ADVERTISEMENT

Would having a JC football team at EPCC .....

MinerInWisconsin

MI Miner Maniac
Nov 28, 2001
be a benefit to UTEP football? I see that EPCC has over 28k students and was wondering if they are in a position to have a football program. A JC in El Paso would benefit some of El Paso's own talent that is not quite ready for fbs but could stay home and gain experience at the JC level. UTEP could steer some of the recruits it would like to develop towards EPCC and then bring them on at UTEP if they show improvement to that level. What do you think?

No. El Paso doesn’t have enough good players for it to make it beneficial for UTEP. Only WNMU/ENMU/ACU/UTPB and others would benefit

That’s a great idea! Could not hurt and could only help. But only if they could figure out how to provide housing to draw kids from out of town. Otherwise...

Last Chance U, El Paso style!

I think that would help get local and regional athletes who are not ready for Division 1 football. Some of these athletes will develop in a year or two and then be ready to play Div 1. UTEP could benefit from some of these hidden gems and not have to give up scholarships to athletes who aren’t quite there. EPCC’s baseball program has produced several players who transferred to Div 1 programs or ended up playing professional baseball including MLB.

Reactions: JCorona
I think that would help get local and regional athletes who are not ready for Division 1 football. Some of these athletes will develop in a year or two and then be ready to play Div 1. UTEP could benefit from some of these hidden gems and not have to give up scholarships to athletes who aren’t quite there. EPCC’s baseball program has produced several players who transferred to Div 1 programs or ended up playing professional baseball including MLB.

Which EPCC players ended up in MLB?

EPCC is a member of the Western JC Athletic Conference as is NMMI. The conference does not sponsor football but NMMI's football program is a member of the Southwest JC Athletic conference with Blinn, Kilgore, etc. EPCC could put football there. Don't know if the people that run EPCC are considering starting football but a few of the Arizona JC's shut down their football last year. I think it could be good for a lot of El Paso area high school football players. Arizona, NM and west Texas players could be involved.

Reactions: axingfools1
F it, I’m going. UTEP till death.
Which EPCC players ended up in MLB?

Fernando Rodriguez Jr.
Position: Pitcher

Bats: Right • Throws: Right

6-3, 235lb (190cm, 106kg)

Born: June 18, 1984 (Age: 36-095d) in El Paso, TX us

Draft: Drafted by the Anaheim Angels in the 18th round of the 2003 MLB June Amateur Draft from El Paso Community College (El Paso, TX).

High School: Franklin HS (El Paso, TX)

School: El Paso Community College (El Paso, TX)

Debut: May 2, 2009 (Age 24-318d, 17,131st in MLB history)
vs. NYY 0.2 IP, 1 H, 1 SO, 2 BB, 2 ER

Last Game: July 3, 2016 (Age 32-015d)
vs. PIT 0.1 IP, 0 H, 0 SO, 0 BB, 0 ER

I don’t know. Any team based in El Paso would fill it’s roster with El Paso kids who are too small and too slow for FBS football. Then we would have a discussion as to whether EPPC could beat UTEP.

Reactions: NoNCAAWinsSince1992
Fernando Rodriguez Jr.
Position: Pitcher

Bats: Right • Throws: Right

6-3, 235lb (190cm, 106kg)

Born: June 18, 1984 (Age: 36-095d) in El Paso, TX us

Draft: Drafted by the Anaheim Angels in the 18th round of the 2003 MLB June Amateur Draft from El Paso Community College (El Paso, TX).

High School: Franklin HS (El Paso, TX)

School: El Paso Community College (El Paso, TX)

Debut: May 2, 2009 (Age 24-318d, 17,131st in MLB history)
vs. NYY 0.2 IP, 1 H, 1 SO, 2 BB, 2 ER

Last Game: July 3, 2016 (Age 32-015d)
vs. PIT 0.1 IP, 0 H, 0 SO, 0 BB, 0 ER

1 journeyman in 20 years. Seems about right.

1 journeyman in 20 years. Seems about right.
Again you were proven wrong. You act like you know it all and are very opinionated even when you’re wrong. The fact remains that some EPCC kids have been drafted to play professionally and have ended up in D1 schools. We all know how hard it is to make it to the highest professional league in any sport. Call him a journeyman all you want but he made it to the majors. I’m sure you’ve have more success than him. I get you, you’re the kind of guy who argues for the sake of arguing.

Again you were proven wrong. You act like you know it all and are very opinionated even when you’re wrong. The fact remains that some EPCC kids have been drafted to play professionally and have ended up in D1 schools. We all know how hard it is to make it to the highest professional league in any sport. Call him a journeyman all you want but he made it to the majors. I’m sure you’ve have more success than him. I get you, you’re the kind of guy who argues for the sake of arguing.

You’re the one who said “several” like it was a common occurrence. So how am I “proven wrong”? I am in no way bashing his career or his success. What would you refer to his career as? Do you think when he talks about himself to others, he refers to himself as a “star”?

It’s not arguing if someone is claiming facts and misrepresenting them.

You’re the one who said “several” like it was a common occurrence. So how am I “proven wrong”? I am in no way bashing his career or his success. What would you refer to his career as? Do you think when he talks about himself to others, he refers to himself as a “star”?

It’s not arguing if someone is claiming facts and misrepresenting them.
Re read his post and you'll know why you're wrong. Several EPCC have transferred to D1 schools and played professionally.

Reactions: BREVO2003 and Rot
Re read his post and you'll know why you're wrong. Several EPCC have transferred to D1 schools and played professionally.

Right and that’s why his statement is misleading. If I say “Several cars in my line are under 20,000 and get great gas mileage”, I am declaring that the part before and after AND mean multiple. I am not saying that only 1 car is getting great gas mileage.

I think its a cool idea, but even if EPCC JC football became a powerhouse most of the kids would be poached by more successful D1 schools anyway

EPCC is 'dirt cheap' on tuition. Hard to support any more athletics teams. They would need an athletic fee and we all know how that flies in EP. Basketball would be more feasible, but even that didn't work.

Right and that’s why his statement is misleading. If I say “Several cars in my line are under 20,000 and get great gas mileage”, I am declaring that the part before and after AND mean multiple. I am not saying that only 1 car is getting great gas mileage.
Re read his original paragraph and this wouldn't even be a discussion. No false or misleading statements said. Several epcc players have played professionally. That's a fact. Several epcc players have been drafted by mlb teams. Another fact. Several players have transferred to d1. That's another fact.

Stop arguing for the sake of arguing. Even when you're wrong.

Reactions: BREVO2003
EPCC’s baseball program has produced several players who transferred to Div 1 programs or ended up playing professional baseball including MLB.
Several epcc players have played professionally. That's a fact. Several epcc players have been drafted by mlb teams. Another fact. Several players have transferred to d1. That's another fact.

No mention of getting drafted in his post. Needs to end his sentence with “including 1 in MLB” for his statement to be correct. I’m not wrong, he wrote something to prop up the EPCC baseball program. End of story.

No mention of getting drafted in his post. Needs to end his sentence with “including 1 in MLB” for his statement to be correct. I’m not wrong, he wrote something to prop up the EPCC baseball program. End of story.
I don’t know why you hate on your hometown so much. Anything that’s El Paso related you belittle it. EPCC has had 22 players drafted by mlb teams. They do their own propping up. End of story.

I don’t know why you hate on your hometown so much. Anything that’s El Paso related you belittle it. EPCC has had 22 players drafted by mlb teams. They do their own propping up. End of story.

Its not hate, it’s truth. Okay, EPCC baseball is awesome, I hope they bring in football. Western Playland is the greatest amusement park in the US. The downtown library is the best in Texas. H&H car wash has the best food in the world! Happy now?

Name one “good” thing about EP that I belittle.

El Paso lost its chance to become a leading city when nobody wanted to spend money in the past decades. That in turn has caused our property taxes to be high and now people are even more reluctant to spend money. This (and maybe throw in a little politics and corruption leading to a lot of mistrust as to how our money is spent) has left us with the 'pobresito' EP mentality.

We are having to come from way behind just to break even now. Thankfully, Paul Foster has closed the gap some. Hopefully we can keep getting better. Completing the revitalization of downtown is a big step towards hopefully stabilizing property taxes.

Reactions: UTEPMiners8106
Traditionally baseball and soccer in EP have been pretty good and competitive state wide. Basketball has had its moments. Football has a long long way to go.

Doesn’t say much about the current roster if only around 1/3 of them are from EP. They should be 4/5 from EP and the rest from elsewhere

According to what precedent or logic?

Its a community college. How many out of towners do you think attend EPCC? I think having only 1/3 of your players being from El Paso isn’t that good for the “community” do you? Unless they’re raking in championships and gaining notoriety, I would rather see them give opportunities to local kids.

Its a community college. How many out of towners do you think attend EPCC? I think having only 1/3 of your players being from El Paso isn’t that good for the “community” do you? Unless they’re raking in championships and gaining notoriety, I would rather see them give opportunities to local kids.
They have some kids from pretty far away. Panama, Columbia, Australia, DR, PR, Bahamas, Florida. Some from Mexico too

I wonder how many successful JCs have tons of local products

To answer your question, if there are only enough quality players from EP to make up 1/3 of the bb program, then that’s all there should be. Are we trying to field a YMCA team, or are we trying to obtain quality players so that the program has a chance at being championship caliber?

To the bolded point, you say “unless they are raking in championships...”. How about if they have aspirations of championships? Gotta get the best talent available to do so. You know that, though.

In one sentence you’ll shit on local talent and in the next we should be providing opportunity for that shit talent. Which is it?

Reactions: Lil_Train and Rot
To answer your question, if there are only enough quality players from EP to make up 1/3 of the bb program, then that’s all there should be. Are we trying to field a YMCA team, or are we trying to obtain quality players so that the program has a chance at being championship caliber?

To the bolded point, you say “unless they are raking in championships...”. How about if they have aspirations of championships? Gotta get the best talent available to do so. You know that, though.

In one sentence you’ll shit on local talent and in the next we should be providing opportunity for that shit talent. Which is it?

Unless they’re winning championships with out of towners, best to give the opportunities to locals. I doubt the program makes any money and nobody really cares either way. Just my opinion.

They have some kids from pretty far away. Panama, Columbia, Australia, DR, PR, Bahamas, Florida. Some from Mexico too

I wonder how many successful JCs have tons of local products

I don’t know, but I would think in a city of 750,000 plus, there would be at least 30 area kids that are capable, wouldn’t you? Especially since baseball and soccer were said to be competitive around the state.

Most JC/CCs are located in small towns, that doesn’t describe El Paso.

I don’t know, but I would think in a city of 750,000 plus, there would be at least 30 area kids that are capable, wouldn’t you? Especially since baseball and soccer were said to be competitive around the state.

Most JC/CCs are located in small towns, that doesn’t describe El Paso.
Well you have to remember that the best (top 5-8) are probably getting drafted or going to a 4 yr college. Others may choose to go elsewhere. I think 15 is pretty good. I would definitely say recruiting EP is #1 for the coaches.

Reactions: NoNCAAWinsSince1992
Well you have to remember that the best (top 5-8) are probably getting drafted or going to a 4 yr college. Others may choose to go elsewhere. I think 15 is pretty good. I would definitely say recruiting EP is #1 for the coaches.

Agree. Back to the main topic. EPCC football wouldn’t help UTEP. UTEP can only help themselves by hiring the right people and winning games.

Reactions: Dmanminer
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT