ADVERTISEMENT

"Your football team sucks"

Cube Jack

MI Hall of Famer
Mar 10, 2006
El Paso, TX
Ever seen a movie called "Roxanne"? In this movie Steve Martin has a big nose and a guy at a bar insults him by calling him "big nose" which gets the guy laughed at because it's a weak and uncreative insult.

Honestly that's how I feel as a Miner fan when someone's best insult is "your football team sucks'. I mean we all KNOW the program has been pretty bad the last 4 seasons. A generic comment like that has no effect anymore. It's like I WANT them to say something more creative.

"Dude, Franklin High has more wins in the Sun Bowl than your team the last 5 years"

"Your last bowl win was during the LBJ administration"

I don't know but something more creative

Last edited:
Reactions: FeralFelidae
Ever seen a movie called "Roxanne"? In this movie Steve Martin has a big nose and a guy at a bar insults him by calling him "big nose" because it's a weak and uncreative insult.

Honestly that's how I feel as a Miner fan when someone's best insult is "your football team sucks'. I mean we all KNOW the program has been pretty bad the last 4 seasons. A generic comment like that has no effect anymore. It's like I WANT them to say something more creative.

"Dude, Franklin High has more wins in the Sun Bowl than your team the last 5 years"

Last 4 seasons? How about the last 5 decades?

I get what you're saying, insulting our football team is like picking low hanging fruit. Hopefully some day we will have enough continued success so that we don't we don't have to hear any insults about UTEP Football, creative or otherwise. But I'm not holding my breath.

Last edited:
Ever seen a movie called "Roxanne"? In this movie Steve Martin has a big nose and a guy at a bar insults him by calling him "big nose" which gets the guy laughed at because it's a weak and uncreative insult.

The last 4 seasons?

Since 2017 was the winless season I started from there. Since that season there have been no conference home wins and only one conference road win.

We expect crap so we fans are rewarded with crap.

Think about it: Fans, almost literally, ran out Floyd with roaming bands of peeved fans and boosters with pitchforks. A COY of a PAC XII school confronted "Fire Floyd" sign bearing fans. A sports radio host was harassed live on the air over Floyd. Terry failed expectations and caught an Uber to the airport incognito. UTEP hires Cinderella from the NCAA's.

Kugler & Dimel run UTEP football to the ground and Dimel couldn't even beat a mediocre UNT team to reach a nickle & dime bowl game after posting just 2 wins against FCS schools SFU and ACU and what do you hear?

Cicadas.

We expect crap so we fans are rewarded with crap.

Think about it: Fans, almost literally, ran out Floyd with roaming bands of peeved fans and boosters with pitchforks. A COY of a PAC XII school confronted "Fire Floyd" sign bearing fans. A sports radio host was harassed live on the air over Floyd. Terry failed expectations and caught an Uber to the airport incognito. UTEP hires Cinderella from the NCAA's.

Kugler & Dimel run UTEP football to the ground and Dimel couldn't even beat a mediocre UNT team to reach a nickle & dime bowl game after posting just 2 wins against FCS schools SFU and ACU and what do you hear?

Cicadas.
I hear Captain Obvious beating a dead horse ad nauseum. Give it a rest. The Debbie Downers on this board have nothing of value to add to this board except whining and gnashing of teeth. Maybe we can give our beloved Miners a chance to prove themselves this year before we throw them under the bus. These young men (and coaches) are working their a** off while you "fans" are sitting on yours typing bull***t.

I hear Captain Obvious beating a dead horse ad nauseum. Give it a rest. The Debbie Downers on this board have nothing of value to add to this board except whining and gnashing of teeth. Maybe we can give our beloved Miners a chance to prove themselves this year before we throw them under the bus. These young men (and coaches) are working their a** off while you "fans" are sitting on yours typing bull***t.
Every athlete on a D1 scholarship is working their ass off. The UTEP football players are no different.

You must enjoy having a very mediocre basketball program and an awful football program, I don’t. Sorry, that I don’t celebrate victories over FCS schools and low major bottom feeders like Idaho St.

What has Dana Dimel showed you in his 3 years here? I expect this season to be better, but because of the last 60 years, I am not counting on it. Some might predict a 5-1 start. Is it possible? Sure. Is it highly likely? Not by any means.

Schools without football teams 20 years ago have already accomplished more than UTEP has in 60 years in FBS. A conference mate shut their program down for 2 years and have won 2 conference championships and a bowl game. While UTEP is winning 1 game a year.

Reactions: TxRdKiller
Yea guys we all should have blind optimism that this is the year we break the curse and do something other than lose football games.
Maybe my optimism is not so blind. Do you even read (the articles, prognostications, interviews and reports on UTEP Football/Basketball) or do you simply pull out your pessimism out of your a** because you enjoy the sound of your voice pretending that you know something?

I got season tickets just counting the days to see Hankins and Wadley. I have hope, tempered hope since the late 80's.

This is all you need.
I'm not going to complain about our position in the bottom 10. Until we prove that we can win some games, with our pathetic history, we deserve this. I will say that the writer should at least do his homework. An 0-5 record in 2020? Did he just make that up?

I'm not going to complain about our position in the bottom 10. Until we prove that we can win some games, with our pathetic history, we deserve this. I will say that the writer should at least do his homework. An 0-5 record in 2020? Did he just make that up?
Eh, close enough.

Reactions: MineroFanatico
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT