ADVERTISEMENT

Where's the intensity in local H.S. football? (and the link to UTEP recruiting)

HeWore62

All Star
Apr 18, 2018
Followed a previous thread from a respectful distance, especially with regard to the El Paso schools. The brethren here is missing a key point. To that, pronto, but first, I stick by my impression that Sun City schoolboy football is on a general trajectory upward. What's more, my forthcoming rip should be tempered by the fact I have only seen six Sun City teams to date, but ...

At field level, I generally do not see nor hear the game-day teaching and mentoring from El Paso-area coaches, to match opposing sidelines. Instead, I've seen 5A and 6A coaches spend more time dogging the officials than imparting information and providing adult instruction. El Paso kids may thin k they are playing hard; they ain't.

Result? I have not seen the kind of energy (not just yapping, but coming off the ball and competing with a cold intensity) I had hoped to see. A couple teams, which shall go unnamed here, have potential D-1 prospects. Indeed, a handful may play at the next level, even at my alma mater. If I were scouting El Paso for UTEP, I would want to see more -- a larger sample size, yes, but also more focused effort, more commitment.

I have seen this game played at a high level; perhaps you have, too, so this brings me no joy to write. The risk here is to be unfair. Coaches are dedicated men, generally of high character, who devote untold hours to young people in the community but ...

If I were A.D. in Socorro ISD or EPISD, I would conduct off-season meetings with my coaches -- low-key, off-camera and low-profile -- to provide constructive remarks and deliver higher expectations.

ALL local kids -- not just the ones with D-1 talent who might be Miners some day -- deserve better than what I've seen.

tenor.gif

My oldest played at Montwood. They did really well at 7 on 7 during this time. He started at corner when they beat Permian in Odessa (only EP team to accomplish this). Gatewood was on that team. That was a big high for them. They had a lot of skill. A few weeks later they went to San Antonio and got murdered. They got pushed around and their skill was nullified.

Despite their team speed and skill, they didn't have significant power or size on the lines. When they came up against that team in San Antonio, and later similar teams in the playoffs, they were no match physically.

Now my younger son is playing JV at Montwood. He just turned 15. Although he is much bigger than my older son, he also plays corner as well. He is still learning the game. His cornerback coach is from San Antonio and also has a son who played high school there in SA. The coach shows the Montwood players film of his son when teaching the position.

I can say from my personal experience that Famaligi is a much better than person than Veliz and seems to be a much better coach. They don't have the talent they've had the past few years, but the kids play hard and seem to respond to him much better. He is very approachable for all the players and parents and has done a better job of evaluating kids and teaching them. There are always ways to get better, but I agree EP is slowly catching up.

Reactions: HeWore62
El Paso kids are skinny. I watched Franklin play Permian earlier this season and they had a kid in Matt Jones who the Franklin kids described as a "grown ass man". I grew up in the Permian basin and we were lifting weights as part of our football off season training in the 7th grade. We had our own weight room and everything. Guys in my class went on to play at Texas Tech, Rice, Utep and were benching over 350 and squatting 500. I don't think El Paso kids get the same opportunities.

With the bond that YISD passed a few years ago, all of their middle schools will have weight rooms. At Eastwood the weight room is booked by all sports, from 6:00 a.m. until after 2:00 p.m. all summer. Just as an add on, former UTEP running back, Josh Bell is now teaching and coaching football at Eastwood.

With the bond that YISD passed a few years ago, all of their middle schools will have weight rooms. At Eastwood the weight room is booked by all sports, from 6:00 a.m. until after 2:00 p.m. all summer. Just as an add on, former UTEP running back, Josh Bell is now teaching and coaching football at Eastwood.
Eastwood looks all brand new with the renovations and add on's. "If you build it, they will come" back. So Stan, is Trooper sports back on the map?

A lot of coaches I know use the "we dont have the athlethes" excuse and as as a result they dont put the effort into it. The good teams have too many easy games because half the programs in El Paso pretty much forfeit the season and just wanna win enough games not to get fired. Imagine playing preseason football and then you're in the playoffs, that's how it's like for El Paso teams.

A lot of coaches their football knowledge stopped with their playing days in the 70s and 80s.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT