ADVERTISEMENT

Who do you think will be better

nattybry

MI Miner Maniac
Jul 7, 2003
So the Utep Basketball Team is rounding out with the new pick up of JC transfer Emmanuel White. I wonder if the JC and D1 pick ups and addition of Kennedy being eligible is better than what we lost? I like that 3 of our transfers all played High School together which should help them getting on the same page. I think Terry did an admirable job getting transfers when alot on this board lost complete faith in him. We won't know until they do something on the court of course, but I give Terry props for his recruiting in a tough year with the Pandemic and loss of players.

So the Utep Basketball Team is rounding out with the new pick up of JC transfer Emmanuel White. I wonder if the JC and D1 pick ups and addition of Kennedy being eligible is better than what we lost? I like that 3 of our transfers all played High School together which should help them getting on the same page. I think Terry did an admirable job getting transfers when alot on this board lost complete faith in him. We won't know until they do something on the court of course, but I give Terry props for his recruiting in a tough year with the Pandemic and loss of players.

I hope it works but I hate the way hes trying to build the program. Building a program with transfers in not sustainable. If you're going to try to find a quick fix to get you on to bigger and better things I get it. It's still not a very sound strategy. To build this program I think you have to recruit high school players and develop them sprinkle in a juco or a transfer here and there.

I was worried about the chemistry last year and it was a problem all season. Here we go again with the transfers. He might my find lighting in a bottle with the transfers, however you're more likely to find a flaming bag of shit like he got last year.I certainly hope he wins. I just don't think there is any way you can build sustained success for this program with this recruiting strategy.

I hope it works but I hate the way hes trying to build the program. Building a program with transfers in not sustainable. If you're going to try to find a quick fix to get you on to bigger and better things I get it. It's still not a very sound strategy. To build this program I think you have to recruit high school players and develop them sprinkle in a juco or a transfer here and there.

I was worried about the chemistry last year and it was a problem all season. Here we go again with the transfers. He might my find lighting in a bottle with the transfers, however you're more likely to find a flaming bag of shit like he got last year.I certainly hope he wins. I just don't think there is any way you can build sustained success for this program with this recruiting strategy.
We didn't complain about Gillespie doing it, because it produced results. We'll all agree if Terry takes this team to NCAA we'll be ok with how he did it. He understands the Fan base is no longer patient. So I think he had no choice, but to go the route he did. He's swinging, not sure if he'll connect, but at least he's going for it now!

Reactions: miner1liner
We didn't complain about Gillespie doing it, because it produced results. We'll all agree if Terry takes this team to NCAA we'll be ok with how he did it. He understands the Fan base is no longer patient. So I think he had no choice, but to go the route he did. He's swinging, not sure if he'll connect, but at least he's going for it now!

We didn’t complain because it was two entirely different situations. BG came in August and had to re-build a depleted team with none of his own recruits. He brought in OT and Fili, two highly regarded JC players.

Terry had a complete off-season to bring in his own players and now he’s run most of them off. The 2 JC players he’s brought in had offers from crap schools and will likely be bench players. Terry is trying desperately to win soon, so he doesn’t get fired.

Reactions: Autograph Boy
I'm cautiously optimistic for next year. It's a big deal to make the Texas 6A Finals. Unfortunately Bienemy won't be eligible next year.

Reactions: axingfools1
I'm cautiously optimistic for next year. It's a big deal to make the Texas 6A Finals. Unfortunately Bienemy won't be eligible next year.
Wait?! No decision has been made on Bienemy eligibility or has there been? If so, I missed it.

We didn’t complain because it was two entirely different situations. BG came in August and had to re-build a depleted team with none of his own recruits. He brought in OT and Fili, two highly regarded JC players.

Terry had a complete off-season to bring in his own players and now he’s run most of them off. The 2 JC players he’s brought in had offers from crap schools and will likely be bench players. Terry is trying desperately to win soon, so he doesn’t get fired.
I said if Terry brings this team to the NCAA next year with transfers we won't care how he did it, in response to Minerforlife. Of course Gillespie had us there in year 2, but I'm saying Miner fans had no complaint that he didn't go the long term High School route, because what he produced so quickly and who cares I say If and that's a Big IF Terry does it in year 3.

I said if Terry brings this team to the NCAA next year with transfers we won't care how he did it, in response to Minerforlife. Of course Gillespie had us there in year 2, but I'm saying Miner fans had no complaint that he didn't go the long term High School route, because what he produced so quickly and who cares I say If and that's a Big IF Terry does it in year 3.

You are correct. We don’t give a **** how it happens, just that it does. UTEP has only made 3 tournaments in 28 years, that’s unacceptable!

It's an assumption that he won't be eligible until at least mid semester of the 2020-21 season. The NCAA did not pass the one free transfer rule, he's not a grad student and since he played last year at Oklahoma that makes him equivalent to Gilyard.. So if he's granted a hardship (and who knows what that entails) best case is the earliest he can start is December 2020.

I may be wrong however

It's an assumption that he won't be eligible until at least mid semester of the 2020-21 season. The NCAA did not pass the one free transfer rule, he's not a grad student and since he played last year at Oklahoma that makes him equivalent to Gilyard.. So if he's granted a hardship (and who knows what that entails) best case is the earliest he can start is December 2020.

I may be wrong however
That's not entirely correct. The NCAA may still pass a new rule allowing transfers to play the following year. They did not decline it. They just are waiting to make a decision til next year. Meaning as you said he'll require a waiver, which has a high likely hood of happening and him being eligible right a way or at least December.

Gillespie made one of the best turn arounds in NCAA history after having a hard working, but losing team in year one. We had no choice but to love him because of instant success thereafter.

Terry had the same opportunity and flopped for many reasons. One because of some poor coaching. I dont like the fact that he has a whole 2 high school recruits in 3 recruiting cycles (and he never mentions Onyema). You are right though. If we go the NCAA, I won't care at that moment, but I do care about the future of miner ball. I wonder how much Terry cares about UTEP and how much he just wants to move up?

Who will be better? Year two or upcoming squad? To early to venture. Usually I start forming an opinion when some of you on here sneak into a practice and/or catch their pick up games against each other.

I am expecting a strong year from Williams and as stated previously, he should be the preseason CUSA top dawg. Can't of hard not too when you have a player that attracts triple teams for a whole game. Hope EO has a more under the rim explosive game because he has the strength. Boom, run the offense and composure. Vila needs to come on strong like he did last year and play strong until March. Terry, do not let any team do to UTEP like UNT did in the tournament game: Open up that offense & trade blow for blow. Perimeter D needs to improve since so many in CUSA rely on the 3 ball game. Give BW help inside.

Good question ( and I apologize for the long answer). There was a lot of debate about this after Terry's 1st year. Some thought year 2 and some year 3. There's been some over recruiting. A lot of player changes have happened, but for me the most important issue is not the players, but the coach.

I think Terry has some good players, and he will again. Last year it was enough to win as proven early on. Aside from inconsistent play and poor 3-point shooting in year 2, there was a lack of creative play calling, in-game adjustments, weird player rotations and player favorites. There was an inability to acknowledge coaching mistakes and player volatility. We never knew about injuries. We never really new Terry's gameplan. We heard that players were young and then later in the season players were indirectly thrown under the bus. Responses to the media were sarcastic and twisted back onto the back of those "young" players.

Why did we win early and then lose and then save a tiny bit of face in the end? Was it because Terry's coaching and player antics kicked in midseason? I don't know.

What we did see quickly was that we had a good team. BW was a beast and Edwards could shoot. Lathon was a Swiss army knife. Later we saw that Boum was inconsistent, but he was a killer at the line and could play a hard 40 minutes. We saw that Vila couldn't shoot and couldn't defend. We saw that Efe couldn't jump, but brings some offense. We saw our other big center transfer to the Big 12. We saw that Tarke was out of the equation. We saw that BW was our best player AND he could shoot 3s and freethrows. We saw that Stroud brought excitement and could score quickly. We saw Tydus was raw but could defend and offensive rebound. We saw Lathon's mind wasn't right and that Hawkins was not happy. Finally we saw that Archie was nothing that we expected. All this happened by Christmas.

With an at large bid out the window, Terry should have looked towards improving and peaking during the tournament. He had the whole conference to do this. He also should have known who wanted to stay, who wanted to leave and who should be playing.

Prototypical team is a play maker, a shooter, a finisher, a rim defender and a glue guy. Then there is a 6th man and role players. Everybody defends and everybody rebounds. Then the coach gameplans and makes adjustments with players and in game. Never happened totally, but i think Terry did have the right lineup in the end. He just never made in game adjustments nor did he adjust to the players strengths to get them over the top. He also didn't get deserving players their time.

The last game against Marshall really exposed Terry's inability to adjust (specifically on defense), but it showed we had the right lineup.

This year Terry needs to find his lineup quickly and stick with it. Everybody needs to understand their role. He needs to gameplan towards his team's strengths and attack his opponent's weaknesses. If we get waivers we will be better just because of Bienemy alone. Other than that I will say this years team will be better. Less player drama and more experience, but they will only go as far as Terry will take them.

Last edited:
Love it axe. Will Bienemy be our next Stone or JWash? He has that reputation coming from Big XII.

Love it axe. Will Bienemy be our next Stone or JWash? He has that reputation coming from Big XII.
Man I don't know. Stone was taken for granted because of the stars around him, but how would those teams have done without his playmaking, his leadership and his D? Big shoes to fill, but Bienemy could be the next big PG we need.

Painfull to see players come and go, and Terry's coaching my be suspect but he is being active in trying to fix the problem in a way he see's is best. If next years team performs as last years team did we all know what the problem is. If they show improvement means he is on the right course. As a fan I really don't care how he goes about improving this program, just that he does. If he can't then we look for someone else, end of story. Same rules for players, football or any other sport.

Reactions: MINER.JAY
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT