ADVERTISEMENT

Western Kentucky DESERVES to be a lock.

When CUSA keeps winning opening-round games (with the worse seed winning) in the NCAAs and places teams in the NIT semis, that screams to me that CUSA is being underrated. The top 4 teams in CUSA are quite strong and teams like Western Kentucky deserved an NCAA invite.
ODU made an NIT Final 4 run a few years ago too.

All Terry's fault. He should have made the NIT Final 4 by now.

Nobody is saying that.

Two coaches that were considered “sucky” Rabedeuax and Sadler, both made the NIT in their second seasons. Of course while playing against better conference competition.

Maybe in season 4 Terry can get us there. Don’t hold your breath.

Reactions: Hot For Keitha
Nobody is saying that.

Two coaches that were considered “sucky” Rabedeuax and Sadler, both made the NIT in their second seasons. Of course while playing against better conference competition.

Maybe in season 4 Terry can get us there. Don’t hold your breath.
Even floyd made the NIT in year 1. Terry sucks.

Our bar has been lowered. What we think is successful never would have been considered as successful years ago. It is bad that our expectations are minimal. I am sorry, but I would like an NCAA berth once every few years. I know it is asking a lot, but if you do not expect it, what you get is what we have now.

Also, do you think it was fair to have Western Kentucky to play another CUSA team in La Tech and eliminate one of them before the final 4. Why could they not have put them in separate brackets instead of having to play in the second game?

Our bar has been lowered. What we think is successful never would have been considered as successful years ago. It is bad that our expectations are minimal. I am sorry, but I would like an NCAA berth once every few years. I know it is asking a lot, but if you do not expect it, what you get is what we have now.

Also, do you think it was fair to have Western Kentucky to play another CUSA team in La Tech and eliminate one of them before the final 4. Why could they not have put them in separate brackets instead of having to play in the second game?
Yep that is a little weird. I guess they don't want the same conference on opposite sides of the bracket.

Who wins between Oregon and USC?

Yep that is a little weird. I guess they don't want the same conference on opposite sides of the bracket.

Who wins between Oregon and USC?
That game is basically a pick em. I think they only played once this year and USC won handily. I had both in my brackets playing each other, and USC winning. I have to go with USC. Would be interesting if it is Oregon though because Gonzaga and Oregon will be an extremely high scoring game

Reactions: axingfools1
The NIT probably didn't expect them both to upset the higher-seeded opponents in the first round.

Ridiculous that both of those teams were seeded in the lower half of the tournament. Western Kentucky wasn't even one of the "last 8 out."

Reactions: Rocketsr
UTEP lost the regular season title and the conference tourny title by a hair in Floyd's first season and then they were a 5 seed in the NIT.

UTEP lost the regular season title and the conference tourny title by a hair in Floyd's first season and then they were a 5 seed in the NIT.
So, did Floyd do well with the previous recruits from Barbee? That would seem like it.

Yes. It was by far his best chance for the NCAA tourney. Never came close after that.
Very true, and I say that with heavy regret. Just because Floyd flamed out at UTEP doesn't mean he wasn't a very good X's and O's coach because in my opinion he was.

Barbee took the high school approach and with the addition of Caracter, delivered a title.

Corona, not arguing genuinely asking, are you a Terry fan? It seems like it and I can't possibly understand how anyone could defend the job he's done so far.
He's our coach and I'm going to support and hope he improves the results. Like I've said in the past, my view of UTEP is completely different from alot of you guys. In my 20+ years as a fan I've seen maybe 2 really good teams. Gillespie's second year and Barbee's fourth year. One WAC regular season title, one WAC tournament title and one CUSA regular season title. Thats the only championships I've seen and the last one was over a decade ago.

I will say that in my time as a fan this is probably our worst hire. If a .500 top 150 team is as bad as it gets then there really isn't much to complain about.

He's our coach and I'm going to support and hope he improves the results. Like I've said in the past, my view of UTEP is completely different from alot of you guys. In my 20+ years as a fan I've seen maybe 2 really good teams. Gillespie's second year and Barbee's fourth year. One WAC regular season title, one WAC tournament title and one CUSA regular season title. Thats the only championships I've seen and the last one was over a decade ago.

I will say that in my time as a fan this is probably our worst hire. If a .500 top 150 team is as bad as it gets then there really isn't much to complain about.

Corona,

It is impressive that you are such a passionate fan despite not having lived through some of the glory years that old guys on the board like me have experienced. Those years that you mentioned, Gillespie's second year and Barbee's fourth (you forgot Sadler's first year, and his second - an NIT bid - wasn't bad either), stand as reminders that with the right hire UTEP Basketball can be successful. The problem that most of us have on here is that we just don't see that success happening with Terry as the coach. We believe that it is better to fire him now and hire someone new rather than wait for for success under Terry that we don't think will come.

Personally, I don't think that I'm an impatient man, but then again I might be biased! :) It's not the fact that we aren't contending for a conference title by year three that has me upset, it's that I don't see any improvement from year to year. As others have noted, Barbee's teams improved each year, until they finally won a regular season conference title and earned an at large NCAA Tournament bid. Sure, Terry's second and third teams are better than his first, but his second team got worse instead of better as the year progressed, and this team was no better than that team. Also, while Fili's assertion that Terry is a better recruiter than Barbee is beyond ridiculous, Terry's talent is still way better than the results that we've been seeing on the court. The games against UA, ASU, and Kansas do prove that this team has no business only scoring 33 against UNT and 51 against UAB.

If I saw any ray of hope that the Miners are on the right path with Terry then I would be in favor of giving him more of a chance to prove himself. I just don't see it. I think that it's better to start fresh with a new coach, rather than waste more time with this one.

Corona,

It is impressive that you are such a passionate fan despite not having lived through some of the glory years that old guys on the board like me have experienced. Those years that you mentioned, Gillespie's second year and Barbee's fourth (you forgot Sadler's first year, and his second - an NIT bid - wasn't bad either), stand as reminders that with the right hire UTEP Basketball can be successful. The problem that most of us have on here is that we just don't see that success happening with Terry as the coach. We believe that it is better to fire him now and hire someone new rather than wait for for success under Terry that we don't think will come.

Personally, I don't think that I'm an impatient man, but then again I might be biased! :) It's not the fact that we aren't contending for a conference title by year three that has me upset, it's that I don't see any improvement from year to year. As others have noted, Barbee's teams improved each year, until they finally won a regular season conference title and earned an at large NCAA Tournament bid. Sure, Terry's second and third teams are better than his first, but his second team got worse instead of better as the year progressed, and this team was no better than that team. Also, while Fili's assertion that Terry is a better recruiter than Barbee is beyond ridiculous, Terry's talent is still way better than the results that we've been seeing on the court. The games against UA, ASU, and Kansas do prove that this team has no business only scoring 33 against UNT and 51 against UAB.

If I saw any ray of hope that the Miners are on the right path with Terry then I would be in favor of giving him more of a chance to prove himself. I just don't see it. I think that it's better to start fresh with a new coach, rather than waste more time with this one.

Let me make one thing clear: I would be ecstatic to eat crow. Since we know Terry going to be here next year, I would love nothing more then to see next year's team defend as if their hair were on fire (that one's for you TD), score at will, rebound both their offensive and defensive glass, limit turnovers, hit their free throws, and win. If that happens I will be happy to come on here, say my mea culpas, and publicly apologize to Coach Terry. I don't see that happening, but I hope it does.

Last edited:
I agree at this point it doesn't look like Terry will turn it around. It also looks like we're not going to pay the 2.1 million for him not to coach here. Might as well use our energy for something realistic.

His teams at Fresno didn't look too promising in the beginning either. Then he got the Hispanic transfer guard from Oklahoma St and it lead to a nice run. He's going to keep recruiting transfers and I hope his next experiment is good enough to replicate some of the more successful seasons he had at Fresno.

I agree at this point it doesn't look like Terry will turn it around. It also looks like we're not going to pay the 2.1 million for him not to coach here. Might as well use our energy for something realistic.

His teams at Fresno didn't look too promising in the beginning either. Then he got the Hispanic transfer guard from Oklahoma St and it lead to a nice run. He's going to keep recruiting transfers and I hope his next experiment is good enough to replicate some of the more successful seasons he had at Fresno.
Better players will help, but I dont like his style of coaching. He sets his team up for too much inconsistency. It's not conducive to winning when it counts.

Better players will help, but I dont like his style of coaching. He sets his team up for too much inconsistency. It's not conducive to winning when it counts.
I wonder if it's cuz he changed his entire offense to revolve around BW? I think in year 1 we showed more potential than we have the last two years. I don't understand how he mopped the floor against one of Floyd's best teams and now we have this.

I wonder if it's cuz he changed his entire offense to revolve around BW? I think in year 1 we showed more potential than we have the last two years. I don't understand how he mopped the floor against one of Floyd's best teams and now we have this.
Yes interesting observation. I guess we will find out based on what BW decides.

Terry took over from Steve Cleveland, who had 1 NIT appearance in 6 years (his only winning season), finished with 4 straight losing seasons, and hadn’t been to the NCAA tournament since 2001. For all of Fresno’s alleged “success”, they only have 6 NCAA appearances all-time, with 1 of them being “vacated”.

Under Floyd, the Miners finished 2nd or 3rd twice each in CUSA. Even in Floyd’s last full season, he finished tied for 3rd. The Miners went to the NCAAs, 6 times in a row during the 80s. Fresno St is just not the basketball program that UTEP is, was, or could be. The expectations are different.

While you cling on to “we hired a .500 coach and that’s what we’re getting” stance; I can guarantee you Terry wasn’t hired to to be a .500 coach. Fresno is a shit program compared to UTEP.

I agree, better players will “help”, but probably not fix anything. We have better players from top to bottom than Abilene Christian for instance, but they are a way better “team”...and far better coached.

Terry took over from Steve Cleveland, who had 1 NIT appearance in 6 years (his only winning season), finished with 4 straight losing seasons, and hadn’t been to the NCAA tournament since 2001. For all of Fresno’s alleged “success”, they only have 6 NCAA appearances all-time, with 1 of them being “vacated”.

Under Floyd, the Miners finished 2nd or 3rd twice each in CUSA. Even in Floyd’s last full season, he finished tied for 3rd. The Miners went to the NCAAs, 6 times in a row during the 80s. Fresno St is just not the basketball program that UTEP is, was, or could be. The expectations are different.

While you cling on to “we hired a .500 coach and that’s what we’re getting” stance; I can guarantee you Terry wasn’t hired to to be a .500 coach. Fresno is a shit program compared to UTEP.
Nobody thinks he was hired to be a .500 coach. The reality, and it has been demonstrated with a couple teams up to this point, is that he IS a .500 coach.

Well in my time as a UTEP fan that shitty program from Fresno has had equal or better success than UTEP.

Well in my time as a UTEP fan that shitty program from Fresno has had equal or better success than UTEP.

No they haven’t. You said you were a fan since Billy. Miners have been 3 times. Fresno only once. Fresno last won a conference championship in 2003 while both of us were still in the WAC. Miners won a CUSA title 7 years later. So they haven’t been equal of better.

No they haven’t. You said you were a fan since Billy. Miners have been 3 times. Fresno only once. Fresno last won a conference championship in 2003 while both of us were still in the WAC. Miners won a CUSA title 7 years later. So they haven’t been equal of better.
I've been a fan for 22/23 years now. My first ever UTEP game was during the 2000 season but I started following them the year before in 1999.

Since 2000 Fresno has 3 NCAA appearances and four conference titles. Add in four NIT games.

UTEP has 3 NCAA appearances and 3 conference titles and 4 NIT games.

Tie breaker goes to Fresno for actually winning a game in the tournament.

Yes it was vacated so we can use the same criteria when talking about nmsu's last ncaa win. Oh wait you defended that vacated season.

Fresno only has 2 conference titles since 2000. They’ve never won the MWC

UTEP only has 1 conference title.

Who says I wouldn’t count Fresno’s win?

Fresno only has 2 conference titles since 2000. They’ve never won the MWC

UTEP only has 1 conference title.

Who says I wouldn’t count Fresno’s win?
There you have it. 1 conference title in 23 years and you wanna act like we're the Duke of cusa.

I counted conference tournaments as championships.

There you have it. 1 conference title in 23 years and you wanna act like we're the Duke of cusa.

I counted conference tournaments as championships.

By pay scale, facilities, and tradition, compared to the other schools in CUSA, we’re close to it. That’s okay, continue being content with a “.500 coach” while schools like UNT and LaTech have more success. Everything is fine and dandy.

By pay scale, facilities, and tradition, compared to the other schools in CUSA, we’re close to it. That’s okay, continue being content with a “.500 coach” while schools like UNT and LaTech have more success. Everything is fine and dandy.
You're the one that always says no one cares about the past. A shitty program like unt has more recent ncaa wins than we do. Keep on whining. Fans from real programs raise the money to fire and hire who they want.

You're the one that always says no one cares about the past. A shitty program like unt has more recent ncaa wins than we do. Keep on whining. Fans from real programs raise the money to fire and hire who they want.

It does not matter to recruits. They don’t care about 1966, the 80s, or 1992, but the fans who don’t want to see shitty results do.

It’s about expectations. UNT previously had no expectations, now they might. The longer UTEP goes without success, we will become like UNT and Fresno. Hope for a NCAA appearance once every 20 years and consider 20 wins a “great season”.

Last edited:
Reactions: JCorona
Yes. It was by far his best chance for the NCAA tourney. Never came close after that.
That year hurt! We let Memphis come back and Utep and Randy Culpepepper admitted he didn't care about the NIT game and I assume as much of the whole team. I believe if they win and go to NCAA Floyd's first year they make a small run. That is one of the most painful losses for me as a Miner Basketball Team!!!😒

That year hurt! We let Memphis come back and Utep and Randy Culpepepper admitted he didn't care about the NIT game and I assume as much of the whole team. I believe if they win and go to NCAA Floyd's first year they make a small run. That is one of the most painful losses for me as a Miner Basketball Team!!!😒
Same. The pain runs deep.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT