ADVERTISEMENT

What If: Texas Western vs Duke in 1966

I wonder if Duke would have agreed to play us in 2016. We could have beat them like Stephen F. Austin did last year!

Love this photo:

640699428.jpg.0.jpg

Here’s some great insight from a gentleman who saw those tourney games:

Sorry I haven’t responded on whether Texas Western would have beaten Duke if they had played in 1966? Who knows? I saw all those games in person in that tournament from Cincinnati (OT); Kansas (double OT); Utah in the semifinal; Kentucky/Duke in their semifinal; and Texas Western/Kentucky (72-65). It was an incredible run of victories for the Miners and actually the tournament was really won at Lubbock in the Midwest Regional when TWC won in OT and double OT. They could have been out and never advanced past the regional. Duke and Kentucky had some well known players and great coaches in Bubas and Rupt. but so did Utah, Cincinnati and Kansas. I watched Kentucky/Duke with anticipation because we were going to play one of them the following night. Their game was a tight one like ours with Utah. If Jerry Armstrong doesn’t shut down Utah’s Chambers Haskins bunch is done and there is no discussion about if Duke would have beaten the Miners. This is just a reminder that to win that tournament takes a great effort and and some good fortune as well. I saw a replay of Ky/TWC the other night and I didn’t recall that the Miners just shot the eyes out at the free throw line. Kentucky made 6 more field goals than TWC but the Miners still win by 7. They were like 32 of 35 at the line. In answer to the what if question I for sure don’t know!

Here’s some great insight from a gentleman who saw those tourney games:

Sorry I haven’t responded on whether Texas Western would have beaten Duke if they had played in 1966? Who knows? I saw all those games in person in that tournament from Cincinnati (OT); Kansas (double OT); Utah in the semifinal; Kentucky/Duke in their semifinal; and Texas Western/Kentucky (72-65). It was an incredible run of victories for the Miners and actually the tournament was really won at Lubbock in the Midwest Regional when TWC won in OT and double OT. They could have been out and never advanced past the regional. Duke and Kentucky had some well known players and great coaches in Bubas and Rupt. but so did Utah, Cincinnati and Kansas. I watched Kentucky/Duke with anticipation because we were going to play one of them the following night. Their game was a tight one like ours with Utah. If Jerry Armstrong doesn’t shut down Utah’s Chambers Haskins bunch is done and there is no discussion about if Duke would have beaten the Miners. This is just a reminder that to win that tournament takes a great effort and and some good fortune as well. I saw a replay of Ky/TWC the other night and I didn’t recall that the Miners just shot the eyes out at the free throw line. Kentucky made 6 more field goals than TWC but the Miners still win by 7. They were like 32 of 35 at the line. In answer to the what if question I for sure don’t know!

How old were you when you saw those games?

More:

Duke was ranked No. 2. TWC No. 3. Like I was trying to say, anyone can win that tournament. Miners toughest games were in the Regional.

One parting shot.....I don’t say Duke might’ve won but they could’ve. Haskins had a great team!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT