ADVERTISEMENT

Who will be our QB?

nattybry

MI Miner Maniac
Jul 7, 2003
Left which is taking the first team snaps, but seams like Simpson has had a much better camp. Let's see what Kugler does.

Leftwich has thrown too many interceptions in camp imho. I hope Simpson steps up and takes the position away from him. At 5'9", he's just too small to get the ball over the line.

Reactions: MINER63
Leftwich has thrown too many interceptions in camp imho. I hope Simpson steps up and takes the position away from him. At 5'9", he's just too small to get the ball over the line.

You would think it was a done deal. Doesn't look that way though.

I think Simpson will be the starter. I think Johnson will be the wild cat and short yardage qb getting about eight snaps a game. Leftwich will be the backup, and Metz will be moved to receiver or tight end where he will contribute immediately.

Leftwich reminds me of Wilson of the Seahawks - too short to play in the NFL, but he made it up with lots of football savvy and a whole lot of grit! This is what this kid brings to the Miner table and I think Kugler and his staff recognize these talents. It will be interesting to see the final outcome.

I think Simpson will be the starter. I think Johnson will be the wild cat and short yardage qb getting about eight snaps a game. Leftwich will be the backup, and Metz will be moved to receiver or tight end where he will contribute immediately.

Let's hope that's scenario. Check that. I'm praying that's the scenario with the QBs.

Leftwich reminds me of Wilson of the Seahawks - too short to play in the NFL, but he made it up with lots of football savvy and a whole lot of grit! This is what this kid brings to the Miner table and I think Kugler and his staff recognize these talents. It will be interesting to see the final outcome.

I hear you, but that's about the only thing they have in common is their height. I watched Leftwich during the spring game and a QB with Jim Everett happy feet has never produced consistently. He's fast enough for a QB, but accuracy and having clear passing lanes is going to be problematic. Live games are nothing like scrimmage games and going full throttle to start off with in Arkansas is going to be a major test. Not just for the offense, but for him. The Razorbacks front four are big and athletic. Don't forget, shorter QBs tend to do a lot better from the gun and not necessarily under center (unless you're running the Option, Wing T or Wishbone). UTEP doesn't run a spread offense. Elements, yes, but not enough to compensate.

I hope Leftwich IS savvy and I hope he's developed Tomahawk accuracy. We'll find out very quickly if he hasn't. If he becomes the starter, it won't be with a long leash. Let a few of his passes get swatted and I'm confident Simpson goes in.

Reactions: shyminer81
Coaches from the bleachers, love it. Give it a break

When you get off that Madden game controller and put on a helmet, some cleats, get a little dirty, shed a little blood, and maybe just maybe, get off the bench you can add something to the conversation. Otherwise, please continue to watch from the couch while those that have either played the game and-or coached it discuss QBs.

Well, I wasn't able to make it to either camp so will have to defer to you guys that did. If Simpson was running with the first team and had the better camp he is logical choice....I was never able to determine through articles and interviews who was running the second and third teams....

I don't think the Arkansas game will be my litmus test for the QB's....or the team. Hoping for no injuries....Kugler seems to have a good grasp at this coaching thing, so will just fall in and let him lead.....Go Miners!

OHHHH NOOOO, somebody who can contact Kugler please do so and tell him to read this thread right away. These arm chair coaches know everything. I am positive Kugler has no intention to start the best QB that gives him the best chance to win and maybe this thread will convince him who the best QB on the team is. I am just scared Kugler might decide to start the 3rd best QB on the team.

Reactions: MinerJo
Well, I wasn't able to make it to either camp so will have to defer to you guys that did. If Simpson was running with the first team and had the better camp he is logical choice....I was never able to determine through articles and interviews who was running the second and third teams....

It's a hard one. Both had their ups and downs. IMO, Simpson, overall, is probably the better choice. Of course this isn't taking into account how fast they process their pre set reads, or overall knowledge of the offense.

I don't think the Arkansas game will be my litmus test for the QB's....or the team. Hoping for no injuries....Kugler seems to have a good grasp at this coaching thing, so will just fall in and let him lead.....Go Miners!

Yes he does. But even the best coaches sometimes makes mistakes. Arkansas is an important game for the program and if you think it isn't - here's several reasons why.

1. Win or lose, UTEP will be on a national stage. A good showing helps give the program the exposure it deserves. Everyone in the industry is familiar with the work he's done and are keeping an eye on the program. A good showing has implications far down the road for the program and the school.

2. The Arkansas game has the potential to set the tempo for the rest of the season. A hard fought game builds confidence. A blowout loss has the opposite effect. With Texas Tech the following week, it's ups the anti and serves notice to them and the rest of the conference.

3. Player buy-in. Kugler has built his entire tenure with a plan to reshape the program. In no short order, their toughness. If Leftwich goes out and stinks up the joint and Kugler sticks with him all game because it's not a litmus test, you can bet the farm the locker room gets split. Even more if Leftwichs pass are being constantly swatted.

We'll see how it goes.

OHHHH NOOOO, somebody who can contact Kugler please do so and tell him to read this thread right away. These arm chair coaches know everything. I am positive Kugler has no intention to start the best QB that gives him the best chance to win and maybe this thread will convince him who the best QB on the team is. I am just scared Kugler might decide to start the 3rd best QB on the team.

I say throw a curve into the whole process and start the kicker at QB.

There is far more to the quarterback position than throwing the ball. Especially in the system Kuglar has shown so far. That being said, yes, of course you have to be able to move the yard sticks when needed through the air. That was the big Achilles last year. However, a QB with an accurate monster arm is of no use if he can't make his reads and check offs. I'm prepared for some hair pulling, but hopefully not too much.

Reactions: Tribalwarriorx
Its a Miner Blog, these types of things are supposed to be asked of our team? Do u even understand what a Team blog is? The very epitome of it, is to discuss something like this, I've noticed you've fallen into the trap of troll and instead of contributing anything positive, you simply derail blogs with negative sarcasm, lol That's fine, but do it on someone's else's thread, this was a very simple thread to see what people thought based on what they've either saw up close and personal or read.

I am not sure size is that big a deal. Probably will only throw it 20 times. If they are anticipating the run, who ever it is may have time to throw.

Yes he does. But even the best coaches sometimes makes mistakes. Arkansas is an important game for the program and if you think it isn't - here's several reasons why.

1. Win or lose, UTEP will be on a national stage. A good showing helps give the program the exposure it deserves. Everyone in the industry is familiar with the work he's done and are keeping an eye on the program. A good showing has implications far down the road for the program and the school.

2. The Arkansas game has the potential to set the tempo for the rest of the season. A hard fought game builds confidence. A blowout loss has the opposite effect. With Texas Tech the following week, it's ups the anti and serves notice to them and the rest of the conference.

3. Player buy-in. Kugler has built his entire tenure with a plan to reshape the program. In no short order, their toughness. If Leftwich goes out and stinks up the joint and Kugler sticks with him all game because it's not a litmus test, you can bet the farm the locker room gets split. Even more if Leftwichs pass are being constantly swatted.

We'll see how it goes.
Arkansas is a good SEC team. We are going to get blown out by at least 30 points. I hope we keep it close but its just not going to happen. And this game gives us very little national exposure. Its on ESPN U so pretty much the only people watching will be UTEP and Arkansas fans. If Arkansas bows us out starting in the 2nd quarter nobody will be watching the game. Plus there are 12 other games on at the same time. Auburn vs. Louisville, UCLA vs. Virginia, BYU vs. Nebraska games are on at the same time. Most people will be watching these games.

Arkansas is a good SEC team. We are going to get blown out by at least 30 points. I hope we keep it close but its just not going to happen. And this game gives us very little national exposure. Its on ESPN U so pretty much the only people watching will be UTEP and Arkansas fans. If Arkansas bows us out starting in the 2nd quarter nobody will be watching the game. Plus there are 12 other games on at the same time. Auburn vs. Louisville, UCLA vs. Virginia, BYU vs. Nebraska games are on at the same time. Most people will be watching these games.

Epsilon this thread is about who is going to be our QB.
Can you comprehend!

Go Miners...

Arkansas is a good SEC team yes, but that doesn't mean they can't be beat. History is littered with the teeth of the overconfident.

Any game on ESPN provides national exposure. This isn't being broadcast by a regional station or affiliate and only for EP and Ark audiences.

If UTEP is getting blown by 30 in the second quarter, I'd expect for people to change the channel. I would.

Can you comprehend!

Go Miners...
Since I put all of the antagonists on "ignore", I seem
Can you comprehend!

Go Miners...
Since I put all of the "Topic Busters" on ignore...it's been much more enjoyable. Don't miss epsi, carlosi or whlnypup.

Reactions: T-6 Miner
"Dead even? Ha, if your dad is a coach on the team I'm so sure it's dead even. It's a shame Kugler is going to start Leftwich bc he is his son's friend and bc of Leftwich's father. The guy had ZERO D1 offers coming out of HS. Total BS move by Kug & Co."

Swiped this off the Den...I TOTALLY agree! I have been saying the EXACT same thing for months.

Simpson should be the QB...Period....

I've seen no evidence whatsoever that Leftwich is going to be the starting QB based solely on being a coaches son. That's a hell of a reach.

Reactions: minerdear
Kugler said the QB battle between Leftwich and Simpson was dead even at this point. He never said Leftwich was the starter. No reason to start crying about how Leftwich is the starter because his dad is on the coaching staff. I thought a true fan never questions anything and supports the players and team no matter what. Kugler is going to go with the guy who gives us the best chance to win games, and he isn't going to lose games because he wants to please a coach on the team. Kugler isn't going to give anything away about who the starting QB is going to be until the first snap of the Arkansas game. He will keep Arkansas guessing who it will be.

Reactions: El Paso Chihuahuas
Kugler said the QB battle between Leftwich and Simpson was dead even at this point. He never said Leftwich was the starter. No reason to start crying about how Leftwich is the starter because his dad is on the coaching staff. I thought a true fan never questions anything and supports the players and team no matter what. Kugler is going to go with the guy who gives us the best chance to win games, and he isn't going to lose games because he wants to please a coach on the team. Kugler isn't going to give anything away about who the starting QB is going to be until the first snap of the Arkansas game. He will keep Arkansas guessing who it will be.
Are you BiPolar? A legit question? This post is right on point and on subject, but some of yours are just sarcastic dribble. Whichever personality wrote this, should stick around I kinda like him.

"Dead even? Ha, if your dad is a coach on the team I'm so sure it's dead even. It's a shame Kugler is going to start Leftwich bc he is his son's friend and bc of Leftwich's father. The guy had ZERO D1 offers coming out of HS. Total BS move by Kug & Co."

Swiped this off the Den...I TOTALLY agree! I have been saying the EXACT same thing for months.

Simpson should be the QB...Period....

Totally agree. I'm sure he'd like to hand over the keys but the eye in the sky don't lie and Simpson has from all accounts, out performed him. From my understanding the politics hasn't stopped at the QB spot.

Of course he's saying that to the press, for obvious reasons. No one ever said Kugler wasn't cagey. However, internally, I'm guessing a decision has already been made. Again, I hope not. But you'll know by next week for certain cause whomever it is will be getting the lion's share of the reps.

My understanding from being in Ruidoso last week is that Leftwich is the smartest QB on the team with the best football savvy and fundamentals re: plays and playbook. That said, Simpson had a great camp. I do think it will be a tough decision and I am glad I don't have to make it.

Who can get the ball safely into the hands of the receivers and running backs without making mistakes and who can make plays with their feet when needed. That's who should be the starter and Kugler will make a decision based on those things not who's daddy is a coach. I don't know what impression of Kugler makes anyone think he'd make a cowardly decision thats not best for the team to please a position coach, that's Freaking Stupid to even Suggest!

Reactions: wziminer
My understanding from being in Ruidoso last week is that Leftwich is the smartest QB on the team with the best football savvy and fundamentals re: plays and playbook. That said, Simpson had a great camp. I do think it will be a tough decision and I am glad I don't have to make it.

Even though I know who I'd rather have to start, it won't be an easy decision for either QB to accept.

Who can get the ball safely into the hands of the receivers and running backs without making mistakes and who can make plays with their feet when needed. That's who should be the starter and Kugler will make a decision based on those things not who's daddy is a coach. I don't know what impression of Kugler makes anyone think he'd make a cowardly decision thats not best for the team to please a position coach, that's Freaking Stupid to even Suggest!

It's happened enough that people don't put it past any coach. Not even Kugler. FYI, politics in football always exists and there's no reason to believe it doesn't exist at UTEP.

The way i see Leftwich is a better leader, his teamates love him and rave about his leadership. Simpson has the stroger arm and has the ability to stretch the defense vertically. Kug though isnt a fan of the poor reads he makes from time to time. I think by the numbers it is extremely close. I would lean to Simpson because of our deep threats but i wouldnt be suprised if leftwich is the qb.

I think we have to forget about Leftwichs performance as a freshman. He was thrown into a dumpster fire with only 44 scholarship players suited up. There isnt a true freshman qb in the country that would have done any better in that situation. It was a no win situation.

I think there s one thing we need to remember. Whoever ends up being the qb is probably just a placeholder until Johnson gets up to speed and cleans up his footwork and release. Johnson is the future and that future will start sooner than later.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT