ADVERTISEMENT

Welcome Rodney Terry

Has there been some sort of announcement? I see nothing at the UTEP athletics site or at Rodney Terry's Wikipedia page.

Eric OBrien Ch4 tweeted it this morning, Miner Rush is expecting it as well as Jon Rothstein CBS sports insider..

Ok coach Terry, for starters, this is El Paso. ALL the Mexican restaurants are pretty good and have something to offer. There are your top stars from Carlos and Mickey's and L&J's to your local neighborhood joints that offer a taste of something different. Abeulita has the best homemade. East, west, north and east.

I agree on Gilyard. He is our future and can take a UTEP team to the NCAA. UTEP fans are concerned he may transfer. Tidbits you will be told or pick up on, UTEP does NOT lose to Rice. Third, NMSU has owned UTEP for a few years now. It must be reversed. Rebounding and free throws were a hallmark of Haskins and focused on by any coach worth his or her salt. UTEP sucked at both this past year. There are several games UTEP could have won the last two years if they just made their free throws.

Don't forget Kiki's and House of Pizza !!!
Ok coach Terry, for starters, this is El Paso. ALL the Mexican restaurants are pretty good and have something to offer. There are your top stars from Carlos and Mickey's and L&J's to your local neighborhood joints that offer a taste of something different. Abeulita has the best homemade. East, west, north and east.

I agree on Gilyard. He is our future and can take a UTEP team to the NCAA. UTEP fans are concerned he may transfer. Tidbits you will be told or pick up on, UTEP does NOT lose to Rice. Third, NMSU has owned UTEP for a few years now. It must be reversed. Rebounding and free throws were a hallmark of Haskins and focused on by any coach worth his or her salt. UTEP sucked at both this past year. There are several games UTEP could have won the last two years if they just made their free throws.

Could Senter have done better? Yes, but not by much. Could he have done worse? Yes, a lot worse!
I'm good with Coach Rodney Terry, I'm hopeful, let's do this!
Welcome to UTEP, welcome to El Paso, Welcome home to Texas!

Last edited:
I know one of the regular trolls criticized UTEP about not making minority hires. When proven wrong in multiple sports he said only men's basketball and football mattered. Well, here you go..

I really like this hire. Coach Terry wants to be here. He brings strong ties to Texas, is wired in in California and has a history of recruiting all-conference talent. He wanted be somewhere that was willing to make the same commitment to winning that he has so it was perfect timing for Coach Terry and our program. Senter has already found the money to upgrade salaries for our football coaches and I have no doubt that he’ll do the same for basketball. Looking forward to next season.

This is a great hire. I don't what some people are upset about. We are a struggling program in a one bid league. To poach a coach from the MWC is an absolute coup for Senter.
Perry's experience at Fresno will help him at UTEP. Neither place are sexy places to recruit. Fresno is closer to major metropolitan areas than El Paso and not near as isolated but you a lot of the same challenges. Terry gets a bigger budget to work with the only downgrade he faces is Fresno's facilities are better than ours.

Great hire. He will make noise in this weak league relatively fast. Unfortunately the season will come down to three days in March. At least now we've put ourselves in a posistion to realistically have a chance to win the conference tourney.

I'd like to pretend I'm excited about this hire, but I'm not. Rodney's credentials are no better (and probably worse) than Floyd's when he arrived. Yeah, he's had a couple decent seasons at Fresno, but nothing of note.

At best, this is a lateral move. Good luck to him, though. He has his work cut out for him...

I'd like to pretend I'm excited about this hire, but I'm not. Rodney's credentials are no better (and probably worse) than Floyd's when he arrived. Yeah, he's had a couple decent seasons at Fresno, but nothing of note.

At best, this is a lateral move. Good luck to him, though. He has his work cut out for him...

Can't agree that Terry's credentials are worse when there was the Floyd resignation after the OJ Mayo scandal

Welcome coach! Now go get us some big men that can run the floor and rebound!!!!!

I second the mention of free throw shooting! This previous staff, was horendous at either bringing in guys that could get it done at the line, or quite frankly it was not stressed enough. Were going back to fundamentals lol

Can't agree that Terry's credentials are worse when there was the Floyd resignation after the OJ Mayo scandal

Great point! Floyd was tainted when he was hired. We're the only school that would touch him. He never won without cheating.

True, but I'm not so sure that's what held him back in the end.

Honestly, I think our conf affiliation and lack of any real accomplishments of late are the biggest hurdle. We used to have a little "prestige" (at least for a smaller school), but that is long gone. There are a lot of top notch mid majors to choose from these days, and none of these kids even know what a "UTEP" is.

I hope for the best, but I simply can't bring myself to get excited about Terry. He seems like the type of coach who will give you a consistent dose of decent seasons, with a sprinkle of NIT appearances every so often. Time will tell....

Most of us expected the second coming of Don Haskins but Floyd was not 50% what Haskins was. He could never live up to that.

Is he actually getting a raise over Fresno St.? What does the hire tell us? He's jumping to a lower basketball conference (MWC vs. CUSA) for, I'm guessing, roughly the same pay, so he must see some sort of advantage being here vs. Fresno St. We know the basketball recruiting budget is higher at UTEP. He must see that, plus the fan support, as advantages that will enable him to win more at UTEP.

Is he actually getting a raise over Fresno St.? What does the hire tell us? He's jumping to a lower basketball conference (MWC vs. CUSA) for, I'm guessing, roughly the same pay, so he must see some sort of advantage being here vs. Fresno St. We know the basketball recruiting budget is higher at UTEP. He must see that, plus the fan support, as advantages that will enable him to win more at UTEP.

If we take him at his word, some media sources have mentioned that he has said that he thinks he has taken Fresno St as far as he can. Not sure if it’ll be any easier here. Bigger recruiting budget does not equate to better recruiting necessarily. I obviously hope he just needs a new start and that he strikes gold with the metaphoric pick axe,

It will be interesting to see if Terry carries over any of the previous staff, perhaps Braswell. Doing so may increase the chances of some of the current players staying. Realistically, I would expect Terry to bring most/all his assistants from Fresno. The good thing with the hire is that there still may be some time to convince some of the guys he wants to keep to stick around. As discussed, I would expect Terry to go JC and graduate transfer heavy for his first recruiting class.

Last edited:
If we take him at his word, some media sources have mentioned that he has said that he thinks he has taken Fresno St as far as he can. Not sure if it’ll be any easier here. Bigger recruiting budget does not equate to better recruiting necessarily. I obviously hope he just needs a new start and that he strikes gold with the metaphoric pick axe,
Fresno State is football first. UTEP is historically the opposite.

I'm just reaading in between the lines from media reporting and his comments and it appears Fresno basketball has gone flat, tire pressure is low, no seasoning, or as they say in "gringolandia", "That dog don't hunt" no more.

I think he sees a much easier path to conference championships. In the MWC SDSU, UNLV and UNM have the ability to be legit national contenders. If somehow the MWC gets Gonzaga, St Mary's and GCU they would add three more schools Fresno could never catch. In C-USA WKU has the most tradition and pedigree but nowhere the upside of the top three MWC schools. For the money we throw at basketball we should be able to compete in C-USA. We would have the same problems as Fresno in the MWC, but in a very weak c-usa Terry can build a perrenial contender in very short order.

Welcome coach! Hoping you can keep the nucleus of this current team together. Hoping that the two 6'11" redshirts you recruited at Fresno transfer to UTEP! Hoping you don't let the
omnipresent trolls in this community get under your skin. Hope we sell out the Don this season to show you what El Paso can be. You made a great choice.

Minerforlife mentions Fresno State having better facilities. Wouldn't know about that, but I read in one of the articles on Terry that Fresno didn't have a practice facility. We do. Wouldn't that be a factor? He's half the distance to where he grew up. Another factor. Better budget? At least for recruiting. And I'd say attendance was a factor, too. Terry had several 20 win seasons, but still saw declining numbers. If he gives the Miners two or three 20 plus win seasons, I'll bet our average attendance goes over 9,000. That would be the best recruiting inducement in a long time. Hope he does well.

I've been back and forth about this. I liked his name when it first came up. Then I liked a couple others better. Then I REALLY loved Fox....I was disappointed when I heard it was Terry, but after a while, I am good with it.

Yes, it's a pretty safe hire, but the dude really wants to be here and hasn't sucked at Fresno. He doesn't have ties previously to UTEP and has head coaching experience.

Now let's go kick some ass.....

Reactions: Axe-cuseme
Minerforlife mentions Fresno State having better facilities. Wouldn't know about that, but I read in one of the articles on Terry that Fresno didn't have a practice facility. We do. Wouldn't that be a factor? He's half the distance to where he grew up. Another factor. Better budget? At least for recruiting. And I'd say attendance was a factor, too. Terry had several 20 win seasons, but still saw declining numbers. If he gives the Miners two or three 20 plus win seasons, I'll bet our average attendance goes over 9,000. That would be the best recruiting inducement in a long time. Hope he does well.

That's interesting. I was speaking about the Save Mart Center. It's a 18,000 seat first class arena. It's definatley the best facility in the MWC and quite possibly the best college facility on the west coast.

That's interesting. I was speaking about the Save Mart Center. It's a 18,000 seat first class arena. It's definatley the best facility in the MWC and quite possibly the best college facility on the west coast.
15,500 not 18,000 seat arena never the less a little more than 10 yeats old and a top notch facility. No practice gym no workout gym or meetimg rooms and smalled basketball budget. Also they shared the arena for many other events so sometime they'd have to practice elsewhere. Don Needs about 10 million in renovations along with 20 million on Sun Bowl. Don't even get me started on Arena, but I'd be all for taking some of that bond money and adding 2000 seats and renovating the Don. I know its a different story city and University. Just saying we need a venue to take concert and events from going up the road to Cruces.

I believe another factor in his dissatisfaction with Fresno was that they have had no AD for awhile and apparently not in any hurry to hire one either.

15,500 not 18,000 seat arena never the less a little more than 10 yeats old and a top notch facility. No practice gym no workout gym or meetimg rooms and smalled basketball budget. Also they shared the arena for many other events so sometime they'd have to practice elsewhere. Don Needs about 10 million in renovations along with 20 million on Sun Bowl. Don't even get me started on Arena, but I'd be all for taking some of that bond money and adding 2000 seats and renovating the Don. I know its a different story city and University. Just saying we need a venue to take concert and events from going up the road to Cruces.

The Sun Bowl going to get 50-60 million dollar upgrade. I don't think there are any plans for the Don as of now. The Haskins center needs some seats removed. The top half of seats in sections behind the baseline need to be removed. Those seats produce no revenue. Make those spaces lounges or suites but make them revenue producing areas. 8000 seats is about the perfect size. Cut the student section in half create there hasn't been a student section in over a decade. Raise prices of the remaining seats about 5-10% enough to generate a bump in revenue but not enough of an increase for people to complain about.

Reactions: JCorona
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT