ADVERTISEMENT

which college bb coaches have been successful on year 1

Paul Weir started strong at UNM after being an assistant at NMSU. He didn't make the grade in the long run and is now a U19 coach in Canada's Basketball World Cup.

McCasland is hanging in there. He's a great coach! From the same lineage as Terry but obviously a better X&O guy. Looking in the rearview, Terry was lacking in so many ways.

McCasland has done very well but that 1st season at UNT he was 20-18 with 5 wins and 1 loss coming in the cbi tournament. Not a winning regular season and a 1st round loss in the cusa tournament but that cbi tourney got them launched.

Bobby Knight; from www.indianahq.com

In 1971, Knight was hired as the head coach for Indiana. In his first season, he defeated No. 14 Kansas, No. 7 Kentucky, No. 8 BYU, No. 16 Michigan, and No. 14 Ohio State and reached No.5 at one point during the season. However, Knight’s team reached the NIT and lost in the first round to Princeton.

Knight’s team improved drastically in his second season, reaching the Final Four and losing to John Wooden’s UCLA team that went 30-0. Knight did secure the third place finish with a victory over Providence in the Third Place Game.

Last edited:
Reactions: Minerinciter
#1 has to be Steve Fisher. Dude got the job right before the tournament and won the whole thing.
One of the best stories in college basketball but I'm not sure it counts (in this context) since he didn't coach from the beginning of the season.

from wikipedia:
Frieder intended to coach Michigan through the end of the 1989 NCAA tournament. However, when he told athletic director Bo Schembechler of his intentions, Schembechler ordered Frieder to leave immediately and named Fisher as interim head coach. When announcing the promotion of Fisher, Schembechler famously said, "I don't want someone from Arizona State coaching the Michigan team. A Michigan man is going to coach Michigan."[3]

Initially, Fisher was not expected to retain the position after the season. However, Fisher led the Wolverines to an improbable NCAA championship that season, thanks to a strong performance by forward Glen Rice. Schembechler hired him as the school's permanent head coach a week after the championship game. Michigan credits the 1988–89 regular season to Frieder and the NCAA tournament to Fisher. Because of the unusual circumstances surrounding the timing of Fisher's hiring, he is the only person to win the NCAA Men's Division I national championship without having ever experienced a loss as the team's head coach.

Reactions: Taco1977
It takes a new coach a few years to build their pregram. Who's been the most successful on year 1?
It really depends on what's left in the cupboard as well. For instance, Floyd came into a cupboard full situation minus two key players and won 24 games and should've had the miners in the NCAA, had they not melted down in the last minute against Memphis. This upcoming year Miners will have every key player back minus Williams. So your question really depends on who's left and who's brought it. With the transfer portal the way it is now, it's absolutely possible for a coach to win year 1.

#1 has to be Steve Fisher. Dude got the job right before the tournament and won the whole thing.
The "original" Fab 5... Loy Vaught, Glen Rice, Rumeal Robinson, Sean Higgins and Terry Mills. All 5 went to the NBA (I think Robinson is still in prison) unlike the 90s version that is better remembered.

One of the best stories in college basketball but I'm not sure it counts (in this context) since he didn't coach from the beginning of the season.

from wikipedia:
Frieder intended to coach Michigan through the end of the 1989 NCAA tournament. However, when he told athletic director Bo Schembechler of his intentions, Schembechler ordered Frieder to leave immediately and named Fisher as interim head coach. When announcing the promotion of Fisher, Schembechler famously said, "I don't want someone from Arizona State coaching the Michigan team. A Michigan man is going to coach Michigan."[3]

Initially, Fisher was not expected to retain the position after the season. However, Fisher led the Wolverines to an improbable NCAA championship that season, thanks to a strong performance by forward Glen Rice. Schembechler hired him as the school's permanent head coach a week after the championship game. Michigan credits the 1988–89 regular season to Frieder and the NCAA tournament to Fisher. Because of the unusual circumstances surrounding the timing of Fisher's hiring, he is the only person to win the NCAA Men's Division I national championship without having ever experienced a loss as the team's head coach.
Didn't know that's why he took over right before the tournament.
Kevin Ollie.
He won the championship his second year.

The "original" Fab 5... Loy Vaught, Glen Rice, Rumeal Robinson, Sean Higgins and Terry Mills. All 5 went to the NBA (I think Robinson is still in prison) unlike the 90s version that is better remembered.
Did all those guys come in and start as freshmen together? If so, they should absolutely be called the Fab five.

Didn't know that's why he took over right before the tournament.

He won the championship his second year.

The first year they were on probation and banned from postseason play. The first year he could go to the post season they won the Championship. It went downhill very quickly after that.

Reactions: kickballpro
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT