ADVERTISEMENT

What is the worst officiating call that you have ever seen in a UTEP game?

UTEPDefense

MI Hall of Famer
Oct 8, 2002
The addition of instant replay has helped to eliminate some of the more obvious missed calls. But my question is what is the worst officiating call that you have ever seen in a UTEP game?

I have two that come to mind, both were football related:

- In 1992, UTEP was playing at UNLV. UTEP had the lead and I believe that we were driving around midfield when we called a shovel pass. It was a clear shovel pass play call, in which UNLV got pressure into the backfiled and our running back dropped the ball and it fell incomplete. The UNLV defensive linemen picked up the ball and started running, thinking that it was a fumble, and he ran it back for a touchdown. The UTEP players didn’t make much of an attempt to catch him or run him down, becuase they knew it was an incomplete pass. The officials looked at each other and just went with the play. They hudled and talked after the UTEP coaches tried to explain that it was a pass, but the officials stuck with the call on the field and that incorrectly called fumble that was returned for a touchdown is what won the game for UNLV. They beat UTEP 19-17. UTEP would have almost certainly won that game if they had instant replay at that time.

- My second play can be seen in the video linked below. Back in 2004, UTEP was playing Boise State’s tail off. It was a very close 3 point game towards the end of the 3rd quarter and Boise was trying to convert a key 3rd down. Their WR caught a pass with BOTH feet out of bounds, it wasn’t even really that close when you watch the replay, yet the officials gave him the completion and Boise was awarded a first down. That call kept the drive alive and they ended up scoring a TD on that drive a few plays later instead of punting. Thus UTEP began the 4th quarter down by 10, instead of being down by only 3 and having the ball. What upset me most is that you see the official in the replay staring right at the play, yet he still makes the wrong call. The play can be seen at the 1 hour and 17 minute mark(1:17:09) of this video below:

Last edited:
Reactions: JCorona
UTEP vs UT 1991, 12/29/1991

Game got ugly. I like a UT. I cheer for the 'horns ("Hook'em!". That's for you life). But the calls were getting just a tad one sided as UTEP starting pulling away. UT got right back in the game thanks to zebra's. I swear I thought UTEP fans were going to riot. UTEP held on but Don Haskins was noted growling "Never again!" (as in will his UTEP Miners play UT). Not because he was mad at UT, but because out of respect for UT because they are the flag ship school of the UT system.

I posted this a few days ago, but the Wilms tip in against ODU. First time as a fan I witnessed the ref give a "right back at you too, coach! Take that to the bank. A-hole!" to Tim Floyd. Nothing more, nothing less. CUSA refs are tight in their play calling and they don't let the boys be boys, but Floyd pushed too far.

UTEP vs UT 1991, 12/29/1991

Game got ugly. I like a UT. I cheer for the 'horns ("Hook'em!". That's for you life). But the calls were getting just a tad one sided as UTEP starting pulling away. UT got right back in the game thanks to zebra's. I swear I thought UTEP fans were going to riot. UTEP held on but Don Haskins was noted growling "Never again!" (as in will his UTEP Miners play UT). Not because he was mad at UT, but because out of respect for UT because they are the flag ship school of the UT system.

I posted this a few days ago, but the Wilms tip in against ODU. First time as a fan I witnessed the ref give a "right back at you too, coach! Take that to the bank. A-hole!" to Tim Floyd. Nothing more, nothing less. CUSA refs are tight in their play calling and they don't let the boys be boys, but Floyd pushed too far.

They came to the tournament a few years later. Tom Penders came across as an arrogant snob and cemented my hatred for the school in Austin forever

The ODU team walked onto the court and taunted the already angry fans. Then they acted surprised when they started getting bottles and cups thrown at them. Ugly incident I wish had never happened

They came to the tournament a few years later. Tom Penders came across as an arrogant snob and cemented my hatred for the school in Austin forever
That was the tournament, wasn't it? UT is fun to hate, along with TAMU. Tech, who cares?:D

Reactions: Cube Jack
I don't recall specifically most of the bad calls, but I do remember one home basketball game whereby we had 5-6 terrible calls just go against us and Haskins was getting redder and redder. He finally had enough and walked out to half court. When the ref turned around to run back to the other half of the court, he darn near flattened Haskins. Ref didn't know what to do, finally when his composure returned, he T'd Coach up. Was one of the funniest things with a ref I have ever seen. Of course we started getting some calls...

The addition of instant replay has helped to eliminate some of the more obvious missed calls. But my question is what is the worst officiating call that you have ever seen in a UTEP game?

I have two that come to mind, both

- My second play can be seen in the video linked below. Back in 2004, UTEP was playing Boise State’s tail off. It was a very close 3 point game towards the end of the 3rd quarter and Boise was trying to convert a key 3rd down. Their WR caught a pass with BOTH feet out of bounds, it wasn’t even really that close when you watch the replay, yet the officials gave him the completion and Boise was awarded a first down. That call kept the drive alive and they ended up scoring a TD on that drive a few plays later instead of punting. Thus UTEP began the 4th quarter down by 10, instead of being down by only 3 and having the ball. What upset me most is that you see the official in the replay staring right at the play, yet he still makes the wrong call. The play can be seen at the 1 hour and 17 minute mark(1:17:09) of this video below:

If memory serves me correctly Palmer threw two horrendous ints in the endzone. We should have been up three touchdowns at halftime but those ints killed us.

I don't recall specifically most of the bad calls, but I do remember one home basketball game whereby we had 5-6 terrible calls just go against us and Haskins was getting redder and redder. He finally had enough and walked out to half court. When the ref turned around to run back to the other half of the court, he darn near flattened Haskins. Ref didn't know what to do, finally when his composure returned, he T'd Coach up. Was one of the funniest things with a ref I have ever seen. Of course we started getting some calls...

I don't know the details or whether the following was just a legend, but back before there was an automatic ejection when you got a 2nd technical foul, wasn't there a story where the Ref warned Haskins that he would give him a technical for every step that Haskins took onto the court. Haskins charged at the Ref any way and he took 10 steps onto the floor.......and the Ref gave Haskins10 technicals foul calls.

Of course 20 years from now, we might be talking about the crazy times when Tim Floyd got technical fouls called against him in both the Costa Rica summer tour games and this year's exhibition pre-season games.

I don't remember the specifics but there was a basketball game Barbee's team played against Santa Clara on their court. It was an overtime game and the officials screwed us on the last play of the game. There were suspensions and apologies afterwards but the damage was done.

I don't remember the specifics but there was a basketball game Barbee's team played against Santa Clara on their court. It was an overtime game and the officials screwed us on the last play of the game. There were suspensions and apologies afterwards but the damage was done.
It was 2008, and it was the finals of a tournament (kind of like our Sun Classic/Sun Bowl Invitational or whatever we're calling it now).

The call was that Santa Clara called a timeout when they had no timeouts left, which should have been an automatic technical foul. The refs decided it would be a shame to end the game that way and they decided not to penalize them (they reversed their call). I was FURIOUS because UTEP had lost a home game to NMSU in the Haskins years because they called a timeout with no timeouts left and were issued a technical. It was absolutely infuriating since we UTEP fans had experienced the other end. It was not fair. Be consistent. I don't care that it's Santa Clara's tournament and it would be a "shame" for them to lose on their home court for this, so let's pretend it didn't happen.

I don't remember any suspensions or apologies, but I was pretty disgusted at the time and didn't want to read anymore about the game, so maybe I missed it. Were there actually any suspensions or apologies?

Reactions: jdubb66
Well, according to this, the three officials were indeed suspended for a game after this. There were a bunch of other bad calls that I had forgotten about, too.

http://thesantaclara.org/2009-brings-uphill-battle-for-broncos/#.WxWLFE0o66I

>"With UTEP holding a one-point lead and control of the ball with less than three seconds left on the game clock, it seemed like it was over for the Broncos.

But James Rahon stole the subsequent UTEP inbound pass and was straddling the out of bound line when an official thought Rahon called a timeout and blew the whistle with 2.3 seconds left in the game.

Problem was Santa Clara had no timeouts remaining.

“First, I tried to get my balance,” Rahon said. “Once I got my balance I thought about getting the ball to Perry (Petty) and to just score. I was surprised to hear the whistle.”

Head Coach Kerry Keating said that he and his team knew that had no timeouts left.

“I saw James trying to get his balance, so he didn’t travel,” Keating said. “Then the whistle blew. I certainly didn’t call a timeout. I know James didn’t and he had the ball.”

UTEP Head Coach Tony Barbee said he believed that both Keating and Rahon called a timeout. After the final buzzer Barbee was seen yelling at an official.

“I’ve never felt so violated in my life,” Barbee said of the call.

Instead of the Miners’ shooting two free throws for the technical foul, the official gave the Broncos the ball underneath their own basket which lead to Bryant’s winning drive to the basket.

“It’s part of human error, part of the game,” Keating added. “John still was able to execute a play after all that. That’s senior leadership and go-to guy that our team is counting on.”<

http://thesantaclara.org/web-update...for-broncos-in-stunning-fashion/#.WxWLVUFMHYU

From the FeralFelidae linked article, there were even more errors than just the missed time-out call. They also incorrectly allowed Santa Clara to put their best player back into the game during that stoppage and then when that player scored, UTEP thought it was a charge and started celebrating:

>"Keating and Rahon denied calling a timeout and the officials admitted their mistake, claiming an inadvertent whistle and allowing the Broncos to keep possession.

The referees then permitted both Santa Clara’s John Bryant and UTEP’s Claude Britten to sub into the game.

NCAA regulations forbid substitutions during stoppages for inadvertent whistles that occur in the final 59.9 seconds of regulation or overtime.

Bryant received the inbound pass and muscled his way to the basket to score.

The officials called a foul and the UTEP bench began to celebrate, believing that the big center was called for a charge, but the whistle was against UTEP and sent Bryant to the line with 0.7 seconds left in overtime.

UTEP head coach Tony Barbee was furious at the mishaps, which were eventually acknowledged by the West Coast Conference last Friday and resulted in one-game suspensions for the three officials from that game."<

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT