ADVERTISEMENT

Louisiana Tech

We won’t get to know how good BYU really is. They have a schedule full of g5 teams. Over the last few years they’ve been very inconsistent. One week they’ll beat a top 10 team and later in the season lose at home to a six loss MAC team. I’m not convinced they’re anything better than the G5 teams they’ll play.

Wait, hold up jcorona. So a team that has obliterated its competition, one team of which you have touted as being pretty good, and you’re saying BYU is only as good as the G5 competition it’s played?!? Did I get that right?

BYU’s defense has had 24 points scored against them their first 3 games compared to the 148 they’ve put up. They gain like 575 yards of offense per game and the defense gives up a paltry 215 yards per game.

Not sure if you’ve watched them, but they’re on another level from the typical G5 programs you say they’re only as good as. The eye test will tell you that much. Then add in their stats, and it’s not even close.

They may lose a game they shouldn’t because it is f*#king hard to go undefeated, but this is the most well rounded BYU team in quite some time. They are close to UCF a few years ago good. Or UH 2015 good.

I know you know your shit so I’m just surprised at your comparison. I’m guessing you haven’t watched them play.

Oh, and if they hadn’t called the dawgs off at the 13:00 minutes mark of the 4th, they could’ve actually destroyed La Tech, who you’ve said is pretty good. Just sayin’, my friend.

Last edited:
Reactions: TxRdKiller
They look impressive against two good G5 teams. Navy and Tech had great years last season. Troy has a new coach and still has a lot of question marks.

They’re better than your average top G5 team. By a good margin. At this point in the season.

We won’t get to see them play against the top P5 teams. IMO that’s how you truly show your worth.

They look impressive against two good G5 teams. Navy and Tech had great years last season. Troy has a new coach and still has a lot of question marks.

They’re better than your average top G5 team. By a good margin. At this point in the season.

We won’t get to see them play against the top P5 teams. IMO that’s how you truly show your worth.
BYU can go fly a kite, but they are darn good this year. Their performance is impressive but will just miss the playoffs.

UTEP D better have a good week of practice and be ready to fight off blocks. UTEP secondary will make or break UTEP next Saturday because La Tech will sling that ball around.

I admit BYU is better than I thought or La Tech is worse than I thought. Either one of those is true or both. Regardless, Utep usually plays La Tech pretty well and we'll have a chance if we play like last week in all phases.

Reactions: MineroFanatico
Since LT joined CUSA this is the first time both teams enter the contest with a winning record. The last time we both met with a winning record was in 2004 as members of the WAC. Our only modern win vs them.

3-1 UTEP vs 2-1 LT

1-5 UTEP vs 6-1 LT; L 42-21

0-6 UTEP vs 4-2 LT; L 31-24

0-10 UTEP vs 4-6 LT; L 42-21

1-3 UTEP vs 1-3 LT; L 28-7

4-6 UTEP vs 7-3 LT; L 17-15

2-2 UTEP vs 2-3 LT; L 55-3

1-3 UTEP vs 1-4 LT; L 38-35

4-2 UTEP vs 4-3 LT; W 44-27

Still don't have an accurate idea about LATech. Their offensive game wasn't all that impressive and maybe BYU is that good, but very hard to gage how good they are. OTOH just about every team in CUSA is at the same level except may Marshall and maybe UAB, they rest seem very pedestrian.

Reactions: NewYorkCityMiner
Still don't have an accurate idea about LATech. Their offensive game wasn't all that impressive and maybe BYU is that good, but very hard to gage how good they are. OTOH just about every team in CUSA is at the same level except may Marshall and maybe UAB, they rest seem very pedestrian.
La Tech can sling that ball around. UTEP needs to fight off blocks well. ACU was as close to La Tech offense that I have seen, hence maybe why ACU QB transfer is now signal calling for Tech.

It's Official:

It will be played underneath the LED lighting at Joe Aillet Stadium at 5:30 PM MDT/ 6:30 PM CDT on ESPN2.

UTEP will be in the game if they do two things...take of the ball and not give up big plays. We have done a good job in both these departments (sans UT) and if we can continue these trends we will have a chance.

First off, we have been waiting for this game with anticipation. Is this offense the real deal? La Tech has been a monkey on the back of UTEP.

The next 12 or so hours is crucial as the hurricane hits the coast now but it look like the game will be a slog and very soggy game.

First off, we have been waiting for this game with anticipation. Is this offense the real deal? La Tech has been a monkey on the back of UTEP.

The next 12 or so hours is crucial as the hurricane hits the coast now but it look like the game will be a slog and very soggy game.

Have no fear Flyin' Miners by 7.. that will makes us 4 - 1 baby

Rain will end before kickoff. Weather shouldn't be a factor in the game.
TWC does show it stopping by 4 pm CST. Assuming all tests are negative it should be a good game. UTEP has done a great job keeping covid at bay especially being in a large city with bad spiking numbers the past week.

Don't blow it now fellas, you got a week to heal, rest and study tape and you all are playing your best in years.

(2) Local weather says no rain as well before kickoff and 74 degrees by kickoff and slight breeze.

Let's get it on. I've been waiting for this game but first I have to survive Mrs 2step' Red River game since she's a UT alum and it's personal since her siblings and other family are OU alums. Anyone need their lawn mowed, car washed or weeds pulled at 10 am?

Game day!! Been a while since I’ve been this excited about a UTEP football game. Win or lose, I’m hoping we see some of the major strides that we witnessed two weeks ago transfer over to this nemesis...this conference foe who has had our number since 2004. Solid defense, an existent pass attack and a run game that resembles something other than the 2 yards and a cloud of dust philosophy we’ve become all too familiar with. Let’s go MINERS!!

My guess is that this will be a reality check game for UTEP. They've squeaked by a few FCS teams, and padded some individual stats in doing so.

My prediction-- LA Tech by 25+, although I honestly haven't watched a single second of UTEP football this year, so that's just going off numbers/stats...

Reactions: JCorona
My guess is that this will be a reality check game for UTEP. They've squeaked by a few FCS teams, and padded some individual stats in doing so.

My prediction-- LA Tech by 25+, although I honestly haven't watched a single second of UTEP football this year, so that's just going off numbers/stats...
ACS game was a good indicator what to see because they run a similar offense to to La Tech with same tempo. Second, ACS had good FBS transfers going against UTEP and UTEP did a good job.

What La Tech has is the psych factor. If you're in the second half of your career as a Miner player that seed is in the back of your mind, "Oh no! Here we go again against these guys!". UTEP has to get past that if this game is close. Best way to do it is come out slugging the Bulldogs, just like they did against ULM.

From the Orange Sunglasses cam: Can UTEP pull an upset and break LA Tech's 7 game home winning streak?
It appears that Hurricane Delta will be in the rear view mirror but it's going to be hot and humid in Ruston.

The Miners have played 4 games and the Bulldogs 3. LA Tech is 3-1 with a 1 point win at Southern Miss and a 31 point loss at BYU. The Bulldogs have only played one home game by walloping Houston Baptist, but they allowed the Huskies to score 38 points. In fact, the Bulldogs haven't kept anyone under 30 points yet this year.

But, LA Tech returns to their home turf after getting pounded by BYU and will be looking for someone to beat up.
Look for the Miners to be able to score, but can they outscore the Bulldogs? Probably not. LA Tech will bring more confidence to the game than the Miners and they'll be happy to be home after the game at BYU last week.
Bulldogs 38

Miners 35

I tend to agree but hopefully the ones that get a reality check is cusa west as UTEP announces itself as a contender tonight.

Reactions: groundrounds
I can’t wait for the game to start. Thanks to UTEP playing so much on cable I had to buy a month or two of sling. Ready for this one!

Reactions: MineroFanatico
The offense needs.to get this one back, and the defense needs to play much better than they did on this opening drive.

Reactions: Lil_Train
Not a good start. Poor anticipation by the defense. 47 (MLB) ran right into the pack and left a huge gap by doing so. Dumb!

Reactions: Lil_Train
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT