ADVERTISEMENT

WHO ARE OUR BIGGEST RIVALS?

miner1liner

MI Hall of Famer
Feb 10, 2014
I personally think it's NMSU, TEXAS TECH AND SMU and we aren't even in the same conference.

I don't think smu fans give 2 fvcks about smu. My friends son is playing up there and says it's just a social gathering of a couple people

Attendance is light but the tailgating on the boulevard is the best in state. The eye candy is very impressive. SMU is the tops in the state for that as well.

I don't think smu fans give 2 fvcks about smu. My friends son is playing up there and says it's just a social gathering of a couple people
I made all the Basketball games here and we always outnumbered the SMU fans by huge amounts and out yelled them as well, and beat them as well.

I made all the Basketball games here and we always outnumbered the SMU fans by huge amounts and out yelled them as well, and beat them as well.

Cool story bro! Those wins didn’t matter as they’re in the AAC and a solid basketball program. Good thing you consider them rivals though, especially since UTEP fans “out number” them at their home games

Reactions: Autograph Boy
It’s a sad state of affairs in UTEPia right now. We are in a watered down conference that we can’t even compete in. We would probably be booted if the other fan bases had a vote. We currently can’t even tread water with NMSUx. UNM is probably their main rival. We are on an island with little success. We are in a sad situation and I don’t think anyone thinks of us - much less thinks of us as a rival.

It’s a sad state of affairs in UTEPia right now. We are in a watered down conference that we can’t even compete in. We would probably be booted if the other fan bases had a vote. We currently can’t even tread water with NMSUx. UNM is probably their main rival. We are on an island with little success. We are in a sad situation and I don’t think anyone thinks of us - much less thinks of us as a rival.

10-15 years ago we were developing good rivalries in the old C-USA. We had big wins over Memphis in Basketball and we were slugging it out with schools like Houston in Football. WTF happened, because NMSU has dominated for the last 5 plus years in both sports.

Reactions: axingfools1
We are in a watered down conference that we can’t even compete in. We would probably be booted if the other fan bases had a vote. We currently can’t even tread water with NMSUx.

Exactly. Floyd would complain about CUSA, but he couldn’t even win it. If UTEP were in the MWC, we would be battling San Jose for last place in basketball and football.

10-15 years ago we were developing good rivalries in the old C-USA. We had big wins over Memphis in Basketball and we were slugging it out with schools like Houston in Football. WTF happened, because NMSU has dominated for the last 5 plus years in both sports.
Stull extended the lifespan of CMP when he should have upgraded after year 5 and CTF was a bust on the recruiting trail to go along with ego/temper problems.

I personally think it's NMSU, TEXAS TECH AND SMU and we aren't even in the same conference.
Tech? Old Borderland foe and fun too hate but that's it.

Current top rivalry

NMSU
Rice
La Tech

Developing into a heated rivalry

UNT
UTSA (They have picked Texas State as their despised rival but steal everything for their identity from UTEP)

Cooling fast as time goes bye rivalry

UNM
BYU
SMU

Rivalry that both schools actually desire privately to be back together (someday)

Wyoming
Colorado State

"F off" never want to see you again, don't know why we were together? rivalry (Old foes who UTEP liked playing but they didn't like playing UTEP)

BYU
Air Force
SDSU
Utah
TCU
Houston
Memphis
Tulsa

Natural fit based on region and communities rivalry

Arizona
NMSU
Texas Tech
UNM

What UTEP fans want rivalry

BYU
Boise State
UNLV
Nevada
SDSU
SMU
Houston
Tulsa
Texas Tech
UNM
Memphis

Slobber knocking, coaches and fans give cheap shots, bats, knives and chains on the field or court if they were allowed rivalry

NMSU
Southern Miss. (We will not forget what you all did to Aaron Jones and we wished Kugler beat the F out of your coach and refs)
ODU (Basketball)
Rice (Kugler bro loved you all and your coach. Wasn't mutual with the UTEP fans)

UTEP fans "Damn, I wish we had their coach!" rivalry

UNT (McCasland)
Marvin Menzies when he was at UNLV and NMSU.
La Tech (Skip Holtz)

Last edited:
Reactions: UTEPMiners8106
How can I forget.....

"We'll pay you good money to come get your ass kicked" rivalry

OU

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT