ADVERTISEMENT

You know you are in a crappy conference when...

alum95and98

Rookie
Feb 18, 2013
You play a game at another school's gym with 1000 in attendance and they have the outlines of their volleyball court on their basketball court just like a high school gym.

Please. There is no law or requirement that you have to win conference for years before you leave it (see Tulane, San Jose St, SMU, Utah St., Missouri, Tulsa, etc. etc. etc. etc. etc....)

It's all about FB - if Kugler keeps winning and freakin' El Pasoans show up to support the team, then a better conference may be possible...

The winning might not be enough Pony, apparently you have to win with players with more than 2 stars for that winning to mean something. SMH

Bring back the Amen chant!

Back when we were in the old WAC (BYU, Utah, UNM, etc.) we weren't immune to playing in some dumps, especially when we played at San Diego State. While they do have a nice on campus gym now, for the longest time they played at either the San Diego Sports Arena, which, while a large facility, is a real dump, or the on campus Peterson Gym, which looked like a high school, complete with retractable bleachers. While I agree that we need to upgrade our conference, a facility that you play in for one game isn't a good way to judge the quality of a conference.

Just to play devil's advocate...

....I do remember Stull stating the importance of the UTEP facilities to get invited into CUSA back in the day. My, how things have changed!!

UTEP fans

Reactions: FarWestTexas
Re: Just to play devil's advocate...

A lot of the old WAC/ current MWC schools are getting some major upgrades done to their basketball arenas. Some of you know about The Pit in the ABQ or the Marriott Center in Provo, look at what they are doing at the Double A/ Dome of Doom a.k.a. the Arena- Auditorium in Laramie. Click on where it states Renovations.

http://www.gowyo.com/facilities/arena-auditorium.html

Please. There is no law or requirement that you have to win conference for years before you leave it (see Tulane, San Jose St, SMU, Utah St., Missouri, Tulsa, etc. etc. etc. etc. etc....)

No, you're correct, there is no law. But it's really bad form to incessantly trash talk the conference and it's schools, particularly when the next football championship you win in that conference will be the first.

Back when we were in the old WAC (BYU, Utah, UNM, etc.) we weren't immune to playing in some dumps, especially when we played at San Diego State. While they do have a nice on campus gym now, for the longest time they played at either the San Diego Sports Arena, which, while a large facility, is a real dump, or the on campus Peterson Gym, which looked like a high school, complete with retractable bleachers. While I agree that we need to upgrade our conference, a facility that you play in for one game isn't a good way to judge the quality of a conference.

ha! I remember Peterson Gym very well from the one game I attended there! The backboards even went up and down like they do in a high school gym! Even Memorial Gym is MUCH bigger than that little dump! We kept making fun of the "Student Section" there that was clearing marked off by a sheet of 8 1/2" x 11" paper that was taped to the wall behind the retractable wooden bleachers. Even the San Diego Sports Arena wasn't much better, to be honest. Another dump was Moby Arena in Ft. Collins. Of course, The Sleaze Pit in Albuquerque was always hyped up, but it was and is a sewer that happens to have a lot of seating.

ha! I remember Peterson Gym very well from the one game I attended there! The backboards even went up and down like they do in a high school gym! Even Memorial Gym is MUCH bigger than that little dump! We kept making fun of the "Student Section" there that was clearing marked off by a sheet of 8 1/2" x 11" paper that was taped to the wall behind the retractable wooden bleachers. Even the San Diego Sports Arena wasn't much better, to be honest. Another dump was Moby Arena in Ft. Collins. Of course, The Sleaze Pit in Albuquerque was always hyped up, but it was and is a sewer that happens to have a lot of seating.

The Pit has since been renovated. They put $60 million into a face lift and internal redesigns. The capacity lowered from 18,000 to 15,000+ as a result, but it is a fine venue to watch a game or concert. It is anything but "sleaze" (aside from the patrons who attend Lobos games there). I wish UTEP would allocate those types of funds to renovating the DHC, and bring it up to current standards.

Reactions: El Paso Chihuahuas
You obviously haven't been to the don haskins center in a while. It is a dump and needs renovations. The interior is outdated. Like the poster above, the pit is miles above the don.

You obviously haven't been to the don haskins center in a while. It is a dump and needs renovations. The interior is outdated. Like the poster above, the pit is miles above the don.

"Dump" is a tad harsh.

The gym floor at Memorial Gym was finally replaced during the off -season. All they have to do now is replace the backstops and the seating area, it could be used for both basketball and volleyball.

No, you're correct, there is no law. But it's really bad form to incessantly trash talk the conference and it's schools, particularly when the next football championship you win in that conference will be the first.
Right... I'm still waiting... It's not bad form it's what our fans should do. It's what SMU and Missourri fans did. They didn't have to win their confernece for years before leaving. Their fans and their AD did everything they could to move for better exposure, competition & dollars. I buy my season tickets and wear my colors every Saturday and I would rather play almost ANY team in the AAC or MTW west then ANY team in CUSA. The key is to look where those programs are now when we used to be in the same conference together. Our AD has not kept up, and seems satisfied playing in this crappy conference. Look at the programs we are playing now in our conference and where were they 10 years ago? Some of them didn't even have football teams and several weren't even FBS level. Maybe the hope was to stay behind and dominate something but we haven't done that in Bball or Fball. I want out and I think all fans should be advocating for Bob Stull to do the same thing!

Reactions: FarWestTexas
Everyone should aspire to bigger and better. In-state programs like SMU, TCU, and Houston who have moved up the food chain in recent years have several straight-up advantages. First, being in the 4th and 7th largest population centers in the nation has major and obvious advantages that attract potential suitors. Second, each of these programs has poured GOBS of money into their athletic programs. And third, each of these universities can make a claim to academic excellence. Not Ivy League excellence, but well above average, which is also attractive to potential suitors. UH, for example, is on the verge of obtaining Tier 1 status, not an insignificant achievement.

The alum, fans, supporters, donors of these schools didn't just sit around bad-mouthing and trash-talking their fellow Mountain West and C-USA conference-mates. Their elevation and evolution didn't happen with pixie dust. Each had a strategic plan, a vision, and most of all, committed leadership. The AD and University Presidents were on the page, knew where they wanted to go, and had a plan to get there. The Big 12 will likely expand to, uh, 12 teams in the near future, and Houston will be likely be in the mix. And no, winning was not a prerequisite, but it certainly doesn't hurt.

TCU, in particular, would seem to be a good model for TCU. Getting Chris Del Conti as AD from Rice was the second smartest move they've made. Hiring Gary Patterson was first.

Everyone should aspire to bigger and better. In-state programs like SMU, TCU, and Houston who have moved up the food chain in recent years have several straight-up advantages. First, being in the 4th and 7th largest population centers in the nation has major and obvious advantages that attract potential suitors. Second, each of these programs has poured GOBS of money into their athletic programs. And third, each of these universities can make a claim to academic excellence. Not Ivy League excellence, but well above average, which is also attractive to potential suitors. UH, for example, is on the verge of obtaining Tier 1 status, not an insignificant achievement.

The alum, fans, supporters, donors of these schools didn't just sit around bad-mouthing and trash-talking their fellow Mountain West and C-USA conference-mates. Their elevation and evolution didn't happen with pixie dust. Each had a strategic plan, a vision, and most of all, committed leadership. The AD and University Presidents were on the page, knew where they wanted to go, and had a plan to get there. The Big 12 will likely expand to, uh, 12 teams in the near future, and Houston will be likely be in the mix. And no, winning was not a prerequisite, but it certainly doesn't hurt.

TCU, in particular, would seem to be a good model for TCU. Getting Chris Del Conti as AD from Rice was the second smartest move they've made. Hiring Gary Patterson was first.

I understand your point, but I doubt UH gets a B12 invite. Obviously, it's all about $. There are many more TV viewers in the Houston market that are Texas fans than UH fans, so UH doesn't really "bring" the Houston market to the B12. Nor does UH bring above B12 average ticket sales revenue. So UH would dilute, not add to, the revenue that the existing B12 teams currently share. Of course, I could prove to be wrong, but I just don't see it happening.

I understand your point, but I doubt UH gets a B12 invite. Obviously, it's all about $. There are many more TV viewers in the Houston market that are Texas fans than UH fans, so UH doesn't really "bring" the Houston market to the B12. Nor does UH bring above B12 average ticket sales revenue. So UH would dilute, not add to, the revenue that the existing B12 teams currently share. Of course, I could prove to be wrong, but I just don't see it happening.

Texas would like UH. If Texas ever goes to the the pac 12 they will take UH with them. However, UH in the big twelve is a no go. The oklahoma schools are adamantly against admitting another Texas school. In fact everyone except Texas would be against UH.
They are not going to admit a school located in the counry's fourth largest media market, and in the richest recruiting area in the country. Memphis and cinci look like the favorites.

Texas would like UH. If Texas ever goes to the the pac 12 they will take UH with them. However, UH in the big twelve is a no go. The oklahoma schools are adamantly against admitting another Texas school. In fact everyone except Texas would be against UH.
They are not going to admit a school located in the counry's fourth largest media market, and in the richest recruiting area in the country. Memphis and cinci look like the favorites.

Not sure where you're getting your info from but Boren, from OU, is pressing hard for expansion and UH is one of two teams he has expressed interest in. UT on the other hand, wants nothing to do with UH. Briles has also pushed for Houston to get into the B12.

You may be right, but most people I talk to agree Houston would be a net add to the B12 for a number of reasons. Plus, the only reason B12 expands is to get to a championship format in football - 2 divisions with 6 teams. Houston would be an obvious for the south and maybe a Cincinnati or Louisville (both good mates for UWV) in the north. And I wouldn't bet against UH's president - she's is a visionary and extremely aggressive. Again, we'll see...

I still see TCU as a model for UTEP. There's money in EP, not Fort Worth money for sure, but money. But I simply do not see any chance of moving up with your current AD and President. JMO...

You may be right, but most people I talk to agree Houston would be a net add to the B12 for a number of reasons. Plus, the only reason B12 expands is to get to a championship format in football - 2 divisions with 6 teams. Houston would be an obvious for the south and maybe a Cincinnati or Louisville (both good mates for UWV) in the north. And I wouldn't bet against UH's president - she's is a visionary and extremely aggressive. Again, we'll see...

I still see TCU as a model for UTEP. There's money in EP, not Fort Worth money for sure, but money. But I simply do not see any chance of moving up with your current AD and President. JMO...

So where does UTEP go?

Yes, I also hear Boren at OU would be a UH supporter. Beyond that, two things have happened in recent years. First, Deloss Dodds retired as Texas AD. It would be difficult to articulate the depth of bad feelings between UT and UH - in both directions - while Dodds was in the picture. Second, simply put, UH finally got its football act together. Briles, Sumlin, and now Herman have put that program on the national radar.

So where does UTEP go?

It took Houston a decade to fully position itself for a big move, similar for TCU. Impossible to overstate the type of vision, leadership, and commitment required to make that step - financially, academically, and via on the field performance. As I opinioned above, I just don't see those ingredients in place with the current UTEP administration (President and AD). Insiders on this board may disagree...

And just to clarify, I have only admiration for Dr. Natalicio, she has taken UTEP to unprecedented heights, a real gold nugget (pun intended) in the UT system. But again, the topic was getting to the next level in a major athletic conference...

Last edited:
If the B12 expands, I'd expect them to expand their geographic reach by adding a BYU, UCF and/or Cincy. It doesn't make sense for them to add smaller Texas schools like UH which dilute their revenue and further increase in-state recruiting competition.

Yes, I also hear Boren at OU would be a UH supporter. Beyond that, two things have happened in recent years. First, Deloss Dodds retired as Texas AD. It would be difficult to articulate the depth of bad feelings between UT and UH - in both directions - while Dodds was in the picture. Second, simply put, UH finally got its football act together. Briles, Sumlin, and now Herman have put that program on the national radar.

I grew up a die hard Miner fan. Still am. But for very good reason, I am now a die hard Coog fan also (fb only). I am ecstatic about the direction that program is going. UH struck gold with CTH. And as you mentioned, RK has the university on the fast track to academic, as well as athletic, success. Great time to be a Coog. But this is a Miner board so I digress.

If the B12 expands, I'd expect them to expand their geographic reach by adding a BYU, UCF and/or Cincy. It doesn't make sense for them to add smaller Texas schools like UH which dilute their revenue and further increase in-state recruiting competition.

Well, not sure what you mean by "smaller Texas schools", but current UH enrollment is 41,000 students with 300 degree programs, including colleges of law, optometry, and pharmacy. And simply no way with BYU, they'd bring more baggage than the Shah of Iran. Plus, B12 only has room for one prima dona program.

From everything I've heard, which is limited, BYU isn't interested in joining the Bug12 and UCF has all but dropped off the Big12 radar. I guess we'll just have to wait to find out tho.

Ok life, I'm calling you out on this one. Why would Texas want UH in the conference? Dude, where do you get your sources? The golf course know it all's at Coronado or EP Country Club?

From everything I've heard, which is limited, BYU isn't interested in joining the Bug12 and UCF has all but dropped off the Big12 radar. I guess we'll just have to wait to find out tho.

BYU is interested in joining the Big XII and don't let Mormon politics fool you that they're not interested. And who is the prima dona? Texas? Ha! I wonder why no one refers to Notre Dame as a prima dona school? Interesting....

Ok life, I'm calling you out on this one. Why would Texas want UH in the conference? Dude, where do you get your sources? The golf course know it all's at Coronado or EP Country Club?
I agree. I live in Houston. There's a reason why Texas and UH never play. There's some bad blood between these two schools and their athletic programs. Texas has nothing to gain by playing UH or inviting them to their own conference. Texas would only elevate UH and place them on equal footing. More blue chip recruits would sign with UH if they knew they would play in Austin or against UT.

The sad reality is that Bob Stull failed UTEP. He relied too much on sticking around with the other Texas schools when any moron could have predicted that UH and SMU (and Memphis) would bolt out of the conference. He declined the MWC invitation when it was there. Consequently, Utah St. and San Jose St. were invited over us. SAN JOSE ST for CHRIST SAKE!!! Now, our athletic department has eroded and we've become a Sun Belt team that can't even win in this Sun Belt Conference.

I have business relationships with some very influential Texas donors. I dont know about the new president at UT, but when Powers was the president he wanted to be aligned with Houston in the future. They are still upset A&M left. When the Aggies left they took Houston with them. A&M and to a lesser extent LSU have fenced off the Houston in recruiting. Texas wants Houston back, thats one of the reasons they want Houston. Another reason Texas wants Houston is their administration wants to be associated with like minded excellent academic institutions. Houston should have become the third tier one flag ship institution along time ago. Houston is a graet academic institution politics are keeping them from becoming tier one. The Aggie boosters and administration have damaged A&M's academic standing. They have fallen out of the top 100 in most academic rankings. In five years UH will pass A&M academically and be the clear #2 in Texas academically. Lastly there have been Pac 12 reps that have visted and toured UH. The Pac 12 wouldnt be interested in UH if Texas didnt approve. I think its very likely in the future Texas and UH move to the PAC 12.

I dont have a dog in this fight. In fact I dont like either school at all. I do have knowledge about Texas and A&M because of business relationships. Im the last person who would champion UH's canidacy for the big 12, im just sharing what I know.

BYU is interested in joining the Big XII and don't let Mormon politics fool you that they're not interested. And who is the prima dona? Texas? Ha! I wonder why no one refers to Notre Dame as a prima dona school? Interesting....

I'm not sure...I'm not the one who mentioned prima donas, although I agree with the sentiment.

I don't claim any inside knowledge, however, I have a more than a casual interest in who's going to get the invite and listen to a variety of sources on the matter. BYU isn't going to get into the Big12 either. Think they are content as independents, and further, I think the Big12 is looking in a different direction.

I have business relationships with some very influential Texas donors. I dont know about the new president at UT, but when Powers was the president he wanted to be aligned with Houston in the future. They are still upset A&M left. When the Aggies left they took Houston with them. A&M and to a lesser extent LSU have fenced off the Houston in recruiting. Texas wants Houston back, thats one of the reasons they want Houston. Another reason Texas wants Houston is their administration wants to be associated with like minded excellent academic institutions. Houston should have become the third tier one flag ship institution along time ago. Houston is a graet academic institution politics are keeping them from becoming tier one. The Aggie boosters and administration have damaged A&M's academic standing. They have fallen out of the top 100 in most academic rankings. In five years UH will pass A&M academically and be the clear #2 in Texas academically. Lastly there have been Pac 12 reps that have visted and toured UH. The Pac 12 wouldnt be interested in UH if Texas didnt approve. I think its very likely in the future Texas and UH move to the PAC 12.

I dont have a dog in this fight. In fact I dont like either school at all. I do have knowledge about Texas and A&M because of business relationships. Im the last person who would champion UH's canidacy for the big 12, im just sharing what I know.

Texas is recruiting Houston just fine, and adding UH to the B12 doesn't help Texas recruit Houston better.

Herman (who will be hired away by a bigger program soon IMO) calls out UH fans for not packing the stands:

CR4i8avUwAApxWB.jpg

Will see what happens with the new A.D.. As far as Houston recruiting, there is so much talent in that gulf area of Texas, it doesn't make any sense why UT would feel fenced off. Former Gov. Perry ruined a lot of higher education across the state life, not just A&M. He put his, let's-make-some-money-conservative cronies in higher education and A&M is not too happy. Shame on those idiots, be careful who you put in power...stupid ag's! He tried to do it at UT but they fought tooth and nail and saw what Perry did to his own school. Now with UT's own chuckle nut governor in power, who knows how long it will last? This is why I keep posting from time to time on here that UTEP has some good friends within the board of regents who have helped UTEP to make it grow, instead of going backwards like A&M. Sorry, I'm going off on a tangent here.

Thanks for the info.

Herman (who will be hired away by a bigger program soon IMO) calls out UH fans for not packing the stands:

CR4i8avUwAApxWB.jpg

As he should. Granted, UH is up against the Astros, the Texans, several other universities, and to some extent the Dynamo. However, Houston is the 3rd-4th biggest city in America and obviously has the population to fill a 40K stadium. It has a lot to do with UH not being the city's university like UT is to Austin, or aTm is to College Station, or TT is to Lubbock, etc...

When they are 8-0 and about to play Memphis with College Game Day in town, then the people will show up. Probably not before then, though.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT