ADVERTISEMENT

When does Basketball Season Start??

And the gods and ghosts of the 80’s say...amen...
I wonder why some NMSU Aggie fans are not liking the hell out of this thread? It's just a group photo shot. I thought the Aggie logic was "Miner and Aggie fans have to support each other"?

Reactions: picks up
I wonder when people in here will start calling for Terry's head this upcoming BB season if he doesn't IMMEDIATELY turn things around within the first 10 games. We have a very good chance at losing a game or games to UT Permian Basin, Eastern New Mexico, Northwestern state, UC Riverside due to this team being young, inexperienced, and having no depth at the forward and center positions. Just like Dimel, Terry has to build this program from the ground up due to being left with not much to work with.

I wonder when people in here will start calling for Terry's head this upcoming BB season if he doesn't IMMEDIATELY turn things around within the first 10 games. We have a very good chance at losing a game or games to UT Permian Basin, Eastern New Mexico, Northwestern state, UC Riverside due to this team being young, inexperienced, and having no depth at the forward and center positions. Just like Dimel, Terry has to build this program from the ground up due to being left with not much to work with.

Basketball is no different from football. Two programs being completely rebuilt. The only difference is the regular season in hoops is meaningless. Anyone who's paying attention realizes this is Terry's throw away year. This is alot like Billy G's first year undermanned. Next year is the years hes building for to propel him to a big time job.

I hope the fan base doesn’t have unrealistic expectations for Terry this season. He took three years at Fresno St to get the ball rolling. The program he took over wasn’t as in bad shape as the one Floyd left him.

Reactions: develman
The basketball regular season is far from meaningless.
I hope the fan base doesn’t have unrealistic expectations for Terry this season. He took three years at Fresno St to get the ball rolling. The program he took over wasn’t as in bad shape as the one Floyd left him.
Aren't you one of the people on here calling for Dimel's head 2 games into the season and giving specific circumstances in which he should be fired in the 2019 season??? Terry was lucky in the fact that we had 4 players on this team when he got here, so he had the luxury of loading this team up with his players right away. Dimel has to slowly weed out players who should not be playing at this level of football.

Basketball is no different from football. Two programs being completely rebuilt. The only difference is the regular season in hoops is meaningless. Anyone who's paying attention realizes this is Terry's throw away year. This is alot like Billy G's first year undermanned. Next year is the years hes building for to propel him to a big time job.
Honestly, after two years he'd book that fast? I'd say three to four.

Anyways, the "Walking in Memphis" days of chasing one team are long, long over. UTEP now has to chase WKU, MTSU, UAB and La Tech.

The basketball regular season is far from meaningless.

Aren't you one of the people on here calling for Dimel's head 2 games into the season and giving specific circumstances in which he should be fired in the 2019 season??? Terry was lucky in the fact that we had 4 players on this team when he got here, so he had the luxury of loading this team up with his players right away. Dimel has to slowly weed out players who should not be playing at this level of football.
I don’t think he should be let go right now. If our losing streak extends to 25 games and one of those includes a FCS team that has only won 13 games in their entire history then he’s not the man for this or any other FBS head coaching job.

Reactions: El Paso Is Great
The hoops regular season is far from meaningless. Our only way into the NCAA Tourney is through the CUSA Tourney, so it is very important to have a very good regular season to get that #1 seed in the Tourney, and have more favorable match ups during the CUSA Tourney. Once your in the NCAA Tourney, anything can happen. Look at Marshal, UAB, MTSU over the past 4 years. Terry looks to be recruiting the caliber of players to do some damage in the NCAA Tourney.

Reactions: MineroFanatico
The hoops regular season is far from meaningless. Our only way into the NCAA Tourney is through the CUSA Tourney, so it is very important to have a very good regular season to get that #1 seed in the Tourney, and have more favorable match ups during the CUSA Tourney. Once your in the NCAA Tourney, anything can happen. Look at Marshal, UAB, MTSU over the past 4 years. Terry looks to be recruiting the caliber of players to do some damage in the NCAA Tourney.

Its meaningless as it pertains to the NCAA tournament. Terry could pull a Mike White and win 28 games and it wont matter unless he wins the conference tournament. The conference schedule like you mentioned is important for seeding, however the non conference slate is utterly meaningless. Really the season doesnt start until March at conference tournament.

If Coach Terry gets his first team above 16 wins, he will have done a great job. If he does better than the 11 wins of last season, I'll say he's ok. It looks like the team will be poised to take off in Terry's second season. If a big time school offers him a ton of money he may take it, but short of that, I think he'll stay a while.

Reactions: EPTUTEP
Its meaningless as it pertains to the NCAA tournament. Terry could pull a Mike White and win 28 games and it wont matter unless he wins the conference tournament. The conference schedule like you mentioned is important for seeding, however the non conference slate is utterly meaningless.
The non conference slate is not utterly meaningless. Here is a quote from Terry "Our philosophy in scheduling a lot of times is we want to try and schedule games in non-conference that help us prepare for conference play," Terry said. "Playing in a hostile environment on the road will help us when we get a chance to play in a very tough place when conference starts. We'll be prepared and will be ready to go."

Really the season doesnt start until March at conference tournament.

That phrase was one of the most used phrases on here during Floyd's tenure here and we didn't do jack in the CUSA Tourney because we were always a pretender. The CUSA contenders have been winning the CUSA Tourney, not the CUSA pretenders. The top 3 teams in CUSA are pretty damn good and they have been knocking off high seeds the past 4 years in the 1st round of the NCAA Tourney. A 12th seed can get hot and win the CUSA Tourney, but that just hasn't been the case in CUSA. You have to be a contender in CUSA and you do that by doing what Terry mentioned about the non conference schedule and using it to your advantage, and you need to do well in the CUSA regular season to try and get that #1 seed (or at least a top 4 seed) to get the more favorable matchup in the CUSA Tourney. WKU is tearing it up in recruiting and landing top 25 recruiting classes. These guys have the potential to be a top 25 team. Getting that #1 seed is crucial because lets say WKU is a #2 seed, they have a play a #3 seed and might get knocked out and we don't have to play them, and we play the #4 seed. So the non conference and conference games are not meaningless in a 1 bid league like CUSA.

If Coach Terry gets his first team above 16 wins, he will have done a great job. If he does better than the 11 wins of last season, I'll say he's ok. It looks like the team will be poised to take off in Terry's second season. If a big time school offers him a ton of money he may take it, but short of that, I think he'll stay a while.
He overachieved for year two. But then again I thought Dimel addressed key gaps and had solid recruiting for 2018, so who knows?

Turning around a perennial college football loser vs turning around a 'down' college basketball program is apples to oranges. Dimel just has so much more to deal with. Year 3 I expect Dimel to have us in a bowl game. Year 3 I expect Terry to win CUSA and have us in the round of 32. Year 1 is a wash for both in my mind.

Turning around a perennial college football loser vs turning around a 'down' college basketball program is apples to oranges. Dimel just has so much more to deal with. Year 3 I expect Dimel to have us in a bowl game. Year 3 I expect Terry to win CUSA and have us in the round of 32. Year 1 is a wash for both in my mind.

Harder to turn a round basketball if the goal is the NCAA tournament since we're in a one bid league.

Harder to turn a round basketball if the goal is the NCAA tournament since we're in a one bid league.
Someone should call Ice Cube and make a song called "One Bid" that makes fun of CUSA.

"You ball n' you ball
but you all just fall
cuz you all got jacked
because you got no stack

you can't get past with the coaches with you have
and you all just a one bid group
so go lick your wounds and have chicken soup
so let it go with CBI or Vegas 16 and let it be your grave

I dunno. I'm a heavy metal lover

I need to see them in person, but Efe doesn't look 6'9" to me...

Eze and Verhoeven look like big boys. I think Eze will be our true center. I know there will be a curve, but I'm really looking forward to watching what Efe and Eze can do this year. I think our guards (Lathon and Hawkins) will have an easier transition.

Is seems like the whole team gets along well when looking at social media, but Tarke and Stroud seem to be pretty good friends. Next year it will be showtime with two young guns in the mix! Student section needs to bring back the big Bo cardboard character too..this time with Verhoeven on it.

It will be refreshing just to have Floyd gone.
I agree 100%. With Floyd here, we always knew there would be at least 1 incoming player that would never show up to campus, 1 player would always leave the team right before the season began, and we would be average during the season. Having Terry here and having his entire recruiting class on campus and ready to go is finally a breath of fresh air.

I need to see them in person, but Efe doesn't look 6'9" to me...

Eze and Verhoeven look like big boys. I think Eze will be our true center. I know there will be a curve, but I'm really looking forward to watching what Efe and Eze can do this year. I think our guards (Lathon and Hawkins) will have an easier transition.

Is seems like the whole team gets along well when looking at social media, but Tarke and Stroud seem to be pretty good friends. Next year it will be showtime with two young guns in the mix! Student section needs to bring back the big Bo cardboard character too..this time with Verhoeven on it.
I have exchanged a few tweets with Nigel Hawkeye Hawkins and intend to keep in touch with him. He is a genuine person with a perfect attitude and outlook. He will be a crowd favorite and I am so happy that he is a Miner. Looks like he's got a bunch of 5 star teammates as well. Gonna be fun watching these guys grow.

I've seen efe in person and I would definitely say he's 6'9". Actually the kids I saw have the size I havent seen in a UTEP basketball team in a while. NBA type size. Only Boum didn't make me seem so tiny when I met them lol

I've seen efe in person and I would definitely say he's 6'9". Actually the kids I saw have the size I havent seen in a UTEP basketball team in a while. NBA type size. Only Boum didn't make me seem so tiny when I met them lol

Let's stop hyping the new players as "NBA type" players before they have even played one minute of college basketball.

Reactions: KaneFan29
It doesn't matter. These kids haven't even played a college game. Let them play first before you say NBA anything.

Just like most of the things you post, that makes absolutely no sense.

There are millions of people on this planet who could be compared to NBA players in terms of stature/ physicality. Has nothing to do with one's ability to play the game....

Rhyanes, Eze and Verhoeven all look 6'9". Efe no. I'm 6'2". I once saw Ced Lang and thought he was MAYBE 6'8" (although listed at 6'10" at UTEP). The Vikings had him listed at his true size this preseason..6'7" 265lbs. I know nobody cares about actual size so if Efe is anything like Lang then I will take it!

Reactions: MINER.JAY
Charles Barkley was 6'5" put played much, much bigger than his height. Having a big rump helped too.

Just like most of the things you post, that makes absolutely no sense.

There are millions of people on this planet who could be compared to NBA players in terms of stature/ physicality. Has nothing to do with one's ability to play the game....

I don't like hype. Hyping somebody up usually never works.

I have exchanged a few tweets with Nigel Hawkeye Hawkins and intend to keep in touch with him. He is a genuine person with a perfect attitude and outlook. He will be a crowd favorite and I am so happy that he is a Miner. Looks like he's got a bunch of 5 star teammates as well. Gonna be fun watching these guys grow.

Who are his 5 star friends??

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT