ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Next Big Thing for El Paso?

What will be El Paso's next big thing to come?

• State of the Art Aquarium

Votes: 2 4.3%
  • Great Wolf Lodge / Other form of new waterpark

Votes: 15 32.6%
  • New Amusement Park

Votes: 7 15.2%
  • New Pro Team (pending Arena resolve)

Votes: 5 10.9%
  • IKEA / Other Large Retailer

Votes: 11 23.9%
  • Other (fill in blank)

Votes: 6 13.0%

• Total voters
I think anyone who has spent significant time in El Paso as an adult, should be skeptical or cautious about anything the city is involved in. The only major project I can remember being completed on time, is the ballpark. The children’s museum will be “ready” in August, but when was it supposed to be done? How is that street project on Pellicano going? Of course we have the lovely downtown “arena” debacle.

Anyone claiming “big acts” are coming is full of shit. Beyoncé, Taylor Swift, Justin Timberlake, etc, they’re still not stepping foot in El Paso. This venue will attract Korn, Disturbed, Bruno Mars, and anyone that has ever played Speaking Rock or the Coliseum.

My daily life is spent growing and expanding El Paso to create a better life for everyone (even you Nattybry). My negative take on the amphitheater is a realistic one based on how our City Govt. literally chases the headline and then pushes the project aside letting it fail. I hope this project turns out to be a Class-A project and brings entertainers to El Paso that we have never been able to pull.

The hotels next to the project at the Candlewood and Towneplace Suites. Both are total dumps and not hotels that would be part of any major project like this. I know that a local developer was in talks to bring a high-end hotel to this project but the City was so difficult to work with that he terminated discussions.
Maybe they can resurrect that Great Wolf Lodge plan that was scrapped and build it near the new amphitheater.

I think anyone who has spent significant time in El Paso as an adult, should be skeptical or cautious about anything the city is involved in. The only major project I can remember being completed on time, is the ballpark. The children’s museum will be “ready” in August, but when was it supposed to be done? How is that street project on Pellicano going? Of course we have the lovely downtown “arena” debacle.

Anyone claiming “big acts” are coming is full of shit. Beyoncé, Taylor Swift, Justin Timberlake, etc, they’re still not stepping foot in El Paso. This venue will attract Korn, Disturbed, Bruno Mars, and anyone that has ever played Speaking Rock or the Coliseum.
Those musicians that you named sellout football stadiums and nobody expects them to come to a 12.5k venue. However, it wasn't that long ago that Peso Pluma was at the Coliseum. He would have much rather played in front of 12.5k than the amount of people at the Coliseum he played in front of. He's definitely not my type of music but he's a major act. As a matter of fact he was one of the final acts at the Coachella main stage a few weeks ago. I'm guessing that they're going to focus on a lot of those types of acts which makes sense. A big act to you isn't the same as a big act to everyone else. Many people in this town would much rather see Peso Pluma than Justin Timberlake.

Last edited:
I think this is the next big thing in El Paso. Bring on the hype.

I haven’t seen this kid play, but he looks like the real deal. He’s not very tall for a QB at 6’ ft, but he’s only a sophomore and will most likely will keep growing. He is a 4 star recruit according to 247 sports. He’s got a total of 6 scholarship offers including 4 P5 offers and the offers will only increase. I’m glad the Miners are recruiting him too.

“Incorrect statements” I feel like we’ve heard something very similar regarding the arena. Sad to see.
"UTEP issued a statement to El Paso Matters Monday afternoon that said the university became aware in early April of potential errors in its proposal to the NSF for the Regional Innovation Engines program. An in-house review determined that the statements in question committed resources to the NSF that the institution did not have, according to the statement."

Someone made up money.

Reactions: JCorona
How does the saying go, “you can put lipstick on a pig …” or “you can put sugar on shit …”
Along with the amphitheater, at least they are trying to be progressive right? Even though we all know our officials will screw it up or something corrupt will arise from it like everything else. Our school districts can’t even lead by example with integrity or honesty.

They have a Place in Myrtle Beach like this called Broadway at the Beach. and its pretty cool. But Somehow I don't think it will be anything like this

The irony lies in those who departed from El Paso asserting that those who remained are hindering the city's progress.
Lol, can't argue this one very much I guess 😂 Only want to see El Paso prosper though and I defend it every chance I get.

I guess we will see... If and what Big Acts come through. Also going to an amphitheater in Albuquerque isn't any different than going to one in El Paso. Similar size, Similar isolation, Similar Size Airport, etc... So if the venue is comparable I'm not sure why you would think the Acts would have an issue vs these 2. So I disagree there. Also EP is a big EDM town and I'm sure it'll attract those type DJs as well!

Reactions: FedupMiner
I guess we will see... If and what Big Acts come through. Also going to an amphitheater in Albuquerque isn't any different than going to one in El Paso. Similar size, Similar isolation, Similar Size Airport, etc... So if the venue is comparable I'm not sure why you would think the Acts would have an issue vs these 2. So I disagree there. Also EP is a big EDM town and I'm sure it'll attract those type DJs as well!

EDM?

Is that still a thing?

I’ve seen some “big names” at the Austin amphitheater. It only seats around 15k. I think the artists will go to El Paso if they have somewhere new and nice to play at.

They have a Place in Myrtle Beach like this called Broadway at the Beach. and its pretty cool. But Somehow I don't think it will be anything like this

Broadway at the beach is nice, but El Paso isisai
EDM?

Is that still a thing?
Absolutely! Not for me at my age, but these EDM DJ Concerts are still very Big Money!!! El Paso had Desert Music Fest for awhile that would attract thousands. Still huge in Vegas and other venues around the county. Young people still love Raves, even some older people lol

🤷‍♂️Broadway at the beach is nice, but El Paso isisai

Absolutely! Not for me at my age, but these EDM DJ Concerts are still very Big Money!!! El Paso had Desert Music Fest for awhile that would attract thousands. Still huge in Vegas and other venues around the county. Young people still love Raves, even some older people lol

Wow. I guess I've gotten really, really old. I have no clue what "isisai," "EDM," or "Raves" are. 🤷‍♂️

Wow. I guess I've gotten really, really old. I have no clue what "isisai," "EDM," or "Raves" are. 🤷‍♂️
You ain’t that old, RdKiller. Raves became popular in the early 90s. Whereas they weren’t for everyone, If you liked psychedelics at all, raves were sure an easy place to score them….and get laid.

Now, I do only know what EDM is because I have two boys in their mid to late 20s.

I don’t know what the **** the other is.

Last edited:
"The university said Choudhuri’s grant proposal improperly identified assets that would be used in the program – airport hangars and land in El Paso’s Lower Valley. "

Um. He lied. Of course a bunch of politicians would be up in arms when someone is reprimanded for lying. F em.
He does say that the proposal went through a review process and was approved.

He does say that the proposal went through a review process and was approved.

The El Paso Buzzards were starting a Youth Hockey League. They were going to sublet their ice time to a local organization and the County stepped in and shut down the league because it wasn’t the Buzzards Ice to loan out. The Coliseum belong to the county.

The Fabens Airport is owned by El Paso County. Reading this article, seems like something similar could have possibly happened here as well. This is the County run and maintained airport. UTEP and the City/County have difficulties with partnerships. I don't know why, maybe it’s cause UTEP used imminent domain to take the Sun Bowl?

Reactions: FarWestTexas
With a grant proposal of this magnitude and importance, there is no way that it wasn't reviewed and approved by the highest levels of UTEP's administration, city and county partners, as well. There's enough blame to go around to EVERYONE in the chain of command in this debacle. As far as the politicians' complaints, they are just passing the blame on to Wilson because she's the easiest target at this point.

GO MINERS!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT