ADVERTISEMENT

Your list of UTEP coaching candidates seems a little ....

MinerInWisconsin

MI Miner Maniac
Nov 28, 2001
short. I expected to see Kliff Klingsbury's name and I agree he would be an exciting hire but the name Marty Mornhinweg? That would be quite a surprise and would carry a lot of weight with recruits because of the NFL experience. I thought additional names like Noel Mazzone, OC at UCLA or Wille Fritz, HC at SHSU would be there as well. Will you be adding any to your list?
Ity Mornhinweg

Originally posted by MinerInWisconsin:

short. I expected to see Kliff Klingsbury's name and I agree he would be an exciting hire but the name Marty Mornhinweg? That would be quite a surprise and would carry a lot of weight with recruits because of the NFL experience. I thought additional names like Noel Mazzone, OC at UCLA or Wille Fritz, HC at SHSU would be there as well. Will you be adding any to your list?
Ity Mornhinweg
Indeed we are going to be adding to the list over the next couple of days. In order to keep updating info, I didn't want to just put it all out there in one shot. I'll be adding more Thursday and Friday and more next week.

That said, your thoughts on the two so far and the analysis?

I enjoy the way you and your staff have analyzed the coaching candidates. Obviously the conclusions as to would they be or not be a good hire for UTEP is always up for debate. Good job.

My personal take on it is that while the OC from a high flying offense would be exciting and the coaches with NFL experience could be met with a lot of enthusiasm, I would rather see a Willie Fritz type hired. Someone with success as a head coach at some level. Its one thing to be a good coordinator but to be the one that is responsible for hiring assistants, organizing the program and sets the entire football team up for success, that's quite another. With a coordinator who has never been a successful head coach, you really are gambling that he can translate that experience to being a successful head coach. Gary Nord comes to mine.

Your new candidates, Yost and Fritz, both look interesting and my favorite remains Fritz. Also enjoy the inclusion of info tying the candidates to Stull or UTEP in some way. That does add some credibility to their candidacy. Any rumors of El Paso sightings are interesting too.

I hope for UTEP's sake that a good hire is made. Price was a good hire and the competitive level of the program is much higher now because of him. The next guy needs to be able to take the program to the next level.

Keep up the good work.

Added four more coaches who have come up a lot in conversation through a couple of different sources and who logically make sense in the search.

Dirk Koetter has come up a lot and it makes a lot of sense as to why he would be in the running. An extensive relationship with Stull and success at different levels makes him a worthy candidate but getting him to leave a successful Falcons team right now would be pretty hard to do. Not to mention he would be a pricy get.

The word from a lot of fans is that they would love to see Fritz or Kugler. I think both of those would be a little bit harder to get.

Another quick note and a heads up on some stories I'm working on for the subscribers: Bob Stull has been in Austin the last couple of days and word is he should be back into town for the MBB game vs NMSU. Don't have a confirmation on who he has met with but I'm working on that.

Also, working on getting some stuff with some of the coaches on the hot board to get their perspective on things and if Stull has contacted them. I'm hoping to get some full stories out of it and have one coach confirmed for a full story.

The board has been updated with Juan Castillo and I have to say that I have been very torn about this particular add. Josh Puga and I have had a number of discussions with regards to him and the entire process and while it seems like this could be a good fit but both Puga and I have some reservations about why Andy Ried would stump for the man he fired just weeks ago. There is just something fishy about it and it doesn't sit well with me.

I'm curious to see/read what you think of the add and your logic behind it.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT