ADVERTISEMENT

Katia leaves Utep

The lady Miners are 10-3 . Coach Baker has done a pretty good job considering he lost Katia and other key players last year. Katia is not shining at Tulsa like she did at UTEP.

Reactions: axingfools1
That’s surprising to me. Wonder if he’s been playing through injury or something along those lines.
But at the same time she was the top dog on that UTEP team and the offense ran through her. I don’t think there are many players can waltz into a new program and take the role of top dog.

But at the same time she was the top dog on that UTEP team and the offense ran through her. I don’t think there are many players can waltz into a new program and take the role of top dog.
Boum was ready. Kennedy and Katia not quite. Just my opinion.

I agree, but I was responding to axingfools’ post about Joe Pleasant.

Boum was ready. Kennedy and Katia not quite. Just my opinion.
Boum is simply a better player overall, on both ends. It was a travesty he was not selected first team CUSA last year. Kennedy is a high volume scorer at the mid major level. His offensive inefficiency is not masked by his athleticism at the Memphis level. Katia made a mistake moving up from the UTEP level. While she is skilled, she is limited athletically. Last year, she was not as effective trying go be more of a scorer versus a distributor. Baker did well in recruiting to replace her this year.

Last edited:
Boum is simply a better player overall, on both ends. It was a travesty he was not selected first team CUSA last year. Kennedy is a high volume scorer at the mid major level. His offensive inefficiency is not masked by his athleticism at the Memphis level. Katia made a mistake moving up from the UTEP level. While she is skilled, she is limited athletically. Last year, she was not as effective trying go be more of a scorer versus a distributor. Baker did well in recruiting to replace her this year.
You’re being nice bro. Lol Katia was turnover machine for almost every year except her sophomore year and one of the most inefficient scoring guards to wear a UTEP jersey. Career 30% FG shooter, addition by subtraction for the Lady Mineras, but I fully agree.

You’re being nice bro. Lol Katia was turnover machine for almost every year except her sophomore year and one of the most inefficient scoring guards to wear a UTEP jersey. Career 30% FG shooter, addition by subtraction for the Lady Mineras, but I fully agree.
Yep, I hear you Bigwood. I was going to use the "addition by subtraction" analogy as well. I hadn't seen an implosion like last year's women's team since Terry's team out in Hawaii. Just some really bad basketball out of Baker's team, and alot of that was related to Katia, who was way too ball dominant.

This year's team looks better, but I'm not sure they can get over the hump. I wonder if Baker will have a complete team this year. Will Petree ever make it back?

Reactions: Roy_Bigwood_05
This year's team looks better, but I'm not sure they can get over the hump. I wonder if Baker will have a complete team this year. Will Petree ever make it back?

I don't see a dominant athlete that can take over a game or go get a stop or a bucket at will. But, I do see a good team that is executing the coach's system well and is finding it's rhythm. They move the ball well, are unselfish, and believe in each other. If they get hot going into conference play, they have a shot.

Katia has missed quite a few games for Tulsa this season, possibly due to an injury. Regardless the games she has played up to now have been subpar. Playing time down, just 2.0 ppg, etc. I think maybe she is regretting the decision just a little. I mean she had a good thing going at UTEP. Honestly I wouldn’t be surprised if she chose to transfer again after this season.

Since around 1997 Mexico allows dual citizenship or more than two citizenships. I have a friend from Juarez who married a guy from Spain, her son was born at Thomason (UMC) and he has Mexican, American and Spanish Citizenship.

Reactions: EPUTEP
:confused:

Did she grow up in Mexico and play high school in Franklin like Lalo Najera? Is she from El Paso and was recruited by scouts from Mexico? Was she playing on both sides of the border and was recruited in Juarez?

:confused:

Did she grow up in Mexico and play high school in Franklin like Lalo Najera? Is she from El Paso and was recruited by scouts from Mexico? Was she playing on both sides of the border and was recruited in Juarez?

Gallegos was born in Juárez and moved to the United States when she was 8.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT