ADVERTISEMENT

Finding the next great coach

I believe Bob Marlin of Louisiana Lafayette and Sam Houston prior to that was interested in the Miner job after Barbee left. I don't know if he ever did apply and interview, Stull is very secretive on those matters as we all know. If he were to remain interested, I would be very high on him. As for football, since Kuglar will be back next season, I'll wait...alot will happen between now and then.

I would love to have a young, proven, assistant coach who is hungry for his first head coaching job. I wouldn't mind taken a coach from the D2 ranks.

Paul Weir is in his 1st yr as head coach at NMSU after a number of years as an asst. He is young and makes $250k per year and with incentives could make up to $340k. A bargain when compared to Floyd's pay of over $600k.

Reactions: UTEP05
Andrew Toole, Robert Morris
Coffman, Fort Wayne
Kyle Neptune Asst., Villanova
Tommy Lloyd Asst, Gonzaga

Paul Weir is in his 1st yr as head coach at NMSU after a number of years as an asst. He is young and makes $250k per year and with incentives could make up to $340k. A bargain when compared to Floyd's pay of over $600k.

Coming here would be a step down for him. After a few years I wouldn't be surprised if he gets picked up by a bigger school.

If we're just throwing out semi-realistic names...I gotta go with Cross from UT Arlington. He wouldn't take on this shit show, but I wish he would.

If its Stull doing the hiring, its going to be an ole' buddy of his or a has-been looking for one last dance (god forbid Phil Johnson even gets an interview).

IMO, shouldn't matter who the AD is, Kimani Young should be UTEP's next head coach.

Dude can recruit, he locked down two composite top-150 players from the east coast in this current class and is starting to carve a niche with east coast pipelines in the recruiting game. They also signed Amir Coffey last year who was the #1 player in the state of Minnesota, and #32 overall player in the nation and is doing pretty good this year as a frosh.

Not saying he'd flow the well with 5* and 4* type guys, but I can guarantee you we would have some legit dudes with hair on their chest, and a chip on their shoulder.

He's young and hungry, he Tweets!!! and he'd be the first player to ever to come back and be the HC, and did I mention he can recruit? Figure he'd run a high-tempo guard oriented type offense, but I think more importantly he could build a new-age type culture.

UTEP needs a complete culture overhaul, and with the way he has repaired his image since getting caught up after college while trying to find his way, I think he's ready.

If its Stull doing the hiring, its going to be an ole' buddy of his or a has-been looking for one last dance (god forbid Phil Johnson even gets an interview).

IMO, shouldn't matter who the AD is, Kimani Young should be UTEP's next head coach.

Dude can recruit, he locked down two composite top-150 players from the east coast in this current class and is starting to carve a niche with east coast pipelines in the recruiting game. They also signed Amir Coffey last year who was the #1 player in the state of Minnesota, and #32 overall player in the nation and is doing pretty good this year as a frosh.

Not saying he'd flow the well with 5* and 4* type guys, but I can guarantee you we would have some legit dudes with hair on their chest, and a chip on their shoulder.

He's young and hungry, he Tweets!!! and he'd be the first player to ever to come back and be the HC, and did I mention he can recruit? Figure he'd run a high-tempo guard oriented type offense, but I think more importantly he could build a new-age type culture.

UTEP needs a complete culture overhaul, and with the way he has repaired his image since getting caught up after college while trying to find his way, I think he's ready.

I see no reason to question Young's character after the way he has overcome that total lapse in judgement in 1999. He is as solid as can be and there is a lot to recommend him. My only question is head coaching experience at any level?

I see no reason to question Young's character after the way he has overcome that total lapse in judgement in 1999. He is as solid as can be and there is a lot to recommend him. My only question is head coaching experience at any level?
I agree, his past shouldn't even be an issue at all.

The "big knock" though is the lack of head coaching experience, but as the leader of the Kimani Young-to-UTEP movement, he's been Dick Patino's right hand man since 2006 going back to FIU so he's been a #1 or #2 assistant for almost a decade so does/could that make up for it when game management situations arise? Seems like the only gamble imo.

He has worked his way up the chain a la Erik Spoelstra as a close example, #MakeUTEPYoungAgain

Roy Smallwood is one of my favorite UTEP players ever. Tough player, versatile, and persevered through a lot. And he stuck around, that doesn't happen anymore.

Roy Smallwood is one of my favorite UTEP players ever. Tough player, versatile, and persevered through a lot. And he stuck around, that doesn't happen anymore.
Mine too, I'm a younger generation fan, but Roy will always be my favorite, so glad he got a taste of the tourney after what he went through injury wise.

That’s who I wanted before Golding. I doubt if he will be available when and if we need a new coach. I definitely think he will get a P5 job.

Seems to be that getting a job within your own conference or comparable conference where you were a top assistant/recruiter works best. I would expect him to try and stay in the big east. If he wanted UTEP that would be great, but im not sure it would work. Let's see what happens if UCONN wins the championship.

Last edited:
Well, I’m finally realizing, and I am ashamed to admit, is yo not only need a great bench coach. Somebody needs to bring in the recruits. I think Golding is probably fine as a bench coach, he is, at best, a mediocre recruiter. You need both, or assistants who can kick ass and one or both of those areas.

Reactions: FarWestTexas
This may be a name for a couple years down the road: What about Quintin Demps? He had a good NFL career, has been involved in the community. If he does a good job at Judson would that be a name to look at?

This may be a name for a couple years down the road: What about Quintin Demps? He had a good NFL career, has been involved in the community. If he does a good job at Judson would that be a name to look at?
This is just a personal feeling but after going thru the Floyd and Kugler coaching departures I'd say no. I don't care how tough coaches act at this level and "I know what I'm getting into" sentiment, it still a gut punching thing. What makes this harder is that they are own family. I get queezy over the bromance with Doc Sadler every time he steps on UTEP soil. I hope some day Floyd and Kugler are treated with respect and admiration just as much as Doc when they step back on the same ground.

Last edited:
I don’t know about Kugler due to recent events …but Floyd for sure- very well said though about Doc. I don’t get it either.

Reactions: kickballpro
This is just a personal feeling but after going thru the Floyd and Kugler coaching departures I'd say no. I don't care how tough coaches act at this level and "I know what I'm getting into" sentiment, it still a gut punching thing. What makes this harder is that they are own family. I get queezy over the bromance with Doc Sadler every time he steps on UTEP soil. I hope some day Floyd and Kugler are treated with respect and admiration just as much as Doc is when they step back on the same ground.
I would never say that we need to hire a UTEP guy just because they went to UTEP. This will be Demps’ first year as a head coach and he obviously needs to prove that he’s deserving of a division 1 job. I am just saying: If he’s proven himself as deserving of a Division 1 job, and he is a qualified candidate would that be a name to look at?

I would want Jordan Palmer before Demps. He would probably bring in a top notch QB. He has good connections.
And zero coaching experience. UTEP shouldn't be a starter school for the head coach. Maybe if Demps does well and were ever hired then he could bring on Palmer as a QB coach (but I would gather that Palmer is just fine doing what he does now).

Our next coach needs to be a Price type hire…. a good P5 caliber coach that has baggage and needs a second chance. The football program can afford another setback with another swing and miss hire. The fan base is about to be non existent and we needs results ASAP.

And zero coaching experience. UTEP shouldn't be a starter school for the head coach. Maybe if Demps does well and were ever hired then he could bring on Palmer as a QB coach (but I would gather that Palmer is just fine doing what he does now).
Primetime didn't have a head coaching experience. All Palmer needs to do is hire good assistants . Palmer would be brought in for his connections and hopefully he could bring in a top notch QB?

Palmer, is working with the XFL. HE IS NOT COMING TO BE AN ASSISTANT COACH. I believe he is a development quarterback coach for the entire XFL,
XFL wont last, i dont want Palmer as a assistant coach. I want him for head coach.

Primetime didn't have a head coaching experience. All Palmer needs to do is hire good assistants . Palmer would be brought in for his connections and hopefully he could bring in a top notch QB?
I see the comparisons. Both have been on TV.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT