ADVERTISEMENT

Coach Scotty 1st year Spring Practice

I am with Fili in this one. Talent almost wins.

It’s the reason teams recruit, it’s the reason professional teams draft. Coaching is important when talent is mostly even, upsets happens because of the human element.

Haskins was a legend but when he didn’t have talent, he lost.

You can always make the arguments with outliers, but those are the Disney Movies.

If you take an El Paso HS and give them the Duncanville Football Roster and their 40 D1 kids and give the Duncanville Staff an El Paso HS Roster, Duncanville still destroys the El Paso team.
Let's understand what Fili is talking about here. He sees no reason for note taking, doesn't believe that coaches add any value, and that everything is 100% talent. To him offensive schemes and plays are unimportant. Defensive schemes and plays are unimportant. Teaching the rules and instructing on technique is unimportant. The players are solely responsible for their success or failure. It's all BS.

Take your Duncanville example. Let the Duncanville players come in as freshmen each year with no coaches. The players determine their own starting lineups and substitution patterns. There are no set offensive plays, they draw them up in the huddle like we did when we were little: "John, go wide. Timmy, run to the 20, cut left. Frank, Brian, Mike, and Sam, block for me, I'm going to run if it if John or Timmy aren't open." Defensively everyone points at a man they will cover.

Now take those more talented players and have them play an El Paso team that is coached, has been taught, has an actual offense and a defense, has someone with more knowledge and experience calling plays, making assignments, etc., and let's see who wins.

Yes, talent is extremely important. But the idea that players don't need coaching, don't need to be trained on how to play their position, don’t need a playbook, etc. is completely ridiculous. Again, talent matters. So does coaching.

Last edited:
Looking forward to hearing about the QB situation this spring! Are practices open and will any of y'all be attending regularly?

Reactions: Lil_Train
I am with Fili in this one. Talent almost wins.

It’s the reason teams recruit, it’s the reason professional teams draft. Coaching is important when talent is mostly even, upsets happens because of the human element.

Haskins was a legend but when he didn’t have talent, he lost.

You can always make the arguments with outliers, but those are the Disney Movies.

If you take an El Paso HS and give them the Duncanville Football Roster and their 40 D1 kids and give the Duncanville Staff an El Paso HS Roster, Duncanville still destroys the El Paso team.
This is the thinking…. So you are telling me that an Alabama national championship team would be just as good if nick Saban was the coach or Sean kugler….. let that sink in for a bit

This is the thinking…. So you are telling me that an Alabama national championship team would be just as good if nick Saban was the coach or Sean kugler….. let that sink in for a bit

I am saying they would have beat the crap out of UTEP.

Let's understand what Fili is talking about here. He sees no reason for note taking, doesn't believe that coaches add any value, and that everything is 100% talent. To him offensive schemes and plays are unimportant. Defensive schemes and plays are unimportant. Teaching the rules and instructing on technique is unimportant. The players are solely responsible for their success or failure. It's all BS.

Take your Duncanville example. Let the Duncanville players come in as freshmen each year with no coaches. The players determine their own starting lineups and substitution patterns. There are no set offensive plays, they draw them up in the huddle like we did when we were little: "John, go wide. Timmy, run to the 20, cut left. Frank, Brian, Mike, and Sam, block for me, I'm going to run if it if John or Timmy aren't open." Defensively everyone points at a man they will cover.

Now take those more talented players and have them play an El Paso team that is coached, has been taught, has an actual offense and a defense, has someone with more knowledge and experience calling plays, making assignments, etc., and let's see who wins.

Yes, talent is extremely important. But the idea that players don't need coaching, don't need to be trained on how to play their position, don’t need a playbook, etc. is completely ridiculous. Again, talent matters. So does coaching.

I didn't say take a team and not give them ANY Coaching.

If you do not have talent, you will not win. Talent has to be on the Court and Field or Coaching isn't going to matter much.

When UTEP used to do a huge High School 7on7 Tournament with all the local schools, Mike Price would bring in guys from all over the country on recruiting visits and he would place them on a team called The Renegades. And they would beat some of the local schools. One Renegade team was in the Semi-Finals. And they litteraly just ran man coverage and on offense drew up plays in the huddle. That was with zero coaching.

Lot of Talent in that QB Room... Spring game is going to be interesting
I'd be surprised if the back up from AP Heather Locklear's Grandson ,😅 doesn't get the starting job, because he knows the offense. I also think McConnell has a shot. He stayed for a reason and the kid has some Fire! I just don't know if he's mobile enough to play Walden's offense.

I'd be surprised if the back up from AP Heather Locklear's Grandson ,😅 doesn't get the starting job, because he knows the offense. I also think McConnell has a shot. He stayed for a reason and the kid has some Fire! I just don't know if he's mobile enough to play Walden's offense.

You don’t have to be mobile in this offense but you do need to be on the same page as your wideouts and have a stronger than average arm.

Lots of Choice Routes in this offense with Wide splits by the wideouts. The QB and the WR must both see the same thing on defense because they are not predetermined.

If a guy is in Press Coverage, a coach probably wants to go deep, if he is playing off, coach wants to run a simple hitch. In this offense there is an answer to both. Choice route. It allows you to play Super Fast and have a 1 play call and you don’t care what the defense is in because your route isn’t set in stone. Hendon Hooker, Drew Locke, Joe Milton all ran this system. Big arms, they could move but not required to.

Will be interesting as time goes on... Yes -- good observation Locklear does know the offense and McConnell has more experience than the rest but they did recruit some good young QBs -- I think we will see how it plays out on the 20th hope the stadium is packed

Will be interesting as time goes on... Yes -- good observation Locklear does know the offense and McConnell has more experience than the rest but they did recruit some good young QBs -- I think we will see how it plays out on the 20th hope the stadium is packed

Surprised that they are charging for the Spring Game. Don’t remember that being done before

Reactions: picks up
Can't wait for Football to start. Not, cause I think UTEP will be undefeated or beat Nebraska or Tennessee or even win 7 or 8 games. I'm excited to see the new attitude and offense in action and how this team responds to Walden. I have no predictions, but I'm excited!

Lot of Talent in that QB Room... Spring game is going to be interesting

Your son is terrific!!!

Been at UTEP for 2 days now. The energy that Walden brings is not an Act. He is in every drill, he’s the hype man, endless energy, and everyone feeds off of it.

Offense is what Walden brings from Austin Peay. Fast Tempo, downhill running, RPO’s.

I think it’s an offense that fans will like if it clicks.

Everyone wants to know who the QB is going to be. I feel it’s a 2 man race between Skyler Locklear and Cade McConnell. Skyler is a pretty good runner. JP Pickles is next in line for now. It is Spring and depth charts will probably be done after summer and fall camp. Kevin Hurley is a receiver.

WR group is solid. They make contested catches and they’re coached by the OC. It’s a good group. Lots of speed. There were several explosive pass plays. Guys making contested catches.

21 and 4 were the Running Backs that seemed to get the bulk of the reps . Don’t know their names.

Names I kept hearing were Odums, Kam Thomas, I think I heard Spriggs…..I kept looking at the roster on my phone and a lot of the guys that impressed me were not guys that had a number on the Spring Roster. #5 on Defense was a LB, he’s special.

Walden mentioned the new locker room will be one of the best in the nation. Also mentioned the NIL collective in roll out in the next week or two.

Eavesdropped on a couple of the Athletic Department Staff talk about Walden. Spoke highly of him. Staff is super young. One noted is that UTEP is giving him all the tools to succeed. It was almost as if they were implying that had given up on Dimel a while back, gave Walden a blank check, and he is the most important person on campus.

I’m pretty excited to see what happens with this group. Such a great Culture and energy being put together.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT