ADVERTISEMENT

What would your ranking of UTEP's quarterbacks since 2010 look like?

MinerFan_18

Starter
Sep 7, 2018
Rank them. Taken from Reddit.

1) Trevor Vittatoe (Owns most of the passing records and took UTEP to a bowl game)

2) Jameil Showers (Came in and lead UTEP to a bowl game)

3) Ryan Metz (One of the few QBs to stick and great leader)

4) Nick Lamaison (He was okay by UTEP standards)

5) Kai Locksley (He broke the losing streak and hoping their will be a better showing this season)

6) Brandon Jones (Looked decent in the starts he had this past season. He almost beat LA Tech)

7) Mack Leftwich (Small QB but he could play. Unfortunately he got a beating and ended up retiring early)

8) Zach Greenlee (Transferred in, don't think he had any playmakers around besides Aaron Jones)

9) Kavika Johnson (Played okay, but didn't fit the scheme at the time and now a wideout)

10) Blaire Sullivan (Couldn't win the job, started in place of injured QBs and transferred out)

11) Carson Meger (Played for injured QBs, wasn't too good but at least he a TD or two)

12) Mark Torrez (Got throw in during the 2017 season, and wasn't ready. Not sure if he will see any playing time again)

Trevor Vittatoe
Jordan Palmer
Pat Hagerty
Rocky Perez
Sammy Garza
Not Familiar with '70s and before

Rank them. Taken from Reddit.

1) Trevor Vittatoe (Owns most of the passing records and took UTEP to a bowl game)

2) Jameil Showers (Came in and lead UTEP to a bowl game)

3) Ryan Metz (One of the few QBs to stick and great leader)

4) Nick Lamaison (He was okay by UTEP standards)

5) Kai Locksley (He broke the losing streak and hoping their will be a better showing this season)

6) Brandon Jones (Looked decent in the starts he had this past season. He almost beat LA Tech)

7) Mack Leftwich (Small QB but he could play. Unfortunately he got a beating and ended up retiring early)

8) Zach Greenlee (Transferred in, don't think he had any playmakers around besides Aaron Jones)

9) Kavika Johnson (Played okay, but didn't fit the scheme at the time and now a wideout)

10) Blaire Sullivan (Couldn't win the job, started in place of injured QBs and transferred out)

11) Carson Meger (Played for injured QBs, wasn't too good but at least he a TD or two)

12) Mark Torrez (Got throw in during the 2017 season, and wasn't ready. Not sure if he will see any playing time again)
Laimson was a Mike Price bust. Price sold him up like a an Infinity fully loaded leather interior SUV but was a standard Kia SUV instead.

Sullivan will be the mysterious "what if?" just because he appeared and was built and showed Dan McGwire like skills at practice (SDSU QB and All-WAC legendary qb). We'll never know.
Hands down Metz since 2010 but while the chronic on field failure falls on Kugler, a lot belongs on Metz because he would take direct hits from linebackers instead of sliding which would knock him out for weeks and no one could match his productivity.

Greenlee: see Laimason.

Meger?

Jones has tools but not KL athleticism. Garza was not great but at the right spot at the right time when Stull rode into town. Same goes for Palmer. Price cleaned his game up and his offense made Palmer look like his brother at USC.

Best since the 80's is Pat Hegarty.

LaMaison folded under the pressure of being chosen the top QB in the conference going into his senior season. He pressed too hard, thus throwing too many interceptions. His TD to INT. ratio was pretty bad. That's what got him. If the coaches had just done something with him to loosen him up, he would have done better. The leader board in stats for UTEP is a good indication of rating the QBs. Vittatoe, Palmer and Billy Stevens are the top three. Stevens goes way back, but he's the last QB to win a bowl game for the Miners.

1. Vittatoe (not close hes by far the best qb we've had in the time period.

2. Leftwich ( this will surprise some but he was more productive through the air than Showers. You could pencil him in for 220 yrds 2 TDs usually no ints. Unfortunately injuries cut his career short.)

3. Showers (great leader injury riddled career. He was not a very accurate passer at UTEP. He was athletic but understandably didnt use his legs much his senior year after getting hurt his junior season. Ironically I thought he was a much better passer in the preseason with Cowboys than he was at UTEP. As mentioned above he was not near as good through the air at UTEP as Leftwich was.)

4. Metz ( Definately had the most arm talent of any QB since 2010. He had interception issues which he cleaned up. He had a nice sophomore year. The junior season holds him down on this list. However, it wouldn't have mattered who played QB the results would've been the same. Career was derailed by injuries.

5. Nick Lamaison ( He was a total bust. Until Locksley he was worst passing qb I'd seen at UTEP. Fundamentasl were horrible. His accuracy was horrific.

6. Kai Locksley ( Horrible accuracy, God awful mechanics. Cant stretch a field vertically. Cant consistently his simple short passes. You can teach QBs alot of things but accuracy isnt one of them. In saying that I respect Locksley alot hes a gamer the kid is tough as hell. Hes just not a qb.

Reactions: MinerFan_18

2. Leftwich ( this will surprise some but he was more productive through the air than Showers. You could pencil him in for 220 yrds 2 TDs usually no ints. Unfortunately injuries cut his career short.)

3. Showers (great leader injury riddled career. He was not a very accurate passer at UTEP. He was athletic but understandably didnt use his legs much his senior year after getting hurt his junior season. Ironically I thought he was a much better passer in the preseason with Cowboys than he was at UTEP. As mentioned above he was not near as good through the air at UTEP as Leftwich was.)

4. Metz ( Definately had the most arm talent of any QB since 2010. He had interception issues which he cleaned up. He had a nice sophomore year. The junior season holds him down on this list. However, it wouldn't have mattered who played QB the results would've been the same. Career was derailed by injuries.

5. Nick Lamaison ( He was a total bust. Until Locksley he was worst passing qb I'd seen at UTEP. Fundamentasl were horrible. His accuracy was horrific.

6. Kai Locksley ( Horrible accuracy, God awful mechanics. Cant stretch a field vertically. Cant consistently his simple short passes. You can teach QBs alot of things but accuracy isnt one of them. In saying that I respect Locksley alot hes a gamer the kid is tough as hell. Hes just not a qb.

Good solid write up. Just want to see everyone rankings of the QBs that have played since 2010.

1) Trevor Vittatoe

2) Jameil Showers

3) Ryan Metz

4) Javia Hall

5) Mack Leftwich

6) Garrett Simpson

7) James Thomas II

8) Kai Locksley

9) Nick Lamaison

10) Brandon Jones

11) Blaire Sullivan

12) Carson Meger

13) Aaron Jones running the wildcat

14) Zach Greenlee

15) Mark Torrez

16) Guillerrmo Serrano

Reactions: MinerFan_18

Worst list ever. Leftwitch and Metz were crap. They are the reason Utep only won 1 game in last 2 years.

Reactions: UTEPfan1966
Vittatoe had a rifle and was college ready as a freshman. He had a lot of weapons on offense, but the lack of defense during his tenure was sad. That East Carolina game still haunts me. His only draw back were the goal line interceptions.

Vittatoe had a rifle and was college ready as a freshman. He had a lot of weapons on offense, but the lack of defense during his tenure was sad. That East Carolina game still haunts me. His only draw back were the goal line interceptions.
Drugs are illegal in Texas, bro

In defense of the Metz and Leftwich, lets not sugar coat it, the only legit offensive weapon either had was Aaron and Hayden Plinke, we haven't had a legit FBS level WR since Ian Hamilton graduated and Jordan Leslie dipped out to BYU. I think both are average quarterbacks, and if they had any type of talent on the outside, could have been suitable QB's capable of putting up respectable numbers.

I hate to be the party pooper but in 2010 TV was a senior and he put up the worst stats of his UTEP career. We did make a bowl game but ended the season having won only one out of the last seven games. That’s why I give the top spot to JS. He has the only winning season since 2005. Let’s not forget during his first season we were actually kind of competitive during the first six games. After he got hurt during the RICE game we were blown out badly in the last five losses. As 8106 said none really matter after the top two.

You just hit upon the main problem of the Mike Price era. Lack of depth. Trevor's worst season was his senior year because he played hurt most of the season. But the trouble was that even playing hurt, he was vastly better than anyone who could have gone in for him. That was the team in a nutshell.

Reactions: axingfools1
How is this even a debate. Trevor Vittatoe was by far the best college ready QB. Most posied and probably the strongest arm. Not to mention Trevor got on the field early. I'll agree with another poster here. Had we had a defense it would off been a lot different his last 2 seasons. Trevor by far the most talented.

How is this even a debate. Trevor Vittatoe was by far the best college ready QB. Most posied and probably the strongest arm. Not to mention Trevor got on the field early. I'll agree with another poster here. Had we had a defense it would off been a lot different his last 2 seasons. Trevor by far the most talented.
He did have a bazooka for an arm. Just a tad taller and he could have had a good paying job on Sunday mornings. Had a solid go to guy in Lorne Sam.

Reactions: MineroFanatico
ADVERTISEMENT