ADVERTISEMENT

What do you expect?

DBminer

All Star
Dec 15, 2018
Correct me if I am wrong but we play Texas tech this weekend ... what exactly are you all expecting? If we get blown out will this place meltdown? If we win will this place meltdown?

not sure what we will be able to take from the game.... I am hopeful it’s a very close game and our guys can hang with the athletes tech has

Correct me if I am wrong but we play Texas tech this weekend ... what exactly are you all expecting? If we get blown out will this place meltdown? If we win will this place meltdown?

not sure what we will be able to take from the game.... I am hopeful it’s a very close game and our guys can hang with the athletes tech has
I expect us to be competitive and win. At least we should make it close or all the hype was too much. A win would be huge in light of our recent history in basketball and football.

Last edited:
First game with a retooled roster vs the national runner up? People shouldn’t look at the scoreboard. Do the transfers look good? Does Efe look improved down low, especially after losing all that weight? That’s what I’ll be looking at, because the only thing that matters is how this team looks come conference tourney time.

In 2003, (Gillispie's second season) coming off a 6 win season, the Miners went out and beat the Harlem Globetrotters. This exhibition could have the same effect that win had.

In the exhibition games preceding the 2003–04 season, Gillispie's UTEP Miners defeated the Harlem Globetrotters 89–88, after the Globetrotters had already defeated many college teams including the then-defending national champion, Syracuse Orange. It was the first defeat the Harlem Globetrotters had suffered in 289 games.

Although the Miners were predicted to finish ninth in the Western Athletic Conference (WAC) for the 2003–04 season, UTEP instead captured their first conference title in 12 years. The team finished 24–8 and received a bid to the 2004 NCAA Tournament. The 18-win improvement was the best in Division I basketball that season, and one of the best in Division I history. As a result of their success, the Miners built a huge home following, ranking first in the NCAA in increased attendance. After his second season with the Miners, Gillispie was named Texas coach of the Year by the TABC and was a finalist for National Coach of the Year honors.

In all reality, its early in the preseason for both teams and aside from possibly UW, Tech will be one of the most talented teams we will see this year. I'm hoping to get a glimpse of what we might expect throughout the year. I hope we can have a great crowd and win the game, but I'm really more interested in how the team looks and what we might expect when the games count.

Now like 8106 said I want to see how a "skinny" Efe fairs down low and if he has improved athleticism. Can he dunk? I also want to see what role Edward's will play and how his defense and 3-point shot looks. I want to see how tough Williams and Tarke are in miner colors. I want to see Eze do the dream shake and flex on sombody. I want to see Verhoeven swat a shot and create a break away between the legs dunk for Stroud. I want to see Boum score 15 off the bench and hit all of his free throws. I want to see what the heck Vila and Archie are all about. I want to see a more consistent Hawkins. Most importantly I want to see Lathon take over this team and give us hope for March. Is that too much to ask?

Not really related to expectations, but I figured I would post a couple of questions here. I was looking for online viewing options for the game, but I did not find anything for us out of towners. Any options that any one is aware of? Also, I checked CUSA Tv, but I didn't see any Football or Basketball listed. Does UTEP no longer stream via CUSA Tv?

In all reality, its early in the preseason for both teams and aside from possibly UW, Tech will be one of the most talented teams we will see this year. I'm hoping to get a glimpse of what we might expect throughout the year. I hope we can have a great crowd and win the game, but I'm really more interested in how the team looks and what we might expect when the games count.

Now like 8106 said I want to see how a "skinny" Efe fairs down low and if he has improved athleticism. Can he dunk? I also want to see what role Edward's will play and how his defense and 3-point shot looks. I want to see how tough Williams and Tarke are in miner colors. I want to see Eze do the dream shake and flex on sombody. I want to see Verhoeven swat a shot and create a break away between the legs dunk for Stroud. I want to see Boum score 15 off the bench and hit all of his free throws. I want to see what the heck Vila and Archie are all about. I want to see a more consistent Hawkins. Most importantly I want to see Lathon take over this team and give us hope for March. Is that too much to ask?
Wow!!! Ax - great detailed post agree 100% with all of your points.

Historical record. Billy knew how high the bar was as mentioned above and he delivered.

Now this is a UTEP roster with over achieving talent not seen since the late eighties, early nineties when a UTEP squad had warriors on the roster and beat the likes of Georgetown, LSU and Kansas. Hardaway, Davis, Foster, Melvin, then next year Rivera, Prince, Hall, McCall, Gym Bice (RIP) (all overlapped those years); all gelled nicely and were buddies off the court. They were always seen together. That. Is. Chemistry. A head coach can't buy that, it comes naturally or it doesn't. If these guys gel together starting next week, this could be a season where we have to pinch ourselves (and Floyd cusses under breath when watching on TV) or if they don't, then it will be like the UTEP of the late 70's led by Roshern Amie: Plenty of talent, under achieving. Haskins did turn around the program three years later to make UTEP a 80's top 50 program.

roshern-amie.jpg

Amie; UTEP 1977-'81

Last edited:

I will not melt down if the reigning NCAA runner-up blows us out.

Certainly not expecting a win. Seeing some of the strengths we’ve all heard about materialize on the court would be nice. Seeing unselfish, team basketball would be a welcomed change. Strong rebounding. Evidence of a team identity emerging. And some good ole fashioned Charlie Hustle are what I’m hoping for.

While this is a new season with a new group, most of these guys have been practicing together for nearly 2yrs. The chemistry should be mostly there. It's of course different when you're playing actual games, but I expect to see a fairly polished team that's ready to compete from day one.

Almost all our guys have D1 experience, and they should have a good feel of playing with each other at this point, so let's whoop that Tech ass this weekend

I wonder how Terry will treat this exhibition, will he experiment like Floyd did when he played exhibitions or will he treat it like a real game? UTEP will be airing this exhibition on the radio, has that ever been done for an exhibition game? I don't ever remember that happening.

Honestly from what I know and hear... Texas tech coach does not like to lose at all... I think he will treat as a game and then exhibition if it becomes a blow out

Ok so season not far away

who ends up being our leading scorers
Rebounder
Assist
3 pt shooting %
Shot blocker ?

overall win total
What conference place

Not really related to expectations, but I figured I would post a couple of questions here. I was looking for online viewing options for the game, but I did not find anything for us out of towners. Any options that any one is aware of? Also, I checked CUSA Tv, but I didn't see any Football or Basketball listed. Does UTEP no longer stream via CUSA Tv?

Almost all content is on ESPN+. I saw that the UTEP vs MTSU soccer game was there yesterday. As far as this game being televised, don’t hold your breath. UTEP doesn’t care about its fans or trying to get more of them

Reactions: shyminer81
Ok so season not far away

who ends up being our leading scorers
Rebounder
Assist
3 pt shooting %
Shot blocker ?

overall win total
What conference place

Rebounder: Williams
Assist: Lathon
3 pt %: Edwards
Shot Blocker: Verhoeven

I think honestly my question is really hard to answer because it will depend on playing time and it seems that is up for grabs right now...

Reactions: picks up
Certainly not expecting a win. Seeing some of the strengths we’ve all heard about materialize on the court would be nice. Seeing unselfish, team basketball would be a welcomed change. Strong rebounding. Evidence of a team identity emerging. And some good ole fashioned Charlie Hustle are what I’m hoping for.
The main reasons I expect a win are 1) Our guys for the most part have played and practiced together since last year...they know each other's talents, tendencies, etc. 2) We have extraordinary depth, whereby subs are maybe as valuable as the starters.
Hopefully we are surprised by a point guard and quality perimeter shooters. On paper we've got everything else. Maybe defense is a ?, but I'm not concerned.
Don't think I've ever anticipated the start of season as much as this one. Be nice to fill The Don again.
Go Miners.

Almost all content is on ESPN+. I saw that the UTEP vs MTSU soccer game was there yesterday. As far as this game being televised, don’t hold your breath. UTEP doesn’t care about its fans or trying to get more of them
Agree. I was hoping to catch the exhibition on CUSA TV/Miner TV. In the past, they would stream the local games there, but that looks to be gone now as well.

Tech is going to win by at least 15 points and it won't mean we are going to have a bad season. Beard has tuned TT into a BB powerhouse and they are just flat out a much better team than us, even with all of our transfers. This game is going to show Terry all the things we need to improve on, so he can try and fix them before the season starts. We will be a competitive team this year but we this team is built for 2020.

Expect it to be competitive. It's still early before the actual season starts though. I'd say keeping g in single digits would be nice, a win would be really interesting!

Reactions: axingfools1
I expect us to lose by 20 and that’s not a bad sign.

TT was beating the likes of Kansas and other ncaa tournament teams by 20+ last season.

I expect us to lose by 20 and that’s not a bad sign.

TT was beating the likes of Kansas and other ncaa tournament teams by 20+ last season.
Tech lost half of their team and most of their production. They reloaded well though. I think we can match up, especially down low where we should actually have an advantage (Williams and Holyfield will be a good matchup). Clarke and Ramsey is likely where we could get burned.

I think teicher said it's going to have audio... Which I am ok with for this game. UTEP could have easily sold this game as a 1 and done video game for $10 bucks, out of towners could have purchased (like me) and probably some Tech fans too... Which could have brought in more money... Just sayin.

Tech lost half of their team and most of their production. They reloaded well though. I think we can match up, especially down low where we should actually have an advantage (Williams and Holyfield will be a good matchup). Clarke and Ramsey is likely where we could get burned.
In my opinion I think we’re too green and too early in the Terry rebuild to realistically believe we can win this game. As talented as our transfers might be it doesn’t overcome the cohesion and culture Beard has developed over the last four years at TT.

This might be a bad example but I think back to Barbee’s NCAA team. A very talented team that went through all the growing pains together. We couldn’t get over the hump and beat a ranked ooc opponent that season.

The timing is off and I don’t think we’re on the same level yet. Beard’s reign at TT is peaking while Terry’s is bearly begging.

If UTEP keeps it close, I don’t mind being wrong.

This is a weird thread. Started this morning. Saying we are playing TT but the football team has a bye and basketball hasn't started.

Am I in the twilight zone?

This is a weird thread. Started this morning. Saying we are playing TT but the football team has a bye and basketball hasn't started.

Am I in the twilight zone?
No worries Killer. The the Dimel Demise of UTEP football Version 35.2 I forgot as well.

Or are you doing something else....

source.gif

Reactions: TxRdKiller
Looks like I'm the only one thinking we can win.

There are a few of you that think we can win. I just don’t have any idea what we will look like, how we will mesh, how good our transfers really are, etc.

We will be playing the runners up to the national champions. We are playing one of the best coached teams in the country. I have no reference points from which to judge how good we will be or can be or whether we can hang with a team like Tech. All I have to go on right now is hope. I hope like hell we can hang and pull off the upset...even if it is only an exhibition.

There are a few of you that think we can win. I just don’t have any idea what we will look like, how we will mesh, how good our transfers really are, etc.

We will be playing the runners up to the national champions. We are playing one of the best coached teams in the country. I have no reference points from which to judge how good we will be or can be or whether we can hang with a team like Tech. All I have to go on right now is hope. I hope like hell we can hang and pull off the upset...even if it is only an exhibition.
Both squads are technically unknown. Tech is not the same Tech as last year but expect them to be really good, with new talent. We only have expectations based on what we've read and seen on videos, but that's what I'm hyped about.
God forbid another disaster. We're overdue!

Both squads are technically unknown. Tech is not the same Tech as last year but expect them to be really good, with new talent. We only have expectations based on what we've read and seen on videos, but that's what I'm hyped about.
God forbid another disaster. We're overdue!
Spot on. Based on prior performance from the transfers that's all we have to go by.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT