ADVERTISEMENT

Dimel has done some good things...

jdubb66

MI Hall of Famer
Feb 10, 2009
Hear me OUT!

He's taken us to a bowl game. One in which we showed well

He's recruited NFL caliber players in, Cowen, Knight, Amawhule?, the OL that went to Florida.

He's been able to keep a lot of guys that are good and has made UTEP competitive.

The players obviously like him AND,

Last but not least, he wins the time of possession battle almost every time!

• Angry
Reactions: MINER.JAY
I don’t disagree that he’s had some level of success at UTEP. He did rebuild this program from the ground up, he’s gotten 2 East Coast wins but you’re judged by wins and losses at the end of the day. In my lifetime he’s arguably the 2nd best UTEP coach behind Mike Price and that probably speaks more to the lack of quality coaches than his talent. What annoys me is the fact that he could have been way more successful had he relinquished control of the offense.

I don’t disagree that he’s had some level of success at UTEP. He did rebuild this program from the ground up, he’s gotten 2 East Coast wins but you’re judged by wins and losses at the end of the day. In my lifetime he’s arguably the 2nd best UTEP coach behind Mike Price and that probably speaks more to the lack of quality coaches than his talent. What annoys me is the fact that he could have been way more successful had he relinquished control of the offense.
Devils advocate:

There was no other way to go but up based on the program he took over. He could have made it worse I guess, but that would have taken some effort. Like jdubb pointed out, atleast he didn't put the program in probation?

Has he really had success? His most successful season was a 7-6 season against possibly the easiest schedule you could play against (majority of the wins against bottom 20 teams). And we hang our hat on a moral victory in the New Mexico Bowl. Still lost, again. So 19 wins in six seasons. Yay.

I'm sick of the acceptance of mediocrity (or worse) and the moral victories. Dimel should be competing for conference championships. Just sneaking into one bowl game in six seasons isn't good enough. But that's just me.

Devils advocate:

There was no other way to go but up based on the program he took over. He could have made it worse I guess, but that would have taken some effort. Like jdubb pointed out, atleast he didn't put the program in probation?

Has he really had success? His most successful season was a 7-6 season against possibly the easiest schedule you could play against (majority of the wins against bottom 20 teams). And we hang our hat on a moral victory in the New Mexico Bowl. Still lost, again. So 19 wins in six seasons. Yay.

I'm sick of the acceptance of mediocrity (or worse) and the moral victories. Dimel should be competing for conference championships. Just sneaking into one bowl game in six seasons isn't good enough. But that's just me.
I agree 100% with what you’re saying. It’s time for him to go but UTEP really has to knock this next hire out of the park. But at the same time I hope there is a good pool of candidates as well.

It’s easy to make a bowl game now since there are so many. All you have to do is pretty much go .500 and you are going bowling. It’s pathetic he could only make one considering how easy his strength of schedule is every season.
And didn’t Fresno States coach and QB leave before the New Mexico Bowl?? And Dimel still lost.

It’s easy to make a bowl game now since there are so many. All you have to do is pretty much go .500 and you are going bowling. It’s pathetic he could only make one considering how easy his strength of schedule is.
And didn’t Fresno States coach and QB leave before the New Mexico Bowl?? And Dimel still lost.
You just have to be a top 84 team or however many bowl teams there are.

It’s easy to make a bowl game now since there are so many. All you have to do is pretty much go .500 and you are going bowling. It’s pathetic he could only make one considering how easy his strength of schedule is every season.
I agree with you it’s easier to make a bowl game with so many bowl games out there and with many teams scheduling FCS schools.

If I remember correctly, the Fresno St. QB had announced he was transferring but changed his mind and played the bowl game. The Miners played a good game overall and were driving late in the game for a go a head score when a costly Hardisson interception cost us the game. Many of us had high expectations for the following season since we had played a solid Fresno State team toe to toe and many of our guys were coming back the following season. The following season turned out to be a huge disappointment just like this one.

I would put Gary Nord over Dimel. UTEP was co-WAC champions in his first year and recruited all the players for Price.
I think it was 2000, but that was a fun team to watch! The Sun Bowl was absolutely Rock'n for a couple of those games that season! I believe that's the year we lost to a Gary Barnett led Buffalo's team in the Houston Bowl, but it was a great game and we should've won!

I think it was 2000, but that was a fun team to watch! The Sun Bowl was absolutely Rock'n for a couple of those games that season! I believe that's the year we lost to a Gary Barnett led Buffalo's team in the Houston Bowl, but it was a great game and we should've won!
Houston bowl was 2004 IIRC. Humanitarian bowl was 2000, where Boise smacked us around.

Where do you all place Bob Stull. I have him ahead of Dismel.

Yep, very fun year! I remember being on the field after the Rice game.

UTEP lost to Boise State in the Humanitarian Bowl.

You can easily make the argument for that, but he didn’t win a bowl either. And Nord got a Conference Title amd then it was a disaster afterwards. Frankly they are all meh at the end..

Stull was 21-15 over 3 years and 10-3 in his last year.

Nord was 14-34 over 4 years and was 8-4 in his first year. The three years was rebuilding and Nord would have been successful in year four.

Dimel is 19-45 over 5 1/2 seasons.

Stull was a damn good coach at UTEP. There is NO comparison between him and Dimel. NONE. BS did exactly what a quality coach does and built from one year to the next. Going 4-8 to 7-4 to 10-3…in a good WAC conference that would put today’s CUSA to shame.

I would place him n the top 2 UTEP football coaches since the 1960s.

How do we keep the good but improve instead of starting all over? How about hiring a really good Offensive Coordinator to actually run the offense.

How do we keep the good but improve instead of starting all over? How about hiring a really good Offensive Coordinator to actually run the offe

How do we keep the good but improve instead of starting all over? How about hiring a really good Offensive Coordinator to actually run the offense.
I feel for Dimel to even have a shot at staying another year would be to hire an OC that can be allowed to run his own offense not Dimel's. I don't have a lot of faith in that happening though.

I feel for Dimel to even have a shot at staying another year would be to hire an OC that can be allowed to run his own offense not Dimel's. I don't have a lot of faith in that happening though.
Dismel is convinced that running an antiquated offense is the way to win. This is all he knows and will not adjust to todays game. Needs to join Nord, Lee, Kugs, to the bench.

Gary Nord lost control of the team, but Mike Price “overachieved” (his words back then) in his first year and all with Nord players. Even Price was impressed with his recruiting; however, he did let some go and got them on FCS teams.

I did like Kugler’s players but his offense was
Dismel is convinced that running an antiquated offense is the way to win. This is all he knows and will not adjust to todays game. Needs to join Nord, Lee, Kugs, to the bench.
Don't forget David Lee.

• Haha
Reactions: INCONFUSAUNOT
Stull was a damn good coach at UTEP. There is NO comparison between him and Dimel. NONE. BS did exactly what a quality coach does and built from one year to the next. Going 4-8 to 7-4 to 10-3…in a good WAC conference that would put today’s CUSA to shame.

I would place him n the top 2 UTEP football coaches since the 1960s.
Stull’s teams were solid- great staff and environment- great evaluators of talent- and he let his assistance do their job. Don’t think we will ever see a storm like that come through again unfortunately. But we can all still dream.

I was a kid when Stull was here so I only remember bits and pieces from the 88 season, mostly that trashing they took vs Wyoming on TV. But Stull was in his late 30s when he took over at UTEP, and maybe he was that young firey guy who brought in a lot of like minded guys who were out to conquer the world. Dimel seems like he has a good eye for talent (QB aside) but the offensive side of the game has passed him by. It’s like you guys said, if he stays he needs to give up control of the offense. But will anyone of value come in knowing he’s a lame duck coach on a 1 year deal? I doubt it.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT