ADVERTISEMENT

Where's Our Master Plans?

JCorona

MI Miner Maniac
Jun 15, 2014
Does Senter have any plans to improve the Athletic Department? Or are we going to keep doing the same ole?

Seems like MTSU turned down the MAC because they have bigger aspirations. They know they might be next in line for the AAC. They've been quietly fundraising and are about 90% of the way to their first goal of 66 million to start this project.

Senter, what are you doing to get us ready for the next wave of realignment? Or is your goal to keep asking for donations with no clear plan in sight?

Does Senter have any plans to improve the Athletic Department? Or are we going to keep doing the same ole?

Seems like MTSU turned down the MAC because they have bigger aspirations. They know they might be next in line for the AAC. They've been quietly fundraising and are about 90% of the way to their first goal of 66 million to start this project.

Senter, what are you doing to get us ready for the next wave of realignment? Or is your goal to keep asking for donations with no clear plan in sight?
What’s the last major Athletics building that UTEP has built, The Durham Center?

UNT hired consultants years ago to figure out how to position themselves for this realignment. MTSU has this, I believe SHSU has a campaign to generate $100 million and they’re almost there. I hope this was a wake up call to both Senter and Wilson that they need to think 2025, 2030, 2050, not just 2021-2022.

Future conference member and current FCS school...

33 million recreation and fitness center

Unknown cost for athletic sports performance center

80 million stadium renovation

If you have ever wondered why FCS schools leave us behind, here's one of the main reasons.

Hey we got a new basketball floor....

Reactions: Lil_Train
Liberty has so much money...

They couldn't draw enough fans to their basketball arena and since it looked half empty they decided to build a smaller one so it looks full.

First one built in 1990 and renovated in 2015

Second one built in December 2020

Must be nice....

Reactions: Rocketsr
Liberty has so much money...

They couldn't draw enough fans to their basketball arena and since it looked half empty they decided to build a smaller one so it looks full.

First one built in 1990 and renovated in 2015

Second one built in December 2020

Must be nice....
Liberty’s tuition is more than twice the price as UTEPs and has more than 4x the students.

Liberty’s tuition is more than twice the price as UTEPs and has more than 4x the students.
That explains Liberty.

Doesn't explain why JSU with half the student population and similar tuition has over 100 million dollars in facilities upgrades and we don't. Maybe it's cuz the 12,000 citizens of Jacksonville Alabama care more about their university than the 800k that live in El Paso County...

That explains Liberty.

Doesn't explain why JSU with half the student population and similar tuition has over 100 million dollars in facilities upgrades and we don't. Maybe it's cuz the 12,000 citizens of Jacksonville Alabama care more about their university than the 800k that live in El Paso County...
JSU won the D2 National Title in 1992. Made the FCS playoffs every year from 2013-18 and made the 2015 championship game. They can “dangle” FBS and moving up to their boosters. What can UTEP “dangle” in front of theirs?

They beat Florida St this year and they’re in FCS. UTEP hasn’t beat a P5 team in 54 years or won a bowl game. FCS teams can beat P5 teams, UTEP has come up short every time since the 1967 Sun Bowl, which was at home of course. I’d have to look how much longer it’s been since UTEP beat a P5 team on the road. These guys are doing it as a FCS school.

I also bet JaxSt doesn’t have a lot of their students being from Mexico, who care more about Chivas and America more than any UTEP sport.

There you have it, a former D2 and current FCS school with half the student population of UTEP in a town of 12k can raise over 100 million but UTEP can't. Now that's sad. If only Senter could dangle the prospect of moving up to the MW or AAC to the boosters during the next wave of realignment.

Yeah, take away the 1800 students from Mexico and UTEP still has more than double the student body of JSU.

There was a master plan about from 2014ish I believe. I seen the PDF and I have seen the physical copy of it. It was the master plan for the whole campus. It was extremely extremely ambitious. I believe so far from that plan only about three things have been done. Centennial Plaza, New Research building and Miner Canyon Dorms. I will look for it on my old computer and post it.

There was a master plan about from 2014ish I believe. I seen the PDF and I have seen the physical copy of it. It was the master plan for the whole campus. It was extremely extremely ambitious. I believe so far from that plan only about three things have been done. Centennial Plaza, New Research building and Miner Canyon Dorms. I will look for it on my old computer and post it.

Is this the one (for just athletics)? Facilities on page 6.

https://www.utep.edu › LinksPDF
Web results
Campus Master Plan | 2011 - The University of Texas at El Paso

I think you're talking about this one.

Last edited:
That trash lot would be a nice area for the IPF. Kills 2 birds with one stone. No more trash after tailgates and we get a nice upgraded facility. We could have one built for around 10-15 million.

Reactions: utep-piggy
There you have it, a former D2 and current FCS school with half the student population of UTEP in a town of 12k can raise over 100 million but UTEP can't. Now that's sad. If only Senter could dangle the prospect of moving up to the MW or AAC to the boosters during the next wave of realignment.

Yeah, take away the 1800 students from Mexico and UTEP still has more than double the student body of JSU.

If you want to raise $100 million for a campaign, any fundraising professional worth their salt knows that 90-95% of that total will come from 5-10% of the donors. Which means that you can't realistically set a goal without the heavy hitters (5-10%) buying into the project(s) before even announcing such a campaign. My hope is that we have those type of pockets out there somewhere to accomplish such goals.

If you want to raise $100 million for a campaign, any fundraising professional worth their salt knows that 90-95% of that total will come from 5-10% of the donors. Which means that you can't realistically set a goal without the heavy hitters (5-10%) buying into the project(s) before even announcing such a campaign. My hope is that we have those type of pockets out there somewhere to accomplish such goals.
True because I can gather that no regular alumni (present company excepted) would give $25/month for the athletic program. Can tell you how many ppl I was an RA and TA for that didn’t care to donate once they were out to anything

Reactions: JCorona
I also bet JaxSt doesn’t have a lot of their students being from Mexico, who care more about Chivas and America more than any UTEP sport.

Hey! Guerrero de Corazon, here! (Santos) and hate America w/ a passion, don't care about Chivas. Miner BBall is more important than Santos. Miner football and Santos depends on who is having a better season....

For all the shit BS gets at least he had a plan.
I must say it was a comprehensive plan but chock full of 'more with less' thinking for example: one goal was "To maintain a quality athletic department based on the commitment to integrity in all areas". What the hell does that mean?
frank-costanza-seinfeld.gif

But at least he had a plan, you're right.

15 million isn't bad if UTEP could do something similar on the south end zone.

But will the people come? Nooooooo tomorrow is proof. Why spend all that money on something our city won’t support ? Think
It's designed for the recruits. Better recruiting might lead to more wins which would then lead to fans coming.

We've seen the potential of what could be if we win. This season we have the second highest attendance for a game behind only UAB'S stadium debut. Things can turn around pretty quick for UTEP'S fanbase.

Not even that. The ribbon boards at the Sun Bowl use to show useful game information. Now they've all be replaced by advertising. Have to bring in revenue anyway you can.
I don’t know why UTEP doesn’t tarp up most of the non press box side and sell advertising there.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT