ADVERTISEMENT

What do you expect?

"UTEP basketball fans can now select five games from the full 2019-20 UTEP men’s basketball schedule and build out their own mini plans.
Basketball officials say the mini plans start at just $44, prices vary depending on which games fans pick. Fans can save over purchasing single game tickets by bundling their games of choice.

The Miners’ 2019-20 schedule includes non-conference matchups with archrivals NM State (Nov. 12) and New Mexico (Nov. 19). The Miners will host Southern Miss (Jan. 9), LA Tech (Jan. 11), UTSA (Jan. 15), Middle Tennessee (Jan. 30), UAB (Feb. 1), WKU (Feb. 13) and Marshall (Feb. 15), as well as two Bonus Play opponents, in Conference USA action.

The Miner men return three of their top four scorers from the 2018-19 squad in sophomore forward Efe Odigie (12.7 ppg/10.1 rpg), and sophomore guards Nigel Hawkins (12.6 ppg/4.5 rpg) and Jordan Lathon (10.9 ppg/5.0 rpg/2.7 apg).

UTEP also introduces a heralded recruiting class that features Division I transfers Kaden Archie (TCU), Souley Boum (San Francisco), Daryl Edwards (LSU), Anthony Tarke (NJIT), Tydus Verhoeven (Duquesne) and Bryson Williams (Fresno State), as well as junior college big man Eric Vila.

The mini plans are on sale now online, in person at the Athletics Season Ticket Office, located in the Brumbelow Building (201 Glory Road) or over the phone by calling (915) 747-6150."

https://elpasoheraldpost.com/utep-basketball-five-game-mini-plans-now-on-sale/

Eric Vila. The "under the radar" of CRT transfers. Euro ball (complete game) comes to the DHC. I didn't realize he can shoot from anywhere and not afraid to take it the hole.

I guess that explains why the cheapest seats to see an 8 win UTEP are $24. Those are behind the basket in the upper level. Anything on the sidelines start at $67. Don’t tell the cheap fan(s) on here though, they’ll have a heart attack.

$24 for Houston fans to see their team coming off a Sweet Sixteen and conference championship last year and round of 32 the year before isn’t bad. Or in El Paso, $18 to see an 8 win team that didn’t even qualify for their conference tournament. Considering cost of living and disproportionate incomes in both cities, about the same price.

One city gets to watch a proven team and another gets to see a maybe good team that increased their ticket price 125% for no reason. You may call them cheap fans, but I would call them obviously not dumb.

I would imagine we have about 5-6K core fans. It’ll take time to for the bandwagon fans to pile on. And even that will happen incrementally. We shouldn’t expect too much, too soon in the way of attendance. Hopefully by the end of the year, there won’t be any room left on the wagon.

I wonder if sales will hit 3500. Not a lot of tickets sold so far. It's only an exhibition

I think it'll be a disgrace if The Don doesn't have at least 8 or 9 k. Should be sold out. This is a chance to see what our heralded newbees can do against the cream of the crop. El Paso needs a kick in the ass!

Unfortunately there won't be anywhere close to 8000 barring a huge surge in sales

$24 for Houston fans to see their team coming off a Sweet Sixteen and conference championship last year and round of 32 the year before isn’t bad. Or in El Paso, $18 to see an 8 win team that didn’t even qualify for their conference tournament. Considering cost of living and disproportionate incomes in both cities, about the same price.

One city gets to watch a proven team and another gets to see a maybe good team that increased their ticket price 125% for no reason. You may call them cheap fans, but I would call them obviously not dumb.

Do you live in El Paso?

nzLb8qRYdrzEmHFv5

Shut up, chi

I haven't had a chance to buy my ticket for the game and will just buy it the day of. I think there will be around 4-5k at the game which will be more people than almost all CUSA schools will get for any regular season game. I also expect it to be a game within 10 points and one that UTEP could win.

Reactions: miner1liner
I haven't had a chance to buy my ticket for the game and will just buy it the day of. I think there will be around 4-5k at the game which will be more people than almost all CUSA schools will get for any regular season game. I also expect it to be a game within 10 points and one that UTEP could win.

So just because it’s better than c-USA that makes it ok to have a pathetic turn out?? Hey look at us we are the least pathetic

It's an exhibition in October for a team that won 5 games last year. Anything over 3k will be amazing. I dont know why people thought this exhibition game would be a huge draw.

I thought the general mood was that there's some hype around this team, although I don't know if that hype has really permeated the local EP community yet.

We've been in the dumps for a while now, though. Most of the "hardcore " fanbase has been elderly for many years. As others have said, there's likely 4k or 5k diehards left. UTEP will have to coax the bandwagoner's back with some quality wins.

When the overwhelming majority of your athletic programs continue to be mired in failure and mediocrity year after friggin year what should you expect? I purchased football season tickets for my family and I and I can't drag, or even bribe my wife and three kids with go with me to a UTEP football game this season . To them, and most El Pasoans, UTEP athletics is synonymous with losing and frustration and it's a source of embarrassment. Failure and UTEP athletics is all my family has ever known. It's going to take a few years of success to change that mentality.

Last edited:
I was thinking of making the trip but I'm not going to drive 100 miles to EP just to find out that they've sold the 3000 tickets and I can't get in even though there are 7000 empty seats.
I know Kappy rules but can anybody confirm this?

You can buy them now and guarantee you a seat. You might have to settle for some seat you don’t want, but you can buy tickets now and not have to worry about getting in. That’s how these things work

You can buy them now and guarantee you a seat. You might have to settle for some seat you don’t want, but you can buy tickets now and not have to worry about getting in. That’s how these things work
That's how thing work? It's general admission. You're not guaranteed a particular seat until your butt settles into one. Get there early and get the best seats.

That's how thing work? It's general admission. You're not guaranteed a particular seat until your butt settles into one. Get there early and get the best seats.

Yes. You were worried about showing up and there not being any seats available. Therefore, if you buy a ticket now, you will have a seat. Not sure what you’re worried about

I was thinking of making the trip but I'm not going to drive 100 miles to EP just to find out that they've sold the 3000 tickets and I can't get in even though there are 7000 empty seats.
I know Kappy rules but can anybody confirm this?
The tweet means that less than 3000 have been sold, not that they're limiting it to that number.

ACADEMIC SUCCESS AND SUCCESSFUL COLLEGE SPORTS ARE NOT MUTUALLY EXCLUSIVE!!!
Quit making excuses for Natalicio who didn't give a rip about her own athletic programs for nearly 30 years.
I realize they are not.

She didn't stop us leaving the WAC.

She committed to UTEP athletics publicly and met ever single demand he wanted.

She increase the budget, not substantially, but it increased. She allowed UTEP athletics to increase and open the check book to get that important recruit. As we witnessed, Kugler was all over the country, from Baltimore, Pennsylvania, Washington and Wisconsin. Most majors do not even have that much leverage within their budgets.

She approved Price. Love or hate him, he increased average attendance for a few years.

Her commitment was part of a catalyst that brought in capital improvements for athletics (read Fresno Bee story posted earlier today).

She made UTEP a Tier 1 university. This is no guarantee to a major conference, but if the MW comes calling.....again, it makes UTEP that much more attractive.

At a time when the Texas legislature would not approve the installation of a water fountain after the 08-09 financial crisis, she did some horse trading and UTEP was approved for capital improvements (which took forever to complete), more PhD programs and while the were Tier 1 on paper, convinced the state to approve it while for other geo-political battle with other universities who wanted the same demands.

Floyd and Kugler were a bust. Is she ultimately responsible for the mess they made? Yes. But everyone thought the skies reopened for UTEP when they were hired. I was one of them. As a poster on here said in another thread, UTEP got snake bitten.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT