ADVERTISEMENT

What I hate about the NCAA tournament

Minerforlife

MI Hall of Famer
Sep 11, 2013
Year after my biggest complaint with the NCAA is playing basketball games in football stadiums. I understand the money aspect. However the cavernous stadiums serious hurt the players depth perception. I don't how many clunkers of games we've seen through the years played in football stadiums. It's time to move the games back to arenas. The quality will be much better. Last nights Michigan UCLA game was a prime example. The kids didn't all of the sudden forget how to shoot. It's the depth perception. The biggest games of the season shouldn't be played in football stadiums.

Year after my biggest complaint with the NCAA is playing basketball games in football stadiums. I understand the money aspect. However the cavernous stadiums serious hurt the players depth perception. I don't how many clunkers of games we've seen through the years played in football stadiums. It's time to move the games back to arenas. The quality will be much better. Last nights Michigan UCLA game was a prime example. The kids didn't all of the sudden forget how to shoot. It's the depth perception. The biggest games of the season shouldn't be played in football stadiums.

What proof do you have that the teams would have shot better had the game been played at Hinkle? Virginia scored 63 and 85 at the Vikings stadium 2 years ago and they’re not known to play like Paul Westhead.

Money will dictate that they will probably push towards playing at bigger stadiums.

I've always felt the same way. I would hate shooting the ball in a stadium like that. Depth perception is a real detriment in that situation.

That's partly why home court advantage is real, even with no fans in the arena. You eyes/ brain adjust the way you perceive depth, based on the layout of everything behind, and to the sides of the basket

I've always felt the same way. I would hate shooting the ball in a stadium like that. Depth perception is a real detriment in that situation.

That's partly why home court advantage is real, even with no fans in the arena. You eyes/ brain adjust the way you perceive depth, based on the layout of everything behind, and to the sides of the basket
An organized ball player in my youth for many, many years I say with humility, players are trained to focus on shooting (if they have played for years), no matter the gym or stadium. Practice, practice, practice for years you're mind, eye and hand in order to develop a pattern and you can shoot in a cave or a large college venue.

Crowd size is a different animal.

I mean, I've played all my life, and I've definitely been thrown off by places with a large open area behind the basket. Having a solid background behind the rim has always allowed me to see it clearer, and get my bearings on distance.

But, I'm no professional, and never played at any kind of high level. I'm sure the better players adjust easier

It’s currently half-time of the 2nd game and 3 of the 4 teams tonight are shooting above their season average FG%. So far tonight, the FG% of the 4 teams is: 61%, 58%, 53%, and 38%. The large environment does not appear to be having any negative impact.

Reactions: Lil_Train
6a01310fbc48d2970c017d3cedf849970c-pi

Gonzaga shot 51% last night.

Baylor actually had a lower FG% last night(45%), but they still shot a very high 43.5% from 3.

The back drop did not appear to hurt either team's shooting.

Reactions: NoNCAAWinsSince1992
Have too agree, it makes little difference. Players adjust and didn't most of these guys spend hours shooting at and outside hoop in a park or backyard, even less depth perception outside?

Reactions: kickballpro
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT