ADVERTISEMENT

Who was Uteps best shooting big man??

FiliUTEP

MI Miner Maniac
Feb 1, 2010
only shooters i can think of is Hooper Vint and Jeremy Sampson. I started watching like in the 90s.

Brandon Wolfram.

For mid range, yes? He was something around 60% from the floor. I know this wasn’t the question but I don’t remember him being efficient from beyond the arc.

While he only chunked up a couple per game, Quinten Gates shot over 45% from 3 if I remember correctly, as strange as his form was.

Reactions: develman
For mid range, yes? He was something around 60% from the floor. I know this wasn’t the question but I don’t remember him being efficient from beyond the arc.

While he only chunked up a couple per game, Quinten Gates shot over 45% from 3 if I remember correctly, as strange as his form was.
Good points FanatiCoog. I guess I really never considered Gates as a big man in the traditional sense. To me, Wolfram came in as a true interior player who expanded his game each year he was here. As a senior, I thought he was nearly unstoppable, and yet highly efficient offensively; including being an outstanding free throw shooter. Based on his overall game, I would probably take Wolfram over every other UTEP big man over the last 20-30 years; with the exceptions of Caracter and Moultrie, assuming they would have played at UTEP all four years.

In terms of of a big man who could shoot threes effectively, based on Fili's timeframe, I am at a loss to really come up with many names that I would consider above average.

Reactions: MineroFanatico
Yeah im talking about 3 point shooting. I guess the 3 point shooting big man is only a NBA thing. As bad as Vint was he the only that was brought in to shoot 3s. I forgot about Character .

Yeah im talking about 3 point shooting. I guess the 3 point shooting big man is only a NBA thing. As bad as Vint was he the only that was brought in to shoot 3s. I forgot about Character .
Gotcha Fili. I guess the good news is that next year we may have a guy to fit the bill in Eric Vila. Right now, he is shooting about 35% from downtown, which I believe would lead our current group of fine shooters on this year's team. ;) It will be interesting if next year Vila can perform similarly or even improve his percentages versus D1 defenses.

He didn't take that many threes, but when he did, I always felt it had a good chance going in. I seem to remember he would take one or two a game. The thing is, you don't want your big men spending too much time outside the arc. They're best used trying to get the ball inside. But I do remember Wolf making a good chunk of the threes he took. I'll have to see if I can find his stats...

Reactions: Lil_Train
Brandon Wolfram shot 36% from three, according to these stats:

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/brandon-wolfram-1.html

That is excellent. He didn't take them that often, but I definitely remember I was always ready to stand up and cheer whenever he did. It seems he took more of them as a junior than as a senior. The man's role was inside the perimeter, not outside, so he wasn't often in position to take them.

Dave Feitl (deadly turnaround from 15 in and around the FT line). Close second Wolfram (listed at 6-9 but likely about 6-7 and was a pure forward, but forced to play center but had a great midrange jumper and a little bit of range). Close third Mike Richmond (sweet high ark lefty, who could get a 10-15 foot shot off against almost anyone with a soft touch)

Reactions: jamasterj
Good points FanatiCoog. I guess I really never considered Gates as a big man in the traditional sense. To me, Wolfram came in as a true interior player who expanded his game each year he was here. As a senior, I thought he was nearly unstoppable, and yet highly efficient offensively; including being an outstanding free throw shooter. Based on his overall game, I would probably take Wolfram over every other UTEP big man over the last 20-30 years; with the exceptions of Caracter and Moultrie, assuming they would have played at UTEP all four years.

In terms of of a big man who could shoot threes effectively, based on Fili's timeframe, I am at a loss to really come up with many names that I would consider above average.

Put that way I think you’re right. I guess I just assumed any front court player is what fili meant by big man. For whatever reason, I also interpreted the question to mean long range game, even though that wasn’t specified. I really had to stretch to come up with anyone at all who fit the bill and I just remember Gates being pretty lights out from 3 the 1 or 2 years that the 3 existed during his playing days. I honestly think he shot 47% from behind the arc. Anyway...

There’s no doubt that wolfram was a great player. For some reason I only remember his interior play and mid range game, which were beyond deadly.

I’m with you, there are not many Miners I’d put before him based upon overall game.

Reactions: Lil_Train
Brandon Wolfram shot 36% from three, according to these stats:

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/brandon-wolfram-1.html

That is excellent. He didn't take them that often, but I definitely remember I was always ready to stand up and cheer whenever he did. It seems he took more of them as a junior than as a senior. The man's role was inside the perimeter, not outside, so he wasn't often in position to take them.

Yeah, 36% is pretty damn good for a big. That he only averaged less than half an attempt per game is obviously why I don’t remember his range very well. That and it was a time where it was damn near impossible to catch Miner games living outside EP.

Last edited:
Marvin Washington (yes, the NY Jets DE from UTEP) shot 53%. Not bad for a UTEP baller who went to the NFL. He only scored a few points with a total of 27 attempts.:p

He may not fit the bill but my man Jeremy Williams was a legit 6'7" and shot about 40% from 3 at UTEP. That kid Duruji from La Tech reminded me of him big time. Loved his game.

I'm hoping Tarke and/or Stroud can fit the bill!

David Van Dyke. He made one 3 in his career to give UTEP a 3 point win over Wyoming at the buzzer. Point spread was 2 and 1/2. He owes me.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT