ADVERTISEMENT

2022 FB Expectations

picks up

MI VIP
Aug 24, 2012
There will undoubtedly be some departures from the team but we will still have a lot of returning starters or players with experience. We don't know how long of an extension that Dimel is getting but I suspect that we will find out soon. We will have a more difficult schedule next year, starting with Oklahoma.

What are your expectations for next year?

For me, our floor should be 7 wins given next year's schedule. We need to be in the mix to challenge for the CUSA West title. 2022 will be the first time in years that anything less than a bowl game is a massive disappointment and it will be interesting to see how this team reacts to expectations. I also hope that these expectations bring back crowds. I know the UTSA game was a disappointment but the pregame atmosphere was amazing

I look forward to reading your expectations for next year

There will undoubtedly be some departures from the team but we will still have a lot of returning starters or players with experience. We don't know how long of an extension that Dimel is getting but I suspect that we will find out soon. We will have a more difficult schedule next year, starting with Oklahoma.

For me, our floor should be 7 wins given next year's schedule. We need to be in the mix to challenge for the CUSA West title. 2022 will be the first time in years that anything less than a bowl game is a massive disappointment and it will be interesting to see how this team reacts to expectations. I also hope that these expectations bring back crowds. I know the UTSA game was a disappointment but the pregame atmosphere was amazing

Will it still be the same CUSA next year? Dont some of the teams want to leave sooner than later?

Will it still be the same CUSA next year? Dont some of the teams want to leave sooner than later?
The 3 schools headed for the SBC are wanting to leave for next season. Two of our wins from this year and expected to be on our schedule in 2022, ODU and USM.

Other than that, my expectations are in the 8-9 win area and have a realistic shot to win the west division. Boise St comes to El Paso so our guys should have a chance. UTSA is losing a lot so even on the road the Miners have a good chance there.

Would be great if UTEP was improved enough next year to challenge for the access bowl because the schedule is about as strong as it should be with OU and BSU but I don't believe they will be.

I think 7 wins and a chance at a bowl win is a reasonable expectation. Right now it’s still to early to say for sure though. Does Cowing leave? Does the D-Coordinator stay? Who transfers? Can Hardison improve?

I think 7 wins and a chance at a bowl win is a reasonable expectation. Right now it’s still to early to say for sure though. Does Cowing leave? Does the D-Coordinator stay? Who transfers? Can Hardison improve?
Apparently Cowing said he would be wearing Lauffenberg’s jersey next year. I didn’t read it myself but somebody posted it on here the other day. Don’t think that’s something Cowing would say if he didn’t mean it.

Apparently Cowing said he would be wearing Lauffenberg’s jersey next year. I didn’t read it myself but somebody posted it on here the other day. Don’t think that’s something Cowing would say if he didn’t mean it.
Garrett said it in a pregame interview as well. But I don’t see why he would stay if he got favorable info regarding his draft stock.

Could be the year UTEP plays tough at OU. They may not be the same, Oklahoma. Will be tough and potentially disastrous to open at OU, if they get blown out. They need a decent showing. For confidence at the very least.
The timing of this game is bad. OU will literally want to make a statement against UTEP and any…..any, starting OU HC is and will be expected to do so, emphatically. Especially with SEC promise land looming.

This will be a blood bath.

Need to see improvement in the offense, will see who Dismel brings in to challenge at QB. If he doesn’t try to find another QB then I don’t see us winning more than six games.

Reactions: picks up
I think a 7+ win season plus a bowl win should be the goal for 2022. The Miners will start a tough season against OU, OU will have a new coach and their players will be adjusting to a new system.. I’m not expecting a win, but a close competitive game can boost our confidence to start the season and set the tone. We have most of our starters and key back ups returning on both offense and defense, which is a plus. Dimel recruited some good JCs that will help bolster our defense and make this group even stronger. I’m hoping Hardison can work on his mechanics, decision making and foot work during the off season. We need to incorporate the TEs into our offense. Areas of improvement are special teams, primarily kicking and punting. This area needs a major overhaul. We need to correct our stupid penalties that are costing us games. Coaches need to instill discipline and hold players accountable. Outside of the lopsided losses against Boise St and Utsa we lost some close games. As several people pointed out, we expected a beating by Fresno St and the Miners should have won this game. What’s very upsetting to me was despite 3 turnovers and questionable ref calls this game was winnable. We could have ended our bowl game drought. We played well against a very tough Fresno St team that was one of the top teams in the MWC. I think this team should be able to win against everyone on our schedule next year with the exception of OU.

Last edited:
8-4 or bust.

Losses to OU and Boise State + 2 conference losses.

Not sure why 7-5 would be acceptable. The goal is to be better.
I view 7 wins as acceptable because we are playing a more difficult schedule. This year we had one of the softest schedule in FBS. If we played next year's schedule this year, we probably get 5-6 wins. The soft schedule is one of the main reasons why people didn't believe in this team. With that said, I would love to see an improvement in our win total.

Anything better than 2-2 ooc is a plus anything worse and we're already of to a bad start.

In conference I would like to go at least 5-3. Can't really make a good prediction until we see how the divisions end up and who from the east we end up paired against.

I view 7 wins as acceptable because we are playing a more difficult schedule. This year we had one of the softest schedule in FBS. If we played next year's schedule this year, we probably get 5-6 wins. The soft schedule is one of the main reasons why people didn't believe in this team. With that said, I would love to see an improvement in our win total.
Fair enough. Who do you think we most assuredly lose to in conference next year?

If our defense can improve even more we will be really dangerous next year …. Someone said if we keep our d coordinator…. Is he thinking of leaving?
Agree. That’s why I think 8-4. Our defense will probably be a little better. Offensively, it probably can only get better due to experience/continuity.

Anything better than 2-2 ooc is a plus anything worse and we're already of to a bad start.

In conference I would like to go at least 5-3. Can't really make a good prediction until we see how the divisions end up and who from the east we end up paired against.
Get new field lighting by the start of the '22 season, even netting in the end zones.
Why the netting?

Reactions: kickballpro

Nevermind, this was very premature. We're probably going back to being bottom feeders. Please prove me wrong Miners.

I dont care what the expectations were coming into this season, Dimel had the players and the defense to get 9 wins AND then win our 1st bowl game in 60+ years. He found players and he built a good foundation, but he just doesn't know how to win nor does he have the mindset of a winner. Extending him past 5 years is a big mistake.

I dont care what the expectations were coming into this season, Dimel had the players and the defense to get 9 wins AND then win our 1st bowl game in 60+ years. He found players and he built a good foundation, but he just doesn't know how to win nor does he have the mindset of a winner. Extending him past 5 years is a big mistake.
Perfectly said. The game is constantly evolving and there's no more time to gel and develop players cuz most likely those players aren't going to be here next year. We need a coach that knows how to win with who and what he has. Every year the roster will have turnovers and built in excuses for Dimel and Senter.

We're suppose to be happy we finished a game above. 500 cuz things could be way worse, like they were five years ago. In the same hand things could have been way better. Oh well UTEP will continue to bleed out whatever is left of the loyal fans. Won't be surprised when our crowds for CUSA 4.0 are on par with SHSU.

Perfectly said. The game is constantly evolving and there's no more time to gel and develop players cuz most likely those players aren't going to be here next year. We need a coach that knows how to win with who and what he has. Every year the roster will have turnovers and built in excuses for Dimel and Senter.

We're suppose to be happy we finished a game above. 500 cuz things could be way worse, like they were five years ago. In the same hand things could have been way better. Oh well UTEP will continue to bleed out whatever is left of the loyal fans. Won't be surprised when our crowds for CUSA 4.0 are on par with SHSU.
Exactly, folks close to the program sure love to throw out the “be grateful for a bowl game” speech on Twitter. The fan base is dwindling, Dimel with a winning season failed to bring in fans aside from one game. No wonder it’s the same ol same ol. I bet UTSA or UNT doesn’t have that approach.

Admit I did not expect to lose Cowing and Smith. That hurts alot. Flores will have to step up, but haven't seen it yet. Definitely need to get lucky and get a couple WR transfers. If not we'll be very one dimensional. Right now I'm saying 5-7, but hoping for a winning record. Defense should still be good.

Apparently, according to many on this board, we fans should be unhappy with the progress made in football and we should throw in the towel when adversity hits. Adversity such as good players hitting the transfer portal in a similar way that most college football programs face now.

If an improved Miner team, I didn't say great, can't draw more than 10k for the last home game, then maybe UTEP should think about fcs or division 2 football.

Apparently, according to many on this board, we fans should be unhappy with the progress made in football and we should throw in the towel when adversity hits. Adversity such as good players hitting the transfer portal in a similar way that most college football programs face now.

If an improved Miner team, I didn't say great, can't draw more than 10k for the last home game, then maybe UTEP should think about fcs or division 2 football.
Or maybe UTEP should think about bringing on an air raid or some form of exciting offense. The fans have spoken loud and clear and they dont like Dimel's style of football. This was the perfect time to do it. Instead we probably get another four years of Dimel at a salary that Georgia Southern got the USC coach for.

If Tech could afford a 3 million buyout for a coach that took them to 7 bowls, no one would flinch if we decided 7-6 after 4 years isn't good enough.

How does either improve the product on the field?
Let's start with netting in the end zones: would it improve the product on the field- No. It would help the equipment managers retrieve the ball from going into the stands. One of the athletic department sponsors Oscar Arrieta would be happy to see his employer be advertised .

THE GOOD HANDS® FIELD GOAL NET PROGRAM​

The Good Hands Field Goal Net program has enabled Allstate to truly get in the college football game. By working with schools across the country, the Allstate Good Hands logo appears on the field goal nets of 94 college and university stadiums, as well as at championship and bowl game events. For every field goal kicked into one of these nets, Allstate makes a donation to the school's scholarship fund. Through this program, Allstate has contributed millions of dollars to collegiate scholarships since 2005.

What is wrong with getting an upgrade in field lighting? It could be used as a recruiting tool and it would give the Sun🌞☀ Bowl🏟 a new look. It would help both teams locate the ball better without the glare. Even @YISDAthletics retrofitted LED lights at some of the high school stadiums (Bel Air, Eastwood, Ysleta, and Parkland).

Reactions: MineroFanatico
I like what the Wyoming coach did when he used social media in an attempt to attract a QB to replace his transferring QB. That coach was proactive and is adjusting to the new reality in college football. Dimel and staff should take notes and use social media and other means to look for two quality WRs early in the process.

Dimel needs to recruit hard to keep things moving up. His fifth year better be more successful than his fourth. Eight or more regular season wins plus a bowl win. If he is successful, a one or two year extension would be ok. But nothing longer than that. We don't need to be held hostage by a coach who had one good season. Go Miners.

Dimel needs to recruit hard to keep things moving up. His fifth year better be more successful than his fourth. Eight or more regular season wins plus a bowl win. If he is successful, a one or two year extension would be ok. But nothing longer than that. We don't need to be held hostage by a coach who had one good season. Go Miners.

I think you give him 5 or 6 year extensions with flexibility to get out of it cheap.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT