ADVERTISEMENT

What does our offensive coordinator even do (especially during games)?

FeralFelidae

MI Miner Maniac
Sep 1, 2003
He doesn't call plays. What does he do?

We attempted 46 passes and only 21 runs (three of which were QB sacks) against NM. That's over 2:1 passes vs. runs, not good for a supposed "balanced" gameplan. Ideally, we want about as many passes as runs.

Yes, Hardison had what was probably the worst game of his career. But whose fault was it that we essentially abandoned the run for the entire game? I think Hardison's numbers are falling primarily because our opponents do not respect the run, so they can focus on shutting down the passing game. I remember one drive having 3rd and 2, then 4th and 2, both incomplete passes. If we were going to go for it on 4th down, why not try picking it up on the ground, at least once?

The play-calling is atrocious. Has Dimel ever said why he insists on calling plays? He's trying to do too much.

I think I've heard this this question last year? Unless I'm having dejavu again. 🧐🧐

There were 2 back to back run plays in the 1st half by Awatt that totalled 12 yards. Next 3 plays were incomplete passes.

I'm asking it again because it has never been answered.

I think it's worth asking again in light of recent games.
There are a bunch of head coaches that call plays on either side of the ball. Also, play calling isn't the issue when players are open. Execution is the issue.

There are a bunch of head coaches that call plays on either side of the ball. Also, play calling isn't the issue when players are open. Execution is the issue.
The one who comes to mind who did it a fair amount was Jason Garrett. Yeah...

Our receivers weren't SO OPEN that we should be chucking it through the air over twice as often as we run it.

The one who comes to mind who did it a fair amount was Jason Garrett. Yeah...

Our receivers weren't SO OPEN that we should be chucking it through the air over twice as often as we run it.
They were open often. He's not coming off his first read. It's like he doesn't understand his progression post snap. The play where he threw the pick 6 is a perfect example. When he saw the LB flow to the flat he should know to check for the back side window, instead he tries to force it into his primary read. That's not a play call issue. It's execution. Now we can all agree I would think, that execution issues are coaching issues.

Reactions: Lil_Train
They were open often. He's not coming off his first read. It's like he doesn't understand his progression post snap. The play where he threw the pick 6 is a perfect example. When he saw the LB flow to the flat he should know to check for the back side window, instead he tries to force it into his primary read. That's not a play call issue. It's execution. Now we can all agree I would think, that execution issues are coaching issues.
But why are we calling over twice as many passing plays as running plays?

Reactions: utep-piggy
But why are we calling over twice as many passing plays as running plays?
What difference does that make? There's many different ways to play this game. He prefers passing predominantly and others prefer running predominantly. In either situation, if the execution is not on point, the plays are not going to net the result. It's not like our opponents knew exactly what our passing plays were going to be and had everything covered up.

What difference does that make? There's many different ways to play this game. He prefers passing predominantly and others prefer running predominantly. In either situation, if the execution is not on point, the plays are not going to net the result. It's not like our opponents knew exactly what our passing plays were going to be and had everything covered up.
UNT dropped 8 into coverage for the entire second half because they did not respect the run. If we want to pass, a healthy dose of running will keep the defense honest and open things up for the passing game.

I did not get to watch the UNM game, so I didn't see what type of coverage they were in. But Awatt and Hankins each averaged 4.4 yards per carry, which is good. There needed to be more of that. If UNM was cheating on defense like UNT, then punish them with the run. And if they weren't, well, 4.4 yards is a good average from the running backs and they needed more carries. A balanced offense is more difficult to defend.

UNT dropped 8 into coverage for the entire second half because they did not respect the run. If we want to pass, a healthy dose of running will keep the defense honest and open things up for the passing game.

I did not get to watch the UNM game, so I didn't see what type of coverage they were in. But Awatt and Hankins each averaged 4.4 yards per carry, which is good. There needed to be more of that. If UNM was cheating on defense like UNT, then punish them with the run. And if they weren't, well, 4.4 yards is a good average from the running backs and they needed more carries. A balanced offense is more difficult to defend.
A well executed offense is more difficult to defend than a balanced one. Also, even with UNT dropping 8 into coverage, there were still guys open underneath. They were in cover 4 and were will to give up the curls and outs. Gavin was just unwilling to take it. Not sure why he stopped though. #3 was killing them with it.

A well executed offense is more difficult to defend than a balanced one. Also, even with UNT dropping 8 into coverage, there were still guys open underneath. They were in cover 4 and were will to give up the curls and outs. Gavin was just unwilling to take it. Not sure why he stopped though. #3 was killing them with it.
Okay, whatever, man.

There were 2 back to back run plays in the 1st half by Awatt that totalled 12 yards. Next 3 plays were incomplete passes.
Not only that, all 3 were low percentage passed, going for it all from beyond UNM's 30, rather than trying to get another first down. I get taking a shot at the end zone once in a while, but we go for the home run ball WAY too often.

We're you unhappy with the unbalanced offense again? 54 runs to 11 pass attempts.

We're you unhappy with the unbalanced offense again? 54 runs to 11 pass attempts.
Obviously not to this extreme, but it's probably closer to the balance we need - as opposed to 50 passes and 10 runs that we showed the first quarter of the season.

Reactions: UTEPfan1966
and win the line of scrimmage, which results in good things happening. Makes no difference to me the status of BSU football, you play to beat who you have on the given schedule. I bet the Miners wish they could've done to UNM (and UNT) what they did to BSU last night. That was delightful!
Last night's game plan was awesome. I don't have a clue why it changed, but am happy it did. We pushed them around like rag dolls. LOVED IT!

I have zero faith dimel can't replicate it.

Reactions: UTEPMiners8106
So execution is more important to you than balance?
If your opponent is susceptible to the run, then you run. And that opens up the play-action pass. Hardison was 10 of 11 with another long TD throw called back on a penalty. Now THOSE were some open receivers, and sure enough, Hardison hit them.

But against UNM, the passing wasn't working, but we just kept passing. You know what they say about the definition of insanity?

The thing about "balance" was that some successful runs would open up the passing game. We saw that against Boise.

If your opponent is susceptible to the run, then you run. And that opens up the play-action pass. Hardison was 10 of 11 with another long TD throw called back on a penalty. Now THOSE were some open receivers, and sure enough, Hardison hit them.

But against UNM, the passing wasn't working, but we just kept passing. You know what they say about the definition of insanity?

The thing about "balance" was that some successful runs would open up the passing game. We saw that against Boise.
It's always best IMO to have balance. Unless you're the Peyton Manning Denver Broncos. If you find a honey hole (Like the Miners did last night with the run) then you keep exploiting it.

FYI: Boise St. wasn't susceptible to giving up anything in the running game coming into last night's game.

It's always best IMO to have balance. Unless you're the Peyton Manning Denver Broncos. If you find a honey hole (Like the Miners did last night with the run) then you keep exploiting it.

FYI: Boise St. wasn't susceptible to giving up anything in the running game coming into last night's game.
But at the same time, I can’t imagine Boise’s run defense was any worse than UNM or UNT’s run defense. They’re all kind of in the same ballpark in terms of talent.

I'm asking it again because it has never been answered.

I think it's worth asking again in light of recent games.
Honestly only you would find fault with our performance. How about celebrating our great win instead of being critical

So you’re giving credit to Dimel. Nice

Honestly only you would find fault with our performance. How about celebrating our great win instead of being critical
Hey, buddy, why don't you take a look at when this thread was created. If you look in the game thread, I gave plenty of credit to Dimel for his victory over Boise. I'm definitely enjoying the win.

Reactions: minerfan_14
Hey, buddy, why don't you take a look at when this thread was created. If you look in the game thread, I gave plenty of credit to Dimel for his victory over Boise. I'm definitely enjoying the win.
Good ! I hope so!

By FAR the best play calling EVER during his time here. I believe we would have won even more convincingly if it weren't for a few penalties. (like the td pass)

Dimel and his staff did very well coaching in this game, no doubt. They put the players in a position to do well and they did. Again, we have enough talent. We need coaching.

My wife said "Did we change coaches?" lol

Reactions: MinerManiac
BTW....I think Hardison did a great job with the intermediate passes Friday. I know this has been a complaint on here, but he looked very good this game.

Reactions: MinerManiac
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT