ADVERTISEMENT

Who do you want as UTEP OC and DC

The comment was made that there will probably only be 12 Seniors on the roster next year, so if they can show tangible improvement this year then we might have a chance at an upward trend the following year as well.

Our new OC made a comment along the lines of stating that our offensive talent should have produced more than it did last year. That basically summarizes all of our concerns regarding Dimel running the offense. As mentioned above, will the new coordinator change have any impact on production with Dimel still running the offense?, or will it continue to underperform?

I understand the love for Praise, and he is one of best players, but I actually feel like Stewart is our best d-lineman. With Stewart, Praise, and Moss I honestly think we have one of our better d-lines in a long time and they are our best defensive unit. Our new DC stated that we are going to play 4 down lineman(which I like), but we need to find that high quality DE who can become our 4th d-lineman. I believe that JT has the best chance to become that player, but he was a bit underwhelming last year. I guess the hope is that last year was his transition year from JC, so maybe he can produce more now that he has that year already under his belt

Our LB's last year were nothing special, but with that being said I actually think that Dimel has possibly built a decent group here. The size and athleticism on both our D-line and LB's are both upgrades from when Dimel first got here. Forester won't be back, but the hope is that we can upgrade his spot at least based on size and speed. I think Hayward, Knight, and Theard have the potential to form decent LB group after they all had their first year adjustment last season. They will all need to take a step forward though.

At RB, I have not heard or read Fields name, when projecting next seasons RB group. Respectfully, that would be welcome news, as Hankins, Awatt, Eldridge and possibly Wadley(if healthy) have enough quality to obsorb all of the carries.

At the end of the day, Dimel's first game is an absolute must win, so he is now in a position where there is no other acceptable metric that he can be graded on. Beat NMSU and he can then work towards accomplishing some other signs of improvement. Lose to NMSU and his show is over, unless he is held through the end of the season and puts up some type of magical season ending run.
Solid analysis UTEPD. Along with all you mentioned, to me, the key is how Dimel plans to use Hardison. His offense is just not effective without a running threat at QB. Last season, Dimel mentioned that Hardison can indeed run, but he did not want to risk getting him injured. I'm not buying that. Perhaps that is one of the reasons he brought in the big JC QB. If I was the new OC, I am looking for a way to adapt Dimel's offense to take advantage of Hardison's strengths. If not, I see another season similar to last year.

Last edited:
Does anybody think Brownholtz or one of the new guys can challenge Hardison?

I thought more highly of Hardison early on, but that just faded away. I still think Dimel's offense would work with a good dual threat QB.

Reactions: Lil_Train

I thought more highly of Hardison early on, but that just faded away. I still think Dimel's offense would work with a good dual threat QB.

I like that Hardison is not a dual threat QB because that means Dimel can’t emphasize the RPOs like then Locksley was under center. I’d rather have his lack of mobility and arm as opposed to someone like Locksley’s legs and arm.

You have to think that Dimel brought in Hurley out of JC to at least compete for some playing time. As a dual threat QB he is obviously a better fit for the RPO. I could see some of Hurley in the wildcat with the option to actually pass the ball out of that formation.

I don't see Hardison losing his starting job. His arm is NFL level and that you don't keep on the sideline. He does need to work on short yards as he tends to throw a 90 mph fast ball that are hard to catch with a defender on your back.

Brownholtz does get you the 3rd & short conversions because he is physically strong and tall.

Efficiency is key. That's why Dimel is stinking against average FBS teams. The RPO demands efficient plays to keep chains moving because it is not a deep play or quick strike offense as compared to high octane offenses that can sputter but suddenly can hit 5th gear later in the game.

For example. You're inside your 40. It's 1st and 10. Dimel goes run. 2nd and 5 at best. Dimel goes quick out pass....dropped pass! 3rd and 5. Opposing D coordinator goes heavy inside to stop run. 4 and 1...punt. Or, if Hardison audibles for quick slant (which he did often) he throws it hard and low inside to the only spot where his target can catch. He throws it so hard it's incomplete. That's the inefficiency of the RPO when you don't have a true RPO qb.

Reactions: Lil_Train
I don't see Hardison losing his starting job. His arm is NFL level and that you don't keep on the sideline. He does need to work on short yards as he tends to throw a 90 mph fast ball that are hard to catch with a defender on your back.

Brownholtz does get you the 3rd & short conversions because he is physically strong and tall.

Efficiency is key. That's why Dimel is stinking against average FBS teams. The RPO demands efficient plays to keep chains moving because it is not a deep play or quick strike offense as compared to high octane offenses that can sputter but suddenly can hit 5th gear later in the game.

A 54% completion percentage with 5 TDs and 5 INTs is far from an NFL arm. That’s not even an all conference arm at this point.

Reactions: Taco1977
If UTEP loses to NMSU and Bethune Cookman starting 0-2 then you are looking at a 0-12, 1-11 or 2-10 season with Dimel not surviving the season, IMO. The first two games are must wins for UTEP to have a shot at a respectable record or a bowl game.

A 54% completion percentage with 5 TDs and 5 INTs is far from an NFL arm. That’s not even an all conference arm at this point.

I think Hardison is much better than his stats indicate. Keep in mind that his coaching is probably subpar when compared to other college QBs and he is playing in a sterile and uninventive hybrid offensive system that is taylored his inability to run the football.

If UTEP loses to NMSU and Bethune Cookman starting 0-2 then you are looking at a 0-12, 1-11 or 2-10 season with Dimel not surviving the season, IMO. The first two games are must wins for UTEP to have a shot at a respectable record or a bowl game.

It would be awesome if the Bethune Cookman Band came

If UTEP loses to NMSU and BCU, Dismel should be fired as he leaves the field.

Reactions: utep-piggy

This is the same guy who claimed El Paso was “CRT’s town” and that UTEP was “beating up Utah St at halftime” during the New Mexico Bowl that they were losing 14-3 at that point.

I think Hardison is much better than his stats indicate. Keep in mind that his coaching is probably subpar when compared to other college QBs and he is playing in a sterile and uninventive hybrid offensive system that is taylored his inability to run the football.

We wont have a good season till we develop a D1 level QB. Not sure he has the abilities to become that QB. Accuracy doesn't usually all of a sudden get better for QBs at this level.

We wont have a good season till we develop a D1 level QB. Not sure he has the abilities to become that QB. Accuracy doesn't usually all of a sudden get better for QBs at this level.

I think Hardison’s completion percentage last season was negatively skewed by Dimel’s poor short and intermediate passing scheme and Dimel’s vanilla play calling. The tight end was also neglected most of last season. A good QB coach and offensive scheme could fix many of Hardisons shortcomings.

Reactions: axingfools1
I think Hardison’s completion percentage last season was negatively skewed by Dimel’s poor short and intermediate passing scheme and Dimel’s vanilla play calling. The tight end was also neglected most of last season. A good QB coach and offensive scheme could fix many of Hardisons shortcomings.

Dimel's play calling wasn't that bad. The player execution was terrible. There were plenty of times guys were running wide open and either the ball was thrown off target or forced to someone that wasn't open. That's not on the play calling. The new QB coach will help with the QB execution, but there's only so much one man can do if the talent isn't there. Hardison seems to be a good leader and hopefully the rest of his game will come along. I just don't think it's very probable.

I don’t think Hardison is an awful QB but at the same time time I don’t think UTEP should go into this season believing QB is locked down either. I hope he’s working hard with the WR corps because the way this offense is set up they can’t afford to have errant throws or drops which is something that hurt them last year.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT