ADVERTISEMENT

Joe Golding Interview

nattybry

MI Miner Maniac
Jul 7, 2003
So Joe Golding pretty much said who's the planned starting lineup I'm so many words. He also said they're looking for a 4 that can create his own shot and rebound. Seems to be ok with the shooters brought in and on the roster.

G- Devon Barnes
G- Corey Camper
G- David Terrell
G/F- Otis Frazier
C- Kevin Kalu

So Joe Golding pretty much said who's the planned starting lineup I'm so many words. He also said they're looking for a 4 that can create his own shot and rebound. Seems to be ok with the shooters brought in and on the roster.

G- Devon Barnes
G- Corey Camper
G- David Terrell
G/F- Otis Frazier
C- Kevin Kalu

I dont want Kalu starting. Go with a 4 guard lineup and a forward. A big man that can't score is useless.

I dont want Kalu starting. Go with a 4 guard lineup and a forward. A big man that can't score is useless.
They are going with a 4 guard line up he said. I'm sure he's considering Frazier more of a Guard/Forward. Still need a big man in College. Unless UTEP uses its last recruit for a more efficient scoring Big, Kalu will most likely start.

Golding said Kalu is a top defender, but that they are going to work on offense all summer and that EVERYBODY will shoot better from 3. So we should be good. 10 deep.
But he doesn't even rebound. I hate to compare college to the NBA, but Im watching the Knicks, I'm a Knicks fan. They do the big man with 4 guard lineup and it works. I know it sounds crazy but I would try Frazier at the 5 and go with 4 guards. Frazier is a big guy he isn't skinny and he hustles. I would do

PG Barnes
G Terrel
G Camper
G grad transfer
F Frazier.

6th man Kalu

But he doesn't even rebound. I hate to compare college to the NBA, but Im watching the Knicks, I'm a Knicks fan. They do the big man with 4 guard lineup and it works. I know it sounds crazy but I would try Frazier at the 5 and go with 4 guards. Frazier is a big guy he isn't skinny and he hustles. I would do

PG Barnes
G Terrel
G Camper
G grad transfer
F Frazier.

6th man Kalu
We have 3 centers and Jones. No need to go that small. We would get dominated in the paint even worse than we have.

IMO Jones need to get more minutes this year.

I do agree that our center needs to be a rebounding shot blocker if he can't score. I was hoping Mbengue would be that guy, but Kalu will start.

We have 3 centers and Jones. No need to go that small. We would get dominated in the paint even worse than we have.

I do agree that our center needs to be a rebounding shot blocker if he can't score. I was hoping Mbengue would be that guy, but Kalu will start.
Agree. To be fair, Kalu is undersized as a center. He is by far the best big high hedge defender on the team, and has improved alot since his freshman year. He really should have taken a redshirt year, but was needed due to lack of depth. Hopefully, Hamilton will continue to improve his conditioning (and defense). The team looks alot better offensively when they can play inside out. Also, don't sleep on Bynum either. If Golding can pick up an impactful forward, on paper, the team looks to be solid.

PG Barnes
G Terrel
G Camper
G grad transfer
F Frazier.

6th man Kalu
Well maybe you can go help recruit the Grad Transfer Big Man that's going to start Fili, but as of now he's not on campus.

Agree. To be fair, Kalu is undersized as a center. He is by far the best big high hedge defender on the team, and has improved alot since his freshman year. He really should have taken a redshirt year, but was needed due to lack of depth. Hopefully, Hamilton will continue to improve his conditioning (and defense). The team looks alot better offensively when they can play inside out. Also, don't sleep on Bynum either. If Golding can pick up an impactful forward, on paper, the team looks to be solid.
I wonder how much hedging we will have this year with the loss pf our defensive coach

I wonder how much hedging we will have this year with the loss pf our defensive coach
I don't think it will have much/any effect, TBH. That's Golding's defensive approach, and ideally is how he recruits to that spot. I think losing Cox may be a factor in developing big men moving forward.

2 links are better than one I guess lol
Hot Dog Meatballs GIF

Reactions: kickballpro

The guards could help with rebounding. The big man has been cut from basketball. NBA basically took it out of All Star game. To win in today's basketball is you need ball handlers, shooters and athletes. I think having a big man slows a team down. I think it's too late to improve Kalus offensive game.

The guards could help with rebounding. The big man has been cut from basketball. NBA basically took it out of All Star game. To win in today's basketball is you need ball handlers, shooters and athletes. I think having a big man slows a team down. I think it's too late to improve Kalus offensive game.
Another brilliant post. Yeah, UCONN, Purdue, and NC State all had something in common that only one other school had along with them. They all made the final 4. Oh yeah, they also had dominant big men. But according to you, the big man has been cut from basketball. Ok.

Another brilliant post. Yeah, UCONN, Purdue, and NC State all had something in common that only one other school had along with them. They all made the final 4. Oh yeah, they also had dominant big men. But according to you, the big man has been cut from basketball. Ok.
Exactly, not to mention the NBA and College hoops run completely different styles of offense (and defense for that matter).

Last edited:
Jokic, embiid, wembanyama. The big man has come back. Last 4 mvps and future mvp

That was a great interview!
Golding talks at light speed and explains all about the status of college sports, recent past and present. He explains about all the teams he's has since arriving at UTEP, and he gave me a thorough picture that I didn't have before.
Interesting that the year we lost Souley and all the other players was because UTEP didn't have an NIL collective set up. That seems like big news to me.
If you haven't yet...Listen to it!
When did Floyd, Barbee or Terry ever give an interview like this?

Last edited:
Jokic, embiid, wembanyama. The big man has come back. Last 4 mvps and future mvp
Those are different types of bigs. They're the new era of bigs, what do they all have in common?? They have to shoot the long ball. I can't believe you would use those 3 as and example. You just proving my point .

Look at what happened to Dwight Howard and DeAndre Jordan. They were needed 10 years ago but now one is playing somewhere in China and the other is buried in the bench.

Old fashion bigs clog up the paint and get in the way. Give me a Arnette Moultrie type of a big and 4 guards and that team would be good.

Golding even said that he will be playing 4 guards. You see i do know what im talking about he pretty much said what i was saying. You guys should be taking notes.

He also said team is going to the Bahamas and that they will be playing a tournament in Vegas.

Those are different types of bigs. They're the new era of bigs, what do they all have in common?? They have to shoot the long ball. I can't believe you would use those 3 as and example. You just proving my point .

Look at what happened to Dwight Howard and DeAndre Jordan. They were needed 10 years ago but now one is playing somewhere in China and the other is buried in the bench.
Bro you missed the point. NBA vs College is not the same. Last year the two teams who were in the NCAA Championship game and if you add NC State in the final 4 had Dominate Bigs! Those guys were definitely not bringing it up the floor, they were trees in the Paint! Kalu isn't a dominant Big Man like them, but you get the point. You can't compare the College game to the NBA game. To your point though that's why Zack Edey from Purdue even though dominate isn't not as highly regarded going into the NBA Draft. So you're pretty accurate about the NBA, but not College.

Last edited:
Golding even said that he will be playing 4 guards. You see i do know what im talking about he pretty much said what i was saying. You guys should be taking notes.

He also said team is going to the Bahamas and that they will be playing a tournament in Vegas.
I already posted the starting lineup as Otis Frazier is considering a G/F. Kalu would be the 5th starter unless Golding brings in a high quality transfer at the 5 that's 6-9 or above, Kalu is starting Period!

Reactions: minerfan_14
I already posted the starting lineup as Otis Frazier is considering a G/F. Kalu would be the 5th starter unless Golding brings in a high quality transfer at the 5 that's 6-9 or above, Kalu is starting Period!
Do you think Kalu would start at Western Kentucky or Liberty? How about NMSU?

Old fashion bigs clog up the paint and get in the way. Give me a Arnette Moultrie type of a big and 4 guards and that team would be good.
The big man has not been cut from basketball Fili. You have no argument there. Are some of the NBA bigs more skilled to work away from the basket? Yes, but there are plenty of rim runners in college and the NBA right now too.

Too bad we missed that lineup with Moultrie in 10-11' and potentially with Hunter in 15-16. I agree those lineups would have been tough.

The big man has not been cut from basketball Fili. You have no argument there. Are some of the NBA bigs more skilled to work away from the basket? Yes, but there are plenty of rim runners in college and the NBA right now too.

Too bad we missed that lineup with Moultrie in 10-11' and potentially with Hunter in 15-16. I agree those lineups would have been tough.
Filli is going to go recruit a 6-10/6-11 athletic 4/5 that can shoot from 3, post up, block shots, guard at an elite level and who will come to Utep on a Chicos Tacos 🌮 NIL deal with unlimited green chili!

Last edited:
Bro you missed the point. NBA vs College is not the same. Last year the two teams who were in the NCAA Championship game and if you add NC State in the final 4 had Dominate Bigs! Those guys were definitely not bringing it up the floor, they were trees in the Paint! Kalu isn't a dominant Big Man like them, but you get the point. You can't compare the College game to the NBA game. To your point though that's why Zack Edey from Purdue even though dominate isn't not as highly retarded going into the NBA Draft. So you're pretty accurate about the NBA, but not College.
Hey hey there’s no need to use slurs

It's so cringy when the Miner Talk guy over exaggerates everything. Golding talks like he's the savior of the program and some of the players keep reiterating how they could have left the program. How about we keep it real, improve and win something first.

The team and Golding made a nice run to finish the season, but that's it. If that made guys feel more committed to run it back then great. The goal is to win a CUSA championship, CUSA tournament and games in the NCAA. That's it.

I could give 2 shits about all the rest..

Last year Kalu the LMU game, he played 27 minutes and only had 2 points . If Kalu transfered to another school He wouldn't start.

It's so cringy when the Miner Talk guy over exaggerates everything. Golding talks like he's the savior of the program and some of the players keep reiterating how they could have left the program. How about we keep it real, improve and win something first.

The team and Golding made a nice run to finish the season, but that's it. If that made guys feel more committed to run it back then great. The goal is to win a CUSA championship, CUSA tournament and games in the NCAA. That's it.

I could give 2 shits about all the rest..

I completely agree. He almost sounds like a snake oil salesman.

Reactions: axingfools1
Kind of more like he knows what we don’t need. No big men. And for the love of gawd, no boxing out while rebounding. It is outdated and wholly unnecessary in today’s game.
Listen to Josh Hart he says the same thing I did about not boxing out. While the big man is boxing out, guards like Josh Hart jump over them or go where the ball is going . He says that he doesn't really box out .

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT