ADVERTISEMENT

LMU MBB Game Thread

I was curious who would be calling the game. Asher Low will be filling in for Teicher. Asher Low is the public address announcer for Pepperdine.

UTEP +3.5, total 144.5 at open.

I’d have LMU an 8 point favorite from a betting angle and the under did some research last night and they are def better than Bradley. Idk about their size from looking at numbers this is a mismatch for UTEP.

UTEP +3.5, total 144.5 at open.

I’d have LMU an 8 point favorite from a betting angle and the under did some research last night and they are def better than Bradley. Idk about their size from looking at numbers this is a mismatch for UTEP.
Really? -8 and definitely better than Bradley? Sounds like you did some research so I respect your opinion, but I don't think that's completely accurate. No. 1 I don't think they are definitely better than Bradley so far early in the season at least. They may end up being better at the end of the season, who knows. I'm not sure why you think that. Wins vs UAB and Utah St. are way better than anything LMU has. They also have lost 3 already. To a good Yale team, a so so SFA team and a sub par Oakland team. They have lots of good transfers, but haven't gelled quite yet. They're not better than Bradley right now in any way based on what I see. With that said, I don't think it'll be easy. It's a true road game and this team can hit 3s and beat some ranked teams last year, but it's mostly a new team this year. -3.5 is about right for the home court advantage, but Utep wins!

Miners 81
Lions 76

Really? -8 and definitely better than Bradley? Sounds like you did some research so I respect your opinion, but I don't think that's completely accurate. No. 1 I don't think they are definitely better than Bradley so far early in the season at least. They may end up being better at the end of the season, who knows. I'm not sure why you think that. Wins vs UAB and Utah St. are way better than anything LMU has. They also have lost 3 already. To a good Yale team, a so so SFA team and a sub par Oakland team. They have lots of good transfers, but haven't gelled quite yet. They're not better than Bradley right now in any way based on what I see. With that said, I don't think it'll be easy. It's a true road game and this team can hit 3s and beat some ranked teams last year, but it's mostly a new team this year. -3.5 is about right for the home court advantage, but Utep wins!

Miners 81
Lions 76
Miners by 10.

Reactions: groundrounds

Miners 81
Lions 76
I look at adjust D1 advanced metrics rankings, situational spots and not eye test wins because they paint a great and consistent picture of matchup weakness/strength on paper. LMU is elite on offense where UTEP is weak on defense, mid range area and inside the paint and at the rim. LMU also defends the three very well and UTEP is shooting under 30 percent so far in their four real games and is playing its first true road game. LMU also gets to the FT line at a high percentage which is why they are top 90 in offensive efficiency I could see UTEP getting in foul trouble early and having trouble giving up things inside if UTEP’s elite ball pressure breaks down. UTEP is also 303rd in offensive efficiency against a top 200 efficient defense which simply shows what UTEP is against D-1 opponents they are sloppy in stretches and not a great shooting team in the half court setting and LMU gets back in transition D ranking 80th in defending against a turnover in the open court again a bad match up for nerdy numbers but we shall see.

Plus Zid Powell looked pretty beat up this week and not efficient versus when he’s been fresh that is something I’ll be watching, fourth game in the week and an extended road trip is a tough spot for UTEP to find energy against a team that they have to be Uber focued for and have to find entry if they find themselves down early in this spot.
All this nerdy ass advanced stats can improve for UTEP but they are glaring weakness against what LMU has done well if you take off the orange goggles of a 3-0 start to the real season.

I look at adjust D1 advanced metrics rankings, situational spots and not eye test wins because they paint a great and consistent picture of matchup weakness/strength on paper. LMU is elite on offense where UTEP is weak on defense, mid range area and inside the paint and at the rim. LMU also defends the three very well and UTEP is shooting under 30 percent so far in their four real games and is playing its first true road game. LMU also gets to the FT line at a high percentage which is why they are top 90 in offensive efficiency I could see UTEP getting in foul trouble early and having trouble giving up things inside if UTEP’s elite ball pressure breaks down. UTEP is also 303rd in offensive efficiency against a top 200 efficient defense which simply shows what UTEP is against D-1 opponents they are sloppy in stretches and not a great shooting team in the half court setting and LMU gets back in transition D ranking 80th in defending against a turnover in the open court again a bad match up for nerdy numbers but we shall see.

Plus Zid Powell looked pretty beat up this week and not efficient versus when he’s been fresh that is something I’ll be watching, fourth game in the week and an extended road trip is a tough spot for UTEP to find energy against a team that they have to be Uber focued for and have to find entry if they find themselves down early in this spot.
All this nerdy ass advanced stats can improve for UTEP but they are glaring weakness against what LMU has done well if you take off the orange goggles of a 3-0 start to the real season.
Nice breakdown I have to admit, but I still got Utep by a slim margin.

What channel is UTEP at Loyola Marymount? How to watch the Miners play for a title

El Paso Times
The UTEP men's basketball team heads to Loyola Marymount in a good place despite coming off its first loss, a 63-59 loss to Bradley that left it 5-1. The Miners are looking to kickstart their offense but feel good about their toughness after splitting games at the SoCal Classic and now look to finish the road trip strong before returning to El Paso.

Their 60-mile trip from San Luis Capistrano to Los Angeles is actually considerably easier than LMU's trip to its home gym, as the Lions were in the Grand Cayman Islands earlier this week. They come in 3-3, with their last game a win against Conference USA school Florida International.

What channel is UTEP at Loyola Marymount on?

• TV channel: ESPN+
  • Radio: 600 ESPN El Paso

UTEP at Loyola Marymount start time, venue

• Date: Nov. 25
  • Time: 5 p.m. Mountain
  • Venue: Gersten Pavillion, Los Angeles
More:CUSA men's basketball schedule

Who is Loyola Marymount?

• Record: 3-3
  • 2022-23 record: 19-12
  • Conference: West Coast Conference
  • Bret Bloomquist can be reached at bbloomquist@elpasotimes.com; @Bretbloomquist on Twitter

1x1.png

Bruh, just got home from day drinking and IDK how drunk I am, but Utep looks like Shi*+ LMU doesn't look good at all, we just look like complete crap! Hope the 2nd half changes and why is Horton playing? What'd I miss?

Reactions: Dmanminer
Not saying it doesn’t need an update, but this place looks worse than most El Paso high schools.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT