ADVERTISEMENT

Will college athletics greed plus pandemic cause major changes?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/spor...ed-with-coronavirus-crisis-bill-has-come-due/

What do you think? Are major changes in the way college athletics are managed coming because of the pandemic? Interesting article.

I can’t read the article, however I don’t think the changes are coming because of Covid. They have long been in the making. However, with that said, Covid may be the catalyst that forces the changes to actually occur. My 2 cents worth.

A lot of these changes are good. For the P5’s I have absolutely no compassion. The same could be said for the G5’s. Their need to keep up with the Jones in chase of paper championships is just as bad.

You have to wonder if school districts will start scaling back spending as well. Lots of beautiful new facilities going up everywhere the last few years.

You have to wonder if school districts will start scaling back spending as well. Lots of beautiful new facilities going up everywhere the last few years.

I don’t think so. I have a good buddy who is a higher up with Hellas Sports Construction. They lay turf, build courts, put up stadium lighting, etc, mostly for high schools. They haven’t skipped a beat. In fact they’re busier than they were 6 months ago before The Rona hit.

Changes were afoot before covid and I think it will speed these up. As with any global event, pandemic, war etc changes impact culture, sports our way of life. No telling where these changes will pop up but I am hoping that it tones down the greed and the caste system that the "current direction" seemed to promote. In my view sports and in particular non professional sports (college) should be about completion, opportunity and education and value system that honors accomplishment over cash. Is this a perfect world view, maybe but I never could get into Johny 4 stars signing a with a school, only to go pro after 1 season or players opting not to play in a bowl game because their agent advises against it. Sports has always held my interest by the stories of athletes, teams overcoming odds, working for 3-4 years to get the chance to shine. The Larry Birds who worked on a garbage truck while waiting for a 2nd chance or Gus Baily who overcame polio to became a starting guard at UTEP and being drafted by the Rockets. These stories have always have kept my hope and interest up about sports, what it's evolving into the last 20 years or so, I could care less. I can find enough of the greed, excess, selfishness, injustice on a daily basis, I don't need to spend my afternoons getting an extra dose. Million dollar dorm digs, churn and burn coaches, shoe contracts for 8th graders, top secret selection formulas and BCS bullshit just not doing for me.

Reactions: TxRdKiller
I can see CUSA making it out ok, not great, but ok. Same goes for many FCS schools (they are D 1, they count, too)

Seems big time cash is the crack pipe of college athletics........bet some athletic directors thought that cash faucet was going to flow forever and will be looking to renegotiate those million dollar coaching contracts next.

Six games, not eight? Ridiculously stupid. A six game playoff takes just as many weekends as an eight game playoff, and eight makes much more sense. You could have the champions of each P5 conference, the best G5 team, and two wildcards. There is absolutely no advantage to six rather than eight.

Six games, not eight? Ridiculously stupid. A six game playoff takes just as many weekends as an eight game playoff, and eight makes much more sense. You could have the champions of each P5 conference, the best G5 team, and two wildcards. There is absolutely no advantage to six rather than eight.
Why would the NCAA do something that makes sense?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT