ADVERTISEMENT

Who do you want as UTEP OC and DC

I guess there could be some that might buy season tickets because his name is Rodriguez and we are in El Paso. I really don't care about the race of the coach either way. I just want to win. Again, I thought Wisconsin's response to you was sarcastic.

I think we need a splash hire. Do you think Rich Rod fits the bill?
I don’t care what their name or skin color is. All I care about is their W/L record and at which schools.

IMO a resume like his is a splash hire. Coaches I would have liked that I didn’t think we could get but probably could have if we tried.

Sonny Dykes
Jim McElwain
Kevin Sumlin
Rich Rodriguez

No spin necessary. Apparently you have decided to be offended. Fine with me.

Danny Garcia was just promoted by Senter as Senior Associate AD. Thats a title normally seen when someone later gets an AD job and thats the kind of hire needed at UTEP.
I’m not offended. I’m 100% Mexican and even I know that’s a load of crap.

Danny Garcia as AD. Continue filling the coaching positions and roster spots. According to you there are plenty of Mexican Hispanic coaches and players so this should be relatively easy.

Danny Garcia as AD. Continue filling the coaching positions and roster spots. According to you there are plenty of Mexican Hispanic coaches and players so this should be relatively easy.

I think the reason utep students and El Paso don't connect with UTEP has noting to do with having Hispanic coaches and administrators. It's much more complex.

People screamed for years if UTEP recruited local players attendance would jump. It didn't we all witnessed that.

Hiring all Hispanic administrators and coaches won't solve the issue either.

Didn't say it would be easy, just that a strong effort should be made in that direction. I don't know who the coaches might be but UTSA did find an Hispanic AD and she is doing well. UNLV and UNM both found Hispanic head coaches. If they can why not UTEP?

I think the reason utep students and El Paso don't connect with UTEP has noting to do with having Hispanic coaches and administrators. It's much more complex.

People screamed for years if UTEP recruited local players attendance would jump. It didn't we all witnessed that.

Hiring all Hispanic administrators and coaches won't solve the issue either.

El Paso is a bandwagon town when it comes to Sports. They will support you when you win. Period.

The other thing El Paso is, a city where people go because its 'in' and they want to be seen or have the background for Social Media. I know people who got Metallica tickets who didn't know a single song. Thats also why tailgating was such a big deal, because it was the 'in' thing to do on a Saturday and you wanted to visit your friends parties as well. El Paso supports social over sports.

UTEP does not have the relationship with the City to which the community will give blind support. There are some of who do that, but not enough to rely upon it.

I dont think that just because Ryan Metz is the starting QB, that the city all of a sudden shows up. A UTEP game is too much of a hassle to go to just because you like the coach or a player. You must be the place to be and a winner.

.....The other thing El Paso is, a city where people go because its 'in' and they want to be seen or have the background for Social Media. I know people who got Metallica tickets who didn't know a single song.

Amen.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Gotta say, this new trend of non-metal fans wearing vintage metal T&#39;s if pretty sickening. Metal is not ironic! Dicks.</p>&mdash; Dee Snider🇺🇸 (@deesnider) <a href="">October 17, 2017</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Perhaps he’ll be able to snag some of the kids he’s recruited to A&M that won’t quite make the cut there, but who he’s built a good relationship with.

Or some kids that are already at A&M that are looking for more pt and looking to transfer.

Reactions: axingfools1
Perhaps he’ll be able to snag some of the kids he’s recruited to A&M that won’t quite make the cut there, but who he’s built a good relationship with.

Or some kids that are already at A&M that are looking for more pt and looking to transfer.
Maybe a few DBs, a LB, QB and a TE would be good.

At this point the 3th string QB at A&M (Haynes King) would be an instant starter here.

UTEP should only hire Hispanics from now on and not just any Hispanic. They should only hire Hispanics specifically of Mexican heritage. That will ensure full athletic venues and athletic success.

UTEP should also only recruit athletes of Mexican heritage because El Paso will then love the UTEP athletic teams.

Aren't we supposed to say "latinx" now?

Reactions: kickballpro
I was serious so why are you pissed?

Look, EP is over 80% Hispanic and that is reflected in UTEP's enrollment. The hiring of Hispanics might have been a bit overstated by me but it should be at least a very prominent part of hiring and recruiting. The majority of EP and UTEP students would identify closer with UTEP athletics.

You can't tell me that Hispanic coaches and players are not available to get the job done and done well.

So be pissed all you want but I believe it would work and should be tried.

That is ridiculous!! We should hire the best man for the job even if his skin color is PINK.... I don’t care where he comes from... if a damn Martian came in from Area 51 and could get 40 ppg sign him up... people who focus on looks instead of skill is ridiculous

L

Hasn’t been a coordinator since the early 2000’s and was on Dimel’s winless Houston team as a staffer in 2001.

Dimel is a jackass when it comes to managing a football program. And Jim Senter is the worst AD in all of FBS.
What’s Barone up to these days? Maybe Dimel can get the band together from their winless season at UH.

L

Hasn’t been a coordinator since the early 2000’s and was on Dimel’s winless Houston team as a staffer in 2001.

Dimel is a jackass when it comes to managing a football program. And Jim Senter is the worst AD in all of FBS.

He's been in the SEC the last 8 years. Think he knows a thing or 2. I wouldn't dismiss him too quickly.

Reactions: Taco1977
He's been in the SEC the last 8 years. Think he knows a thing or 2. I wouldn't dismiss him too quickly.
Dimel and Mike Cox were in the Big 12 for a good min, and UTEP won one conference game with both of them on a staff in three seasons. P5 experience no matter what conference means nothing when you take a job at UTEP, scheme and what have you done lately In recruiting should be strengths, not because Dimel knows them and well they been in the SEC on an average defensive unit/program for nearly a decade. Get real, Dimel has no clue how to fix this mess.

Why does UTEP always have to offer opportunities to unproven personal?

Dimel and Mike Cox were in the Big 12 for a good min, and UTEP won one conference game with both of them on a staff in three seasons. P5 experience no matter what conference means nothing when you take a job at UTEP, scheme and what have you done lately In recruiting should be strengths, not because Dimel knows them and well they been in the SEC on an average defensive unit/program for nearly a decade. Get real, Dimel has no clue how to fix this mess.

I'm just saying see what they can do first. We had Brent Pease under Kugler and lost every game. Pease was at Florida and Boise.

Give them a chance. When you got hired and put a staple on your desk, did anyone say, here's the new guy, I already know he sucks.

Reactions: Roy_Bigwood_05
I'm just saying see what they can do first. We had Brent Pease under Kugler and lost every game. Pease was at Florida and Boise.

Give them a chance. When you got hired and put a staple on your desk, did anyone say, here's the new guy, I already know he sucks.
I get what you’re saying, but that’s not my point think you took my dissing to him as a shot at him.

My point is Dimel and Senter keep on this retread hiring process and it’s proven that it doesn’t work here at UTEP. Great point in Pease but.... Who was the OC before Pease? Patrick Higgins who was a terrible OC before in almost the same circumstances.

im Sure the dude is a good ball coach, but it’s a lazy ass hire giving his old buddies one more final pay day than actually trying to make real changes and improvement for the future of the football program.

It’s a long shot, but it shows how bad the program is when no names were leaked, did UTEP even try to reach out Charlie Strong? Did Dimel ask for a bigger assistant coach salary pool? Or did he do the cheap thing and hire old friends?

that’s more of my point is it’s a lazy ass hire, UTEP is alway in wait and see mode, why can’t they hire a proven somebody who has a resume that includes recent success?

So here's two initial concerns that I see:

1.) Dimel says in the release: ""Dave is going to be a great communicator for our offense and quarterbacks." That doesn't sound like Dimel will be handing him the offense, that quote sounds more like Dimel will still be running the offense and Dave will be the puppet just communicating the plays, the same way that Canales was.

2.) One of the biggest red flags with Canales, was that when you looked at his resume, he had a long resume, but for the majority of his resume, he was on a lot of offenses that finished very poorly in the offensive standings. UTEP again mentions all of Dave's coaching history in the release, but listed very few references to successful production, so I went back to the last 3 years that he was Co-OC at Michigan State and here is what they produced:

2018- Michigan State finished with the 126th total offense in America. UTEP finished that year at #127.

2017- Michigan State finished with the 96th total offense in America.

2016 - Michigan State finished with the 104th total offense in America. By comparison, UTEP finished that year substantially better at #85.

1.) Dimel says in the release: ""Dave is going to be a great communicator for our offense and quarterbacks." That doesn't sound like Dimel will be handing him the offense, that quote sounds more like Dimel will still be running the offense and Dave will be the puppet just communicating the plays, the same way that Canales was.

2.) One of the biggest red flags with Canales, was that when you looked at his resume, he had a long resume, but for the majority of his resume, he was on a lot of offenses that finished very poorly in the offensive standings. UTEP again mentions all of Dave's coaching history in the release, but listed very few references to successful production, so I went back to the last 3 years that he was Co-OC at Michigan State and here is what they produced:

2018- Michigan State finished with the 126th total offense in America. UTEP finished that year at #127.

2016 - Michigan State finished with the 104th total offense in America. By comparison, UTEP finished that year substantially better at #85.
Bingo.

When some universities go winless they go out and hire former successful P5 coaches. When UTEP goes winless we go out and look for a HC and his coordinators from a team that went winless. I guess it makes sense. Hire a loser to revive a loser program.

There is definitely a lot of concern with these hires. Is he playing buddy ball or is Dimel trying to cash out him and his boys one last time.

Dave Warner at a minimum should get the QBs to be able to throw intermediate passes with regularity. He worked wonders with some not so great QBs at MSU. Hopefully, he can do the same with what we have. Hell, he might even be able to pull a QB out of Arizona that MSU was passing on.

Reactions: EMA884
I’m certainly not excited about either guy but can they be worse than Cox or Canales? Maybe they can bring in 1 or 2 recruits and we can see from there.

There is definitely a lot of concern with these hires. Is he playing buddy ball or is Dimel trying to cash out him and his boys one last time.
The OC is taking a huge pay cut. At one point he was the highest paid assistant at MSU. Last year he made 517k. I think Canales was under 200k.

It’s a long shot, but it shows how bad the program is when no names were leaked, did UTEP even try to reach out Charlie Strong? Did Dimel ask for a bigger assistant coach salary pool? Or did he do the cheap thing and hire old friends?
Charlie would be a great addition, but...how’s he gonna leave that kush rehab center in Tuscaloosa! Sumlin is rumored to be going there, Bill O’Brien, etc.
And if the players loved DD for being a players-coach, they’d hate Charlie for how strict he runs his program.

I predicted Dimel would hire a puppet that is exactly what he hired. Dimel is going to continue to run one of the worst and ineffective offensive systems in the country. Why? Because he has a guaranteed contract. He doesn’t have to improve the offense, he’s going to get paid anyway.

Reactions: Roy_Bigwood_05
I predicted Dimel would hire a puppet that is exactly what he hired. Dimel is going to continue to run one of the worst and ineffective offensive systems in the country. Why? Because he has a guaranteed contract. He doesn’t have to improve the offense, he’s going to get paid anyway.

Has there ever been a head coach that hired assistants that ran systems they hated and didn't want to run? Hired insubordinate coaches?

Coaches hire coaches they can work with

[QUOTE="Roy_Bigwood_05, post: 164200, member: 3545"

[/QUOTE]
You guys are crazy. LOL... did we even try and reach out to Charlie Strong. Charlie would have broken ribs from laughing so hard after UTEP calls him to see if he would like to be their new DC.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT