ADVERTISEMENT

What is the current state of UTEP Athletics?

minermx07

MI Regular
Sep 6, 2009
I know everyone is feeling really frustrated and there's an urge to just be beligerent in your responses, but I genuinely want your take/analysis.

What is the state of UTEP Athletics? I know football is probably at it's lowest. Coach Terry seems to have the men's basketball team in the right track. Coach Baker has had a few tough years, but this year has started well.

As far as the other sports, how are they doing? Are we improving at least? Are you optimistic about the future? Maybe in all sports except for football?

I have been following UTEP Football for over 20 years and this is the lowest point.

I am cautiously optimistic about the men's basketball team. After Christmas I think we will get a better sense about the team.

The women's basketball team is starting off well. It would be nice if they do well again.

The athletic department is still awful. The promotions team is terrible and I'm not a fan of Senter.

I know everyone is feeling really frustrated and there's an urge to just be beligerent in your responses, but I genuinely want your take/analysis.

What is the state of UTEP Athletics? I know football is probably at it's lowest. Coach Terry seems to have the men's basketball team in the right track. Coach Baker has had a few tough years, but this year has started well.

As far as the other sports, how are they doing? Are we improving at least? Are you optimistic about the future? Maybe in all sports except for football?
Volleyball made the conference tournament since 2016. Women’s soccer missed by I think a game or two. Both had new coaches in their first year. Seems like every other sport outside of football is doing better than last year or the past few years.

Only football and men’s hoops matter. UTEP doesn’t get any visibility and increased enrollment with the other sports. Nobody cares about Volleyball and those other sports. Women’s basketball gets 100 people a game unless they’re winning or have some promotion with insanely cheap or free tickets.

At least the basketball team is off to a good start, but there’s 3 more months will meaningful games. A .500 record or barely 20 wins won’t get anyone excited.

Volleyball showed good improvement. Soccer did better. Men's Basketball already has almost as many wins as all of last season. Women's basketball is off to a good start as well. Cross-country sent 2 to the NCAA National Championships

Obviously, the football team is dragging down the entire department. Revenue, visibility, etc. are all in the toilet because of football. Men's basketball can deflect some of it, but at this point the men would have to have a monster season to do more than so much good. Women's basketball can generate positive buzz if they have a great season. When Keitha Adam's team made that second NIT run, an opposing team complained that our ticket prices were half what theirs were. The Athletic Department doubled the price to shut them up. NIT home court advantage for the women's games is based on attendance. The UTEP women's teams have had two NIT runs for a total of 10 games played at home to zero on the road. That's a positive thing, but only if the women have a great season. We'll have to see if Coach Baker can generate that kind of success. The rest of UTEP's sports just don't generate much attention. Go Miners.

I'm gonna say it, how it pains me, but I agree with auto boy, especially on the marketing part. I'm gonna use mountain star as an example. The locomotives and chihuahuas just ended their seasons and I'm already getting facebook adds for next season with brief videos and the seasons for those teams are still months away. They already have me intrigued. UTEP on the other hand, nada. They aren't even trying

I'm gonna say it, how it pains me, but I agree with auto boy, especially on the marketing part. I'm gonna use mountain star as an example. The locomotives and chihuahuas just ended their seasons and I'm already getting facebook adds for next season with brief videos and the seasons for those teams are still months away. They already have me intrigued. UTEP on the other hand, nada. They aren't even trying

They didn't even announce that a women's basketball was taking place tonight.

I have mentioned the Chihuahuas multiple times on here. They know how to get things done. I'm paying less than $700 for 70 tickets and each ticket come with $4 loaded value. I get a $2 refill cup, meet the team events, batting practice event, points to redeem for prizes for every games you attend, etc.

There is zero incentive to buy UTEP season tickets. I asked Senter last year when I pointed out that there is basically no difference in cost from buying season tickets vs. single tickets. He told me you don't have to wait in the long lines when you have season tickets. LOL

They didn't even announce that a women's basketball was taking place tonight.

I have mentioned the Chihuahuas multiple times on here. They know how to get things done. I'm paying less than $700 for 70 tickets and each ticket come with $4 loaded value. I get a $2 refill cup, meet the team events, batting practice event, points to redeem for prizes for every games you attend, etc.

There is zero incentive to buy UTEP season tickets. I asked Senter last year when I pointed out that there is basically no difference in cost from buying season tickets vs. single tickets. He told me you don't have to wait in the long lines when you have season tickets. LOL

I don’t always agree with Autoboy but when I do, I prefer to be ****ed up on Dos Equis.

There is an article at Utep athletics about volleyball. I was impressed to find out that Utep was #3 in attendance this year. Also, the new coach was not satisfied with the win total of 13 and a .500 record. He wanted and expected Atleast 3 more wins. Many on here have said many times that Utep and Utep fans settle for mediocrity but I find the attitude of Ben Wallis refreshing and especially in a sport that Utep has been a bottom feeder in for a while. Other than football, I am happy with the direction of Utep athletics thus far. Unfortunately, football is so high profile, the others hardly get noticed.

The Athletic Department goes as the football program goes. After today I hope Mr. Senter understands that a 4 year plan is just not reasonable.

The last 3 years UTEP has won 2 games. Between 2015-2017 UAB won 8 games, and 2 of those years the football program was eliminated. What the heck is wrong with this picture? Can somebody explain to me how it is easier to resurrect a football program that was eliminated for 2 years yet Dimel and company had 2 years to recruit 2 classes/coach 2 off seasons and you can’t win more than 1 game? This is absolute madness at this point.

Last edited:
Its awful but improving. HBU has a better athletic program than we do at the time. In the most recent Director’s Cup standings we’re not even good enough to be ranked dead last. The best programs in CUSA are RICE 122 and USM 121. So that tells us that even without a strong football team (RICE) or basketball (USM & RICE) you can still be competitive in all other sports and score highly in their metrics. Unfortunately for us non of our Olympic sports have been good enough.

I believe it was only a few years ago (15-16?) that we finished the Director’s Cup as the #1 team in CUSA.

The Athletic Department goes as the football program goes. After today I hope Mr. Senter understands that a 4 year plan is just not reasonable.

The last 3 years UTEP has won 2 games. Between 2015-2017 UAB won 8 games, and 2 of those years the football program was eliminated. What the heck is wrong with this picture? Can somebody explain to me how it is easier to resurrect a football program that was eliminated for 2 years yet Dimel and company had 2 years to recruit 2 classes/coach 2 off seasons and you can’t win more than 1 game? This is absolute madness at this point.
Check this out. Games won in the four years before the new HC hire and games won after the hire.

UNT 18 - 27 (4 years)
FAU 15 - 25 (3 years)
FIU 14 - 23 (3 years)
UAB 12 - 34 (4 years)

UTEP 16 - 2 (2 years)

That’s four programs within our conference that were in similar shape to UTEP. We’re the only ones on the six year plan. We’re the only ones that justify the coach by believing our talent is division 2 and we should be so appreciative and thankful someone is willing become a millionaire to babysit our program.

We need change.

Reactions: EMA884
Senter can't rehash Dimel's past and his move from KSU to UTEP.

He can remedy what he has been a perceived habitual problem that keeps him from being a successful HC. UTEP does bring in good recruits but why is UTEP failing on the field?

Since the Kugler era look at the rb's UTEP has brought in since AJ. Mid Majors would give a left arm for the quality rb's that have graced the Sun Bowl turf.

WR's? Total opposite. UTEP has not had a good WR since Leslie and he doesn't let UTEP forget that time to time on social media.

OL? Bit of politics on this one from Kugler to Dimel. Pass blocking did improve slightly.

LB's? UTEP has a legendary history of LB's. They don't sell it. OU sells Boz like a drug. UTEP needs to sell Joyner, Wortham, Rodriguez, Howard(R.I.P.) etc...

Secondary? See above.

D line? UTEP needs another "Pookie" Floyd. Edge rusher. Opponents and since now the RPO is gaining popularity, those that can beat a block like a chef can break an egg is needed. QB's get rid of the ball quicker in the RPO, Speed and core strength on the line (and not necessarily beef) are essential with the RPO.

Coaching? IMO, Dimel gave away his weakness: He stared "he is not a Rah! Rah!" coach a few weeks ago. He may need to be. He embraced social media. He may need to embrace a bottle of Nugenix for the sideline.

AD? Mike Price was great at one thing and that was embracing the city. He kissed babies and ate tamales like a seasoned politician. No need for that but put your face in business offices big to tiny. Mike Price had UTEP logos put on trash trucks all over the county. I see pick axe's on business landscaping on westside but that's it; it's just the westside!! There is another half of the city past the eastern slopes of the Franklin Mountains and older folks really don't like social media. Use billboards more.

Senter can't rehash Dimel's past and his move from KSU to UTEP.

He can remedy what he has been a perceived habitual problem that keeps him from being a successful HC. UTEP does bring in good recruits but why is UTEP failing on the field?

Since the Kugler era look at the rb's UTEP has brought in since AJ. Mid Majors would give a left arm for the quality rb's that have graced the Sun Bowl turf.

WR's? Total opposite. UTEP has not had a good WR since Leslie and he doesn't let UTEP forget that time to time on social media.

OL? Bit of politics on this one from Kugler to Dimel. Pass blocking did improve slightly.

LB's? UTEP has a legendary history of LB's. They don't sell it. OU sells Boz like a drug. UTEP needs to sell Joyner, Wortham, Rodriguez, Howard(R.I.P.) etc...

Secondary? See above.

D line? UTEP needs another "Pookie" Floyd. Edge rusher. Opponents and since now the RPO is gaining popularity, those that can beat a block like a chef can break an egg is needed. QB's get rid of the ball quicker in the RPO, Speed and core strength on the line (and not necessarily beef) are essential with the RPO.

Coaching? IMO, Dimel gave away his weakness: He stared "he is not a Rah! Rah!" coach a few weeks ago. He may need to be. He embraced social media. He may need to embrace a bottle of Nugenix for the sideline.

AD? Mike Price was great at one thing and that was embracing the city. He kissed babies and ate tamales like a seasoned politician. No need for that but put your face in business offices big to tiny. Mike Price had UTEP logos put on trash trucks all over the county. I see pick axe's on business landscaping on westside but that's it; it's just the westside!! There is another half of the city past the eastern slopes of the Franklin Mountains and older folks really don't like social media. Use billboards more.
“...older folks really don't like social media. Use billboards more.”
Billboards cost $$$ (no need to remind this program in general isn’t in the black).
Social media is free
As far as older folk, you also need to sell to a younger demographic to replace the older folk.

Reactions: UTEPMiners8106
Overall, I think Senter is doing a good job. You have to remember where it started from and evaluate from there. Most sports are getting better. Football? Not so much.....Does Dimel need to be fired? Ehh....I wouldn't be upset either way at this point.

On 2step and minerfan14's points, I will tell you this....there is no clear cut way to market anything. Yes, our older fans will see ads in the paper, on billboards, on benches, but the younger people see everything on social media. While we MUST target the younger crowd, just being active on social medial, regardless on how it's done, won't be enough. I don't have the answer, but I do know they are trying different things. (I am flying all over social media looking) Marketing is an inexact science. You have to throw a lot of stuff against the wall to see what sticks.
Having the DJ is NOT a draw to basketball games, IMHO....they can trash that.

Anywho, Senter will be here for a while. He is improving our overall program.....

Marketing is just not advertising, at the last men’s game there was nobody to sing the national anthem. There was no half time program at all. Even if you have a few youth dance teams come in that means there parents, grandparents, aunts and uncles will go to watch. Maybe only a hundred people but you are exposing these people to your program. Hopefully they return.
These programs bore the hell out of me, but you need to do anything to put butts in the seats.
At the Rice game again no half time program, and they ask the few thousand to stay for a 5th quarter band program, why not do this the first couple of games when the weather is nicer?
Give aways in El Paso are almost a must.
Most important WINNING!

Facility wise we are way behind. The LKD center is almost 20 years old. The Coaches offices and weight room are nice. But the meeting rooms are not up to standard neither are the locker rooms. Most schools now also have cafeterias for the athletes.

College Football has little to do with Coaching and Everything to do with recruiting. I think that's where money needs to be spent.

I know they're trying to improve the Sun Bowl. But it's looking a little Frankenstein. Starting with the Soccer Cut outs. The LKD doesn't touch the Stadium and then it will have this modern party patio parked on top of a relic. I do appreciate the effort.

Marketing is just not advertising, at the last men’s game there was nobody to sing the national anthem. There was no half time program at all. Even if you have a few youth dance teams come in that means there parents, grandparents, aunts and uncles will go to watch. Maybe only a hundred people but you are exposing these people to your program. Hopefully they return.
These programs bore the hell out of me, but you need to do anything to put butts in the seats.
At the Rice game again no half time program, and they ask the few thousand to stay for a 5th quarter band program, why not do this the first couple of games when the weather is nicer?
Give aways in El Paso are almost a must.
Most important WINNING!

Here's the problem: the national anthem singers and halftime performances are booked well in advance. With the game taking place the day before Thanksgiving it is more difficult to get commitments and you also get late cancellations.

Um, really?

Yup, do you think Ohio State blocks inside zone differently than UTEP? Do you think a coach that won the Pac 12 twice and have 3 ten win seasons would come to UTEP and have 7 straight losing seasons?

Look at the BCS teams and see if they do it without top 10 recruiting classes. Look at who is the worst team in CUSA and look who has had the worst recruiting classes in CUSA.

A bad decision by a coach my cost you a game but a last place recruiting class gets you double digit losses.

Reactions: Lil_Train
The overriding problem is UTEP keeps losing. Plain and simple. I know a lot of people in the general public would love more giveaways and I am not against any of it, but people don’t want to show up to watch UTEP consistently lose and lose bad. It’s just not fun. The culture within the football program and especially within the city is that UTEP football is garbage and at this point I don’t blame anyone, especially a hard working family for not wasting their hard earned money on these football games.

Yup, do you think Ohio State blocks inside zone differently than UTEP? Do you think a coach that won the Pac 12 twice and have 3 ten win seasons would come to UTEP and have 7 straight losing seasons?

Look at the BCS teams and see if they do it without top 10 recruiting classes. Look at who is the worst team in CUSA and look who has had the worst recruiting classes in CUSA.

A bad decision by a coach my cost you a game but a last place recruiting class gets you double digit losses.

In that case, UTEP should just hire a staff of nothing but recruiters and let the players do whatever the hell they want on the field. Winning!

We had one saying recruiting isn’t important and it all falls on coaching. We have you saying recruiting is everything and coaching isn’t all that important.

Perhaps the truth lies somewhere in between those two perspectives.

In that case, UTEP should just hire a staff of nothing but recruiters and let the players do whatever the hell they want on the field. Winning!
Utsa went that route. Got a ton of respectable recruits on the team. When I saw Dimel vs Wilson we didn’t see utsa with better athletes. We saw utsa outsmart and outcoach Dimel’s staff.

The talent excuses need to stop. Our talent is on par with the middle of CUSA west. Our coaches aren’t.

Reactions: Dmanminer
We had one saying recruiting isn’t important and it all falls on coaching. We have you saying recruiting is everything and coaching isn’t all that important.

Perhaps the truth lies somewhere in between those two perspectives.

Do you think Rodney Terry was incompetent last year and this year he know what hes doing?

And yes, if I were an AD I would scour the list of top assistant coaches who recruit nationally. Trust me, drawing plays is easy. And when you have talent, calling plays is easy.

Do you think Rodney Terry was incompetent last year and this year he know what hes doing?

And yes, if I were an AD I would scour the list of top assistant coaches who recruit nationally. Trust me, drawing plays is easy. And when you have talent, calling plays is easy.

I still think it’s a combination of both. I’ve seen first hand good coaching and shitty coaching and the difference between the two was enormous. Maybe you’re the same but there’s nothing anyone could say to convince me otherwise. Recruiting matters. Coaching matters.

I’ve said that recruiting rankings don’t matter, not that recruiting doesn’t matter. Just because UTEP has the #130 recruiting class, doesn’t mean all the players are trash. There will be no Alabama level recruits, but a lot of schools don’t get those and they still win.

Reactions: kickballpro
So its year 5. We have better talent. The offense is rolling because it works. We have a worthy QB who can run and pass. The defense is taking better angles, tackling better and getting to the opposing QB.

We are 5-5 or whatever and we are playing to get into a bowl game. We get a pre-snap penalty, a personal foul, a delay of game, our players are getting mixed signals and we lose. I understand that nobody is perfect and maybe our talent allows us to win despite our mistakes, but can we afford more mistakes with the season on the line? That's the whole point. We could have won 3-4 games this year even with lesser talent. BOTH aspects are important. Just ask Jim Harbough.

Recruit Averages and Win Averages since 2013. UTEP is the only school that averages less than 100. In fact, They have only had 2 classes above 100. (2018 & 2019). In the last 7 years, 7 times a CUSA team has scored less than 100 in recruiting. UTEP was 5 of those.

Recruit Avg Win Avg
Marshall (161.012857) 8.714286
FAU (146.167143) 5.714286
S. Miss (141.662857) 5.857143
La Tech (136.324286) 7.428571
WKU (132.537143) 8
MTSU (131.161429 ) 6.857143
UAB (129.155 ) 7.2
FIU (128.98) 5.285714
UTSA (125.345714 ) 4.714286
N. Texas (120.662857 ) 5.857143
Rice (115.494286 ) 4.571429
ODU (111.687143 ) 5.166667
Charlotte (104.09 ) 3.8
UTEP (96.1728571 ) 2.857143

Reactions: UTEPDefense
Recruit Averages and Win Averages since 2013. UTEP is the only school that averages less than 100. In fact, They have only had 2 classes above 100. (2018 & 2019). In the last 7 years, 7 times a CUSA team has scored less than 100 in recruiting. UTEP was 5 of those.

Recruit Avg Win Avg
WKU (132.537143) 8
UAB (129.155 ) 7.2
FIU (128.98) 5.285714
Charlotte (104.09 ) 3.8

Good recruiting IS important. Good coaching IS important. Maybe your post was intended for someone else. I’ll disengage from this convo going forward.

Recruit Avg Win Avg
WKU (132.537143) 8
UAB (129.155 ) 7.2
FIU (128.98) 5.285714
Charlotte (104.09 ) 3.8

You can’t underestimate good coaching. Look at this year: dumb penalties, constant mismanagement, a failure to communicate pre play, bad play calling. Good programs don’t have these failures top down. Championship caliber teams aren’t bumbling the basics.

Good recruiting IS important. Good coaching IS important. Maybe your post was intended for someone else. I’ll disengage from this convo going forward.

Nah, man. I'm analytical. I agree with you and have pointed out certain calls that have stunk, in my opinion, throughout the season. But this disaster is years in the making and whoever got this job was going to be in real bad shape.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT