ADVERTISEMENT

Western Kentucky DESERVES to be a lock.

FeralFelidae

MI Miner Maniac
Sep 1, 2003
I didn't realize how solid their resume was (I wasn't really paying attention during the nonconference and only knew about their late-season loss to Houston).

But they beat SEC champs Alabama ON THE ROAD. (Alabama currently projected as a 2-seed by Palm and Joe Lunatic.)
They also beat bubble team Memphis.

Those two wins alone give them a better nonconference resume than some of those top-10 Big Ten teams with the same record. For the NCAA Committee that claims to put a premium on quality wins when choosing the field, let's see if they put their money where their mouth is.

They won their division and have (at least) made the finals of the conference tournament. If they lose in the finals and are left out of the field, it would be an absolute travesty.

Let me start by saying, I would take a team like WKU over any .500 or lower conference record team from a Power conference.

However, “deserves” is a strong word. WKU played 9 of their 14 conference games at home. Of which they lost to ODU and LaTech at home and on the road to Charlotte. They also got absolutely killed by Houston. Do wins versus Memphis and Bama negate bad losses to Charlotte, LaTech, ODU, and Houston???

Reactions: FedupMiner
Let me start by saying, I would take a team like WKU over any .500 or lower conference record team from a Power conference.

However, “deserves” is a strong word. WKU played 9 of their 14 conference games at home. Of which they lost to ODU and LaTech at home and on the road to Charlotte. They also got absolutely killed by Houston. Do wins versus Memphis and Bama negate bad losses to Charlotte, LaTech, ODU, and Houston???
Houston and LaTech aren't "bad" losses for the purpose of the selection committee. Margin of victory isn't one of the factors they claim to look at. It's indirectly reflected in a team's NET, I believe, but they supposedly don't choose teams based on their own NET; they use the NET to determine the quality of the teams they beat.

Reactions: Minerinciter
Drake or WKU? WKU since Drake only has one win against a power conference school in Kansas State and KSU that was game one of the season but Drake did have a great year.

They have a very low power ranking. They have some good wins, but I guess it's not enough to offset the kisses in a weak conference. So unfortunately NIT bound

Reactions: axingfools1
Oregon State and Georgetown's wins will ensure WKU is left out. Even if those schools hadn't stole bids I don't think WKU would have got in.

Reactions: kickballpro
Does WKU get in?
Normal season no. Covid year they might slide in. They had a real shit a couple of weeks ago, but I think they blew it at the end of the season.

I couldn't believe they came back yesterday after being down 17-0 to start the game. They were up 6 in the last few minutes and then let UNT tie the game and win in overtime. Sucks for them.

Last edited:
They would rather put in Duke than Western Kentucky. Just like what was said, Oregon State and Georgetown assures they will not get in. They are going to put 5 overrated Pac 12 schools in. They will shaft the Mountain West who deserves at least 3, and they will most likely only get 2 in.

I am surprised we have not heard from the idiot from North Texas rubbing it in.

They would rather put in every Big 10 school because none have won a championship in over 21 years. That is pretty pathetic for a conference that gets so many schools in every single year. Sounds like the Dallas Cowboys.

I would have to see which bubble teams go ahead of them but a 4-4 record vs q1 and q2 teams won't guarantee a bid for too many teams.

Georgetown and Oregon State really mucked things up. I can't see Utah State in. Every big marquee chance they had and that was only two, three if consider UNI but UNI was not a good mid major this year, they lost. If the committee wants to save face, they better not put in Utah State.

Drake will feel that High Plains winter chill as well.

Georgetown and Oregon State really mucked things up. I can't see Utah State in. Every big marquee chance they had and that was only two, three if consider UNI but UNI was not a good mid major this year, they lost. If the committee wants to save face, they better not put in Utah State.

Drake and Utah St both in. Hilarious!

I'm glad Drake got in. Wouldn't happen in normal pre covid circumstances.

It is now not just glaring but spot light bright that CUSA is just nothing more than an organized late night park league you see on the east coast (hell, they probably respect them more). Wow! WKU is not a play-in, nor even a back up four team if one can't play due to covid.

It is now not just glaring but spot light bright that CUSA is just nothing more than an organized late night park league you see on the east coast (hell, they probably respect them more). Wow! WKU is not a play-in, nor even a back up four team if one can't play due to covid.

They weren’t getting in over, say, Michigan State.

How in the hell does BYU get a 6th seed? IMO, they should have been a bubble team.
During the ESPN their crew was all asking the same thing. They said they deserved to be in but the seed is high.

Now I have seen BYU two to three times and they can hang and beat anyone and I say that as I hurl in my mouth. Their offense is constantly in motion, they attack ferociously and they efficient and good with the ball. Don't be surprised if they justify their seed.

Reactions: Rocketsr
During the ESPN their crew was all asking the same thing. They said they deserved to be in but the seed is high.

Now I have seen BYU two to three times and they can hang and beat anyone and I say that as I hurl in my mouth. Their offense is constantly in motion, they attack ferociously and they efficient and good with the ball. Don't be surprised if they justify their seed.

Might have something to do with their no playing on Sundays and the way the seed the bracket, and needing to avoid same conference matchups early in the tournament.

They have already stated, they will need to switch up days and times if BYU makes the Sweet 16.

Could be the reason they were seeded where they were.

WKU fans calling for Stan's job. Saying that if he can't make the ncaa with this talent then he never will. Lol. Sounds very familiar. We would all trade recent results with them.

Did you miss the 2 wins Utah State had against SDSU? SDSU only lost 4 games the whole year. One other was to BYU. Utah State is head and shoulders better than the crappy teams like Michigan State and Rutgers. Mountain West was tough this year with 4 top heavy teams. If anything Colorado State deserved to be in as well.

As for people complaining about BYU, they had only 6 losses all year and 3 were to the best team in the nation in Gonzaga. One was to USC, and they beat a tough SDSU team. They should be seeded higher than any overrated Pac 12 school. Anyone that has seen them play knows they deserve their seeding. I want to see how the other teams deal with their 7ft 3 in center.

Last edited:
Did you miss the 2 wins Utah State had against SDSU? SDSU only lost 4 games the whole year. One other was to BYU. Utah State is head and shoulders better than the crappy teams like Michigan State and Rutgers. Mountain West was tough this year with 4 top heavy teams. If anything Colorado State deserved to be in as well.

As for people complaining about BYU, they had only 6 losses all year and 3 were to the best team in the nation in Gonzaga. One was to USC, and they beat a tough SDSU team. They should be seeded higher than any overrated Pac 12 school. Anyone that has seen them play knows they deserve their seeding. I want to see how the other teams deal with their 7ft 3 in center.
Ok, I stand corrected.

However, WKU beat a good a good St. Mary's team tonight.

I read the local WKU papers and the fans and media are over reacting. They did have some ugly losses to lesser CUSA foes but don't go "full USM" like they do in football. He's their man, stick with him.

Ok, I stand corrected.

However, WKU beat a good a good St. Mary's team tonight.

I read the local WKU papers and the fans and media are over reacting. They did have some ugly losses to lesser CUSA foes but don't go "full USM" like they do in football. He's their man, stick with him.
St. Marys dominated us at the rim. Inside and driving. Another kink in Terry's armor that needs fixing.

St. Mary's is a solid team. They did lose to SDSU by 30 but that shows you how good SDSU can really be when they are on all cylinders. SDSU may be the darkhorse as I believe UTEP2Step said earlier. They have the favorable draw if they get by Syracuse because West Virginia is a great matchup for them.

I originally did not like SDSU because of their lack of scoring, but defensively they can matchup with those teams. They got a great draw. Houston may pose them some issues because of the scoring.

Reactions: axingfools1
St. Mary's is a solid team. They did lose to SDSU by 30 but that shows you how good SDSU can really be when they are on all cylinders. SDSU may be the darkhorse as I believe UTEP2Step said earlier. They have the favorable draw if they get by Syracuse because West Virginia is a great matchup for them.

I originally did not like SDSU because of their lack of scoring, but defensively they can matchup with those teams. They got a great draw. Houston may pose them some issues because of the scoring.
I think the potential SDSU and WVU matchup could be a really a good defensive game too. I have WVU by a hair

Reactions: MineroFanatico
I think the matchup is good for SDSU as WVU is not a big scoring team. Who else do you like? I asked you in Lunardi's bracket posts as well.

CUSA will have a team in the NIT Final Four. Western Kentucky plays La Tech to decide which one.

UTEP has never won more than 1 game in their 10 NIT appearances and has only 1 win away from home - 1980 NIT at Wichita St.

All Terry's fault. He should have made the NIT Final 4 by now.
That is exactly right. Now what they want to do is lower the bar so you will just settle for an NIT berth and call it a successful season. Our expectations need to remain an NCAA berth. There is no reason that has not materialized.

Reactions: FarWestTexas
That is exactly right. Now what they want to do is lower the bar so you will just settle for an NIT berth and call it a successful season. Our expectations need to remain an NCAA berth. There is no reason that has not materialized.
An NIT birth is a successful season. It means we're either conference champs or snubbed. Very similar season to what WKU had.

Yeah. 2 out the last 3 NIT's a CUSA team makes the semifinals.
When CUSA keeps winning opening-round games (with the worse seed winning) in the NCAAs and places teams in the NIT semis, that screams to me that CUSA is being underrated. The top 4 teams in CUSA are quite strong and teams like Western Kentucky deserved an NCAA invite.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT