ADVERTISEMENT

WTF El Paso??

As others have noted, since it's Friday night, UTEP is competing with the high school games. I'm sure that has a significant effect.

Looks bad on tv - we look like a team <insert school name > that is known for not supporting its team- this team is still in bowl contention!

The new norm has become to have more than 20k in attendance. I think we have right around that tonight. The Sun Bowl is so big it looks empty. If this was a normal C-USA stadium it would be more than 80% full.

I went to the game tonight and I had feared that the crowd was going to be much worse than it actually was, especially considering this was Senior Night at every High School Football Game in El Paso. Given the circumstances, getting a good crowd for this game was always going to be difficult and it would have been better if UTEP would have selected a different game to have Military Night. UTEP had good intentions, but bringing so many different Soldiers/Veterans/Enrollee's onto the field and having such a small crowd to greet them was kinda sad.

What made tonight extra difficult was the 6pm Kick-Off time. As a Season Ticket Holder we get a Parking Pass, but of course we have to be in one car to use it. So I got off work at 5pm, had to deal with 5PM traffic on I-10, drove to Basset Center(a central meeting point) to get everyone into my car, got back on I-10 to deal with Rush Hour Traffic again and then drove to UTEP, to arrive just as the National Anthem was ending. I know that TV dictates the Friday Night Games and times, but UTEP should really try to avoid 6pm Kick-Offs on any future Week Day games. They must make any future week night games later and give people a fair chance to make the games on-time.

Finally, it was a small crowd, but the Sun Bowl sounded great and made a lot of noise on the final drives of the game.

Reactions: minerdear
I agree with Jeep's observation. It was a game, but smallish, crowd. El Paso fans generally don't show up in anticipation of winning; they show up if and once the winning is a well-established pattern.

The small contingent of about 60-70 soldiers at the game were the 174 ADA, from Ohio. I'm working with that unit this morning at Fort Bliss. They were very complimentary of the Sun Bowl. They loved the setting and said the people they met ( well, the few that were there) were great.

Reactions: unihorn
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT