ADVERTISEMENT

Dimel appreciation thread

I keep reading a couple of posts that UTEP had a late season collapse. Really? A collapse? I thought at the beginning of the season, we ALL knew that we had a much tougher end of the year schedule than beginning. I disagree with the word collapse. I think the correct verbiage would be reality. UTEP had a better than expected beginning of the season and hit reality at the end of the season. I’m still all In on Dimel. He has done an amazing job with what he was given. Was he a flashy hire? No. But he was the right hire. He is a program builder. Now is he the guy to take the program to a conference championship? I’m still on the fence. But what I do know is that he definitely has turned the ship and if it doesn’t work out with him, finding the next head coach shouldn’t be as hard as the last time.
Well said. Love this post

Reactions: TxRdKiller
Please explain. The school, and conference, receive money for both. The NCAA Tournament is definitely a much, much more significant accomplishment than making a minor bowl game. Being one of 68 Tournament teams (out of 353) brings slightly more recognition than being one of 84 (out of 130) bowl teams, and winning a Tornament game brings much more notoriety than winning a minor bowl game. By appearing in the Tournament you have a chance, no matter how small it may be, of winning a National Championship. Only four FBS teams will get a chance to play for that honor, and we will never be one of them. I am happy that we are going to a bowl game, but it is undeniably a lesser accomplishment than making the Tournament, and I am curious to find out how the bowl game is a bigger boon to the University.

Other than that I agree with your post.
Let’s ask La Tech? They were obviously not satisfied with Holtz. Hope Dimel invites him for dinner this week.

More thoughts on Dimel. He is an average coach. He has raised UTEP up from bad to mediocre. He could raise the team up to average or above average next year. We'll see. Long term, he may never be a great coach, but UTEP needs to fork over the bucks if they want a great coach. Dimel deserves credit for what he has done, but he needs to step up if he wants long term success. Areas to pay attention to are Special Teams play, penalties, time management and play calling. These really need improvement. I also want to see if Dimel can keep recruiting the better athletes. Time will tell. Go Miners.

What no one is realizing is that Dimel isn't done and this year wasn't the Pinnacle of where UTEP can be. This year was another brick on the foundation Dimel is trying to build. I was upset at Fridays miscues and the loss I attended at N. Texas like any other Miner fan. However I saw this team compete game in and game out despite way too many mistakes and a glaring weakness at special teams. I saw a team have a chance to win 9 and possibly 10 wins, but is still learning how to win. A team that didn't lose to a team with a losing record like they always do. So let's stop acting like we as Miner have a right with Uteps football history to be so damn harsh on a coach that built this team from the bottom to about to find out what Bowl we are going to. I don't know if we'll win the bowl game, but I hope we do and I believe this team will be better next year and learn how to win games we should've this year!

Terry Bowden took over the “worst team in the country” last year. He’s currently 4-7 and the lowest paid coach in country. He won 2 conference games and beat Liberty. Dimel didn’t win his 2nd conference game until year 3. Dimel hasn’t beaten a team as good as Liberty either, and Bowden did it in his FIRST season!

Signed 24 transfers. Almost the entire 2 deep is from the transfer Portal. Its one way to turn things around, but its not building anything.

Hes done a fair job, but he is basically the Rodney Terry of College Football

Signed 24 transfers. Almost the entire 2 deep is from the transfer Portal. Its one way to turn things around, but its not building anything.

If he could do that and keep Utep above .500 consistently and every now and again sniff 8-10 wins I'll sign up for that. I think most Miner Fans would.

What no one is realizing is that Dimel isn't done and this year wasn't the Pinnacle of where UTEP can be. This year was another brick on the foundation Dimel is trying to build. I was upset at Fridays miscues and the loss I attended at N. Texas like any other Miner fan. However I saw this team compete game in and game out despite way too many mistakes and a glaring weakness at special teams. I saw a team have a chance to win 9 and possibly 10 wins, but is still learning how to win. A team that didn't lose to a team with a losing record like they always do. So let's stop acting like we as Miner have a right with Uteps football history to be so damn harsh on a coach that built this team from the bottom to about to find out what Bowl we are going to. I don't know if we'll win the bowl game, but I hope we do and I believe this team will be better next year and learn how to win games we should've this year!
We only have 11 seniors leaving, only one sure loss on schedule in OU, and two shaky games with Boise in EP and UTSA in SA. If Cowing comes back, I can definitely see 8-10 wins on the schedule depending on how Dimel hits the JUCO trail. I’d love to see him get some CBs, hold open walk on try outs for kicker/punter, and work on the discipline with penalties.

I didn’t like the end of the season either, but at the end of the day he’s gone from two one win seasons to a three win, and now seven win season. Being able to point to that and say “hey, you’re getting in on the ground level of what we’re building” is a much better and easier recruiting pitch than “hey help us turn it around”.

Realignment is all about football. We got very lucky CUSA survived this round of realignment. We can't get left behind in another round of realignment. To make ourselves attractive and in good position we have to be good at football. If we ever want to get out of one bid league in hoops we have to be good at football. As a result bowl appearances are 100x more valuable for UTEP than NCAA tourney appearances.
The MWC isn’t going to take UTEP because they made a couple of New Mexico Bowls.

We will see. Still did a lot more things in his 1st season than Dimel did.

There Jerry Kill hiring at NMSU is very interesting. He's a great coach.
CUSA 4.0 might be decent. WKU, MTSU, UTEP, and Liberty are all bowl bound.

The NMSU hire looks good. I'm sure LT will bring in someone that will have them competitive fast. Maybe FIU makes a splashy hire.

I'm not expecting too much from the FCS schools but they can come in and be mid table or better from the get go.

It will be interesting to see who Jacksonville St hires. They got rid of a coach who went 72-26 cuz he had one losing season. The job is supposedly drawing heavy interest.

Reactions: EMA884
CUSA 4.0 might be decent. WKU, MTSU, UTEP, and Liberty are all bowl bound.

The NMSU hire looks good. I'm sure LT will bring in someone that will have them competitive fast. Maybe FIU makes a splashy hire.

I'm not expecting too much from the FCS schools but they can come in and be mid table or better from the get go.

It will be interesting to see who Jacksonville St hires. They got rid of a coach who went 72-26 cuz he had one losing season. The job is supposedly drawing heavy interest.
WKU lost to all the good teams they played
MTSU beat Monmouth and UConn
Liberty’s best wins were all CUSA teams

Problem remains the same - only beat trash, lose to anyone good.

WKU lost to all the good teams they played
MTSU beat Monmouth and UConn
Liberty’s best wins were all CUSA teams

Problem remains the same - only beat trash, lose to anyone good.
At the G5 level all you have to do is beat one team with a winning record to be good. If you beat 2 then you're very good. If you beat 3 or more then you're top of the class.

At the G5 level all you have to do is beat one team with a winning record to be good. If you beat 2 then you're very good. If you beat 3 or more then you're top of the class.
According to who?

CUSA football will be about the same, just with lesser teams. Will be interesting to see what Liberty does with their non-conference schedule.

Basketball might be better, only because the top half and because there’s lesser teams at the bottom.

According to who?

CUSA football will be about the same, just with lesser teams. Will be interesting to see what Liberty does with their non-conference schedule.

Basketball might be better, only because the top half and because there’s lesser teams at the bottom.
According to what actually happens.

Look at the ranked G5 teams.

(4) Cincinnati - 4 wins over winning teams 11-1 Notre Dame, 8-4 UCF, 8-4 SMU, 7-5 ECU

(15) UTSA - 3 wins 8-4 WKU, 8-4 UAB, 7-5 UTEP

(19) Houston - 2 wins 8-4 SMU, 7-5 ECU

(23) Louisiana - 3 wins 10-1 App St, 7-5 Liberty, 7-5 Georgia St

This is the class of the G5 world.

(4) Cincinnati - 4 wins over winning teams 11-1 Notre Dame, 8-4 UCF, 8-4 SMU, 7-5 ECU

Well Cincy and Houston are not going to be part of the G5 much longer. This year you're correct except you're missing Sand Diego St.

Reactions: NoNCAAWinsSince1992
Well Cincy and Houston are not going to be part of the G5 much longer. This year you're correct except you're missing Sand Diego St.
Completely missed them.

(22) SDSU - 4 wins 9-3 Utah, 9-3 Air Force, 8-4 Nevada, 7-5 Boise St

UTSA’s best win is over Illinois. Nobody would consider their UTEP win better than that Illinois win. Only non-conference matters. Cincinnati wouldn’t be going to the playoffs (maybe) if they didn’t beat Notre Dame.

I'm sure LT will bring in someone that will have them competitive fast

The boosters coughed up the money for Skip’s buyout even though they recently signed him to an extension. They’re hungry out there and I can see them spending some good money to make a splash

Maybe FIU makes a splashy hire.
Sadly I really doubt that. If the reports of what their previous coach put up with are true, FIU might not be long for the FBS or football in general. Kill at NMSU will be interesting, but we’ll see how a coach who previously medically retired handles one of the most difficult jobs in FBS.

UTSA’s best win is over Illinois. Nobody would consider their UTEP win better than that Illinois win. Only non-conference matters. Cincinnati wouldn’t be going to the playoffs (maybe) if they didn’t beat Notre Dame.
Aside from Cincinnati and SDSU no ranked team beat a team with a winning record ooc. As you say, "only beat trash"

The boosters coughed up the money for Skip’s buyout even though they recently signed him to an extension. They’re hungry out there and I can see them spending some good money to make a splash

Sadly I really doubt that. If the reports of what their previous coach put up with are true, FIU might not be long for the FBS or football in general. Kill at NMSU will be interesting, but we’ll see how a coach who previously medically retired handles one of the most difficult jobs in FBS.
FIU will have the highest or second highest, behind Liberty, athletic budget. Even if what Davis said is true it sure didn't stop him from making 3 bowls and having the best season in FIU history at 9-4.

FIU will have the highest or second highest, behind Liberty, athletic budget. Even if what Davis said is true it sure didn't stop him from making 3 bowls and having the best season in FIU history at 9-4.
FIU did make a Splash Hire. Butch Davis led Miami to a Sugar Bowl win, was the Cleveland Browns HC, Cowboys DC, UNC head coach.

Reactions: JCorona
FIU did make a Splash Hire. Butch Davis led Miami to a Sugar Bowl win, was the Cleveland Browns HC, Cowboys DC, UNC head coach.
And he did very well in the beginning. Took over a team whose best season in their history was 7-6 and turned them into overnight winners. The man is 70 years old and it's clear his best days are behind him. I wonder how good FIU would have been if they had never fired Cristobal.

Aside from Cincinnati and SDSU no ranked team beat a team with a winning record ooc. As you say, "only beat trash"
That’s only part of it. If you beat winning teams inside your conference, that makes you not trash too, unlike CUSA. CUSA only beats trash, therefore they are trash. Fresno beat UCLA. Cincinnati beat Indiana, SMU beat TCU, Nevada beat Cal. All of those help your conference and determine who is good. Beating your mediocre confidence mates does nothing. UTEP is not a good team because they beat BCU, NMSU, and UNM. They didn’t beat their 7-5 MWC opponent.

That’s only part of it. If you beat winning teams inside your conference, that makes you not trash too, unlike CUSA. CUSA only beats trash, therefore they are trash. Fresno beat UCLA. Cincinnati beat Indiana, SMU beat TCU, Nevada beat Cal. All of those help your conference and determine who is good. Beating your mediocre confidence mates does nothing. UTEP is not a good team because they beat BCU, NMSU, and UNM. They didn’t beat their 7-5 MWC opponent.
Indiana is trash. This isn't about UTEP.

Not sure what your point is but none of the ranked g5 teams are boasting about having UTEP as an ooc win.
Just saying that just because you beat your conference opponents, it doesn’t mean anything if they don’t beat anyone OOC. UTSA will probably fall out of the Top 25 because of their 1 loss because CUSA is trash. Referring back to CUSA 4.0 still being trash if they don’t win meaningful OOC games.

Just saying that just because you beat your conference opponents, it doesn’t mean anything if they don’t beat anyone OOC. UTSA will probably fall out of the Top 25 because of their 1 loss because CUSA is trash. Referring back to CUSA 4.0 still being trash if they don’t win meaningful OOC games.
All I did was list wins over winning teams. Which was my original point. All you have to do is beat a couple of them and of course not lose to bad teams to be considered a top 25 team. As Louisiana and Houston showed you don't even have to beat anyone good ooc.

Yea and he’s gone 6-7, 0-5, and 1-11 in the seasons since. The school has a gorgeous campus in Miami and it should be an easy sell to recruits, but doesn’t seem to get the necessary fan or administrative support. Until the new AD or school admins come out and make a statement or pledge, I just don’t see them doing anything unless they catch lighting in a bottle every few seasons.

My problem with Dimel is the same problems have been happening for his entire tenure. Has he increased the talent,sure. Has he corrected his and the players mistakes, not even close. What makes anyone believe that will change after four years of the same.

Reactions: axingfools1
Dimel doesn’t move the needle, attendance wise. Even for a “good” season we had a bunch of low attended games. Is that due to Dimel or the program as a whole? Does Senter and Wilson care about that? Or are they satisfied with the results, clearly they are moving in the right direction. Pending a team that appears to be a tad undisciplined and horrible special teams… Seeya Price. Next year should be better? Or should it? I am not sold that Dimel can beat average teams. Or can he? ODU finished 💪 maybe even USM. They had a shot at UNT and UAB, let’s see how they do in the bowl game. A win would be amazing for this program.

I sure hope he can come up with a game plan to win whoever we play. Just don’t believe he is capable l. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE prove me wrong Dimel.

Reactions: utep-piggy
My problem with Dimel is the same problems have been happening for his entire tenure. Has he increased the talent,sure. Has he corrected his and the players mistakes, not even close. What makes anyone believe that will change after four years of the same.
Work on the short game.
Work on the run block. UTEP took a step back since spring game where they looked dominant.
Efficiency. Efficiency. Efficiency. Dropped passes, bad passes, sacks behind scrimmage are a loss of down without as so much of an inch gain (this is a game of inches). Twice in a row and the drive series is pretty much done. UTEP did this on two to three series Friday.

I'll say that UTEP 100% blew at least 2 games with special teams and bone head penalties. This team could've been 8-4 or 9-3 relatively easy, with a couple of fixes. Let's put that in perspective! From where we were Miners were close to 8 or 9 wins!!! I still have issues with Dimel, but gained respect when he opened it up the last two games and hope he does the same in the bowl game. I'm pretty sure he lets Price go as ST coach and hopefully next year this team beats some good teams, that's the next step.

Reactions: axingfools1
I'll say that UTEP 100% blew at least 2 games with special teams and bone head penalties. This team could've been 8-4 or 9-3 relatively easy, with a couple of fixes. Let's put that in perspective! From where we were Miners were close to 8 or 9 wins!!! I still have issues with Dimel, but gained respect when he opened it up the last two games and hope he does the same in the bowl game. I'm pretty sure he lets Price go as ST coach and hopefully next year this team beats some good teams, that's the next step.
FAU and North Texas were winnable games. Even UAB had we not beaten ourselves. 9-3 easily. 10-2 probable.

True but we could’ve blown a couple of the wins we got as well so maybe it all balances out. Overall good year
Ummm which wins came down to the wire? As I recall none of our 7 wins were really in doubt the last 10 min in the 4th quarter really.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT