamfor
North Texas- L
Oklahoma- L
NMSU- W
UNM- W
Boise State- L
Charlotte- W- First Win in the Eastern Time Zone!!
Louisiana Tech- W
Florida Atlantic- W
Middle Tennessee- L
Rice- W
Florida International- W
UTSA- L

Prediction- 7-5

Reactions: utep-piggy
North Texas- L
Oklahoma- L
NMSU- W
UNM- W
Boise State- L
Charlotte- W- First Win in the Eastern Time Zone!!
Louisiana Tech- W
Florida Atlantic- W
Middle Tennessee- L
Rice- W
Florida International- W
UTSA- L

Prediction- 7-5
Agree with most of your predictions except for losing to north texas at home the first game of the season. UNT had to replace their entire defensive line so the miners should be able to control the line of scrimmage and run all over them and control the clock.

season 8-4

Agree with most of your predictions except for losing to north texas at home the first game of the season. UNT had to replace their entire defensive line so the miners should be able to control the line of scrimmage and run all over them and control the clock.

season 8-4
Same with one exception. UTEP goes 5-1 at home with the loss being Boise St. The Miners go 4-2 on the road losing to OU and UTSA. So 7-1 in conference and 9-3 overall. Hopefully a bowl win too plus improved attendance.

Where do you all think our scoring is going to come from?
Recruiting, returning starters and more experienced depth on both sides of the ball will put UTEP in better position to win this year. Wr's look pretty damn good and that was the concern. Dimel and staff addressed that well. UTEP scored 25 points per game last season and with a bigger, deeper and more experienced offense they should score more. The defense looks to be somewhat better as well. Creating a few more turnovers should help our scoring too. Add to all that a bit easier conference schedule and we should have a good season.

Last edited:
Recruiting, returning starters and more experienced depth on both sides of the ball will put UTEP in better position to win this year. Wr's look pretty damn good and that was the conern. Dimel and staff addressed that well. UTEP scored 25 points per game last season and with a bigger, deeper and more experienced offense they should score more. The defense looks to be somewhat better as well. Creating a few more turnovers should help our scoring too. Add to all that a bit easier conference schedule and we should have a good season.
I dont know. Cowing took the top off of most of our opponents defenses and we still collapsed to end the season. I hope you are right.

Last edited:
I know OU is still OU but they had many players transfer out. This will be a rebuilding year for them. I think the Miners start with a win against unt and if they play OU close, this will set the tone for the season. I also think 8+ wins plus a bowl win is a fair expectation. Barring major injuries or total collapse this should be our best team in over 10 years. It would also be great to avenge our losses against utsa and the other defectors.

Reactions: MinerInWisconsin
I know OU is still OU but they had many players transfer out. This will be a rebuilding year for them. I think the Miners start with a win against unt and if they play OU close, this will set the tone for the season.
OU’s backups and freshman would beat UTEP by 3 touchdowns. Until UTEP proves otherwise, they can only beat the worst of FBS. Luckily, most of their games include those teams.

OU’s backups and freshman would beat UTEP by 3 touchdowns. Until UTEP proves otherwise, they can only beat the worst of FBS. Luckily, most of their games include those teams.
Could happen that way and it usually does but I think this team will take another step forward. I see the OU game as similar to the way Price's last team played vs OU, Wisconsin and Ole Miss. Losses but much more competitive than the usual UTEP outing vs P5 teams.

Me too, but do you really think that is going to happen?
I think UTEP will be improved and have a better record than last season. I think UTEP will win the opener vs UNT and have that under their belts going into the OU game. And I think the game vs OU will be more competitive than most think. I'm looking forward to the season with anticipation rather than with trepidation like so many other seasons. I don't have a crystal ball but regardless of the outcome of the OU game, I think we will have more good games than bad this season.

I think UTEP will be improved and have a better record than last season. I think UTEP will win the opener vs UNT and have that under their belts going into the OU game. And I think the game vs OU will be more competitive than most think. I'm looking forward to the season with anticipation rather than with trepidation like so many other seasons. I don't have a crystal ball but regardless of the outcome of the OU game, I think we will have more good games than bad this season.

I think the record will be the same as last year, but I don't see the Oklahoma game being close.

Reactions: Rocketsr
ESPN predicts we will finish 9th of 11th in CUSA and only 12 teams ahead of last in all of college football. They expect a 4-8/5-7 kind of season.

Reactions: axingfools1
ESPN predicts we will finish 9th of 11th in CUSA and only 12 teams ahead of last in all of college football. They expect a 4-8/5-7 kind of season.

Sounds about right after losing our best player and with our coach.

Our defensive 7 should be pretty decent, but outside of that I just don't see how we keep up on offense.

Reactions: denverutep

Don't agree. I'd be very surprised if we go below .500

Reactions: Rot and kickballpro
Sounds about right after losing our best player and with our coach.

Our defensive 7 should be pretty decent, but outside of that I just don't see how we keep up on offense.
Naturally it's easy to assume why we would take a step back. Last season's ooc we had an FCS team, no P5, and UNM at home.

There's a serious possibility of starting 1-5. UNT has had some of the best rated G5 recruiting classes the last 3-4 years and will be trouble in week 0. OU is a loss and I don't expect it to be closer than a 3 score game. NMSU should be a win. UNM was tough last year without their starting qb and whatever other 7 players/starters were missing. Don't know if we'll enjoy that same handicap this season. Boise a loss. The east coast curse could still continue to haunt us.

Of course maybe Hardison is more accurate now, we found someone better than Cowing and our offense is much improved. That could lead to a 4-2 start. Somewhere in the middle is the minimum expectation.

I question how much research goes into picking the records for lower tiered schools. I’m not saying UTEP will win 10 games but 6 or 7 wins should be expected with this team at minimum. Yes they have questions at WR and DB but this may be the deepest team the Miners have returned since Price was coaching. And the D-Line should be one of the best in the conference, when was the last time that happened? 2000?

I question how much research goes into picking the records for lower tiered schools. I’m not saying UTEP will win 10 games but 6 or 7 wins should be expected with this team at minimum. Yes they have questions at WR and DB but this may be the deepest team the Miners have returned since Price was coaching. And the D-Line should be one of the best in the conference, when was the last time that happened? 2000?
I would bet SI just looks at who we are playing and who we lost. That’s probably their in depth study.

I think there's a bit of thought and research put into those predictions.

Here's the formula if anyone is interested.

I think there's a bit of thought and research put into those predictions.

Here's the formula if anyone is interested.

Meh… it’s all bullshit. UTEP’s gonna take a big knock in these rankings because Cowing is gone and that was a major part of our offensive output. But we all saw it last year, the defense showed an ability to play lights out last year and other than question marks at WR and DB what else are we missing? Dimel has recruited tons of guys to throw at those holes so hopefully they can have several guys fill the gaps, but there’s no way this team should be ranked that low.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT