ADVERTISEMENT

Who you think will be New AD and FB Head Coach

FiliUTEP

MI Miner Maniac
Feb 1, 2010
For those of you with the inside info and good sources. If you had to bet ???? Who do you think the jobs will go to?

Jeremiah Dickey

Kevin Sumlin haha, IDK, just pray that whoever it is, they run an up-tempo offense that puts up some points.

Lisa Campos
KC Keeler

Please cite specific qualifications and bona fides to support Campos.

Stull's nepotism hire last time passed on several experienced, quality football coaches, including the former HC at Sam. Not necessarily my top pick, but Keeler should be on UTEP's short list. Rationale? In relatively short time at SHSU, Keeler has demonstrated he can do things Kugler had never done and, predictably, could never do:
  • Identify quality high school talent to fit his system, often under-the-radar type players from under-recruited high schools.
  • Establish positive contacts with Texas high school coaches. They WILL return his phone call.
  • Not afraid to go head-to-head with top-tier Texas programs (Texas, AnM, Houston, SMU, etc.), relationships and exposure often allows him to get next level kids from those same programs that are not offered by Big State U.
  • Hires excellent assistants who develop football players.
  • Recruits and coaches to his talent.
There are no guarantees in life, but the best predictor of success is past performance. Which is why Keeler would be an excellent candidate and Kugler was predictably a galactic failure.

From having seen both teams play this season, Keeler's FCS Sam Houston State would run-rule Sean Kugler's 2017 Miner team, IMO. With 65 scholarships to offer, Keeler and other FCS coaches are successful because they do more with less. Maybe somehing UTEP should consider in their current search. Side factoid - Keeler was Joe Flacco's HC at Delaware, Sam's current QB will be FCS All-American, so presumably he knows a little about developing QBs.

Last edited:
I like Mike Houston from James Madison. Look up his coaching stats, has done wonders in a short career, lower division, but already has a championship.

Houston's stats are impressive, but he has zero recruiting ties in Texas. His entire roster is from the East Coast. El Paso will be a tough sell for east coast kids. I wouldn't mind giving him a chance but I don't see him having any interest here. If he keeps up what he is doing there, he will get an offer from a better school on the east coast.

Keeler will be 59 years old next season. Both Price and Floyd were in their 60's while coaching here and Price was in the decline of his career and Floyd is currently in the decline of his coaching career. We don't need a coach who's decline is just around the corner.

Please cite specific qualifications and bona fides to support Campos.

Stull's nepotism hire last time passed on several experienced, quality football coaches, including the former HC at Sam. Not necessarily my top pick, but Keeler should be on UTEP's short list. Rationale? In relatively short time at SHSU, Keeler has demonstrated he can do things Kugler had never done and, predictably, could never do:
  • Identify quality high school talent to fit his system, often under-the-radar type players from under-recruited high schools.
  • Establish positive contacts with Texas high school coaches. They WILL return his phone call.
  • Not afraid to go head-to-head with top-tier Texas programs (Texas, AnM, Houston, SMU, etc.), relationships and exposure often allows him to get next level kids from those same programs that are not offered by Big State U.
  • Hires excellent assistants who develop football players.
  • Recruits and coaches to his talent.
There are no guarantees in life, but the best predictor of success is past performance. Which is why Keeler would be an excellent candidate and Kugler was predictably a galactic failure.

From having seen both teams play this season, Keeler's FCS Sam Houston State would run-rule Sean Kugler's 2017 Miner team, IMO. With 65 scholarships to offer, Keeler and other FCS coaches are successful because they do more with less. Maybe somehing UTEP should consider in their current search. Side factoid - Keeler was Joe Flacco's HC at Delaware, Sam's current QB will be FCS All-American, so presumably he knows a little about developing QBs.
Can't say sources, but he's 1 of 3 choices right now and Lisa I'd one of two choices for AD. Keeler by a long shot is my favorite!

Can't say sources, but he's 1 of 3 choices right now and Lisa I'd one of two choices for AD. Keeler by a long shot is my favorite!

Keeler would be a great choice imo. Had great success at Delaware and SHSU. Has great recruiting ties in Texas and recruits more 3 star players to SHSU than UTEP ever thought of.

Reactions: LaserCoog

Speaking of Lisa Campos, I read an article from beginning of FB season that she and the FB coach, Jerome Sauers, agree that this would be his last season as NAU coach. He is 59 and has been successful there for 20 years. Not Saban successful but good teams most of the time. That was arranged after Stull announced his retirement.

Tempting with Sumlin on the market, but he may want to chill for a while and do TV broadcasting work.

Keeler is not a bad candidate. He is a proven winner no doubt.

It's not a given that just because Chris Parks works under Stull that he will be just like him. Others have done well after working for Stull. Maybe he brings good fresh ideas that Stull won't let out while still in charge?

I got nothin.....I have no clue what's the best way to go. Initially, I wanted everything to do with Stull gone, but I think I have softened my stance a bit since then...

This is a message board. What do any one of us really know? nada...

Reactions: minerdear
It's not a given that just because Chris Parks works under Stull that he will be just like him. Others have done well after working for Stull. Maybe he brings good fresh ideas that Stull won't let out while still in charge?

I got nothin.....I have no clue what's the best way to go. Initially, I wanted everything to do with Stull gone, but I think I have softened my stance a bit since then...

This is a message board. What do any one of us really know? nada...

I have heard that Park has made quite a few enemies around town

Coach Price quote on North Texas from the Times. You'd never hear a regular coach say this btw.

"They made a coaching change. They are off and running the newest offense available," Price said of the Mean Green's rise. "They got out and recruited the Dallas area very hard. They've done a nice job recruiting. They recruited skill people to that passing offense."

I guess he's saying there's a blueprint here. North Texas coach Seth Littrell played at Oklahoma and was a offensive coordinator at several schools before being named head coach. He coached under Mike Leach and is not quite 40 years old.

Wow. So you think spreading hearsay and innuendo without a shred of proof is a thing? Welcome to the Digital World.
Oh geezus! This a damn message board where we spread rumors damn near daily!

I heard Parks was in good with some big time donors, but hey, Vegas said I shouldn't say that cuz like, it's just hearsay. Picks up could be right. I could be right. Who the F knows.....What I do know is we will all be guessing and speculating until the person is announced.

I'd like to see the person hired friggin soon (for AD) so we could focus on the head coach hire and spread rumors about that position.

I would love to hear more about that. I have had one run-in with Parks and he wasn't the most friendly person.

And just so Vegasminer doesn't get his panties in a bunch, this was based off personal experience.

Having someone even remotely connected with current administration is absolutely ridiculous. We have one of the worst athletic programs in the country so, by all means, lets promote from within??!! If this happens it is just pure laziness.

Who the hell are our big time donors? That exists at UTEP besides Foster and the Capettos dude who’s half A&M and Half UTEP?!?

Reactions: El Paso 777
Chris Park
Lisa Campos
Jim Senter- Director of Athletics at Citadel

Decision to be made by end of November.

Surprise surprise. :rolleyes:

Although Jim Senter came out of left field.

I would love to hear more about that. I have had one run-in with Park and he wasn't the most friendly person.

And just so Vegasminer doesn't get his panties in a bunch, this was based off personal experience.

Run-in? Chris Park? Stull protege? Shocking. Just shocking.

And don't worry about Vegas, those panties are in a permanent state of wad.

It probably doesn't matter what is said on this board since it is only read by a handful of fans but there is a difference between rumors and malicious rumors. As for Park, he had a great reputation at Texas State as an associate AD and even their fans were upset that he left and wished him well while hoping he would come back some day as their AD. Athletic Directors and their associates rarely get a lot of praise but getting hired at the next level, if that happens for Park, is the normal acknowledgment that they are doing something right in their current position and show a lot of potential. Whoever gets the AD job at UTEP this time will show their worth, or lack of it, very soon with the hiring of the next FB coach. None of us knows who is best suited out of the 3 mentioned but if it is one of them, we will know soon enough if it was a good hire.

And since Park is the one being dissed a bit here, his background is pretty impressive:

BS in Business and Marketing from Texas A&M

MS in Sports Management from Texas A&M

Worked for TCU AD as a marketing intern

Intern for Texas A&M AD for media relations

Texas A&M 12th man rewards program coordinator

SHSU Athletics Operations Coordinator for 2.5 yrs

Asst Athletic Director at Texas State for 6 yrs

Associate Athletic Director at UTEP for 1 yr

Sr. Associate Athletic Director at UTEP for 4 years

Last edited:
Oh geezus! This a damn message board where we spread rumors damn near daily!

I have to admit it's actually pretty funny to read some of these rumors when you know for a fact they're 100% wrong or when there is some kind of "new" info posted here that is actually a year old.

Anyway, most of the people that were on the wish list for AD posted by people here or on Facebook never applied or wanted the position.

Most of us figured it was between those 2... Don't know who that other guy is...Probably just thrown in to deter you from the notion of "Stull's" guys... just hurry up already... and then hire a damn coach!

I have to admit it's actually pretty funny to read some of these rumors when you know for a fact they're 100% wrong or when there is some kind of "new" info posted here that is actually a year old.

Anyway, most of the people that were on the wish list for AD posted by people here or on Facebook never applied or wanted the position.

And then there are all of the "expert" opinions based on what they think are qualifications.
Again, this is JUST a message board. Unless you are Bob, Diana, or married to them, you really know about as much as anyone else.....which is nothing....but it's fun to guess and speculate.

There is a possibility Park turns out to be like Rhoades.

Rhoades isn't currently working for Stull and Rhoades has been gone for 11 years, pretty much when UTEP football started its decline. No way Rhoades gets hired anywhere if he switches timelines with Park.

Rhoades isn't currently working for Stull and Rhoades has been gone for 11 years, pretty much when UTEP football started its decline. No way Rhoades gets hired anywhere if he switches timelines with Park.
All I’m saying is that Rhoades who worked for eight years under Stull has gone on to make a name for himself. I wouldn’t really call a two year hit wonder the start of the football decline when it has been in futility since the 60’s. Don’t exactly know what you mean by switching timelines since Park was not employed by UTEP until seven years after Rhoades had left.

If Chris Park worked here when Mack Rhoades did and vice versa. That 2 year hit helped Rhoades get to where he has been and Parks does not get the same benefit because of Kugler's awful tenure. Was Rhoades part of a regime that is currently 0-9 and widely regarded as the worst in FBS? Attendance and fan interest was a lot higher when Rhoades was here. Park needs to share in part of the blame for that.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT