ADVERTISEMENT

What Happens with this Roster/ Personnel Staff Going Forward?

Get2Paydirt

Four-star recruit
Sep 26, 2017
Sad to say, but already looking at UTEP Football post 2017 season. I would like to get opinions on what some of you guys think gets the program heading back into the right direction and the quickest. The situation is very troubling to me even being a Miner faithful out on the East Coast. We had so much momentum with what Mike Price helped build, not only roster-wise, but the overall appreciation of going out on Saturday night and enjoying a game. Win-or-lose you must admit Mike Price delivered an exciting product. We know the stands will be empty until we give them something to come to the stands to cheer about. Price had his run, and his time was his time, but I honestly look back and now wish we were in those positions down in a close game, or being in position to beat a Texas Tech and losing late. Those close ones actually meant something. By halftime people are ready to go home or turn off their radios.

I look back at what his staff did and in my opinion the quickest fix will be to obviously implement a spread offense. With that we need a gun slinging QB. The days of the 5'10'' or 6' QB that can barely see over the o-line are over. Price's staff went the Juco route for quite a bit of talent. That may have to quickly come into play. Until we can ever build any tradition of winning why would any sensible recruit come play at UTEP? Look at what Kiffin is attempting to do out in Florida, take chances on some guys that may or may not pan out, but were originally destined for the power schools. Do you guys think the JUCO route is going to have to come into play here?

Secondly, as most feel the coaching staff gets cleared out, is there anyone that thinks any part of the staff gets kept? Is the strength program even working? Would I be incorrect to say that even our upperclassmen look so physically over matched on many sides and key positions? When I mean this thing may have to be cleared out, it may literally have to be cleared out from the bottom.

Lastly, when a new coach comes in obviously they will work to build their type of roster, but for the time being the players they inherit, will be their players. You have scholarships involved. I would hope that a new system and staff in place would be able to make some changes at key positions and work with what they got. I feel terrible for the players. Honestly, the team just doesn't look put very well together. Over matched physically, mentally with the system in place, all across the board its awful. That locker room has to literally feel like walking into a funeral home each game and its sad that it has come to this.

A huge vent here guys on my part. Been focusing on the board in recent seasons, but have never written. With all the politics involved I pray and I hope that UTEP Football can get back to at least what we were 5 years ago. We went from a Top 25 ranking and talking about possibly bursting the bubble to this??? Money is the only thing that talks.....I understand why I turn on the tv and see empty stands. Imagine we could get a decent showing on the field, then we may have reason to wealthy boosters to reach deeeeeeep into their pockets. I would hope they get a chance to speak to the president of the university and soon, because why would they donate a single cent going forward? I mean hell how did we even afford new helmets? Rant done.......

Reactions: DAYDEV
Was also wondering has anyone heard Kugler say one sensible reason as to why this team is getting its ass kicked on weekly basis? Are we blaming this on injuries? Coaching? Missed tackles? Are we undersized? Or can he just come out and say this team flat out stinks....I think we know what the truth is, but unless money stops coming in who is going to make anyone accountable?

We can't pass the ball. Simple as that. Our receivers can't catch and our quarterbacks can't throw. If we can cram the ball down Oklahoma's mouth on the first series of the year, you know we can run but it they stack an 8 man box, we're done because we can't keep them honest.

Sounds like loading up on juco receivers may need to be the answer short term all over again. They need to start competing again before any decent recruit will even consider this school. Back when I was in El Paso, The previous staff always had athletes at the receiver position. Towering bodies!!! Tight ends! Sounds like this team was built to play in the trenches and maybe the athletes just arent here. I hope they are here, but maybe they just aren't. This has to be considered when hiring a new coach by the new AD. Make throwing the ball the priority! I'm sure everyone has the same feeling. It may need to get real ugly before it gets better. And this is nothing yet. Winning zero games would be reeaaaal ugly.

I think a lot of the young guys could leave but we will see. It will take a couple of years at least. Personally, I don't think all the players are bad (even some of the local guys). I just think they are not being utilized well, especially on offense. The whole staff will be purged IMO. I would like to see Fernandez the QB.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT