El Zid
Frazier
Solomon
Kalu??

First off the bench
Hebb
Dos Anjos
Camper

Solid starting five. Hoping Terrell and Jones make their presence felt.
Hebb needs a waiver to play this year, which is a longshot. Too bad because they could really use his shooting. I like the starting five, but none are really efficient offensively (or great FT shooters). Should be tough on defense with their athleticism.

Hebb needs a waiver to play this year, which is a longshot. Too bad because they could really use his shooting. I like the starting five, but none are really efficient offensively (or great FT shooters). Should be tough on defense with their athleticism.
Outside of Frazier, I am not a fan. But he'll, maybe they made a significant jump this past summer. I also am hearing good things about zid Powell but this is from the same media that hypes up Gavin Hardison.

Broaddus was honest about Kalu though, saying he hasn't seen much improvement in practice from him. I hope Hamilton makes a significant jump because we need a big man in the worst way.

Outside of Frazier, I am not a fan. But he'll, maybe they made a significant jump this past summer. I also am hearing good things about zid Powell but this is from the same media that hypes up Gavin Hardison.

Broaddus was honest about Kalu though, saying he hasn't seen much improvement in practice from him. I hope Hamilton makes a significant jump because we need a big man in the worst way.

For as big as he is, Hamilton has a really soft touch around the basket. I'm with you. I hope he's made significant progress.

Hardy
El Zid
Frazier
Solomon
Kalu??

First off the bench
Hebb
Dos Anjos
Camper

Solid starting five. Hoping Terrell and Jones make their presence felt.
Delete Hebb and add Terrell and Jones. I'm hoping one or both of those guys are break through players.

I dont see a lot of scoring either. Our defense will have to be spectacular and free throw shooting much improved.

Hope and pray we finally get a team that amounts to something. We have depth at guard. Reading their bios; they have each had some measure of success. Just a wait and see at this point.
Lil....will you be getting any scoop on the secret exhibition game? I'll keep it a secret.

So quick fun fact about Conference USA last year. Ended the season ranked as the 7th best conference in the nation. Highest it's been since days of Louisville, Marquette, Memphis, etc... Still only one bid, but FL. Atl and N.Texas now gone, definitely helped that. Obviously didn't matter, cause we always only get one bid. I'm just curious with good success with CUSAs one team that makes the NCAA over the years, does anything think with a good Liberty team coming in, if NMSU can right the ship, Utep and Golding can get Utep back, that CUSA would ever be a 2 bid league? I say probably not, but top to bottom the 9 teams and even Kennesaw St. joining next year after going to the NCAA last year is a nice little mid major league. Weakest team is probably FIU.

Hope and pray we finally get a team that amounts to something. We have depth at guard. Reading their bios; they have each had some measure of success. Just a wait and see at this point.
Lil....will you be getting any scoop on the secret exhibition game? I'll keep it a secret.
If I do hear anything, I will make sure to share.

So quick fun fact about Conference USA last year. Ended the season ranked as the 7th best conference in the nation. Highest it's been since days of Louisville, Marquette, Memphis, etc... Still only one bid, but FL. Atl and N.Texas now gone, definitely helped that. Obviously didn't matter, cause we always only get one bid. I'm just curious with good success with CUSAs one team that makes the NCAA over the years, does anything think with a good Liberty team coming in, if NMSU can right the ship, Utep and Golding can get Utep back, that CUSA would ever be a 2 bid league? I say probably not, but top to bottom the 9 teams and even Kennesaw St. joining next year after going to the NCAA last year is a nice little mid major league. Weakest team is probably FIU.
One fluke year isn't going to make CUSA a multiple bid league. The conference was really good last year but was very meh for years before that. I don't ever see CUSA being a multiple bid league again.

I agree but I also say Probably not to being a 2 bid league. Those top leagues are going to want 10 bids soon with expansion.

I predict tournament expansion where more low major conferences have to play in the play in games

It would be really tough getting two bids. The only scenario I see possible is for a team to have an FAU type regular season run, then losing late in the conference tournament. Even last year, there was talk about FAU being left out if they had gotten upset in the conference tournament (MTSU very nearly beat them in the semis). That said, I think they would have gotten in anyway as a 12/13 seed. I do think there is potential for the league to be a solid mid-major top to bottom.

One fluke year isn't going to make CUSA a multiple bid league. The conference was really good last year but was very meh for years before that. I don't ever see CUSA being a multiple bid league again.
As I pointed out every year over the last 6 or 7 years the one team from CUSA has upset single digits seads in the 1st round. Anyways, I agree probably won't be a multiple bid league unfortunately .However again if Utep and NMSU get their stuff together top to bottom it's a decent league Mid Major speaking. Only bad team is FIU.

As I pointed out every year over the last 6 or 7 years the one team from CUSA has upset single digits seads in the 1st round.
That does not indicate the overall quality of the league. Games are about matchups and luck. Last season, the NEC had a #16 seed upset #1 Purdue. Does the NEC deserve more bids?

CUSA has opportunity after opportunity to win road games and beat the best in college basketball during the regular reason. They usually fail to do so. That is how “good” a league is determined. Not a flukey game here and there in March.

As I pointed out every year over the last 6 or 7 years the one team from CUSA has upset single digits seads in the 1st round. Anyways, I agree probably won't be a multiple bid league unfortunately .However again if Utep and NMSU get their stuff together top to bottom it's a decent league Mid Major speaking. Only bad team is FIU.
FIU actually had a better conference record last year than UTEP, and they were able to hang onto some guys I figured they would lose to the portal (ex. Arturo Dean). Obviously, their location should be a big advantage. If their administration commits to athletics, I could see them passing UTEP like so many other schools already have.

Last edited:
I could see it happening, however it would be an anomaly. Obviously a team would have to go 28-3, maybe 27-4 ish, but lose in the CUSA championship for it to happen.

CUSA will never work it’s way up to being a consistent 2 bid league again, tho. It will a rarity…if it happens at all.

EDIT: sorry, just read further down and I basically repeated what train already said.

FIU actually had a better conference record last than UTEP last year, and they were able to hang onto some guys I figured they would lose to the portal (ex. Arturo Dean). Obviously, their location should be a big advantage. If their administration commits to athletics, I could see them passing UTEP like so many other schools already have.
FIU doesn’t have the fan support and likely never will. Their basketball arena isn’t getting upgraded anytime soon either.

FIU actually had a better conference record last than UTEP last year, and they were able to hang onto some guys I figured they would lose to the portal (ex. Arturo Dean). Obviously, their location should be a big advantage. If their administration commits to athletics, I could see them passing UTEP like so many other schools already have.
Don't hold your breath.

No.TenureCoachYearsRecordPct.
Totals9 coaches42 seasons496–714.410
11981–1990Rich Walker9108–134.446
21990–1995Bob Weltlich559–84.413
31995–2000Shakey Rodriguez579–66.545
42000–2004[a]Donnie Marsh419–84.184
52004–2009https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_FIU_Panthers_men's_basketball_head_coaches#cite_note-RoucoVacated-5

Reactions: Lil_Train
Rouco was supposed to take them to the top with his international ties to recruits after helping Billy Clyde. Didn't work out.

Reactions: PickMyAxe915
Rouco was supposed to take them to the top with his international ties to recruits after helping Billy Clyde. Didn't work out.
That is a name I forgot. I remember a big time player committed to UTEP that was recruited by him. Never made it to campus.

You don't need fan support or an arena to win, right? 😀
That’s correct, but their program will never be able to get to the “level” of UTEP because they don’t have those things.

FAU had a really nice season and might have a good one this year, but they will return to mediocrity soon enough. Because they don’t have those things either.

Reactions: TxRdKiller
That’s correct, but their program will never be able to get to the “level” of UTEP because they don’t have those things.

FAU had a really nice season and might have a good one this year, but they will return to mediocrity soon enough. Because they don’t have those things either.
FAU will have a shot to continue a level of success if they can hold onto May, which is also unlikely.

Camper ended up taking most of the starts from Solomon and Jones was placed into oblivion.

Next year's roster so far
Camper
Terrell
Horton
Hebb
Frazier
Jones
Kalu
Hamilton
Mbengue

Recruits: Thomas and Moreno

Last edited:
Camper ended up taking most of the starts from Solomon and Jones was placed into oblivion.

Next year's roster so far
Camper
Terrell
Horton
Hebb
Cole
Frazier
Jones
Kalu
Hamilton
Mbengue

Recruits: Thomas and Moreno
Cole is a walk-on, so there are two rides available at the moment.

Reactions: axingfools1
I didn't know that. Fixed it. Any insight as to additional recruits Train?
Nothing specific at this point. I would expect at least 2-3 from the portal, but it depends on how many of the current guys decide to transfer. I think the guys to keep an eye on are Frazier and Kalu. I heard some rumors that Kalu was looking at transferring last year, but ultimately decided to return.

Reactions: axingfools1
Nothing specific at this point. I would expect at least 2-3 from the portal, but it depends on how many of the current guys decide to transfer. I think the guys to keep an eye on are Frazier and Kalu. I heard some rumors that Kalu was looking at transferring last year, but ultimately decided to return.
I really don't like it when any contributor leaves, let alone a top returning player. I understand that's just the way it is now.

If Golding stays then I hope to see everybody back that could be a starter. I think these guys are solid pieces. Unless somebody can undoubtedly supplant them then I hope they stay.

I think Frazier is leaving, just my guess. I hope Kalu stays. He showed improvement towards the end of the year

Reactions: SAMINERGIRL
I think Frazier is leaving, just my guess. I hope Kalu stays. He showed improvement towards the end of the year
Could be, but if Frazier AND Jones leave then we have no forwards. Golding's recruiting doesn't reflect this at all.

Reactions: picks up
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT